HB 40+
hairy cat
Under 16s

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Postby magpieeagle » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:42 pm

Mallala strong winners over Virginia in all grades, just one matter>why did the rams have a 12yr old kid boundary umpire on his own both A/Reserve grades, they must have older people somewhere able of doing it.
magpieeagle
Reserves

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Hazbeen » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:48 pm

magpieeagle wrote:Mallala strong winners over Virginia in all grades, just one matter>why did the rams have a 12yr old kid boundary umpire on his own both A/Reserve grades, they must have older people somewhere able of doing it.

Isn't there a league rule that for A grade the boundary umps are supposed to be over a certain age to stop young kids doing it?
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Swamp Donkey » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:16 am

Swamp Donkey wrote:
wangas#4 wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:
Kcco wrote:Not sure if that was a deliberate act by the big fella or not. I didn't exactly see the event unfold but I've heard different stories by people from two wells saying it was and it wasn't.

What was the outcome? Injury/report??

Pontt knocked out concusion.
Report nil.

Couldn't have been that bad if Two Wells didn't lodge a report.

On a different note, and I hate talking about this because I realise our league is really struggling to get umpires, but.............I think we witnessed a poor umpiring performance on Saturday in the match between Mallala and Hamley, one umpire in particular was poor.

After bagging them last week, I thought I should compliment them this week after a fine job. The two umpires involved in Saturday's match between Mallala and Virginia I thought did a great job and were arguably the best we have had this season. I'm pretty sure anyone from Virginia would agree (maybe not Bascombe - possibly on report??).
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Lame Choice » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:34 am

Swamp Donkey wrote:After bagging them last week, I thought I should compliment them this week after a fine job. The two umpires involved in Saturday's match between Mallala and Virginia I thought did a great job and were arguably the best we have had this season. I'm pretty sure anyone from Virginia would agree (maybe not Bascombe - possibly on report??).

Pity the Virg supporters (?) on the outer didn't think so. Will coppped it all day by name. Makes me wonder if people like that think they are improving the situation with all the free advice :roll:

Mallala have hit top gear now with a few still to come back I hear.
Balaklava the dark horse.
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Lame Choice » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:38 am

Hazbeen wrote:
magpieeagle wrote:Mallala strong winners over Virginia in all grades, just one matter>why did the rams have a 12yr old kid boundary umpire on his own both A/Reserve grades, they must have older people somewhere able of doing it.

Isn't there a league rule that for A grade the boundary umps are supposed to be over a certain age to stop young kids doing it?

Supposed to be over 15 as per the bylaws.
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:11 pm

Hazbeen wrote:

The whole boundary umpiring thing is a joke most weeks. You see people doing it bare-footed carrying a can of coke or kicking the ball with their mates near the boundary miles away from the play.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby magpieeagle » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:

The whole boundary umpiring thing is a joke most weeks. You see people doing it bare-footed carrying a can of coke or kicking the ball with their mates near the boundary miles away from the play.

The league were paying clubs for boundary A grade umpires hence why we had the same two doing it all the time, was good pocket money for the colts, then in their wisdom decided to stop the payments 6 rounds in this year, don't tell me they are broke, everyone that helps the association board do it off their own backs with no reimbursement, maybe some clubs just kept the cash for themselves
magpieeagle
Reserves

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:04 pm

magpieeagle wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:

The league were paying clubs for boundary A grade umpires hence why we had the same two doing it all the time, was good pocket money for the colts, then in their wisdom decided to stop the payments 6 rounds in this year, don't tell me they are broke, everyone that helps the association board do it off their own backs with no reimbursement, maybe some clubs just kept the cash for themselves

I did ask one of the board members why can't the clubs fund the boundary umpires out of the gate takings, apparently that barely covers the costs to run the clubs.
I know in the SAAFL most clubs pay around $50 for the kids to do the boundary, pretty handy pocket money for a teenager.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby wangas#4 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Lame Choice wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:After bagging them last week, I thought I should compliment them this week after a fine job. The two umpires involved in Saturday's match between Mallala and Virginia I thought did a great job and were arguably the best we have had this season. I'm pretty sure anyone from Virginia would agree (maybe not Bascombe - possibly on report??).

Pity the Virg supporters (?) on the outer didn't think so. Will coppped it all day by name. Makes me wonder if people like that think they are improving the situation with all the free advice :roll:

Who where the umps this week SD.
wangas#4
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Two Wells

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:13 pm

wangas#4 wrote:
Lame Choice wrote:

Who where the umps this week SD.

BJ & Will Dixon. Sorry to interrupt.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:18 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:

Field umpires and 2 x Boundary umpires supplied in both a grade and reserves . God praise the Barossa, light and Gawler umpiring panel
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:41 pm

BoundaryRider84 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:

Field umpires and 2 x Boundary umpires supplied in both a grade and reserves . God praise the Barossa, light and Gawler umpiring panel

Is that how the roll in the Barossa? I know that in the NEFL they have 3 umpires in the 17's and A's, not sure on the boundary umps though. It's the worst job going.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lame Choice » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:56 pm

magpieeagle wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:

The league introduced the 'green shirt' boundary umpires a few years back to give young lads a pathway to field umpiring. It was jointly funded between the league and the participating clubs. By mid this year it was apparent that only one club was left involved and that the purpose was not being realised, so the program ceased.
Most clubs now roster preceding game players to do boundary on a volunteer basis. Problem arises if you start paying for boundary umpires, either the league provides them at cost (hard enough to provide field umpires), or the clubs pay for them (which comes from their coffers - either gate or bar profit etc.). There is a strong argument that if you start paying boundary umpires, what about the other volunteers - water boys, goal umpires, time keepers, interchange stewards.....
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Lame Choice wrote:

The league introduced the 'green shirt' boundary umpires a few years back to give young lads a pathway to field umpiring. It was jointly funded between the league and the participating clubs. By mid this year it was apparent that only one club was left involved and that the purpose was not being realised, so the program ceased.
Most clubs now roster preceding game players to do boundary on a volunteer basis. Problem arises if you start paying for boundary umpires, either the league provides them at cost (hard enough to provide field umpires), or the clubs pay for them (which comes from their coffers - either gate or bar profit etc.). There is a strong argument that if you start paying boundary umpires, what about the other volunteers - water boys, goal umpires, time keepers, interchange stewards.....

Boundary umpiring is a bloody tough gig. The club I used to be involved in through the SAAFL used to pay the boundary and goal umpires, the time keeper used to get a drink card, water boys and score board attendants used to get a kitchen voucher to get a pie, packet of chips and a drink or something similar.
the other volunteers used to get looked after at the end of season presentations with token gifts.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:08 pm

**** me :shock: you tight arse Plains clubs can't fork out $40 a week for 2 senior colts to run the boundary each week.

Chances are you will get that money back when they buy a soft drink or some food at some point during the day.....

The only time the small note pay is not worth it is when one of the field umpires is to too gutless to report a bloke for smashing his opponents nose....leaving the senior colt to do his too hard basket work because he took some secret joy out of the bloke having his nose rearranged.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Lame Choice » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lame Choice wrote:

Boundary umpiring is a bloody tough gig. The club I used to be involved in through the SAAFL used to pay the boundary and goal umpires, the time keeper used to get a drink card, water boys and score board attendants used to get a kitchen voucher to get a pie, packet of chips and a drink or something similar.
the other volunteers used to get looked after at the end of season presentations with token gifts.

Which is great if the clubs are prepared to do this. Considering some player payment arrangements, it makes you wonder where the priorities lie.
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:38 am

Lame Choice wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lame Choice wrote:

Which is great if the clubs are prepared to do this. Considering some player payment arrangements, it makes you wonder where the priorities lie.

I guess clubs have to work out if they want longevity and a good look compared to short term success. I'm sure the canteens make a killing, they are always populated and the rolls are usually around $5 with not too many left over at the end of the day, along with the pastry's and BBQ.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy