Adelaide Plains Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:20 am

RooShootOhh wrote:I reckon a lot of people would be happy with this week off, especially families being first weekend of school holidays etc. Having a break can be a good thing.

The only issue for me is that it is so close to Landmark Cup bye, and team with a club bye either side of those two weekends play hardly any football over a 6 week period.

Virginia and Two Wells had a bye either side of landmark cup so Virginia 3 games in 6 weeks, Two Wells only 2 games in 5 weeks.
Then Hamley and Balak have a bye either side of Zone champs for Hamley 2 games in 5 weeks Balak 3 games in 6 weeks.

Too stop start for teams trying to get momentum in the iddle half of the season etc...

The quicker they get rid of zone footy and put more emphasis on Association footy the better!

I fail to see the relevance in any of it unless it was association of origin.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby OnSong » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:42 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
RooShootOhh wrote:I reckon a lot of people would be happy with this week off, especially families being first weekend of school holidays etc. Having a break can be a good thing.

The only issue for me is that it is so close to Landmark Cup bye, and team with a club bye either side of those two weekends play hardly any football over a 6 week period.

Virginia and Two Wells had a bye either side of landmark cup so Virginia 3 games in 6 weeks, Two Wells only 2 games in 5 weeks.
Then Hamley and Balak have a bye either side of Zone champs for Hamley 2 games in 5 weeks Balak 3 games in 6 weeks.

Too stop start for teams trying to get momentum in the iddle half of the season etc...

The quicker they get rid of zone footy and put more emphasis on Association footy the better!

The relevance of it is to add another level for country footballers to aspire to.
Association and Zone footy provide a stepping stone towards a higher level of footy, somewhere between the country A grade and SANFL reserve grade level, possibly higher.
For some, it will be the pinnacle of their football careers, for others, it's a chance to either go on and represent the state or better yet, get noticed by SANFL clubs.
Angus Bruggemann is a prime example, a lumbering, overweight and aggressive goat at Meningie (not my words Angus), turned it around in one season by stepping up at each level presented, ends up playing a key role at Port Adelaide the following year.
It doesn't mean much to some but I relish the opportunity to play with the best of the association and region.
It's enjoyable to line up alongside Joel Montgomerie, Caleb Howell, Ned Seccafien, Heath Pym, Ryan Appleton etc.
Maybe that's a purely selfish outlook on my part but I'll look back in years to come, when I'm too old to play, and have absolutely no regrets that I took every opportunity I could to play at a higher level, with some of the best players I've played against.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby RooShootOhh » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:27 pm

Dont get me wrong, I love Rep footy, but who are you actually representing at Zone Carnival, its just a bunch of associations lumped together, not all squads are picked on merit (ceratin leagues have to provide X amount of players even if they aren't good enough etc). Some blokes dont get picked in association squads yet still make zone teams etc plenty of imbalances.

As per my original post, if Association footy was nutured and promoted more, you would get everything you described out of it if you wanted to.
Make it a carnival with 2 or 3 divisions, relegation and promotion between the divisions based on previous years results, actually represent your association in something thats meaningful. All leagues would support it then to try and prove they are the best country league, or top 3 country leagues etc, will help bring players to their league etc.

Make all associations have a bye (as they dont now) so clubs arent trying to hide players so they play club footy instead.

If presented and run well by the CFL, the opportunities that you mention like Bruggerman will still be there if not more readily available.

I understand its great if your involved, and theres no problem with that, I just think the way its thrown together, not supported by all leagues etc, mean its overall value with never reach its maximum until the concept is put together properly and supported entirely across all leagues.
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:39 pm

OnSong wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

The relevance of it is to add another level for country footballers to aspire to.
Association and Zone footy provide a stepping stone towards a higher level of footy, somewhere between the country A grade and SANFL reserve grade level, possibly higher.
For some, it will be the pinnacle of their football careers, for others, it's a chance to either go on and represent the state or better yet, get noticed by SANFL clubs.
Angus Bruggemann is a prime example, a lumbering, overweight and aggressive goat at Meningie (not my words Angus), turned it around in one season by stepping up at each level presented, ends up playing a key role at Port Adelaide the following year.
It doesn't mean much to some but I relish the opportunity to play with the best of the association and region.
It's enjoyable to line up alongside Joel Montgomerie, Caleb Howell, Ned Seccafien, Heath Pym, Ryan Appleton etc.
Maybe that's a purely selfish outlook on my part but I'll look back in years to come, when I'm too old to play, and have absolutely no regrets that I took every opportunity I could to play at a higher level, with some of the best players I've played against.

I understand the mateship's built by lining up with your regular foes, I just find that most of the players that turn to country football are not interested in SANFL footy.
I would see it more beneficial and significant to have a rival league that you'd play an annual game against including the 14's and 17's perhaps and alternate venues between associations.
You have vaild points and I respect your point of view.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lame Choice » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:54 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
OnSong wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I understand the mateship's built by lining up with your regular foes, I just find that most of the players that turn to country football are not interested in SANFL footy.
I would see it more beneficial and significant to have a rival league that you'd play an annual game against including the 14's and 17's perhaps and alternate venues between associations.
You have vaild points and I respect your point of view.

Some future football exec's in the making here. Don't wait to be asked - get in there. :D
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Greggy Gregginson » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:11 pm

The Eyre Peninsula (or Western zone) seems to me like the only area where association and zone football would be universally aspired to.. Because of its small population and remoteness in comparison to most other country areas in the state, there would be a pride that only this can create. Even though association and zone footy in all areas should be seen as a privelege and honour, it's pretty hard to say for instance that two people from Jamestown and Gumeracha respectively playing for central zone with each other would have the same pride in their jumper and area as two people from Streaky Bay and Cleve playing for the EYre Peninsula
Greggy Gregginson
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:29 pm

Maybe the CFL need to get an association carnival happening for each zone. Western have The Mortlock Shield (started in 1936) played on the Saturday and Monday of the June long weekend.

The Landmark Cup is a good starting point but it clearly needs tweaks to improve it immensely and make it something to aspire towards.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby OnSong » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:44 pm

Greggy Gregginson wrote:The Eyre Peninsula (or Western zone) seems to me like the only area where association and zone football would be universally aspired to.. Because of its small population and remoteness in comparison to most other country areas in the state, there would be a pride that only this can create. Even though association and zone footy in all areas should be seen as a privelege and honour, it's pretty hard to say for instance that two people from Jamestown and Gumeracha respectively playing for central zone with each other would have the same pride in their jumper and area as two people from Streaky Bay and Cleve playing for the EYre Peninsula

Western Zone certainly set the standard for pride in the guernsey, no questioning that.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Greggy Gregginson » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Another interesting observation from zone weekend, the best player for the Eyre Peninsula is awarded the Beard medal. Is this any relation to the Beard playing for United as I understand he is an EP lad? I learnt Jordan Clements is the son of an EP footballing great so thought there may also be some connection here??
Greggy Gregginson
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby OnSong » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Greggy Gregginson wrote:Another interesting observation from zone weekend, the best player for the Eyre Peninsula is awarded the Beard medal. Is this any relation to the Beard playing for United as I understand he is an EP lad? I learnt Jordan Clements is the son of an EP footballing great so thought there may also be some connection here??

Quite likely to be related. Travis Beard is from Lock. A lot of Beards over that way, think Kory is still playing SANFL somewhere too.
Clements is from Kimba.
OnSong
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:41 pm

OnSong wrote:
Greggy Gregginson wrote:Another interesting observation from zone weekend, the best player for the Eyre Peninsula is awarded the Beard medal. Is this any relation to the Beard playing for United as I understand he is an EP lad? I learnt Jordan Clements is the son of an EP footballing great so thought there may also be some connection here??

Quite likely to be related. Travis Beard is from Lock. A lot of Beards over that way, think Kory is still playing SANFL somewhere too.
Clements is from Kimba.

Kory is at Sturt....

Was trying to count the former Western zone players playing on the weekend. Imagine if they all went home to play footy :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby jumponthebandwagon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:57 pm

Peter Beard who the "Peter Beard" medal is named after is Travis' dad, Kory is a cousin
jumponthebandwagon
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Mario » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:58 pm

I didn't attend the carnival on the weekend but heard today from someone that did that there were 14 or 15 former Eyre Peninsula boys playing in the other five teams.
Mario
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Lame Choice » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Mario wrote:I didn't attend the carnival on the weekend but heard today from someone that did that there were 14 or 15 former Eyre Peninsula boys playing in the other five teams.

I reckon Swamp or Maggie could put together a premiership team from the last decade or so ex/current Mallala.
Montgomerie x2
Whitwell
Fitzgerald
Pedlar
Would be a handy midfield to start.
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Been liked: 30 times

Postby RooShootOhh » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:19 pm

Snags wrote:
OnSong wrote:Clearance pending for Chris Musolino back to Virginia

I've heard Musolino clearance will be denied by south gawler,
Musolino informed south gawler he never signed a clearance to virginia at any stage, so Virginia sent through for the clearance without musolino even knowing!

So if he played for South on the weekend, do we read some truth into Snags' info?
If that is actually the case, the league surely has to take some action, clubs just cant go lodging clearances willy nilly without the player in question giving consent.
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby Swamp Donkey » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:47 pm

Lame Choice wrote:
Mario wrote:I didn't attend the carnival on the weekend but heard today from someone that did that there were 14 or 15 former Eyre Peninsula boys playing in the other five teams.

I reckon Swamp or Maggie could put together a premiership team from the last decade or so ex/current Mallala.
Montgomerie x2
Whitwell
Fitzgerald
Pedlar
Would be a handy midfield to start.

Not all premiership players, but west coasters that have represented Mallala since mid 2000s.

This is just a quick attempt so I'm certain I would have missed a few others.

F S. Fitzgerald B. Harris J. Southern
HF Josh Seal M. Wauchope L. Whitwell
C: Co. Fitzgerald R. Francis J. Clements
HB: G. Pedlar M. Head Dale King
B: T. Evans J. Danis Ryan Montgomerie

R: C. Kenchinton J. Montgomerie J. Hollitt

Int. M.McEvoy N. Hornhardt
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby wangas#4 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:07 pm

Rumor has that schahinger is back at the bombers after quitting north adelaide any truth to that Bomber.
wangas#4
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Two Wells

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:34 pm

Has the HWE match been shifted back to Port Wakefield this week?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby norm11 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Has the HWE match been shifted back to Port Wakefield this week?

Have u got the game?
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby OnSong » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Has the HWE match been shifted back to Port Wakefield this week?

Yes
OnSong
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy