HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby Pinarello » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Yellow & Black wrote:Legs Man I wish you'd contribute a little more on this forum. Thought I'd logged onto the "How good are Echunga" page.

Regarding finals ovals - Lobey won't be hosting any this year. Oval in bad need of top dressing before cricket kicks off. I believe the HFL have selected Uraidla, Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Torrens Valley (at Mt Pleasant), Onkas and Echunga as candidates.

12 posts in 2 and a half years.... don't think you should be criticising others contributions pal
Pinarello
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby always there » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:59 pm

Yellow and black, you seem to know a lot about the ovals......are they even playing on mt pleasant oval at the moment.? Lobethal not looking too bad surely not Mt Barker?
always there
Rookie

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Legs Man » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:57 am

Mt Pleasant seems a long shot - and if used should also be used when teams are playing TV during minor round matches.

Mt Barker is not a viable option considering the oval condition etc etc.

Apparently Hahndorf has all but been guaranteed by the HFL that they will be hosting the GF.

If this is the case - it again makes a mockery of the HFL officials inspecting grounds prior matches and finals grounds allocation.

I am certainly not against Hahndorf having the GF but expect transparency in the allocation process.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:13 am

Legs Man wrote:Mt Pleasant seems a long shot - and if used should also be used when teams are playing TV during minor round matches.

Apparently Hahndorf has all but been guaranteed by the HFL that they will be hosting the GF.

If this is the case - it again makes a mockery of the HFL officials inspecting grounds prior matches and finals grounds allocation.

I am certainly not against Hahndorf having the GF but expect transparency in the allocation process.

There's no doubt that the best surface in HFL Central Division come September will be at Callington, yet the HFL have decided that Callington is not worthy of even one final ??
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby cracka » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:18 am

Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:
Legs Man wrote:Mt Pleasant seems a long shot - and if used should also be used when teams are playing TV during minor round matches.

There's no doubt that the best surface in HFL Central Division come September will be at Callington, yet the HFL have decided that Callington is not worthy of even one final ??

Agree the Callington surface will be the best come finals time but the facilities are not up to hosting a final, let alone the GF. I believe the Mt Barker council is going to spend a heap of money there over the summer to upgrade facilities which would then make it suitable for all finals. Definitely the best place to hold the modis carnivals though.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Mop Up » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:32 am

Speaking of Barker Oval's condition....

How's it looking? Is that going to be able to withstand 5 games this Saturday?

Hypothetical - If an oval is deemed unsafe (and I've played on some over the years that really should've been), what is the process?
Mop Up
League - Best 21

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Legs Man » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:36 am

Agreed Callington facilities aren't quite good enough which is a shame as the oval is great (needs proper goal posts though)

Echunga is holding up really well after extra top dressing over summer and 2 years after our full drainage was completed, meaning it is now generally in top condition come finals time.

The drainage has taken a couple of years to fully take effect and it was a good investment.

Quite surprised how expensive new goal posts were when we put ours in this year - but it does make a difference!

No matches for 2 weeks now on Echunga oval so it has time to absorb the current rain we are experiencing.

Perhaps a Lobey supporter from the forum can provide some feedback after seeing Echunga last week after all the rain - to ensure I am not seen as totally biased?

We are just very fortunate to have the Echunga Golf Club curator looking after our ovals.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Legs Man » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:39 am

Mop Up wrote:Speaking of Barker Oval's condition....

How's it looking? Is that going to be able to withstand 5 games this Saturday?

Hypothetical - If an oval is deemed unsafe (and I've played on some over the years that really should've been), what is the process?

And with the HFL inspection prior matches would they deem it unsafe or a third party.

Does anyone know when these inspections actually take place and who does it?
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby groovster » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:42 am

Hahndorf have been asked to prepare/plan for a GF but not guaranteed, will be decided closer and dependant on oval conditions etc. So not sure that the comment Legsman makes that HFL Officials are making a mockery about inspecting grounds etc is truly accurate. Any club hosting a GF should be given a bit of prewarning to prepare, the GF is not something you can whip together with a weeks notice.

Legsman you truly have some baggage with the HFL Officials (LOL)!

Re Mt Barker have heard the same Cracka, as the 'big new sports ground' funding off Springs Road has been pushed back. For the size of Mt Barker their facilities are pretty average. couldnt agree more that Callington best spot for the modies carnival.
groovster
Mini-League

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Legs Man » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:52 am

groovster wrote:Hahndorf have been asked to prepare/plan for a GF but not guaranteed, will be decided closer and dependant on oval conditions etc. So not sure that the comment Legsman makes that HFL Officials are making a mockery about inspecting grounds etc is truly accurate. Any club hosting a GF should be given a bit of prewarning to prepare, the GF is not something you can whip together with a weeks notice.

Re Mt Barker have heard the same Cracka, as the 'big new sports ground' funding off Springs Road has been pushed back. For the size of Mt Barker their facilities are pretty average. couldnt agree more that Callington best spot for the modies carnival.

Cheers Groovster - yes I get quite wary now of any sign of bias by the HFL and was likely a bit "strong" with my "mockery" wording.

It's the old adage of "Once bitten" that has tarnished my views.

Hey - the HFL may actually be on the right path allowing a club to actually plan toward something (albeit not allowing us to plan for Central)

Couldn't help myself - apology in advance ;)
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby groovster » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Legs Man wrote:
groovster wrote:Hahndorf have been asked to prepare/plan for a GF but not guaranteed, will be decided closer and dependant on oval conditions etc. So not sure that the comment Legsman makes that HFL Officials are making a mockery about inspecting grounds etc is truly accurate. Any club hosting a GF should be given a bit of prewarning to prepare, the GF is not something you can whip together with a weeks notice.

Cheers Groovster - yes I get quite wary now of any sign of bias by the HFL and was likely a bit "strong" with my "mockery" wording.

It's the old adage of "Once bitten" that has tarnished my views.

Hey - the HFL may actually be on the right path allowing a club to actually plan toward something (albeit not allowing us to plan for Central)

Couldn't help myself - apology in advance ;)

:lol:
groovster
Mini-League

Postby Champ » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:35 pm

This weeks tips:

Uraidla - mighten drop another game
Hahndorf - few back in
Mt Barker - too strong at home for a struggling banker outfit
Echunga - game of the round 4 v 5
Onkas - this is my upset game
Champ
Under 18s

Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:49 pm

cracka wrote:Agree the Callington surface will be the best come finals time but the facilities are not up to hosting a final, let alone the GF. I believe the Mt Barker council is going to spend a heap of money there over the summer to upgrade facilities which would then make it suitable for all finals. Definitely the best place to hold the modis carnivals though.

Surely it's the state of the surface that must be the prime factor for consideration when holding finals?

Ask the coaches and players what they want and I'm sure they'd say they want to play on a surface is large, flat and covered in grass. The fact that the Callington change rooms are from the 1960s wouldn't bother them. In fact, the Onkas and Hahndorf away rooms are similarly very basic.

The Callington Oval was good enough to host a Preliminary Final in 2013, with extra portable toilets brought in and a bar/bbq/canteen erected on the outer wing (again, exactly the same as to what Hahndorf do in finals).

I can understand if Lobethal and Callington have been overlooked as they had finals in 2013 and the HFL want to share the spoils, but can anyone remember when Hahndorf and/or Onkas have ever missed out on a final ??

All I'm saying is let the surface dictate where the finals are played (as it turns out, mother nature may take over anyway and force the hand of the HFL).
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Legs Man » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:14 pm

While we are discussing ovals - how will Blackwood be after all the rain?

Does the wind dry it out enough or is it boggy?

Also - is there a dress code for their clubrooms? (we don't want Vic Jones to get refused entry - now do we)
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Yellow & Black » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Legs Man I was impressed with Echungas facilities, I doubt there would've been a better playing surface in the Hills last weekend, excluding Callington. The visitors rooms were comfortable, plenty of parking, lot's of food options (whilst it was available) and importantly, no shortage of stout and port. Spectator shelter looked limited if it were a bad day. One of the Echunga die hards mentioned the lights are good enough to hold cricket matches. Well done to you blokes, look forward to heading back next year.

Did you say you've already invested in new goal posts? A few of our players commented that they were quite short...

Also good to see old Vic out running water in his stubby shorts. What happened between him and Bridgy?
Yellow & Black

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Justquietly » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Didn't Barker get condemmed best part of 7 or 8 years ago, due to unsafe/health risk surface?
Chuck Norris makes onions cry
Justquietly
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby Legs Man » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:27 pm

Yellow & Black wrote:Legs Man I was impressed with Echungas facilities, I doubt there would've been a better playing surface in the Hills last weekend, excluding Callington. The visitors rooms were comfortable, plenty of parking, lot's of food options (whilst it was available) and importantly, no shortage of stout and port. Spectator shelter looked limited if it were a bad day. One of the Echunga die hards mentioned the lights are good enough to hold cricket matches. Well done to you blokes, look forward to heading back next year.

Did you say you've already invested in new goal posts? A few of our players commented that they were quite short...

Also good to see old Vic out running water in his stubby shorts. What happened between him and Bridgy?

Thanks for the kind words.

I reckon Vic had a slight fallout - but am not really sure (he doesn't elaborate) - very polarising person but has been a tireless worker for the club and was appreciated with a club person of the year award.

Hope the goal posts are right height as they are supposed to be and cost a mottza. (the nets behind may give the impression of a lower height?)

The nets have also been great and save a lot of ball chasing.

Reckon the cricket club played a T20 over Summer and seemed happy - they are SANFL standard for footy but underutilized to date.

We will never run out of port and alcohol with Boxer looking after our bar. (some good wines also were instituted for the foray into Central)
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Pinarello » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:46 pm

^Cricket Club played a regular 40 over fixture (80 overs in the day) with the last 20 or so overs under lights.... The lights were ok for cricket, would be good to get a few more lights to focus in on the pitch area eventually.

Night footy should be considered at Echunga for sure, but suggest either early or late in the season.
Pinarello
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby groovster » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Pinarello wrote:^Cricket Club played a regular 40 over fixture (80 overs in the day) with the last 20 or so overs under lights.... The lights were ok for cricket, would be good to get a few more lights to focus in on the pitch area eventually.

Night footy should be considered at Echunga for sure, but suggest either early or late in the season.

Night footy is a great experience for spectators and the clubs. I know that every night game I have been to at Hahndorf it has been fantastic - large crowd and really good buzz.

Hahndorf already do a night game with Blackwood (Hahndorf one year, Blackwood the next) and every Anzac Day clash Hahndorf host against Mt Barker is under lights. An arrangement with Echunga should be entered into. Legsman you speak to your people and I will speak to our people! But agree the games need to be at the start and end of the season, lights and fog dont mix in the middle of winter!

As an aside, Hahndorf werent in line to get a final last year from memory, but were called upon at short notice due to another ground failing an inspection...(but I dont know what oval that was)..
groovster
Mini-League

Postby heater31 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:36 pm

Pinarello wrote:^Cricket Club played a regular 40 over fixture (80 overs in the day) with the last 20 or so overs under lights.... The lights were ok for cricket, would be good to get a few more lights to focus in on the pitch area eventually.

Minimum standard for lighting for state league football matches is 250 lux. I think all SANFL clubs bar Centrals exceed this standard (Centrals the minimum and they don't use them games anymore).

Cricket minimum standard is much higher and I don't think any SANFL club with lights is close bar Norwood oval who host national level baseball.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy