Round 14 - Central v Eagles @ Playford Alive (Sat 19/7)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 14 - Central v Eagles @ Playford Alive (Sat 19/7)

Postby Gozu » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Crowd 2,130
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Interesting video on Facebook from the day.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Unfortunately couldn't make it on Saturday, on account of Friday night's festivities. Soft.
Great result, though.
Hard to believe, with the Eagles' form over the past decade, that they still haven't been able to crack a win. Bizarre.

Listened to the RPH call and Joshy Glenn clearly starred - a couple more Magarey votes in the past two rounds, I would think.
Great to see Retzlaff is starting to have an influence.
The tackling and pressure has started to improve in recent weeks, it helps having Dutter back in the side.

Starting to wonder how much our loss to the Bays earlier in the season might come back to bite us.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:50 pm

I thought this was a danger game from the outset given it was being played at Elizabeth, the doggies having close to their best side out on the park and hitting some recent form, combined with average performance of the eagles in the last 5 weeks.

Yet again we were blown out of the water with one poor quarter that cost us the game.

Eagles simply had no answers for players like Glenn (who was outstanding), Williams and a guy called Hanna who I had never heard of before but who was pretty impressive.

For the eagles it was the same old story with Von Bertouch and Giuffreda having good games with occasional cameo moments from others. Appleton played ok but he is clearly not the answer to our midfield as he has no ‘weapon’ that will make him into a consistent performer. And he is another slow midfielder.

Put simply, I just don’t think we are anywhere near the level of a team that is sitting in the top 3. How we are still third on the ladder is simply amazing and seems to be more a result of the teams below us beating each other and we being the beneficiaries.

There are so many holes in this side its not funny. Some of the main ones:

1. Our players have a game plan but they go too easily into their shell when the opposition puts any pressure on us which makes us stray from our plan. So rather than playing a fast, direct game to take advantage of our key forwards, we play a slow and cautious game involving chipping the ball sideways and backwards which plays into the opponents hands. This leads into point two…..

2. Our foot skills are ridiculously substandard so that when we do go into our shell, we frequently turn the ball over allowing easy opposition goals. I’m amazed at how many times each match we seem to kick into the man on the mark or get our handpasses blocked.

3. Our midfield is still a bunch of plodders. The problem has not been addressed in years. There is no one capable of taking the ball, running with it and delivering with precision.

4. No ‘accumulators’ in the midfield. When was the last time we had someone capable of getting 30 possessions? Old stalwarts like Powell and Lewis rarely get more than 15 possessions in the midfield these days and they are our key players. Even Boyd since joining us has been well down. This could be due to the following point…

5. We have an average main ruck made worse by a complete lack of a second ruckman.

6. We’ve got too many players who play for frees and backchat umpires. This limits our opportunities to play the games on our terms and the lack of discipline kills us at critical times.

7. Too many mentally fragile players with poor attitudes who play as individuals rather than as a team.

8. Too many guys who look great at reserves level but can’t or won’t make the step up to consistent league players. Seriously, our reserves have been top the last couple of seasons but not too many players have stepped up which is odd. Probably only Von Bertouch and Batley.

9. No consistency. Most of our players are great one week and pitiful the next. Given their unknown performance it is virtually impossible for the coaching hierarchy to plan with confidence.

Not really anything that can be done this far into the season I’m afraid. If we are going to progress to being that consistent team it will be next year and beyond and only after we do a big clean out of this club from top to bottom.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:39 pm

Booney wrote:Interesting video on Facebook from the day.

Weslo wankers

That guy has been there every game for the twenty years ive been going and has never had a problem.

The first time I have ever seen a large group of seperate people go and get rid of weslo, the young lad shite himself and so did the copper who knew he was doing the wrong thing but as he said he has to 'follow weslo instructions' to which we have him alot of shit about

At least from that point not one cop or weslo come stood on the northern hill because the 100 guys there were gonna kick there heads in. Angriest crowd and closest I have seen to a riot at an SANFL game
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby RB » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Can someone like post the video?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Hanna from Central is the son of Ian isn't he? I use to have the number 1 on my Torrens guernsey as a kid.

No huge surprise Central win. Just makes the game against Adelaide a must win.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Aerie wrote:Hanna from Central is the son of Ian isn't he? I use to have the number 1 on my Torrens guernsey as a kid.

Yes, correct. Sam Hanna is the son of Ian 'Scruff' Hanna, who played for Torrens in the past...

He is / was a Potato and Christmas Tree farmer from Gumeracha...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSJch6vyX5g
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby bulldog2004 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:47 pm

whufc wrote:What was the crowd figure let me guess over 2k lol

That was my guess WHUFC ;)
bulldog2004
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:10 am

Still lol at all you idiots trying to claim fudged crowd figures because it's the only way that your doom and gloom argument will stand up. You do realise that if they do that the average spend per spectator will go significantly down and it will show up like dogs balls they are fudging? Not to mention they would also have to invent money to account for the ticket sales too.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:28 am

bennymacca wrote:Still lol at all you idiots trying to claim fudged crowd figures because it's the only way that your doom and gloom argument will stand up. You do realise that if they do that the average spend per spectator will go significantly down and it will show up like dogs balls they are fudging? Not to mention they would also have to invent money to account for the ticket sales too.

Now YOU look like the tin-foil hat wearer.

The crowd figures at Elizabeth Oval have been a topic of discussion since before the AFL reserves fiasco.
It has been a confusing point of concern for CDFC and opposition supporters and media which cover the SANFL.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 am

So they deliberately fudge figures at Elizabeth?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:56 am

bennymacca wrote:Still lol at all you idiots trying to claim fudged crowd figures because it's the only way that your doom and gloom argument will stand up. You do realise that if they do that the average spend per spectator will go significantly down and it will show up like dogs balls they are fudging? Not to mention they would also have to invent money to account for the ticket sales too.

Why would they have to invent money

The official crowd figure announced to public isn't split into members, kids, concession and full paying patrons so a crowd figure of 2000 at elizabeth compared to a crowd of 2000 at norwood could produce a completely different mount of revenue

As much as its a toin foil hat theory it would also be the easiest, simplest most basic way for the SANFL to produce figures that suit their argument and keep them in a job

I have been going to the ponderosa for 25 years and there was no way I hell there was over 2000 people there

75-100 max northern hill, 150-300 max eastern side flank, 50- 100 max southern hill and the grandstand was half empty as well

For whatever reason Centrals have had a fair few issues with the SANFL and crowd numbers
whufc
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:56 am

There have been questions about the crowd figure in the past.

And while you don't wish to believe that crowd figures are down, they certainly appear to be so at CDFC games. You only have to look at the ease of parking around the ground, the lack of people on the northern hill, and the reduced numbers among the traditional base of opposition supporters on the eastern wing.

I don't take any joy from that fact, either. It causes me great concern.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:08 am

Dogwatcher wrote:There have been questions about the crowd figure in the past.

And while you don't wish to believe that crowd figures are down, they certainly appear to be so at CDFC games. You only have to look at the ease of parking around the ground, the lack of people on the northern hill, and the reduced numbers among the traditional base of opposition supporters on the eastern wing.

I don't take any joy from that fact, either. It causes me great concern.

Even the area behind the players race is dead now, when I use to go see UkFan and Centurian there I would have to squeeze past people and a whole lot of excuse me to get there.

Now I can clearly see from the northern hill who is exactly behind the players race it's that dead.

Also now the northern end bar has been shut down and there running the bar and canteen out of the brick block in the north eastern pocket due to lack of patronage

I didn't go to the presidents lunch but apparently David Cavenett had some very alarming financial figures that have come from the drop of of attendances this year and 50k doesn't go close to covering costs.

I know nothing about financials or reading financials but I strongly fear Centrals are in a real bad position at the moment with no relief in site
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 am

I'm not disputing the crowds are down, it seems likely given what has been reported here, but the accusation that they would deliberately inflate figures I don't agree with. I can't think of a reason that it would be in centrals interests to do so
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 am

It was Samudogs first game back since 2011, would be interesting to read his thoughts on how the SANFL has changed since he was gone
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:13 am

[quote="bennymacca"]I'm not disputing the crowds are down, it seems likely given what has been reported here, but the accusation that they would deliberately inflate figures I don't agree with. I can't think of a reason that it would be in centrals interests to do so[/quote

I could be wrong but think you will find the SANFL run the gates at Elizabeth oval now
whufc
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:19 pm

bennymacca wrote:I'm not disputing the crowds are down, it seems likely given what has been reported here, but the accusation that they would deliberately inflate figures I don't agree with. I can't think of a reason that it would be in centrals interests to do so

So you're not disputing the crowds are down but doom and gloomers are idiots?

You are remarkable in once again saying one thing and meaning nothing.

You should join a political party asap. You've missed your calling.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:21 pm

UK Fan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I'm not disputing the crowds are down, it seems likely given what has been reported here, but the accusation that they would deliberately inflate figures I don't agree with. I can't think of a reason that it would be in centrals interests to do so

So you're not disputing the crowds are down but doom and gloomers are idiots?

You are remarkable in once again saying one thing and meaning nothing.

You should join a political party asap. You've missed your calling.

well clearly you wont ever go into politics given your comprehension skills. I was talking specifically about suggestions that crowd numbers have been deliberately inflated.

also crowds are down at elizabeth but up across the whole league. possibly the on field performance of centrals is a bigger driver
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL