HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby has been » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:40 pm

Legs man the super coach has sucked you in. He has been involved in Hills football for over 20 years, coached premierships at A Grade level and in all has 10 premierships in his resume so don't say he does not have the knowledge or is uniformed. He has also played league footy. So quite the opposite. It would be interesting to hear what you guys think Jarman and Motlop get as a ball park figure and how much do you think IB pay players are paid - I think you will be miles off the mark. I also don't think the bankers are good enough to make the finals this year. When you turn over the number of A Grade players they have the past 2 years it takes a bit of time to rebuild. I think what some saw last Saturday at Mt Barker in the last quarter is a possible sign of the standard they may get to next year. That will be good - better than most but I think you will find they too had about 15-16 locals on Saturday. You may find the locals have also been their better players the majority of the year and I also think they do better than any club with their juniors as they are truly a team without a town. All of their juniors are a good chance to play finals and the senior colts have about 6 players who will definitely be quality A grade players within 2 years. Jarman has the IB club on the right track and the culture is changing to a club that wants to be successful like the Uraidla's etc. :D :D
has been
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby RooShootOhh » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Legs Man wrote:
Banker wrote:
Mercenary

adjective

primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.

How much longer does this have to go on for before players/members/supporters wake up and realise its all these mercenaries that are hurting our community clubs? Imagine the facilities we could all afford if we wernet so focused on A grade finals.

Most clubs barely have a weights shed, yet the majority of A graders I know have a $1k per year gym membership. Just one season of freezing 'petrol money' could easily cover the costs of building one.

Its time for everyone to stop attacking each other, and start openly discussing internally this insane situation of every dollar raised by the hard working volunteers of the community in sponsorships/gate/bar/canteen is just being poured down the drain for short term success.

Yes very valid point - any club with substandard facilities should play in Country div until they have spent on and brought their infrastructure up to the same standard as Echunga :lol:

Whilst there may be a few players out there that fit this bill, most of the blame lies solely with the clubs, and until they realise this, it will never change!

It is as simple as this, it doesnt matter what amount a player may ask for, he will only get that amount if the CLUB are WILLING to give it to him.

Players don't shop themsleves around like people suggest (apart from a few who realistically give everyone a bad name), more often than not, clubs just outbid each other without the player even asking for money.

"What did club A offer you? We will beat it by $100 a game" would happen 90% of the time in talks rather than the player saying "they offered me $700 so if you give me $800 Ill play with you"

And given its the clubs that do this can you balme players.... Throw the old addage of footy loyalty out the window (because if a player is on the move, they dont have a loyalty to the clubs they are talking to), if it was your job, doing the same thing for 2 differeing companies, company A offered you $50k a year and Company B offered you $60k a year, where would you go.

The reality is, clubs need to start creating an environment where blokes want to play with their mates, want to bring more mates into that environment and while they are being paid to play, it is not the $ figure that is luring them there. This is harder said than done I realise and the APPS soemtimes limits your recruiting, but it is still the best way to survive.
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby Legs Man » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Now you have me thinking who SC is - as I have been around a while also.

His comments did seem uninformed though especially when referring to number of locals in Echunga's side and how crap our junior program is...

Re Player payment : No one truly knows what guys are on unless you have personally been involved in the deal.

I obviously know Echunga's outlay as I am close to the situation - but have no true amount that others receive.

Speculation isn't helping any of us but is a good talking point - as shown by the O'Sullivan deal as featured in the Advertiser.

With the knowledge and understanding of the HFL that SC has - can he please assist me with my previous question as to why TV get more points than other sides who finished below them in 2013 - especially Echunga - with TV having a 5 point head start when the sooky la la clause is activated.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Champ » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Mop Up wrote:
Legs Man wrote:
supercoach wrote:interesting isnt it. We have 2 clubs in echunga and TV who spend the bucks and have half decent a grade sides yet crap junior programs. Will it be that when they play in a few weeks time that the winner of the a grade game will determine who gets relegated ? One would think TV would win the first 4 games that day so if they won the a grade game echunga would be staring relegation in the face. Clubs like Bridgy and Ironbank and Onkas will be fine even if they dont win many a grade games as they have developed their kids and get an even points spread in the MC shield. They dont deserve to get relegated as they will be strong clubs in the next year or 2 due to their good local content coming along. It will be a great last 5 weeks of the season.

Interesting but uneducated comments by SC - perhaps some sour grapes or a feeling of guilt taking into account the money IB are paying for Jarman, Alleway and Motlop without gaining the results they should.? (taking into account Echunga was also negotiating for Motlop and IB offered more so we have an understanding of this and what IB have been spending.)

I would also suspect Jarman is the highest paid playing coach in the HFL. (At his age and being the coach should he be in the side before a local?)

Uraidla,TV, Lobey and others also pay players - but maintaining a good local player number along with recruits as we are doing gives the up and coming senior colts something to aim for. (well that's the plan anyway)

Lobey and Uraidla also seem to take this path which we have adopted looking to succeed.(I am not sure of TV and how they roll except to say that the money being spent to avoid relegation is over the top)

Echunga actually has an good junior program in place but found it hard to attract junior players while playing in Country div.
Now that they are in Central - albeit with very late notification - the junior sides are on the improve with respect to both number of players and results.

All clubs recruit within Central div to compete - and it has become a vicious circle with respect to this.
Fortunately Echunga has a good spread of locals in its A grade complimented by some good recruits - which anyone who has followed our player stocks in country div would know.

Our senior colts hold their own and junior colts are slowly developing along with our under 13 side.

I also think it is reasonable for Echunga to be given the maximum allowable points when coming up from the lower division - but they were not - and hence are playing at a disadvantage against TV who have up to 18 points.

Again I pose the question - why have TV been given more points than sides below them after the 2013 season?

It will certainly be an interesting few weeks - but my money is on Echunga avoiding relegation - even with one hand tied behind it's back!

Legs - don't get sucked in by SC and then resort to his level of making statements of which you are clearly not informed enough about to make. .. you may know stuff about Echunga but you don't about IB.
i.e. - Alleway played one game during a bye for Glenelg and received no payment.
i.e. - IB offered less than Echunga to Motlopi.e. - Jarman played one sole game

Categorically 1million percent untrue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Champ
Under 18s

Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Champ » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:30 pm

has been wrote:Legs man the super coach has sucked you in. He has been involved in Hills football for over 20 years, coached premierships at A Grade level and in all has 10 premierships in his resume so don't say he does not have the knowledge or is uniformed. He has also played league footy. So quite the opposite. It would be interesting to hear what you guys think Jarman and Motlop get as a ball park figure and how much do you think IB pay players are paid - I think you will be miles off the mark. I also don't think the bankers are good enough to make the finals this year. When you turn over the number of A Grade players they have the past 2 years it takes a bit of time to rebuild. I think what some saw last Saturday at Mt Barker in the last quarter is a possible sign of the standard they may get to next year. That will be good - better than most but I think you will find they too had about 15-16 locals on Saturday. You may find the locals have also been their better players the majority of the year and I also think they do better than any club with their juniors as they are truly a team without a town. All of their juniors are a good chance to play finals and the senior colts have about 6 players who will definitely be quality A grade players within 2 years. Jarman has the IB club on the right track and the culture is changing to a club that wants to be successful like the Uraidla's etc. :D :D

Then he's a bit of a knob for using 'supercoach' as his name.
Your argument is as void as your questioning; everyone is on here speculating what everyone else is doing/paying. Why do you all bother - truth is because NO-ONE trully knows what each is paying then players drive their prices up each year - this is how we got here. So while clubs are squabbling over a guessing game players are rubbing their hands together!
Torrens Valley and Echunga have the smallest populations and the schools in their regions I believe? If so how can they magically build a formidable junior program? Does that mean instead of paying whatever they pay to remain in the game at senior level they should pack up? Then what, you'll all sit around crying about why the league has so few teams?
It's heating up!
Champ
Under 18s

Postby Champ » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:34 pm

RooShootOhh wrote:
Legs Man wrote:
Banker wrote:
Mercenary

adjective

primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.

How much longer does this have to go on for before players/members/supporters wake up and realise its all these mercenaries that are hurting our community clubs? Imagine the facilities we could all afford if we wernet so focused on A grade finals.

Most clubs barely have a weights shed, yet the majority of A graders I know have a $1k per year gym membership. Just one season of freezing 'petrol money' could easily cover the costs of building one.

Its time for everyone to stop attacking each other, and start openly discussing internally this insane situation of every dollar raised by the hard working volunteers of the community in sponsorships/gate/bar/canteen is just being poured down the drain for short term success.

Yes very valid point - any club with substandard facilities should play in Country div until they have spent on and brought their infrastructure up to the same standard as Echunga :lol:

Whilst there may be a few players out there that fit this bill, most of the blame lies solely with the clubs, and until they realise this, it will never change!

It is as simple as this, it doesnt matter what amount a player may ask for, he will only get that amount if the CLUB are WILLING to give it to him.

Players don't shop themsleves around like people suggest (apart from a few who realistically give everyone a bad name), more often than not, clubs just outbid each other without the player even asking for money.

"What did club A offer you? We will beat it by $100 a game" would happen 90% of the time in talks rather than the player saying "they offered me $700 so if you give me $800 Ill play with you"

And given its the clubs that do this can you balme players.... Throw the old addage of footy loyalty out the window (because if a player is on the move, they dont have a loyalty to the clubs they are talking to), if it was your job, doing the same thing for 2 differeing companies, company A offered you $50k a year and Company B offered you $60k a year, where would you go.

The reality is, clubs need to start creating an environment where blokes want to play with their mates, want to bring more mates into that environment and while they are being paid to play, it is not the $ figure that is luring them there. This is harder said than done I realise and the APPS soemtimes limits your recruiting, but it is still the best way to survive.

Instead of the APPS I liked the 'import' rule where you could get whoever you wanted to no limit but could only play X number in your A'grade at any one time. Normally X number was based either on where you finished on the ladder the year previously or the size of your population every 2-3 seasons.
Was this something in the HILLS previously?
Champ
Under 18s

Postby has been » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Champ I love your style. You just proved you know nothing - IB has the smallest town in the hills comp by a mile. Nearest school is at Scott Creek and less than 60 kids. How many reside in M P and Echunga. I know to the dollar what Motlop and Jarman get and you are so far off the mark its laughable. I for one like many believe money is killing footy and the only way you can kind of police that is to put the player payments through the books - give them group certs and then say to clubs right you must play 18-19 local players out of 21 or 22 each week. - 3 imports only. They do this in a couple of leagues I have seen in Vic and it works quite well. FYI you will find that the ATO auditors are now starting to look harder at local clubs and guess who is going to be responsible for accounting practices and tax avoidance - cash payment- issues. You guessed it Committees and Presidents. As the economy tightens things will change all for the better hopefully.
has been
Rookie

Been liked: 7 times

Postby Kick'n Back » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:34 pm

Legs Man wrote:Now you have me thinking who SC is - as I have been around a while also.

His comments did seem uninformed though especially when referring to number of locals in Echunga's side and how crap our junior program is...

Re Player payment : No one truly knows what guys are on unless you have personally been involved in the deal.

I obviously know Echunga's outlay as I am close to the situation - but have no true amount that others receive.

Speculation isn't helping any of us but is a good talking point - as shown by the O'Sullivan deal as featured in the Advertiser.

With the knowledge and understanding of the HFL that SC has - can he please assist me with my previous question as to why TV get more points than other sides who finished below them in 2013 - especially Echunga - with TV having a 5 point head start when the sooky la la clause is activated.

Yet it was ok for Echunga to have extra points last year in Country div.
Kick'n Back
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times

Postby cricketlad » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:33 pm

has been wrote:Champ I love your style. You just proved you know nothing - IB has the smallest town in the hills comp by a mile. Nearest school is at Scott Creek and less than 60 kids. How many reside in M P and Echunga. I know to the dollar what Motlop and Jarman get and you are so far off the mark its laughable. I for one like many believe money is killing footy and the only way you can kind of police that is to put the player payments through the books - give them group certs and then say to clubs right you must play 18-19 local players out of 21 or 22 each week. - 3 imports only. They do this in a couple of leagues I have seen in Vic and it works quite well. FYI you will find that the ATO auditors are now starting to look harder at local clubs and guess who is going to be responsible for accounting practices and tax avoidance - cash payment- issues. You guessed it Committees and Presidents. As the economy tightens things will change all for the better hopefully.

Can't see this working. If every team only is allowed 3 imports then all of a sudden a club like Mt Barker which has 10,000 people in their township has a massive advantage over clubs like Echunga, TV, Ironbank and Uraidla. ATM this is the closest year of footy in A grade I have seen. Any team on any day can win, isn't that great for the game? Only a few years back Lobey and lofty played out a game with a 50 goal margin...now do we want to see this again? The standard is that good atm it makes every player around the comp work even harder to succeed, cant see that being anything but a positive for the Hills football comp. Clubs need to manage their finances and their points accordingly and it becomes a skill in itself. Obviously we don't want clubs spending more then they can afford but you can only assume the people on each clubs board would have the clubs best future interests at heart. And I'm sure every club out there is still working to improve their facilities as they all have area's that could be improved. Clubs like bridgy or onkas this year may not spend much coin but in years to come with their locals having some games under their belt they may wish to recruit 2 players that can help them bridge the gap to the top few. Like Lobethal have done and are starting to seem them get real close to a flag.
cricketlad
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby Champ » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:21 pm

has been wrote:Champ I love your style. You just proved you know nothing - IB has the smallest town in the hills comp by a mile. Nearest school is at Scott Creek and less than 60 kids. How many reside in M P and Echunga. I know to the dollar what Motlop and Jarman get and you are so far off the mark its laughable. I for one like many believe money is killing footy and the only way you can kind of police that is to put the player payments through the books - give them group certs and then say to clubs right you must play 18-19 local players out of 21 or 22 each week. - 3 imports only. They do this in a couple of leagues I have seen in Vic and it works quite well. FYI you will find that the ATO auditors are now starting to look harder at local clubs and guess who is going to be responsible for accounting practices and tax avoidance - cash payment- issues. You guessed it Committees and Presidents. As the economy tightens things will change all for the better hopefully.

Thank you, I feel equally find of your errr style... But I'm pretty sure my post had a question mark regarding both population and the import system you so lets just say apology accepted.

Are you the Ironbank treasurer? Daniel Motlop elected his 2014 club based on dollars and cents but you'd have all in sundry believe he is there for love of club and coach and it's just simply not true! Next you'll bang on that Ironbank weren't out to be premiers this year and that it was a two year plan blah blah blah but then why would you fly blokes in from Darwin? Why would you assist in relocating another - let me guess they also get next to nothing because they all share your vision, faith and passion for the club?

I'm not knocking you to be honest, in my opinion clubs exist to win premierships so however each club can do that is up to them as long as it's in the rules.
Champ
Under 18s

Postby One Club Player » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:52 pm

has been wrote:FYI you will find that the ATO auditors are now starting to look harder at local clubs and guess who is going to be responsible for accounting practices and tax avoidance - cash payment- issues

This is awesome. Those ATO audit men can man the gate, canteen, bar, BBQ and collect player subs to check all the cash coming in. The hard working volunteers all clubs have will finally get to watch the footy. About time we got something for our tax dollars.
One Club Player
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby One Club Player » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:05 am

Champ wrote: everyone is on here speculating what everyone else is doing/paying. Why do you all bother - truth is because NO-ONE trully knows what each is paying

No one apart from you apparently............or are you actually Daniel Motlop?
One Club Player
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Legs Man » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:22 am

Kick'n Back wrote:
Legs Man wrote:Now you have me thinking who SC is - as I have been around a while also.

Yet it was ok for Echunga to have extra points last year in Country div.

i understand a player getting points allocated due to extenuating circumstances - on a case by case basis.

My main point of conjecture is:

WHY DID TV START WITH MORE POINTS THAN THE TEAM COMING UP FROM THE LOWER LEAGUE??????

Why isn't the team coming up allocated maximum points e.g. 15 as they are COMING UP!

AND - with this being the case - as it is this year - promotion / relegation is moot due to Country div not being considered the lower division when points allocation is done by the HFL.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Champ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:29 am

One Club Player wrote:
Champ wrote: everyone is on here speculating what everyone else is doing/paying. Why do you all bother - truth is because NO-ONE trully knows what each is paying

No one apart from you apparently............or are you actually Daniel Motlop?

Close
Champ
Under 18s

Postby Yellow & Black » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:51 pm

This weeks tips:
Onkas to upset Echunga on a reasonable deck at Balhannah
Predicting a draw up at a very heavy Windy Hill
I think the young Hahndorf outfit will be taught a footy lesson from Uraidla
Torrens Valley to win the mud fight 0.1 to 0.0 against the Tigers on the disgrace that is Mt Torrens oval
The Thunderer's to take the points against an improving Bridgey
Yellow & Black

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Champ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Yellow & Black wrote:This weeks tips:
Torrens Valley to win the mud fight 0.1 to 0.0 against the Tigers on the disgrace that is Mt Torrens oval

Demons
Blackwood
Torrens Valley
Demons
Bridgewater
Champ
Under 18s

Postby cracka » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:51 pm

Yellow & Black wrote:This weeks tips:

I drove past this morning & its being renamed Lake Balhannah.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Legs Man » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Great - nice to know that drainage isn't applicable to some of the ovals.

Sure it is a winter sport but when you are in the Adelaide Hills drainage for your oval is an essential requirement.

On a positive note - Echunga should be used to it after playing at Blackwood and their boggy oval last week.

Can't wait to get back on the home deck!
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby toot toot » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:37 pm

Legs Man wrote:Great - nice to know that drainage isn't applicable to some of the ovals.

Sure it is a winter sport but when you are in the Adelaide Hills drainage for your oval is an essential requirement.

On a positive note - Echunga should be used to it after playing at Blackwood and their boggy oval last week.

Surely this is a joke? Good on Echunga for upgrading their drainage, but seriously stop going on about how good your facilities are, you've made your point and no one cares. This isn't the AFL, it's hills footy. Ovals are going to get muddy, deal with it.

On a side note, I would have thought a lot of ovals are still under the control of the council, so it's not the clubs responsibility to pay for upgrades to the oval.
toot toot
Under 16s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Legs Man » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:44 pm

toot toot wrote:
Legs Man wrote:Great - nice to know that drainage isn't applicable to some of the ovals.

Surely this is a joke? Good on Echunga for upgrading their drainage, but seriously stop going on about how good your facilities are, you've made your point and no one cares. This isn't the AFL, it's hills footy. Ovals are going to get muddy, deal with it.

On a side note, I would have thought a lot of ovals are still under the control of the council, so it's not the clubs responsibility to pay for upgrades to the oval.

Thanks for the compliment - and yes it was tongue in cheek!

Hey - on a brighter note we still have TV to look forward to. :(
Legs Man
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy