Double header at Adelaide oval

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Double header at Adelaide oval

Postby therisingblues » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:14 pm

My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.
I would love to see SANFL at the Adelaide oval during the minor round. I'm unsure of the costs involved with using the oval, but if it was a double header involving say Sturt vs Norwood then Glenelg vs North, we'd be giving ourselves the best chance of breaking even or making a profit. In past years I would have included Port in the equation, but their supporters get to see their side play at this magnificent venue every second week,also I have never seen a top side with such a small turnout at Unley, ever, I don't think they would turn up in any case.
I'm sure there'd be good reasons against it. Loss of home gate takings being one, and the figures might be too prohibitive, but I'm sure the novelty factor of SANFL at the Adelaide oval along with our top four crowd drawing teams putting on the show could potentially pull12,000 or so through the gate. For my part I'd attend even if Sturt weren't playing, and I reckon many other neutrals would also turn up.
At the very least it deserves to be considered by the powers that be IMO.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Re: Double header at Adelaide oval

Postby PhilH » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:40 pm

ANZAC DAY next year (on a Saturday) would make the best sense. Play 1 game at 12.30pm, 2nd game 3.30pm. Of course it does come down to $ and which clubs will take the punt to lose home match canteen / bar income in the hope they get a bigger return once SMA have taken their share.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby The Panther » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:34 pm

I would go to that , even though the Panthers would never get an invite. In saying that if we ever make a GF the crowd would be huge with every Panther supporter coming out of the woodwork.

aaah I dream . A GF with 75 % Panther supporters filling The Oval. :D
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:29 pm

The Panther wrote:I would go to that , even though the Panthers would never get an invite. In saying that if we ever make a GF the crowd would be huge with every Panther supporter coming out of the woodwork.

aaah I dream . A GF with 75 % Panther supporters filling The Oval. :D

If they make a run towards the GF like Woodville in 86 it might happen!

I'm really worried about the finals last year, even when North didn't play in GFs it was always such a huge week in the SANFL in the week before the GF but this year it'll get lost many pages in to the local rag. :(
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby locky801 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:22 pm

Should go the whole hog and have 4 games there on a particular day starting around 11.30am and last game starting around 7.30pm, reckon it would be a huge winner, all 8 SANFL Clubs playing there on a particular day
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Last game starting a lot later than that . That would never happen anyway just from a turf point of view.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Pseudo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 pm

locky801 wrote:Should go the whole hog and have 4 games there on a particular day starting around 11.30am and last game starting around 7.30pm, reckon it would be a huge winner, all 8 SANFL Clubs playing there on a particular day

I like your work 8)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Tech1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:43 pm

locky801 wrote:Should go the whole hog and have 4 games there on a particular day starting around 11.30am and last game starting around 7.30pm, reckon it would be a huge winner, all 8 SANFL Clubs playing there on a particular day

Perfect, make it on the weekend where there is no AFL football here on that weekend (like this week) and the crowd would be even bigger also
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Tech1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Or if four games on one day is too many, have two double headers over that weekend
Tech1
Rookie

Postby Aerie » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:31 am

I'd like to see them try to see if there is a market for Friday night SANFL footy at Adelaide Oval. Open up the Southern Stand with the bars etc. Just have the terrace seating by the fence open on the west and east side and close the upper levels of those stands.

With Port getting same conditions as Crows, that makes an extra home game for each SANFL club next season so allocate that home game to an Adelaide Oval game, plus play one of the SANFL Showdowns at Adelaide Oval.

That makes 10 home games (same as this year), 6 away games and 2 Adelaide Oval games for each SANFL club.

It would also mean Adelaide Oval is in operation on at least 9 Friday nights throughout winter (plus whatever AFL fixtures they have).

Sell an Adelaide Oval SANFL Friday night season ticket as a thing to buy and split profits of that to the 8 SANFL clubs.

Adelaide Oval, funded by the tax payer, has rejuvenated the AFL clubs and it is mad not to see if the SANFL can ride a bit of that as well (instead of just skimming profits from the AFL clubs). One SANFL game at Adelaide Oval this year has attracted over 10,000.

It is frustrating seeing the SANFL put effort in to promoting AFL Reserves and commercial TV yet ignore opportunities like the Adelaide Oval as a way of gaining interest in the SANFL.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:51 am

Yes on a weekend of no AFL, turn it into a event. Bit like the soccer friday night make it a one off and promote it. Same as the AFL flash a members SANFL or Ade Oval one and get free public transport but not the whole hog of extra buses down King William st as the crowd ( hoping for 20,000 to 30,000 ) plus the different starting times wouldn't justify it.

In fact START the season with this one off 4 game event eg the week before the AFL starts.
SANFL teams 7th highest vs 8th then 5 v6, 3v4 and 1v2.

Have the Port v Ade game in a country town on the sunday. Thus if they need to give their players extra games if does affect the other SANFL teams if they stack their teams, could even promote the game a bit more eg Walker in Clare.
The only sticking point is a Sheffield Shield final if held in Ade and may be the weather being hot. (if it was a one off rule of having 4 or 5 on the bench )
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby the joker » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:02 am

PhilH wrote:ANZAC DAY next year (on a Saturday) would make the best sense. Play 1 game at 12.30pm, 2nd game 3.30pm. Of course it does come down to $ and which clubs will take the punt to lose home match canteen / bar income in the hope they get a bigger return once SMA have taken their share.
I don't think the Sma would want the oval ripped up by two SANFL games and one AFL game on the same weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby whufc » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:06 pm

Yep this should be Round 1 with free entry or gold coin donation which goes to a charity as the entry fee.

Each club can be allocated an outside section of the ground (ala Centrals and North get the northern end by colonels lights, South the southern end by memorial drive etc etc ) to run and promote its own activities with discounts on memberships available on the day etc etc.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mal » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:31 pm

What would the SANFL charge for a double header ?
$14
$28
$?

Concession Card holders
$8
$16
$?

As for the notion of having a Minor Round Double header
Very appealing
Good thread topic
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 890 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:53 pm

but I didn't think there was the changeroom space for more than 2 teams?

double headers would be great
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby Tech1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:02 pm

All great ideas, like it as the first game of the season on a saturday and the idea of certain sections for each club to get more members signed up early, could end up with a really big crowd if promoted, split profits between all the sanfl clubs and have the crows and power reserves play in the country on the sunday. All good idea to bring sanfl supporters together for the good of the competition, could be an awesome start to the season and something that could be done at the start of every year, hope someone from the league is taking notice of this thread, really really like these ideas!
Tech1
Rookie

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:09 pm

bring cup the pre-season cup with the double headers!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby whufc » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:19 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:but I didn't think there was the changeroom space for more than 2 teams?

double headers would be great

im sure for a day there would be a way they could come up with a way to have shared space and it would be not alot different to having reserves, league, 18's as happens at suburban grounds fairly regulary.

Would be great to see

10:00- Glenelg vs South
1:00- West vs Eagles
4:00- Centrals vs North
7:00- Norwood vs Sturt
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby spell_check » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:11 pm

If we had just the 8 'pure' SANFL teams, this could be the neutral round, the four games on the same day...though I'm not sure if the turf could hold up after four games as brought up earlier.

But then again that 8 team, 21 round comp is just my fantasy...
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:53 pm

spell_check wrote:If we had just the 8 'pure' SANFL teams, this could be the neutral round, the four games on the same day...though I'm not sure if the turf could hold up after four games as brought up earlier.

But then again that 8 team, 21 round comp is just my fantasy...

Most other ovals in the state have at least 4 games a day, im sure the pristine Adelaide Oval could handle it
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL