HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby Yellow & Black » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:44 pm

If I was a betting man (or if there was a market available), I'd have a few quid on TV making the 5. Seem to be playing good footy atm, throw in the fact the 50/50 games are played at the very narrow Mt Torrens oval which will suit their style. Could mean round 18 becomes an early elimination final up at Thunder Park???
Yellow & Black

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:54 pm

Yellow & Black wrote:If I was a betting man (or if there was a market available), I'd have a few quid on TV making the 5. Seem to be playing good footy atm, throw in the fact the 50/50 games are played at the very narrow Mt Torrens oval which will suit their style. Could mean round 18 becomes an early elimination final up at Thunder Park???

So they should - they're the only team playing in the Central Division with 18 APPS at their disposal, which gives them a clear advantage over the teams they're competing against.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby The Crimson Chin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Yellow & Black wrote:If I was a betting man (or if there was a market available), I'd have a few quid on TV making the 5. Seem to be playing good footy atm, throw in the fact the 50/50 games are played at the very narrow Mt Torrens oval which will suit their style. Could mean round 18 becomes an early elimination final up at Thunder Park???

TV would have to win every game to be in a chance and results going there way... Would be pretty impressive if it happened.
The Crimson Chin
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Blackwood

Postby Legs Man » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:44 pm

Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:

So they should - they're the only team playing in the Central Division with 18 APPS at their disposal, which gives them a clear advantage over the teams they're competing against.

Gee wizz - if TV gets through not being relegated with 5 more points than Echunga is allowed, then whoever is up for relegation should be mighty pissed off.

I still can't understand how this can happen from a personal club level when Echunga has come from the lower league supposedly.

Without the "sooky la la brother" clause TV still starts with 3 points more even though they are above Echunga prior season start.

By my reckoning using simple logic - the bottom team e.g coming up - must start with the maximum points allocation.

If Country div isn't deemed below Central then there is no substance to promotion or relegation - or is there some bias or component I am not getting?

Does O'sullivan still fit in their points cap if they have only 13 points to use? - the same as Echunga!
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby supercoach » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:44 pm

interesting isnt it. We have 2 clubs in echunga and TV who spend the bucks and have half decent a grade sides yet crap junior programs. Will it be that when they play in a few weeks time that the winner of the a grade game will determine who gets relegated ? One would think TV would win the first 4 games that day so if they won the a grade game echunga would be staring relegation in the face. Clubs like Bridgy and Ironbank and Onkas will be fine even if they dont win many a grade games as they have developed their kids and get an even points spread in the MC shield. They dont deserve to get relegated as they will be strong clubs in the next year or 2 due to their good local content coming along. It will be a great last 5 weeks of the season.
supercoach
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Uraidla Districts

Postby Banker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:40 pm

Throwing stones at other clubs wont help IB play finals this year Supercoach!
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:46 pm

supercoach wrote:interesting isnt it. We have 2 clubs in echunga and TV who spend the bucks and have half decent a grade sides yet crap junior programs. Will it be that when they play in a few weeks time that the winner of the a grade game will determine who gets relegated ? One would think TV would win the first 4 games that day so if they won the a grade game echunga would be staring relegation in the face. Clubs like Bridgy and Ironbank and Onkas will be fine even if they dont win many a grade games as they have developed their kids and get an even points spread in the MC shield. They dont deserve to get relegated as they will be strong clubs in the next year or 2 due to their good local content coming along. It will be a great last 5 weeks of the season.

I can only assume you're stirring the pot here. If there was one club in the HFL that meets the definition of spending big bucks on A grade with poor junior programs it would be Uraidla.

If you're not stirring the pot, the you might want to consider the words pot, kettle, black.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Champ » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:29 pm

supercoach wrote:interesting isnt it. We have 2 clubs in echunga and TV who spend the bucks and have half decent a grade sides yet crap junior programs. Will it be that when they play in a few weeks time that the winner of the a grade game will determine who gets relegated ? One would think TV would win the first 4 games that day so if they won the a grade game echunga would be staring relegation in the face. Clubs like Bridgy and Ironbank and Onkas will be fine even if they dont win many a grade games as they have developed their kids and get an even points spread in the MC shield. They dont deserve to get relegated as they will be strong clubs in the next year or 2 due to their good local content coming along. It will be a great last 5 weeks of the season.

Out of interest how many Uraidla juniors are currently in your A'grade side?
Champ
Under 18s

Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby magpiemaster » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Banker wrote:Throwing stones at other clubs wont help IB play finals this year Supercoach!

Go view Supercoach's older post's. He is clearly an Ironbank supporter. Stir the pot SC stir away.
magpiemaster
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Kick'n Back » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:22 am

Champ wrote:

Probably more than Echunga Champ.
Kick'n Back
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times

Postby The Sorce » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:31 am

If you have a look at Saturdays best for Echunga 4 out of the 5 best on ground were all locals!!!!! From Saturdays results can anyone name one other Central Club with those stats????? But apparently it's BIG buck winning games not a great environment to play team football in surrounded by a solid senior and junior program. Yes there is still some work to be done across all levels but these are never quick fixes.... Already this year Echunga has delivered on the aspects required (fielding all junior teams), something that did not happen last year...
Country Division
The Sorce
Under 16s

Been liked: 4 times

Postby chopper7 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:22 am

The Sorce wrote:If you have a look at Saturdays best for Echunga 4 out of the 5 best on ground were all locals!!!!! From Saturdays results can anyone name one other Central Club with those stats????? But apparently it's BIG buck winning games not a great environment to play team football in surrounded by a solid senior and junior program. Yes there is still some work to be done across all levels but these are never quick fixes.... Already this year Echunga has delivered on the aspects required (fielding all junior teams), something that did not happen last year...

Lobethal, Hahndorf and Onkas have more locals than any side running around IMHO. Their best on the weekend were Nitschke (local) Aufderheide J (local) Aufderheide S (local) Jenkin T (Local) and Kye Turpin (Local). You Echunga people shouldn't throw stones either when talking about BIG buck players.... Ai$h, Lind$ay, Wil$on, Harland, Carey. These blokes are big buck players, so get off your high horse mate.
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Peakedinhighschool » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:34 am

Champ wrote:

Supercoach can do all the stirring he likes. Richards, moulds, cox, Pridham, Sutton, Tudor, Kluvanek, Liebelt, Wotton, Nicholson, heading and Kepa are all local players that would be more than happy to have had the opportunity to win a grade flags. All of which would admit they are better footballers since the arrival of the recruits at uraidla. How many other clubs have local a grade central div premiership players in the last 6 or 7 that can say that...

Not having a crack at the way other clubs are going about things. Uraidla would obviously like to promote more local youth in their a grade however we all know the club would be playing country div without the heavy recruiting. Every club is different in the way they go about addressing this issue.

Would also like to point out that Tudor, Liebelt, Kluvanek, Wotton, heading and Nicholson al played in u17 grand finals while heavy recruit occurred at the club while moulds, cox and Richards got smashed in every junior grade they played when recruiting wasn't happening. Perhaps the junior number problems at uraidla are caused by more than just it's recruiting like everyone one this forum likes to point out so often.
Peakedinhighschool
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Uraidla Districts

Postby Legs Man » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:11 am

Interesting but uneducated comments by SC - perhaps some sour grapes or a feeling of guilt taking into account the money IB are paying for Jarman, Alleway and Motlop without gaining the results they should.? (taking into account Echunga was also negotiating for Motlop and IB offered more so we have an understanding of this and what IB have been spending.)

I would also suspect Jarman is the highest paid playing coach in the HFL. (At his age and being the coach should he be in the side before a local?)

Uraidla,TV, Lobey and others also pay players - but maintaining a good local player number along with recruits as we are doing gives the up and coming senior colts something to aim for. (well that's the plan anyway)

Lobey and Uraidla also seem to take this path which we have adopted looking to succeed.(I am not sure of TV and how they roll except to say that the money being spent to avoid relegation is over the top)

Echunga actually has an good junior program in place but found it hard to attract junior players while playing in Country div.
Now that they are in Central - albeit with very late notification - the junior sides are on the improve with respect to both number of players and results.

All clubs recruit within Central div to compete - and it has become a vicious circle with respect to this.
Fortunately Echunga has a good spread of locals in its A grade complimented by some good recruits - which anyone who has followed our player stocks in country div would know.

Our senior colts hold their own and junior colts are slowly developing along with our under 13 side.

I also think it is reasonable for Echunga to be given the maximum allowable points when coming up from the lower division - but they were not - and hence are playing at a disadvantage against TV who have up to 18 points.

Again I pose the question - why have TV been given more points than sides below them after the 2013 season?

It will certainly be an interesting few weeks - but my money is on Echunga avoiding relegation - even with one hand tied behind it's back!
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Mop Up » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 am

I sometimes get stuck into the local debate also, as I mean it is probably an indicator of how strong your club is and also for a sense of pride but the more I've thought about it the more I think...
In reality this very often coincides with the size of the town your club is in.... very easy to play local talent when you have local TALENT.
I don't think we can have a go at the clubs, who clearly don't have the talent coming through and have to find other ways to improve their senior grades.
And the counter 'put money into the junior program' argument is a naive one. All clubs invest here, and money helps but only up to a certain level. You could invest major $$ into your juniors, but the reality is you are not going to get kids who live in towns with football teams to come to your club. Not saying clubs couldn't do more, but always a strong correlation between where you live and where you play footy.
Mop Up
League - Best 21

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Mop Up » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:23 am

Legs Man wrote:

Interesting but uneducated comments by SC - perhaps some sour grapes or a feeling of guilt taking into account the money IB are paying for Jarman, Alleway and Motlop without gaining the results they should.? (taking into account Echunga was also negotiating for Motlop and IB offered more so we have an understanding of this and what IB have been spending.)

I would also suspect Jarman is the highest paid playing coach in the HFL. (At his age and being the coach should he be in the side before a local?)

Uraidla,TV, Lobey and others also pay players - but maintaining a good local player number along with recruits as we are doing gives the up and coming senior colts something to aim for. (well that's the plan anyway)

Lobey and Uraidla also seem to take this path which we have adopted looking to succeed.(I am not sure of TV and how they roll except to say that the money being spent to avoid relegation is over the top)

Echunga actually has an good junior program in place but found it hard to attract junior players while playing in Country div.
Now that they are in Central - albeit with very late notification - the junior sides are on the improve with respect to both number of players and results.

All clubs recruit within Central div to compete - and it has become a vicious circle with respect to this.
Fortunately Echunga has a good spread of locals in its A grade complimented by some good recruits - which anyone who has followed our player stocks in country div would know.

Our senior colts hold their own and junior colts are slowly developing along with our under 13 side.

I also think it is reasonable for Echunga to be given the maximum allowable points when coming up from the lower division - but they were not - and hence are playing at a disadvantage against TV who have up to 18 points.

Again I pose the question - why have TV been given more points than sides below them after the 2013 season?

It will certainly be an interesting few weeks - but my money is on Echunga avoiding relegation - even with one hand tied behind it's back!

Legs - don't get sucked in by SC and then resort to his level of making statements of which you are clearly not informed enough about to make. .. you may know stuff about Echunga but you don't about IB.
i.e. - Alleway played one game during a bye for Glenelg and received no payment.
i.e. - IB offered less than Echunga to Motlop
i.e. - Jarman played one sole game
Mop Up
League - Best 21

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Legs Man » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:44 am

Mop Up wrote:
Legs Man wrote:

Legs - don't get sucked in by SC and then resort to his level of making statements of which you are clearly not informed enough about to make. .. you may know stuff about Echunga but you don't about IB.
i.e. - Alleway played one game during a bye for Glenelg and received no payment.
i.e. - IB offered less than Echunga to Motlop
i.e. - Jarman played one sole game

Thanks Mop

Purely making a statement as we saw it at Echunga re Motlop & Jarman with Alleway being an assumption (point taken)

Agree entirely about juniors and player availability with money invested into this area of the club.

We have tried to present both an environment and facility to draw juniors to our club from surrounding areas and sides that have overflow and lots of kids in their immediate area.

In Country we can't do that as junior parents and juniors themselves wont travel to a different league's grounds. (we have really noticed this as of this season)

I can certainly hold my own when it comes to stirring - but try and take an even minded approach which can be difficult at times.

I shouldn't lower myself to someone like SC's level of rhetoric and limited understanding of Hills footy.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Banker » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:57 am

Mercenary

adjective

primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.

How much longer does this have to go on for before players/members/supporters wake up and realise its all these mercenaries that are hurting our community clubs? Imagine the facilities we could all afford if we wernet so focused on A grade finals.

Most clubs barely have a weights shed, yet the majority of A graders I know have a $1k per year gym membership. Just one season of freezing 'petrol money' could easily cover the costs of building one.

Its time for everyone to stop attacking each other, and start openly discussing internally this insane situation of every dollar raised by the hard working volunteers of the community in sponsorships/gate/bar/canteen is just being poured down the drain for short term success.
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Legs Man » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Banker wrote:
Mercenary

adjective

primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.

How much longer does this have to go on for before players/members/supporters wake up and realise its all these mercenaries that are hurting our community clubs? Imagine the facilities we could all afford if we wernet so focused on A grade finals.

Most clubs barely have a weights shed, yet the majority of A graders I know have a $1k per year gym membership. Just one season of freezing 'petrol money' could easily cover the costs of building one.

Its time for everyone to stop attacking each other, and start openly discussing internally this insane situation of every dollar raised by the hard working volunteers of the community in sponsorships/gate/bar/canteen is just being poured down the drain for short term success.

Yes very valid point - any club with substandard facilities should play in Country div until they have spent on and brought their infrastructure up to the same standard as Echunga :lol:
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Legs Man » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:11 pm

chopper7 wrote:
The Sorce wrote:If you have a look at Saturdays best for Echunga 4 out of the 5 best on ground were all locals!!!!! From Saturdays results can anyone name one other Central Club with those stats????? But apparently it's BIG buck winning games not a great environment to play team football in surrounded by a solid senior and junior program. Yes there is still some work to be done across all levels but these are never quick fixes.... Already this year Echunga has delivered on the aspects required (fielding all junior teams), something that did not happen last year...

Lobethal, Hahndorf and Onkas have more locals than any side running around IMHO. Their best on the weekend were Nitschke (local) Aufderheide J (local) Aufderheide S (local) Jenkin T (Local) and Kye Turpin (Local). You Echunga people shouldn't throw stones either when talking about BIG buck players.... Ai$h, Lind$ay, Wil$on, Harland, Carey. These blokes are big buck players, so get off your high horse mate.

Not throwing stones Chopper - I have openly stated previously that many sides require remunerated players to compete in Central.

BTW - i don't own a horse!
Legs Man
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy