Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Keyser Soze » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:14 pm

Down the Hill wrote:They could be talking of a SHOC and Edwardstown merger. I have no idea if the respective clubs have engaged in talks but at least one person out there has floated the idea. Colours would stay the same!!!

If, and I say if, it was to occur in the future then I presume they would affiliate with SAAFL and get to start in the Division SHOC are in at that time which is what occurs with mergers. Interesting how the juniors would be set up. Would they just play as Edwardstown in the MSJFL or try and create the SHOC link from U8 which could mean selling themselves as the club of choice for all Sacred Heart lads. This would cause big issues for clubs such as PHOS Camden, Plympton and Morphy Park and some issues for Brighton.

Sacred Heart used to be major supplier of talent to edwardstown about 10 or so years ago, names such as Adam and Hamish Hartlett, Jordan Russell and co plus some other SANFL players cut there teeth at the towns juniors. This has dropped off in recent years as other clubs claim the talent (and yes DTH that includes Brighton).

Things must be going bad for a footy mad person like Porter to resign (he didn't resign from Maccy when they were going alot worst). The division of juniors and seniors must have caused issues and my understand is they couldn't field an under 16's this year for the 1st time ever.

I'm not sure how a towns/SHOC merger would get additional junior players as kids are in under 12's by the time they start at SHC. A proud club with great history, some big decisions pending?
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:34 pm

shoe boy wrote:
Blaze of Glory wrote:I wonder if we would be having this conversation if the league didn't issue extra points to the shoes?

Reynella by 3 goals

Here we go again !
no where near some other clubs allocation but for the record 5 extra over our allocation which equates to 1 player .

More like two players, not AFL standard Shoeboy? I don't think anyone has an issue with Noarlunga, they have recruited well and used the rules to there advantage. The issue of is with the SFL and CFL for allowing a team that played finals in A's and B's last season to garner extra points above teams which finished well below them last season. The Echunga experiment last year in the HFL where they were given extra points and went through the season undefeated premiers left a sour taste for many?

Having seen both sides this season I favour the flies at home in the mud however come Sept on the bigger oval at South Adelaide the running power and speed of the shoes might trouble them.

Also a showdown of the two best forwards in the comp - Caudle (56 goals) v McEntee (44 goals) both played league footy in there prime and both great shots for goal.
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:18 am

as you wood wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
Broken Down Hack wrote:Mitchell Park/ Flinders Uni ..... some talk down the hill, doubt it will happen

They are already half-way there

I believe Towns are talking merging with SHC more will be known shortly

B Grade coach has taken on role in place of Porter, could he be the person that leads the push back to SAAFL time will tell :evil:

why would shocs merge with anyone???? i find this hard to believe...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:20 am

Dutchy wrote:Where do SHOC currently play their home games? Remember playing them once 20 years ago at the school but reckon that was during school holidays.

majority of games are at the senior school... awesome oval
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:07 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
as you wood wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
Broken Down Hack wrote:Mitchell Park/ Flinders Uni ..... some talk down the hill, doubt it will happen

They are already half-way there

I believe Towns are talking merging with SHC more will be known shortly

B Grade coach has taken on role in place of Porter, could he be the person that leads the push back to SAAFL time will tell :evil:

why would shocs merge with anyone???? i find this hard to believe...

No clubrooms, only play on a school oval?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:09 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:No clubrooms, only play on a school oval?

Best in the league i reckon
They have the Bay hotel motel which they go to for presso's and what not. They seem to have a good set up there. I coould be wrong,it would be good if someone from shocs could mention.
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby vics01 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:11 am

Only during school holidays.. As school boy footy has precedence.. Play games away until school holidays. Great family atmosphere going to a pub
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:18 am

vics01 wrote:Only during school holidays.. As school boy footy has precedence.. Play games away until school holidays. Great family atmosphere going to a pub

i'd rather take my kids to a pub then edwardstown ;)
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:22 am

vics01 wrote:Only during school holidays.. As school boy footy has precedence.. Play games away until school holidays. Great family atmosphere going to a pub

ahhh, i knew they played some games at the middle school but i thought it was a bit more regular at the senior school
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:42 am

More like two players, not AFL standard Shoeboy? I don't think anyone has an issue with Noarlunga, they have recruited well and used the rules to there advantage. The issue of is with the SFL and CFL for allowing a team that played finals in A's and B's last season to garner extra points above teams which finished well below them last season. The Echunga experiment last year in the HFL where they were given extra points and went through the season undefeated premiers left a sour taste for many?

Having seen both sides this season I favour the flies at home in the mud however come Sept on the bigger oval at South Adelaide the running power and speed of the shoes might trouble them.

Also a showdown of the two best forwards in the comp - Caudle (56 goals) v McEntee (44 goals) both played league footy in there prime and both great shots for goal.[/quote]

AFL EX PLAYER IS 5 POINTS A GRADE PLAYER IN SFL GSFL HFL DIV 1 SAAFL ALL 3 POINTS!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:01 am

RFC 2010 wrote:
shoe boy wrote:
Blaze of Glory wrote:I wonder if we would be having this conversation if the league didn't issue extra points to the shoes?

Reynella by 3 goals

Here we go again !
no where near some other clubs allocation but for the record 5 extra over our allocation which equates to 1 player .

Shoe Boy, are the rumours true that Mitton and co went on a stealth mission to Reynella oval today and came up with the laughable suggestion that it is unsafe to play on? I hear a call was placed to the SFL demanding that the game be moved to Noarlunga. Sneaky, sneaky!

Under the JIT insurance doc GROUND REPORT their is a duty of care for a safe surface to be played on and after an inspection yesterday afternoon this oval just doesn't cut it.

I believe the SFL excecutive inspected the oval last night and we wait there response and instructions as NFC have offered all facilities of the Shoe oval or even a change to Hackham oval.

The SAAFL have banned the use of 3 ovals over the past 3 weeks for this same reason.

That said we would glady play Reynella on mars the simpson desert or the south pole as long as our members safety is considered.
Just remember we are experts when it comes to GRASS COVER ;)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 am

shoe boy wrote:
RFC 2010 wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Reynella by 3 goals

Here we go again !

Shoe Boy, are the rumours true that Mitton and co went on a stealth mission to Reynella oval today and came up with the laughable suggestion that it is unsafe to play on? I hear a call was placed to the SFL demanding that the game be moved to Noarlunga. Sneaky, sneaky!

Under the JIT insurance doc GROUND REPORT their is a duty of care for a safe surface to be played on and after an inspection yesterday afternoon this oval just doesn't cut it.

I believe the SFL excecutive inspected the oval last night and we wait there response and instructions as NFC have offered all facilities of the Shoe oval or even a change to Hackham oval.

The SAAFL have banned the use of 3 ovals over the past 3 weeks for this same reason.

That said we would glady play Reynella on mars the simpson desert or the south pole as long as our members safety is considered.

which ones?
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:06 am

Glenunga FOR 1
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:07 am

shoe boy wrote:Glenunga FOR 1

the other 2?
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:11 am

Was informed of a number of ovals including Glenunga but for the record I will call SAAFL this morning to confirm for your records.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby The Hound » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:16 am

shoe boy wrote:
RFC 2010 wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Reynella by 3 goals

Here we go again !

Surely TigerPie has this in order or does he go into hibernation in winter?
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:17 am

shoe boy wrote:Was informed of a number of ovals including Glenunga but for the record I will call SAAFL this morning to confirm for your records.

you don't have to do that mate... i was just curious... Because i haven't heard of any ovals
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby zedman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:19 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:No clubrooms, only play on a school oval?

pretty sure they have a clubroom/old scholars room at the SHC middle school where the C and D grade play..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:26 am

Without entering any further debate about a merge, I can try and clear up the SHOC home ground situation. The C & D grade use the middle school for all home matches. They do have a basic facility for post match beers but that only stays open for a short time after the game. The A & B grade teams have gradually moved away from playing any home games at the middle school in the last 4 to 5 years.

They do a deal with the SAAFL that allows them to play clumped home games at the Senior School Main Oval early in the season before school footy commences and again during the July school holidays. This generally allows them to squeeze in 5 to 6 home games at the Main Oval and then they play the rest of their home games at Thebarton Oval and more recently Glenelg Oval. The latter probably assisted by having some former SH alumni now on the board at GFC. A few years ago SHOC also hired Brighton Oval on 3 or 4 few occasions across a couple of seasons. I believe SHOC also get access to a room at the Main Oval that enables them to serve drinks in a decent area in the immediate post-match period.

And WYB is correct. SHOC have used the upstairs room of the Bay Motel/Hotel as clubrooms for several years just like BHOS did in the late 80's prior to the merge with Brighton. This match day and post match set up is no different to most Old Scholar and University clubs around Australia. For clubs that don't have juniors this type of arrangement cam work fine if there is a strong relationship with the club and hotel management.

No doubt any club that encompasses junior teams would need to have a facility such as what is on offer at E'Town.

And Shoe Boy - Since when is a muddy oval unsafe? The beauty of any league are the vagaries of the ovals and the home ground advantages gained by the home team due to the unique aspects of those ovals. The location of Reynella Oval it seems to permanently sit under a dark cloud and get more rain than surrounding areas. Coupled with a turf wicket this will always make for a heavy to muddy track in July just like Brighton Oval. But it's a winter sport so one has to take the good with the bad. The SAAFL grounds you refer to I believe are based on decisions made by council not necessarily the clubs or the SAAFL. Mitcham Oval was in the same boat last year and could be one of those 3 you mention that have had issues again this year. I'm still tipping you guys this week and I'll be cheeky and suggest the margin maybe by 5 points.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby heater31 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:38 am

Think in the case of Reynella by the time the A grade rolls around it will be chopped up beyond recognition. It might be fine for the first games of the day but it will only get worse as the day wears on. This will only create a dangerous surface to play on but also ruin the spectacle of the A grade game.

With the SAAFL and Mitcham in particular, I would not be surprised that the Council is having pressure placed on them by SACA as Sturt DCC play there also. The ground was not in good shape last summer and SACA are looking to spend the increased cash flow generated by the SMA on club facilities by working with the the tenants of facilities all year round to ensure good surfaces for all sports.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL