HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:35 am

groovster wrote:Clearly Im bored. Latest points for the battle of potential relegation:

141 Hahndorf
140 Ironbank
136 Lobey
123 Onkas
104 Bridgew
96 Echunga
81 T Valley

you would have to say it is between Echunga and Tvalley and maybe bridgewater. The rest I dare say are safe.

Is the following possible?

1. Echunga (or Torrens Valley) qualify for finals in 4th or 5th spot and finish yet still get relegated due to the points system?
2. The same team have a good finals series and make the grand final or even win it, yet still get relegated due to the points system?

If either of those scenarios plays out, get ready for this forum to go into meltdown.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby The Panther » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:02 am

Is the fact that the HFL has never actually put in print either via budget or courier paper the " relagation points ladder " an indication they are reserving their position on the system.
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Justquietly » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:07 am

Cheers Groovester!
Look Good in Leather: read back, I've mentioned your scenario at least twice, the first time at the start of the season. It's very much a reality now with Echunga looking pretty good in A's. Bridgey seem to have hit a bit of a rocky patch but due to Echunga's poor B grade performances look safe. I'd say TV would need to win almost all of their remaining A grade to stay up, considering Echunga will win a few more. If TV do that, THEY could finish fifth!
Chuck Norris makes onions cry
Justquietly
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby Legs Man » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:25 am

Echunga being relegated after what they have achieved this year would be a travesty.

I know I am biased - but when the HFL only allowed Echunga definition of actually being promoted so late it gave the club a total disadvantage compared to the other Central clubs.

Will this be the norm thus giving the promoted club less time to gain players, attract sponsors and have club direction.

If and when Mt Lofty win the Country GF and ask for promotion will the league:

- demand junior numbers including names of players.
- hold special meetings to determine eligibility.
- consider a proposal from the club being relegated for immunity.
- hold a meeting for consideration of By Law changes.
- consult all clubs on number of teams competing in Central.
- give them only 13 points even though they are starting at the bottom of the division.
- then take until nearly Xmas to tell the promoted club they are in.

I believe that if Echunga is up for relegation this year and they had the same preparation time as the other Central clubs and the maximum points allowable - it is a decision that the club would accept graciously.

Unfortunately this was not the case putting them behind the eight ball from the beginning.

In saying all this though I believe Echunga will win the required number of matches across all grades to have enough shield points avoiding relegation.

If it got really tight in the last couple of matches we could always play our A grade footballers in the B's (but we likely wouldn't)

BTW: Echunga oval would be a great GF venue if Echunga isn't in it.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby One Club Player » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:59 am

Wouldn't be the first time an A grade side has made finals and been relegated. We (Ironbank) made the A grade elimination final in '96 & '97 and were relegated in '98. I'll also add that it was the best thing for us, we came back a much stronger club 4 years later.
One Club Player
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Legs Man » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:16 am

Yes agreed OCP - We did similar 10 + years ago and have waited until it was the best option for the club overall and we were stronger.

We have had the opportunity to go up in recent years but declined as we weren't ready.

It was a 2 pronged scenario this time with our A grade being ready and the situation of our juniors becoming defunct if we didn't

The promotion has provided a capacity to draw juniors to the club who want a game every week while not having to travel as far.

Overflow Hahndorf and Mount Barker lads will play with us in Central - but not in Country.

Back to Country after this year will effectively destroy the club - staying will see us grow in all grades particularly taking into consideration that we can plan directly after the end of the minor round which is a crucial period.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Banker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:21 am

Dont forget that if Nairne make the Country Div GF then they could push into Central with Mt Lofty...

edit- :oops: apparently not.
Last edited by Banker on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Champ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:35 am

Banker wrote:Dont forget that if Nairne make the Country Div GF then they could push into Central with Mt Lofty...

Incorrect
Champ
Under 18s

Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Legs Man » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:40 am

Banker wrote:Dont forget that if Nairne make the Country Div GF then they could push into Central with Mt Lofty...

As Groovster stated:

Only one country club can go up:

extract from the bylaws:

18.2.1.5 If two (2) Country Division clubs nominate, the club finishing in the
higher position and meeting all the necessary criteria, shall have
first preference

I do feel though that a 12 team comp is the best solution meaning it is more likely that the team due for relegation will be warranted.

Junior grades are important but too much emphasis is given with the club shield points and relegation.

Having u13's stated in the budget when they don't actually count in the decision is another confusion that isn't needed.

It should simply be that all sides must be fielded to be promoted.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby overthehill » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:59 am

groovster wrote:Any word yet on finals ovals for this year? Considering Balhannah had the granny last year and Lobey the year before (and Lobey potential for Grand Final appearance this year) whos next in line for a Grand final?

Last years Grand Final was at Lobethal not Balhannah. It was at Balhannah in 2012 though. I would like to see it this way:

Qlfy FInal - Uraidla
Elim Final - Hahndorf

2nd Semi - Echunga
1st Semi - Callington (Bridgewater)

Prelim - Balhannah (Onkas)

GF - Lobethal
overthehill
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Justquietly » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Not everyone's going to be happy, no matter what the results. I also mentioned earlier: can the Club Shield weightings be different? But there are massive pros & cons for that as well ie weight seniors too strongly & the Uraidla situation gets magnified even more greatly. Weight the Colts more strongly & the crux of your club (seniors) getting flogged reflects poorly on the club, yet they remain in Central. SAAFL obviously does promotion/relegation as standard, it's a simple factor. Hills is a different beast due to the communities involved & sharing talent pools, however it is still a promotion/relegation situation. Simple.

Could you take away the promotion/relegation? I haven't seen the survey but does it mention anything about a settled two team comp, NOT two-tiered comp? Ask all clubs: where do you want to be? What are your registered numbers as of X date? What is your case to be in Central or Country? Who knows, you may just get this year's relegated team & maybe Nairne being the clubs that 'want' to be in a different league. Then leave those leagues as-is for 3 years, then re-visit. That allows for clubs to establish a 3-year plan when it comes to coaches, players, junior academies, recruiting etc.

Legs Man: I agree with you re timings. The clubs involved in a promotion/relegation situation really need to know ALL the ins & outs/what's required straight after the season's end.
Chuck Norris makes onions cry
Justquietly
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby the_grinch » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:08 pm

overthehill wrote:
groovster wrote:Any word yet on finals ovals for this year? Considering Balhannah had the granny last year and Lobey the year before (and Lobey potential for Grand Final appearance this year) whos next in line for a Grand final?

Last years Grand Final was at Lobethal not Balhannah. It was at Balhannah in 2012 though. I would like to see it this way:

Qlfy FInal - Uraidla
Elim Final - Hahndorf

2nd Semi - Echunga
1st Semi - Callington (Bridgewater)

Prelim - Balhannah (Onkas)

GF - Lobethal

I agree with something like this, assuming none of the A grades are playing at home. Really like the omission of Blackwood, don't rate the oval/parking.
the_grinch
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Legs Man » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:15 pm

Agree with JQuietly that the HFL should look at what is best for all clubs.

If a side has the ability and sides to play in Central then they should be able to - AKA Mt Lofty & Nairne.

Making it a 12 team comp for the next 3 years - then re visit is a great solution.

Allow clubs to plan and build without the fear of relegation and stop pandering to this "10 team comp only" mentality.

Junior footy is also a component that needs to be addressed with the requirement for all sides something that may need change.

It is great if it can be achieved but the way things are going it may not be achievable.

If Uraidla can't field junior or senior colts do they get put out of Central? - now that would be a joke!
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby grasshopper22 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm an outsider but gee this relegation shit does my head in flicking through it, that's all that's talked about every week.
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Legs Man » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:41 pm

Yes - it does everyone's head in as HFL is not SAAFL and has nowhere near the number of sides participating.

Too many problems with it IMO.

Get rid of it - see who wants to play in what division - then set it in place for 3 years.

Once the senior footy is organised and settled - then base the juniors around it.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Tanka » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Legs Man wrote:Yes - it does everyone's head in as HFL is not SAAFL and has nowhere near the number of sides participating.

Get rid of it - see who wants to play in what division - then set it in place for 3 years.

Once the senior footy is organised and settled - then base the juniors around it.

In that case Legs man it should be 3 divisions not 2
Tanka
Under 16s

Has liked: 30 times

Postby Legs Man » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:55 pm

grasshopper22 wrote:I'm an outsider but gee this relegation shit does my head in flicking through it, that's all that's talked about every week.

The reason it is so topical is that it is so damn important and was so badly handled by the HFL leading into this season.

Amazing what a lack of trust by the HFL in the clubs involved has done - and something they should be accountable for.

If the playing field was even for all clubs involved this may have helped in gaining some equity for the governing body.

It wasn't and now has set a precedence for problematic times moving forward.

Clubs are now gun shy when dealing with the HFL as the air of mistrust is still evident.

Lets hope they take responsibility for their previous actions and admit the shortcomings in the way they handled it - amend their ways and show real leadership this time.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Legs Man » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Tanka wrote:
Legs Man wrote:Yes - it does everyone's head in as HFL is not SAAFL and has nowhere near the number of sides participating.

In that case Legs man it should be 3 divisions not 2

Happy with that Tanka - 1st,2nd and 3rd division.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby magpiemaster » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:14 pm

Lobey or Echunga ovals for the grand final would be great. Steer clear of Blackwood and mt barker after the rain we have had.
magpiemaster
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Yellow & Black » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:56 pm

Legs Man I wish you'd contribute a little more on this forum. Thought I'd logged onto the "How good are Echunga" page.

Regarding finals ovals - Lobey won't be hosting any this year. Oval in bad need of top dressing before cricket kicks off. I believe the HFL have selected Uraidla, Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Torrens Valley (at Mt Pleasant), Onkas and Echunga as candidates.
Yellow & Black

Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy