Channel 7 announced by SANFL as preferred telecast partner

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Channel 7 announced by SANFL as preferred telecast partn

Postby Aerie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Big Phil wrote:Yes, but the majority of that money was raised via sponsorship. The actual dollars spent from the SANFL was less for the 7 deal than what it would have been to get ABC on board again...

Given that the ABC are still televising second tier sports in other states are you assuming they'd have stuck their hand out for more to televise this year?

Unless you've seen the invoices I'm also not sure how you could possibly know that they've raised the $1M this year through 'sponsorship'.

There was an article a while back saying the coverage cost the SANFL a little bit more out of pocket than it did with the ABC, but they hoped to have it cost neutral in a couple of years.

Cos Cardone is CEO of McGuire Media and also a Port Board Director. Not sure if a conflict of interest?

Haven't heard much in the media lately, but they seemed happy with the number of viewers - especially the Port vs Norwood R1 game and the "SANFL Showdown".
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby PhilH » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:09 am

WAFL will not be on ABC next year.

WAFL ABC Television Broadcast Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 5:05 PM

THE West Australian Football Commission has been advised by ABC Television that it cannot commit to the broadcast of the 2015 West Australian Football League season.

ABC Television Head TV Sport & Events, Justin Holdforth, said: “ABC TV is unable, at this stage, to commit to the broadcast of the WAFL in 2015 and beyond.”

WAFC Chief Operating Officer Nick Sautner said the WAFC was extremely grateful for ABC’s outstanding coverage of the WAFL for more than 25 years and thanked them for their long-term support of the premier State League competition.

“On behalf of the WAFL, I thank the ABC for broadcasting the WAFL since 1987. The coverage has been outstanding and highly valued,” Mr Sautner said.

“However, we also believe it is extremely important for the WAFL competition to be televised and the WAFC is exploring other opportunities to achieve certainty of statewide coverage going forward.”

Mr Holdforth added: “The ABC fully understands the necessity for the WAFC to achieve certainty around WAFL broadcasts next year. As in Tasmania and South Australia, we would not stand in the way of the WAFC securing a sensible commercial deal. In the end the most important thing is that the people of WA are not denied access to television coverage of the WAFL.”
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:12 am

With the current political climate and hostility towards the abc this is no surprise at all
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:23 am

Nope. Not at all.
I predicted it.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby klaan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:58 am

Credit where it's due on this one now that ABC have confirmed what the SANFL had said as one of the reasons behind the decision. I know my Club is happy with Ch 7 considering we've sold spots in the actual coverage (Hickinbotham) that we couldn't previously and seen an increase sponsor dollars based on the broadcast.

Good luck to the WAFL in getting some coverage. No doubt important for their comp too.
klaan
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby matt35 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Yep this has been coming for a while. Was a very close run thing a couple of years ago from memory. Wonder where that leaves the VFL! Seems likely the ABC will face more funding cuts too so it was a matter of when, not if.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Rising Power » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Hopefully the dimwits saying "Give it back to the ABC" will cease and desist now.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Rising Power wrote:Hopefully the dimwits saying "Give it back to the ABC" will cease and desist now.

I actually quite surprised at how well it has rated on 7. I guess it makes sense given it is quite often standalone footy but still.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Aerie » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:00 am

Give the ABC $1,000,000 and they'd probably do it!
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby klaan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:06 pm

Aerie wrote:Give the ABC $1,000,000 and they'd probably do it!

How many times to people have to point out, the production costs $1m. Guess it doesn't suit your argument that the world is caving.
klaan
Rookie

Postby Gozu » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:09 pm

For anyone interested the 2013 SANFL Grand Final is being replayed on NITV (Channel 34) this Tuesday night at 10pm.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:59 pm

klaan wrote:

How many times to people have to point out, the production costs $1m. Guess it doesn't suit your argument that the world is caving.

Yeah but he has a point.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Doddy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:29 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Rising Power wrote:Hopefully the dimwits saying "Give it back to the ABC" will cease and desist now.

I actually quite surprised at how well it has rated on 7. I guess it makes sense given it is quite often standalone footy but still.

I just can't believe the number of numpties who obviously couldn't find channel 2 on their TVs before. The coverage is not that much better (not better at all for mine), that can't be the difference driving the ratings. And it's not the AFL reserves teams on every week.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby matt35 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:40 pm

I actually know of people who refused to watch the games while they were on the ABC because they believed the coverage was poor. I didn't feel it was that bad, but that is feedback I have had.

I think the point isn't so much people having the ability to find the ABC, more that Seven has the ability to promote their coverage to a wider audience across the week simply by having more viewers than the ABC has.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:44 pm

matt35 wrote:I actually know of people who refused to watch the games while they were on the ABC because they believed the coverage was poor. I didn't feel it was that bad, but that is feedback I have had.

I think the point isn't so much people having the ability to find the ABC, more that Seven has the ability to promote their coverage to a wider audience across the week simply by having more viewers than the ABC has.

I agree with those people, the coverage was getting worse and worse by the ABC, the last games I turned into they were discussing the weather on the moon and the various aspects of colourful ties which was the last straw for me, some commentators thought we were watching to hear their boring crap about various aspects of life and not the footy. C7s coverage is a breath of fresh air that was well and truly needed.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby topsywaldron » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:06 pm

klaan wrote:

Shows you what a great deal the SANFL had before then doesn't it, we pay the ABC $70,000 for a million dollars worth of costs.

Guess it doesn't suit your argument that the AFL reserves teams can cure cancer though.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby klaan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:44 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
klaan wrote:

Shows you what a great deal the SANFL had before then doesn't it, we pay the ABC $70,000 for a million dollars worth of costs.

Guess it doesn't suit your argument that the AFL reserves teams can cure cancer though.

AFL Clubs are no cure for cancer, but nor should they be the reason for every good or bad decision that the SANFL has made or makes. I understand with a recent addition of a new sponsor for the finals, the SANFL is contributing less than it was to the ABC, with the potential for making money out of it in 2015. My Club has benefited by an extra $15k by selling the sponsorship in the broadcast during the Good Friday match and one of the other two matches from Hickinbotham that we've had broadcast.

And you've still got a problem with it?

My Club voted NO but considering lowly old South has been on TV the MOST this year out of any Club, I can see where there has been some benefit from Ch 7. It's where, in my opinion, we lose the PR battle. We blame everything on the AFL Clubs instead of concentrating where they should have the blame. I blame your Club, as clearly the swinging vote, for voting this in - not the AFL Clubs for wanting it.
klaan
Rookie

Postby bennymacca » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:09 pm

great post klaan
bennymacca
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:30 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
klaan wrote:

The ABC's coverage did the comp a disservice by the pathetic commentary and absolutely dead atmosphere created by there being zero crowd noise coming through the mics. At least channel 7 have commentators who call what happens on the oval not what they think happened.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby cennals05 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:53 pm

I don't really care who covers the games, I would just like a more even spread of the teams being televised. To have 3 teams having about 50% of the coverage so far is a disgrace.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL