Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Talk on the national game

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby NO-MERCY » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:41 am

carey wrote:Really wish we brought in Mason Shaw.

This kid is screaming out for an opportunity.

Bloody oath carey, Butchers had tooo many chances, this ( Shaw ) kid deserves atleast 1 chance doesn't he?
NO-MERCY
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:13 pm

After Fremantles loss, Port can climb back into the top 4
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:48 am

I'm fired up for today's game. Big win for Dom and back in the Top 4.

Port by 47 points, 14 goals to 7
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:14 am

Port by plenty, Wingard return to form with 3+ goals
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:19 am

Port to win 63-21.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:20 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Port by plenty, Wingard return to form with 3+ goals

He may struggle, dees like contested footy, wingard doesn't
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3032 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:32 am

woodublieve12 wrote:

I disagree with that completely. He is in a form slump so that's how it looks at the moment. When he gets it back he is like a ferret and throws himself in there. Last four weeks he has been good at either. When he's hot he is very dangerous one on one

Hopefully when he tears the Sydney Colas a new one on GF day you will duly apologise ;)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby carey » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:38 am

woodublieve12 wrote:

That's because his not a midfielder! Leave him as the small forward especially with Gus out. I think people underestimate the hole Gus leaves.

Wingard was killing it when the midfield was on top and he can be a stay at home small forward.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby carey » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:42 am

Port win

96-42

Broadbent best on, The Hoff 4 sausage rolls

Carey- 32 cans, 3 hotdogs, a pie, a ripped shirt, kicked out the Audi room banned for3 months and best off ground honours :lol:
carey
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:04 pm

carey wrote:Port win

96-42

Broadbent best on, The Hoff 4 sausage rolls

Carey- 32 cans, 3 hotdogs, a pie, a ripped shirt, kicked out the Audi room banned for3 months and best off ground honours :lol:

Standard day at the footy. 8)
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:07 pm

carey wrote:That's because his not a midfielder! Leave him as the small forward especially with Gus out. I think people underestimate the hole Gus leaves.

Wingard was killing it when the midfield was on top and he can be a stay at home small forward.

Agreed. I think though he is not far away from exploding and ripping a game apart again, and although Butcher is an average player, think he will benefit from having the extra tall forward he can crumb.

Today's the day..
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:08 pm

port y 8 points
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11911 times
Been liked: 3626 times

Postby Jase » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:36 pm

I'm just Wondering what the Port folk ( and any others ) thought it would take for you to trade Johnny Butcher. I was listening to Tredrea yesterday say that it would take a first and second round pick for Port to let him go...

I nearly crashed the car into a tree due to not being able to see for the tears of laughter...

I would think a 2nd round pick would be more than enough...

Thoughts???
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1487 times
Been liked: 560 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Jase wrote:I'm just Wondering what the Port folk ( and any others ) thought it would take for you to trade Johnny Butcher. I was listening to Tredrea yesterday say that it would take a first and second round pick for Port to let him go...

I nearly crashed the car into a tree due to not being able to see for the tears of laughter...

Thoughts???

He'll be delisted and if anyone wants him they will get him for nothing
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1662 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:41 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Jase wrote:I'm just Wondering what the Port folk ( and any others ) thought it would take for you to trade Johnny Butcher. I was listening to Tredrea yesterday say that it would take a first and second round pick for Port to let him go...

Thoughts???

He'll be delisted and if anyone wants him they will get him for nothing

There wouldnt be a SANFL club who would take him let alone a AFL side
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby dedja » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:32 pm

wouldn't even be able to trade him for bottle tops ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:49 pm

Port win by 3pts
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11911 times
Been liked: 3626 times

Postby carey » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:16 pm

Thoughts???

3 beers
carey
Coach

Postby carey » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:17 pm

carey wrote:

Thoughts???

3 beers

And. A lift home would be a bonus
carey
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:10 am

Well, didn’t we steal that one! Not that I’m unhappy with a win, but it again raised a few questions about this playing group.

Melbourne are much improved under Paul Roos and were, in many ways, the first team to dismantle Port back some weeks ago in Alice Springs. Although they didn’t get the chocolates in the Red Centre they did give other sides the blue print for how to beat Port. Keep Broadbent, Hartlett and Polec from running across the half back line unmanned, make the midfield a congested mess with up to 30 players around the ball and when Port do gain possession you make sure your defenders staying off the ball spread across to the “open” side of the ground denying Port the space to run and attack. Other teams have since successfully used a similar formula, Essendon especially.

Another thing Melbourne did well yesterday was push the ball from stoppages to Port’s attacking side. Port like to dish the ball to the defensive side at contests, spread from there with run from behind. That’s when we are playing well. Melbourne used this to their advantage yesterday knowing on their defensive side of the contest they could have room to move then use the ball, they did and they did.

With Trengove and Carlile out Port are relying on Jonas, Hombsch and O’Shea to play as the key talls. While they have a disadvantage in the air, the coaching staff have tried to use the speed on the ground as an advantage.

What we’ve seen for 3 weeks now is Port get the ball in the back half, Harlett, Broadbent and Polec get manned up immediately by anyone in their general area. So Port try to take advantage of this by having Pittard, Hombsch and O’Shea run the ball out of defence. Now this can create a couple of issues.

It can throw the opposition structure out as key forwards chase our key defenders up the ground, but they’ve learnt to stay at home and maintain their structure. Essendon, Richmond and Melbourne all did the same thing. It also means O’Shea and Pittard ( despite their very best efforts ) are running and delivering the ball from defence. I have alot of time for both of these guys and expect them both to have long careers down back, but with all their best intentions they do not possess the foot skills of the other three noted above. So Port’s key backs are now out of position, the oppositions key forwards are “structured up” and a turn over from Port turns into opposition goals.

With Trengove and Carlile offering marking targets on the way out of defence the key forwards have no option but to chase them, their structure breaks down and the likes of Westhoff and Schulz aren’t up on the wing looking for an avenue to goal. Crikey we need those two back.

Again yesterday the man-child Ollie Wines led the way in midfield contests in the first half. He has carried our midfield ( with Boak ) for several weeks. No surprises with the size of his legs, he could carry anything!
Wines is a beast on the ground, strong enough through the core getting tackled to get his arms free and sticks tackles as tackles should be stuck. He would be, IMO, in out top 3 of our B&F at the moment and could conceivably win it if he maintains this form all year.

My top 5 :

Ollie Wines – 26 disposals, 11 contested, 7 clearances, 9 tackles, 5 I50. Another game where this kid stood out as the best contested ball player on the ground. He ripped the ball out of plenty of early contests, held Melbourne up numerous times as they looked to “get out” and was, IMO, the best player on the ground.

Cam O’Shea – 25 disposals, 12 marks, 3 R50. Although he burnt us a couple of times with his foot skills, he also saved us a couple of times late in the game with an important spoil or mark. Been in our best 2 of the last 3 weeks and has cemented his spot in the side. Will be interesting to see who goes out the side with the return of Carlile and Trengove, for mine, O’Shea isn’t one to go.

Robbie Gray – 26 disposals, 16 contested, 8 clearances, 6 tackles, 4 I50. Really has been in outstanding form this year, a certain AA and has his lateral movement back, he sides steps players with ease and is spending more time in the midfield. A genuine star.

Paul Stewart – 8 disposal, 2 goals, 100% disp. Efficiency, 3 tackles. Although he only had the 8 touches, his 2 goals were very important, the flexibility he offers the side as a third marking target and his 3 tackles were all inside Port’s F50, 2 of which resulted in goals. In a close contest that had plenty of errors by foot and hand, 100% efficiency and 2 goals was very, very important.

Aaron Young – 16 disposals, 4 clearances, 4 tackles, 1 goal. He’s been or sub numerous times in recent weeks and this week got his chance to run out a full game. His numbers might not look huge but he did more than enough to not only keep his spot in the line-up but push for regular selection.

Once again though White ( 9 touches and subbed ) , Polec ( 8 touches @ 50% ) and Wingard ( 13 touches, 1 goal ) had quiet days. Wingard got in amongst it early but faded, while White and Polec were soundly beaten. These three have had the spotlight on them for three weeks now and really need to respond.

The week off could not come at a better time.
Last edited by Booney on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL