SANFL MRP News & Discussions

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2014 Tribunal News & Discussions

Postby SimonH » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:47 pm

Can't recall seeing anything like it in 35 years of following footy. And there have been a lot of hotheads playing the game and a lot of idiots in the crowd yelling abuse at them across that period. There was the infamous and much more spectacular Eric Cantona case in the UK. I see it as pretty serious—you don't break that 'third wall', especially when the provocation is only verbal (it's not like the fool in the crowd took a swing). We'll see soon whether the Tribunal agrees.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby on the rails » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:51 pm

Robert Muir jumped the fence at Thebarton one afternoon - that was a classic!
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby RB » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:52 pm

What did Robbie Muir get for jumping into the crowd?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby robranisgod » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:53 pm

The Cantona incident reminds me of the headline of one of the British tabloids at the time : "Sh*t hits fan". The only problem was that I thought that Cantona kicked rather than hit the fan.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 230 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Second Team » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:14 pm

SimonH wrote:Can't recall seeing anything like it in 35 years of following footy. And there have been a lot of hotheads playing the game and a lot of idiots in the crowd yelling abuse at them across that period. There was the infamous and much more spectacular Eric Cantona case in the UK. I see it as pretty serious—you don't break that 'third wall', especially when the provocation is only verbal (it's not like the fool in the crowd took a swing). We'll see soon whether the Tribunal agrees.

Harts walks over to the fence to pick up the ball and this dick walks down to the fence to abuse him. He is lucky that he just got pushed away. Don't know why we are paying for security at these games. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Second Team
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby kingrooster » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:22 pm

According to Twitter Adam Hartlett received a 3 game penalty. Also 99 carry over points.
kingrooster
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby blood bath » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:26 pm

kingrooster wrote:According to Twitter Adam Hartlett received a 3 game penalty. Also 99 carry over points.

With 99 carry over points it pretty much means next time he is suspended he will cop another week on top. Just a matter of time....
blood bath
Under 16s

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby The Apostle » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Will Sturt supporters now pass around the hat to compensate Adam for earnings lost due to one of their dickhead supporters like last time???
The Apostle
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby dedja » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Should do, it's the same dickhead.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 995 times

Postby Mark_Beswick » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Did they apply that formula medium impact, intention stuff for carry-over points?
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby the joker » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 pm

That's a pretty soft ban. If the supporter pushed adam he would've received a life ban from going to games. Should've got at least 8 or 10 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby redden whites » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:37 pm

nice mention of the sturt cheer squad.
the the bottom feeders of the sanfl supporters
redden whites
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby SimonH » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:04 am

Second Team wrote:Harts walks over to the fence to pick up the ball and this dick walks down to the fence to abuse him. He is lucky that he just got pushed away. Don't know why we are paying for security at these games. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
No doubt that 'dickhead abusing player, dickhead gets assaulted' is the story. Still serious. It's a bit enthusiastic to blame security based on this alone—it happened in seconds, and they can't be expected to act as secondary boundary umpires, sprinting around the ground to be wherever the ball is. If the guy had been behaving inappropriately for many minutes/ quarters before, it's a different story.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby JK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:03 am

I would be surprised at the soft penalty Hartlett received, but Westies run the SANFL
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:25 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Be fascinated to know what was said.

Well it seems the player and the spectator have vastly differing recollections of what was indeed said :

Hartlett to the tribunal - "I'm going to bash you Hartlett, you ******* dog!"

The spectator - "..you are a dickhead Hartlett, an absolute dickhead!"

From Adelaidenow :

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6997358246

WEST Adelaide defender Adam Hartlett has been suspended for three weeks for misconduct following a physical altercation with Sturt fan Luke Grant during Saturday’s SANFL match at Richmond Oval.

Hartlett and Grant clashed as the player went to retrieve the ball behind the goals during the third quarter of the match.

Grant had run down to the fence line to abuse him.

The tribunal accepted Hartlett’s testimony that he did not intend to make contact with Grant but but had pushed a cyclone fence in between the pair in attempt to scare the supporter, who was abusing him.

Hartlett said the fence had more give in it than he expected which caused the wire to strike Grant. The tribunal accepted this.

Hartlett said Grant had verbally threatened him and his family which caused his reaction.

Hartlett submitted to the tribunal that Grant told him:

“I’m going to bash you Hartlett, you f***in’ dog.”

He also said members of Sturt’s cheer squad told him they wanted to meet him in the carpark after the match.

A member of the cheer squad, not Grant, was evicted at three-quarter time, over another incident.

Weslo staff said that supporters had approached Hartlett and threatened him near the players’ huddle.

Grant, who also had a physical altercation with Eagles player Leigh Treeby in 2010, was interviewed during the hearing.

He denied threatening Hartlett, claiming he approached him and said “you are a d***head, Hartlett, you are an absolute d***head”.

Grant said he believed Hartlett had looked at him and deliberately struck at him with a clenched fist.

He said he sustained a minor cut inside his lip and a bump on the nose.

A Weslo security staff member who witnessed the incident also believed Hartlett used a clenched fist.

Vision of the incident appears to show Hartlett’s hands were open and the tribunal accepted this.

The tribunal found that the contact between Hartlett and Grant was high, but of low impact.

They upgraded the impact to “medium” on account of the fact grant was a spectator.

Hartlett’s tribunal delegate, Graeme Garton, told the tribunal Grant’s abuse was over and above what a player should have to receive during a match.

The tribunal told Hartlett that Grant’s abuse did not excuse his decision to strike at the fence, which they said was dangerous.

Hartlett was given 99 carry over points over the incident.

He will be eligible to return for West’s final minor round match.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby cennals05 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:30 am

Maybe Sturt can do something about Luke Grant. He doesn't exactly sound like someone you want to have around the club.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Tubby » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:01 am

Can the SANFL ban this supporter or does it have to be handled by the Sturt Football Club ??
Tubby
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Ronnie » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:09 am

I don't disagree with Hartlett's penalty but in a peverse way it might encourage more of the dregs to front up (from behind a fence) and let loose at an opposition player. It would be a badge of honour to some of the cretins to think that they had a hand in a key opposition player missing important matches, for some, probably the highlight of their tiny lives. The fan involved has to face some consequences of his actions. What is going to happen to Grant??
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:13 am

I wonder if the club is going to chat with him. He'd be well known.
Occasionally spectators/players have confrontations, rare is it that they result in the two situations we've seen with a repeat offender.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby knowledge » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:46 am

Hartlett’s tribunal delegate, Graeme Garton, told the tribunal Grant’s abuse was over and above what a player should have to receive during a match.

Really? Talk about the boy crying wolf! Poor Adam's offended at being called a "dickhead", if you accept said spectator's version of events, or, if you accept Adam's version of events, that said spectator was going to "bash him"" and that Hartlett was a "f......g dog."" I can't imagine either rates with running around the entire game telling your opponent that you were involved in"sexual trysts with your opponents girlfriend/fiancee'." I think verbal abuse of any type is a bit yesterday's news, and I'm not condoning the supporters behaviour. I accept, also, that what's "said on the field, stays on the field." But going to the tribunal and saying your feelings were hurt after engaging in on field sledging of the above type is a bit rich. I'd strongly suggest, Adam, that you undergo anger management intervention. You've got a history of it, on and off the field, and I'd hate to see you ending up deeply regretting your actions.
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL