Well played North supporters

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Well played North supporters

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:29 am

Dogwatcher wrote:"The inclusion of the two AFL based clubs in the SANFL competition has challenged the thinking and the preparation of the existing SANFL Clubs. It has brought supporters to the games who might otherwise not be there." - Mark Mickan

Really?

To be fair he is right on both points.
Not everyone involved with the SANFL thinks that having two AFL Reserve sides is a bad thing. The North hierarchy take this viewpoint as far as I am aware.
And there are maybe 100 or so Crows supporters who rock up to games that probably wouldn't if the Crows Reserves weren't in the SANFL.

What he fails to note is that at each game there is maybe 300+ less supporters than there was last year and overall attendances and memberships are down on previous years. Most of the Crows supporters get in for free and the net effect is likely to be in the negative come the year end reports.

I can see the cartoon though........ Mickan as Pinnochio, with Trigg as Giseppi pulling the strings, whilst his little wooden nose gets longer and longer with each word, "The inclusion of the two AFL based clubs in the SANFL competition has challenged the thinking and the preparation of the existing SANFL Clubs. It has brought supporters to the games who might otherwise not be there"
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:56 pm

matt35 wrote:Well said Mickan and West Adelaide! More proof that the sook threads on here represent a parallel universe.

Obviously we are in the minority - but put yourself in the shoes of a supporter who sees their SANFL team the same way an AFL supporter sees their AFL team.

Now imagine that next season the AFL are bringing in two new teams to "lift the standard of the competition and create more interest".

One team will be known as Victoria and wear the traditional Big V - playing out of the MCG. What a great history they have.

The other team will be known as the Allies and will only play away games. They are the team for all Australians.

These two teams get to pick 24 players each, alternatively in a draft so it is fair for both of them, from any of the AFL teams at the end of season 2014, in preparation for 2015.

Obviously there will be injuries, so they will need some top up players.

The Big V will choose their 15 players, but will only be able to pay them $5,000 per game. Except for one player over 28 who they can pay as much as they like.

The Allies will get given the worst rookies in the land from AFL clubs to do with as they please. They will also only be able to be paid $5,000 per game, except for one player over 28 who they can pay as much as they like.

Would AFL supporters have a problem with that?

Now going back to being an SANFL supporter who sees their SANFL team the same way an AFL supporter sees their AFL team. We have been able to put up with plenty of changes to the competition over the last 24 years - including a drop in general public interest and coverage. We have seen AFL listed players play most of the season for our team and then pull out of finals because the "season is too long" - whether they were original home grown or otherwise. We have seen our best players get drafted to the AFL at the end of a season, never to see them again. All of that was accepted as we knew the SANFL had a place and could not compete with the attraction of the AFL.

The changes in 2014 to the SANFL are the straw that has broken the camels back.

I want to watch my Eagles every weekend because it is something I have done since my Dad took me to games in a pusher. However, I don't want to watch an unfair competition. The SANFL is clearly an unfair competition. If that is the way they want to go, for the "good of football" overall, then expect friends and family in the crowd but don't expect supporters who are there because they have that connection that a person has with their sporting team, because that connection will be cut off knowing what they are watching isn't true or genuine.

Unless the Crows or Power Reserves have added an enormous amount to the bottom line of SANFL clubs and the SANFL through them competing, business wise, the SANFL needs to cut them immediately if they want to be an entity. Otherwise the whole competition is purely a pathway at the expense of about 40 fringe AFL players and their two AFL clubs. There are still ways the SANFL can be a pathway and still be a genuine, successful competition.

That is why those players were abused, Taylor Walker. It was nothing personal. When people can see and feel something that they hold dear to them being taken away unjustly they will react in different ways. It might not be right, but you can understand. The administration of the SANFL and its clubs need to smarten up quick smart, because once it is completely broken, it is completely broken. That could well be Grand Final Day this season and it may already be too late.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby LPH » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Aerie wrote:
Unless the Crows or Power Reserves have added an enormous amount to the bottom line of SANFL clubs and the SANFL through them competing, business wise, the SANFL needs to cut them immediately if they want to be an entity. Otherwise the whole competition is purely a pathway at the expense of about 40 fringe AFL players and their two AFL clubs. There are still ways the SANFL can be a pathway and still be a genuine, successful competition.

The administration of the SANFL and its clubs need to smarten up quick smart, because once it is completely broken, it is completely broken. That could well be Grand Final Day this season and it may already be too late.

Great analogy with Big V & Allies.
Probably going cop grief for 'wrong thread'.

I contend that 1 Bold Above: That is EXACTLY what the VFL has become & the SANFL is about to follow suit - as predicted by many on here :evil:
2 Bold Above: For many 'diehards' it IS broken & that's why they've walked away :(
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby UK Fan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Aerie wrote:
matt35 wrote:Well said Mickan and West Adelaide! More proof that the sook threads on here represent a parallel universe.

Obviously we are in the minority - but put yourself in the shoes of a supporter who sees their SANFL team the same way an AFL supporter sees their AFL team.

Now imagine that next season the AFL are bringing in two new teams to "lift the standard of the competition and create more interest".

One team will be known as Victoria and wear the traditional Big V - playing out of the MCG. What a great history they have.

The other team will be known as the Allies and will only play away games. They are the team for all Australians.

These two teams get to pick 24 players each, alternatively in a draft so it is fair for both of them, from any of the AFL teams at the end of season 2014, in preparation for 2015.

The Big V will choose their 15 players, but will only be able to pay them $5,000 per game. Except for one player over 28 who they can pay as much as they like.

The Allies will get given the worst rookies in the land from AFL clubs to do with as they please. They will also only be able to be paid $5,000 per game, except for one player over 28 who they can pay as much as they like.

Now going back to being an SANFL supporter who sees their SANFL team the same way an AFL supporter sees their AFL team. We have been able to put up with plenty of changes to the competition over the last 24 years - including a drop in general public interest and coverage. We have seen AFL listed players play most of the season for our team and then pull out of finals because the "season is too long" - whether they were original home grown or otherwise. We have seen our best players get drafted to the AFL at the end of a season, never to see them again. All of that was accepted as we knew the SANFL had a place and could not compete with the attraction of the AFL.

I want to watch my Eagles every weekend because it is something I have done since my Dad took me to games in a pusher. However, I don't want to watch an unfair competition. The SANFL is clearly an unfair competition. If that is the way they want to go, for the "good of football" overall, then expect friends and family in the crowd but don't expect supporters who are there because they have that connection that a person has with their sporting team, because that connection will be cut off knowing what they are watching isn't true or genuine.

That is why those players were abused, Taylor Walker. It was nothing personal. When people can see and feel something that they hold dear to them being taken away unjustly they will react in different ways. It might not be right, but you can understand. The administration of the SANFL and its clubs need to smarten up quick smart, because once it is completely broken, it is completely broken. That could well be Grand Final Day this season and it may already be too late.

Great post.

Again, any disagreement with an AFL fan on this issue means you are immediately a biased idiot according to them. They clearly aren't though, its all altruism on their behalf.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby tipper » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:37 pm

UK Fan wrote:
Aerie wrote:

Great post.

Again, any disagreement with an AFL fan on this issue means you are immediately a biased idiot according to them. They clearly aren't though, its all altruism on their behalf.

i believe the current terms used to describe the "against" afl people are "old, set in their ways, nimbys"...... although i could be wrong. that was posted by someone who claims to be on the fence :roll: , so those that are really for the reserves sides may use other words entirely ;)
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Apachebulldog » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Jim05 wrote:GAGF Mickan

I will second that he is just another Crow Suck also referred to as a TOADY !!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:18 pm

johntheclaret wrote:

Honestly Matt.
Are you a wind up or are you actually serious.
Surely you can see that crowds are suffering. It isn't rocket science, just look at the matchday attendances.

Of course if you are just a wind up merchant posting to get a reaction then well done. However what is the motive and what is the point as most logical posters can actually see through the bullshit.

I'm not making a judgement. Who am I to do that but if you are playing on genuine SANFL fans whose emotions are running high when it comes to their league just to get a laugh, then good luck to ya. Enjoy the moment

JTC ireckon you will find that maybe some of the posters on this site are actually SANFL Commission and Crow infiltrators/plants trying to spread the good word of this fantastic new adventure we are all on !!!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:22 pm

i have never claimed to be on the fence with the opinions here, which i think border on hyperbole all too often and still think the sky is falling in.

i am still on the fence as to whether the afl clubs are a good thing in the SANFL though. probably bordering on thinking they are a negative. still think you guys have overreacted though.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby UK Fan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:i have never claimed to be on the fence with the opinions here, which i think border on hyperbole all too often and still think the sky is falling in.

i am still on the fence as to whether the afl clubs are a good thing in the SANFL though. probably bordering on thinking they are a negative. still think you guys have overreacted though.

You have made saying nothing whilst writing a thousand posts into an art-form.

Congratulations.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:45 pm

no worries, happy to help
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:i have never claimed to be on the fence with the opinions here, which i think border on hyperbole all too often and still think the sky is falling in.

You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby RB » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:39 pm

bennymacca wrote:still think you guys have overreacted though.
<Bangs head against wall>
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:42 pm

That's fine you guys have your opinion I'll have mine.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby RB » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Wait, I thought you were a fence sitter?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:47 pm

back on topic

Tex was complaining about a crows membership being thrown at the crows players but it was North Adelaides fault????
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:38 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:back on topic

Tex was complaining about a crows membership being thrown at the crows players but it was North Adelaides fault????

Personally I'd be blaming the Crows members that threw it!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:50 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Stop being so logical, I would probably blame the Richmond supporters I saw one do it once in 2003
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:56 pm

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Stop being so logical, I would probably blame the Richmond supporters I saw one do it once in 2003

Nah they microwave them
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3535 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:48 am

Those falling crowds and falling memberships mean nothing.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby maxyoz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:55 am

Wedgie wrote:

Rumour I heard from a bloke who wasn't there, he was told by a bloke who wasn't there that Tex, who wasn't there, leant his tickets to a North supporter who was too cheap to pay.

The North supporter was just returning them after the game, he couldn't find Tex, because he wasn't there, but knew that one of the players would return them on his behalf.

Typical uncouth North supporter who was too lazy to take an extra 6 steps and hand them over, so he just pelted them from where he stood - so I've been told by somebody not there.

#This may be all fiction, but that's irrelevant.
Punk Rooster wrote:I can't believe that a topic that is quite clearly trolling has elicited a 3 page response....
maxyoz
Under 18s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 36 times
Grassroots Team: Kimba Districts

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL