HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby Banker » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:28 pm

It was a strange move by the clubs (back in around 2004 from memory) to raise the colts ages from U12/U14.5 to U13/U15.
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Legs Man » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:41 am

Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:
Legs Man wrote:If the HFL allowed Echunga to be relegated - they should be sacked as administrators immediately.

Echunga is already proving itself as a worthy addition to the Central comp.

Surely there needs to be a provision in place to enable sides coming up to have a minimum of 2 - 3 seasons prior to being up for relegation.

Without this it becomes a waste of time and effort when positioning a club and gaining junior and senior recruits.

No offence.....but are you serious? Are you really suggesting that Echunga should be immune from relegation?

Just to be clear, the HFL doesn't decide who gets relegated. This is based on a HFL by-law (as voted for by clubs). In fact, it was this by-law that saw Echunga promoted.

Echunga's relegation outcome is totally controlled by them and their on-field results across all grades.

Maybe I've misinterpreted your point (apologies if I have), but surely your not suggesting that sides that finish above Echunga in the Club Shield should be relegated instead as Echunga are owed something?

Definitely not implying that Echunga should be immune to relegation.

Just stating that there should be a minimum 2 year window of opportunity for any club going up into Central therefore allowing the promoted club to set in place structures etc.

Until you are actually playing in Central it is a guessing game as to how you will fair and what is required to be a consistent performer across all grades.

With the abhorent manner in which the HFL handled Echunga's application to go up - it really put the club behind the 8 ball when recruiting for this season.

it is a different story if you know you are automatically going up as you can plan for the next year.

The promotion process was so long winded and drawn out that it was nearly Xmas before Echunga knew they were actually in.

As previously conveyed - the HFL took a stance of mistrust when Echunga guaranteed that it would field all grades and comply with the Central requirements - rather than accepting the application and reinforcing the penalties incurred should the sides not be fulfilled.

To make matters worse and an example of the HFL ignorance - they demanded names and numbers of players prior the clearance window for 2014 closing.

I agree entirely with the By Law and the penalties if a club doesn't adhere - but the HFL took it into their own hands with the Mt Lofty saga and demanded proof of all sides being fielded.

With the timeframe Echunga had to get players, sponsors and structures in place for 2014 they were not given the same as other clubs competing in the same division.

This is another example of how mismanaged the HFL is and the reason we have so many incremental problems within the league.

My comments are not solely based on Echunga bias - as I don't feel any club should be put through the indecision and inept handling of last years promotion / relegation saga.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:02 am

Off topic I know but for Echunga people, has the Hagan Arms Pub closed down?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Justquietly » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:08 am

A few things:
The Echunga side of things: this is the EXACT point I raised at the start of the season ie there was a chance they'd be competitive in one or two grades but be poor in others, therefore end up in or near the finals & get relegated. That's no good for a club trying to grow/improve.
Immunity: no-one's immune.
The Hahndorf situation: yeah it sucks that future senior players are strong there but A's & B's are a bit weak, but the rules are there ie it's based on Club Shield. That's just the way it is at the moment. I can't see an overall rule that could make everyone happy. If you weight junior wins more strongly then you could have a strong junior-based team in Central but they're getting pantsed in A's each week. This situation can also turn kids off footy.
If you step back & look at 'Club Shield;' in its essence, take out all the money, histories etc, it ticks more boxes than other solutions I've heard.
2 cents...in.
Chuck Norris makes onions cry
Justquietly
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby Legs Man » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:17 am

Dutchy wrote:Off topic I know but for Echunga people, has the Hagan Arms Pub closed down?

Hagen Arms has been taken back by the freehold owner and i believe it will be back to normal asap.

The people who had the lease were effectively kicked out - and this is a great result IMO.

Most locals had black banned the Hagen due to the attitude taken towards them. (e.g. no support for the community)
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Legs Man » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:18 am

Justquietly wrote:A few things:
The Echunga side of things: this is the EXACT point I raised at the start of the season ie there was a chance they'd be competitive in one or two grades but be poor in others, therefore end up in or near the finals & get relegated. That's no good for a club trying to grow/improve.
Immunity: no-one's immune.
The Hahndorf situation: yeah it sucks that future senior players are strong there but A's & B's are a bit weak, but the rules are there ie it's based on Club Shield. That's just the way it is at the moment. I can't see an overall rule that could make everyone happy. If you weight junior wins more strongly then you could have a strong junior-based team in Central but they're getting pantsed in A's each week. This situation can also turn kids off footy.
If you step back & look at 'Club Shield;' in its essence, take out all the money, histories etc, it ticks more boxes than other solutions I've heard.
2 cents...in.

Immunity is not required - just a 2 year window for sides promoted.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby The Panther » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 pm

cracka wrote:
The Panther wrote:I want us ( Echunga) to stay up, but the rules are the rules . So lets keep accumulating points so it is "inconsiquential" to us.

In saying this the system needs an overhaul as it is not consistent between the grades.

Maybe a survey could be run by the HFL asking all clubs what they are after from the HFL.

eg. Central Division, to remain in country division, to go back to just senior and junior colts ( no under 13's) .

This may give a better understanding of how many clubs want to go up to central , how smaller clubs forsee their future etc. Then the HFL can devise a plan for the future and accomadate their clubs.

They are in the process of doing that.

Is ASADA involved - could be a while !
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Legs Man » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:21 pm

With the amount of money that Central sides are investing - both in a playing and an infrastructure sense - it is now the time to appoint a non biased business minded person to oversee the HFL.

The current HFL hierarchy has proven they are inept and should not be able to direct the decision making process.

Backdoor deals, self interest and the capacity to sway clubs voting on crucial league decisions is no longer acceptable.

The time has come for Central clubs to fund this appointment and stand on their own thus relieving ourselves of the unprofessional nature currently in place.

It is now a semi professional league and should be treated as such.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby cracka » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:56 pm

Legs Man wrote:With the amount of money that Central sides are investing - both in a playing and an infrastructure sense - it is now the time to appoint a non biased business minded person to oversee the HFL.

The current HFL hierarchy has proven they are inept and should not be able to direct the decision making process.

Backdoor deals, self interest and the capacity to sway clubs voting on crucial league decisions is no longer acceptable.

The time has come for Central clubs to fund this appointment and stand on their own thus relieving ourselves of the unprofessional nature currently in place.

It is now a semi professional league and should be treated as such.

Why should it be just the central clubs fund it.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Legs Man » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Happy to see all HFL clubs fund a professional CEO role.

Perhaps it could be on a greater scale dependent on Central vs Country divisions.

It seems that Central clubs expend a lot more money when playing in this division as all grades must be fulfilled and player payments are higher to compete.

We could go down the number of teams participating path but it may act as a dissincentive for Country div clubs to field more sides.

Regardless of payment structure - this is desperately needed to keep the HFL in check and to provide an unbiased direction.

I am not inferring that all the HFL hierarchy are inept - but there is a good proportion who have limited ability when it comes to handling a competition which is at the dollar turnover it now is.

Not to sound like a broken record - but the handling of promotion / relegation cannot be overseen by the current HFL hierarchy as it was in 13/14 due to:

Mistrust, conveying different stories to different clubs, inability to represent the HFL in an unbiased manner, making demands - the list goes on.

Quote: A fish rots from the head down!
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby flanker » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:18 pm

Here's the link to the survey regarding the future of the HFL:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WF2ZQQ7

I see there are some questions relating to what has been discussed on here, ie: a dedicated CEO role.
flanker
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Legs Man » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Has this survey been promoted - or has the league only informed who they want to be surveyed?

Will the results be made public regardless of the feedback?

Do you trust the HFL?
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby cracka » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Legs Man wrote:Has this survey been promoted - or has the league only informed who they want to be surveyed?

Will the results be made public regardless of the feedback?

Do you trust the HFL?

Has this survey been promoted - or has the league only informed who they want to be surveyed?It was sent out to club officials with a note saying "As part of the review committee we invite all members of your club to fill in the below survey if they wish" so I would say its up to your club officials to pass it on.

Will the results be made public regardless of the feedback?Don't know. Pretty sure all survey monkey surveys are made public.

Do you trust the HFL?Yep.

You seem to have a lot of mistrust in the current board (I can understand this after the Echunga promotion debacle), new volunteers were asked for at the AGM to join the board & only 1 person did, maybe you should think about it for next year.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Legs Man » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:34 pm

Perhaps the HFL should promote this survey to all Hills residents via Hills media outlets rather than putting the onus solely on the clubs.

Certainly don't trust the current HFL - particularly after their 2 faced representation to HFL clubs during the process.

Saying one thing behind closed doors to club officials then the opposite to the clubs voting was a disgrace !

Sorry for the rant - but this must be exposed to ensure HFL clubs are aware of this tactic and don't get fooled by the:
"say what they want to hear even if it isn't what I believe or am going to do"
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby MONTE CRISTO » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:37 pm

Legsman what planet are you on. I'm not on the board, nor have any desire to be but I don't go around sledging them. If you are so concerned why don't you nominate and sort a few things out for them. To be honest I think they do a reasonable job. They have to oversee the whole League, not just a few individual clubs or one Division. Naturally they won't keep everyone happy but to pay some professional person to run things is totally incomprehensible!
MONTE CRISTO
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Sniper » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:27 pm

Legs Man wrote:If the HFL allowed Echunga to be relegated - they should be sacked as administrators immediately.

Echunga is already proving itself as a worthy addition to the Central comp.

it was however apparent when the HFL was determining whether they should be allowed up this year that it wasn't something they wanted to happen easily.

Some hidden agendas by the HFL seemed quite evident - especially when querying junior numbers etc.

Effectively they didn't trust what Echunga was putting forward as already determined junior numbers. (while they expect hills clubs to trust them after their track record of mismanagement - particularly at a junior level - absolute joke!)

Thankfully they were proven wrong with Echunga fielding all junior grades and attracting disgruntled and overflow juniors from other Central sides.

Surely there needs to be a provision in place to enable sides coming up to have a minimum of 2 - 3 seasons prior to being up for relegation.

Without this it becomes a waste of time and effort when positioning a club and gaining junior and senior recruits.[/quote]
Legs, interested to know if you have the same hard line approach for club goal umpires who enter the ground to threaten to beat up players during a colts game ???
Sniper
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Central Eyre

Postby From The Outer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:27 am

For two years in a row it is likely that you are going to have a country division premier go through undefeated after being allocated more points than they were entitled to. Describing your administration as inept is being kind.
From The Outer
Under 16s

Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby dangermouse » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:20 am

Firstly let's not forget that Mt Lofty are playing well below their points allocation so they are not actually utilising the seemingly unfair advantage you are suggesting they were given.

Secondly- If a team coming up from Country was allocated a 2 year grace period, does that condemn the Premier in Country to a second year down there? Or does it mean that the second bottom team in Central should go down?
dangermouse
Rookie

Postby The Panther » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:49 am

Just filled out the survey. Some good questions asked. If you are interested in the future direction of the HFL then I would suggest filling it out . Takes about 5 minutes .
It will be interesting how the HFL interpret the results.
The Panther
Under 16s

Postby The Panther » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:57 am

One more thing.

I don't believe our club made it public knowledge within our club that this survey was being undertaken. I would assume most clubs would be the same.
If this is the case then the survey may be skewed with only clubs officials filling it out. Most clubs demographics of officials is older ex players.

So in order to make it a survey that reaches across the board of the HFL community and gives everyone within the HFL a voice - FILL THE SURVEY OUT AND INFORM OTHERS THAT THEY CAN TOO.
The Panther
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy