Collingwood 2014

Talk on the national game

Re: Collingwood 2014

Postby stan » Tue May 20, 2014 9:42 am

NO-MERCY wrote:Doesn't matter who it is, he can't be carried any longer.
When our mids went fwd in posession what did our fwds offer as far as presenting to space? sweet F.A. thats why it turned over.
When Cloke got in front he drops an easy chest mark, he leads far too wide too often, he needs to lead more in the strike zone ( corridor ) its probably why he kicks so many points.

Yeah can't agrue with this post. Yhe pies need to get some form into him, but also they need to look at the fwd structure as a whole in regards to white and witts. Witts isn't offering much buy assistance to Grundy and White just hasnt found his feet at the moment.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:00 am

Q. wrote:A lot of focus on Cloke, but how about Jesse White start having an impact.

thank you for taking him ;)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 20, 2014 12:33 pm

Well we paid our first and second rounders for two years and a million dollar fine and had our CEO suspended just so our club could stay Jesse white free

:)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Gozu » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:39 am

Collingwood have won the Mason Cox sweepstakes on a 3 year deal worth around $150k a year and if he ever plays a game will be the tallest player in AFL history at 211.4cm, just under 7 foot:

Collingwood has won the race to recruit giant American college basketball player Mason Cox.

The 211-centimetres Cox showed off his potential at an AFL combine in Los Angeles earlier this year, including a mighty jump and speed across the ground that saw him cover 20 metres in three seconds.

His talent was so marked that he had five clubs chasing his signature. The Magpieswill be looking to develop him as a potential ruckman or key position player.

Magpies list management boss Derek Hine said the Magpies were thrilled with the potential of Cox, who will sign as a category-B rookie.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... zrtdo.html
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby nuggety goodness » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:33 am

Gozu wrote:Collingwood have won the Mason Cox sweepstakes on a 3 year deal worth around $150k a year and if he ever plays a game will be the tallest player in AFL history at 211.4cm, just under 7 foot:

Collingwood has won the race to recruit giant American college basketball player Mason Cox.

The 211-centimetres Cox showed off his potential at an AFL combine in Los Angeles earlier this year, including a mighty jump and speed across the ground that saw him cover 20 metres in three seconds.

His talent was so marked that he had five clubs chasing his signature. The Magpieswill be looking to develop him as a potential ruckman or key position player.

Magpies list management boss Derek Hine said the Magpies were thrilled with the potential of Cox, who will sign as a category-B rookie.

interesting stats i saw when they interviewed him during the Geelong v North game i reckon and on paper he was a similar ilk to NicNat

from memory he topped NicNats vertical leap and was a shade off his 20m sprint time.

good on him but this is part of the reason our game is on the decline, i have nothing against the guy but he has never played the game before and during that interview they showed some footage of him and his skills were almost non existent, which is understandable considering the specific skillset required.

chances are he'll be like most of the other international rookies and never actually get a game though, or any sustained length of time in the seniors but i'm just not sold on the whole idea, time will tell though i guess
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:29 am

Yes his kicking skills are non-existent, but he has shown to be a quick learner apparently.
Collingwood can see the increase in stoppages so having a Sandilands type player is increasingly important to give the onballers first use.
Lets hope he doesnt become a walking injury, as his body is not used to physical contact AFL style. He's a soccer player so his body could be a problem, even more so than skills.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:54 am

Majak Daw 2.0
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby heater31 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:57 am

Q. wrote:Majak Daw 2.0

At least he had played the game before being placed on an AFL list.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Fricky » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:12 am

heater31 wrote:
Q. wrote:Majak Daw 2.0

At least he had played the game before being placed on an AFL list.

I would say Israel Falou 2.0
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:31 am

nuggety goodness wrote:
Gozu wrote:Collingwood have won the Mason Cox sweepstakes on a 3 year deal worth around $150k a year and if he ever plays a game will be the tallest player in AFL history at 211.4cm, just under 7 foot:

interesting stats i saw when they interviewed him during the Geelong v North game i reckon and on paper he was a similar ilk to NicNat

from memory he topped NicNats vertical leap and was a shade off his 20m sprint time.

good on him but this is part of the reason our game is on the decline, i have nothing against the guy but he has never played the game before and during that interview they showed some footage of him and his skills were almost non existent, which is understandable considering the specific skillset required.

chances are he'll be like most of the other international rookies and never actually get a game though, or any sustained length of time in the seniors but i'm just not sold on the whole idea, time will tell though i guess

dont forget dean brogan played in a premiership with the Adelaide 36ers before switching to AFL.

it can be done. plenty of others come to footy very late with basketball backgrounds and do well (tippett, ricky henderson, pendlebury (though he probably played footy too i am guessing))

not very often, but its worth a crack when someone is off the charts in their athletic ability (which folau wasn't)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:05 pm

I'm going to wait to see him cop a hit, then i'll judge his merit. He can be as quick as Bolt and as strong as a bull, but if he cant take getting hit then he's useless.
The biggest transition from soccer to footy is that peripheral vision we learn as junior footballers. A hit/tackle can come from any direction, whereas in soccer (especially as he was a keeper) you can see it coming from the front.

Brogan played junior footy.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:29 am

i tell you what, the pies are looking very shaky. I see them as the team most likely to miss the eight (probably for the crows)

the game in a couple of weeks time is probably the crunch game to decide that

what has happened to the pies though?

in the last few years they have had probably the competitions best midfield, cloke was feared, and they had a solid defence. now besides pendles their mids all look out of form, cloke is a shadow of his former self, and injuries have meant the defence looks undersized and inexperienced.

if they make the eight and win a final from here it will be a massive achievement
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:04 pm

bennymacca wrote:i tell you what, the pies are looking very shaky. I see them as the team most likely to miss the eight (probably for the crows)

the game in a couple of weeks time is probably the crunch game to decide that

what has happened to the pies though?

in the last few years they have had probably the competitions best midfield, cloke was feared, and they had a solid defence. now besides pendles their mids all look out of form, cloke is a shadow of his former self, and injuries have meant the defence looks undersized and inexperienced.

if they make the eight and win a final from here it will be a massive achievement

They have some very good players, but injuries to many of them Swan is clearly carrying at the moment. Ried hasnt fired a shot in anger at the moment on the field. It does hurt. But also some key players not having the same impact.

Maybe a little bit simple but thats the problem I guess. Really struggling without Reid down back.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Q. » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Need a better second key forward. Defence has been decimated by injuries. Ruck division is very young. Key mids are in a form slump.
Q.
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:48 pm

Q. wrote:Need a better second key forward. Defence has been decimated by injuries. Ruck division is very young. Key mids are in a form slump.

yeah agreed, what would they give to have dawes back haha.

at least he would have given grundy or witts a chop out whereas white cant do that as well.

i think they have relied on grundy a little too early in his development, and you can see from this year that he still needs more development.

ceglar would have been nice now too.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:57 pm

Q.
Coach

Postby Johno6 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:54 am

Has Jesse White ever taken a mark?
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:32 pm

It quite funny how people think they can just come up and sledge you, when you've never met them - all because they've heard you're a Pies supporter.

Pretty much got the result I expected yesterday.
Our inexperienced and struggling side was never going to pinch that.
Elliot needs to start asserting himself on the game more, White needs to mark more often.
Pendlebury, Beams and Sidebottom had good games, without being dominant.
Cloke was fantastic.
Decision-making and movement from defence was hit and miss for much of the game.
Now the Crows are premiership favourites.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:40 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:It quite funny how people think they can just come up and sledge you, when you've never met them - all because they've heard you're a Pies supporter.

Elliot needs to start asserting himself on the game more, White needs to mark more often.
Cloke was fantastic.
Decision-making and movement from defence was hit and miss for much of the game.

The Pies did pretty well yesterday I thought. That was a severly understrength side. The Crows had Thompson out but apart from that they were in good nick. They overused the ball something shocking and did everything they could to throw the game away. Sanderson's brilliant move of subbing Wright when they were top heavy was a beauty. Lynch cost the Cows at least two goals in that last quarter he is a spud of epic proportions.

Play more kids. You'll get a better draft pick and the Crows will get smashed in week one of the finals. Not direct enough.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Ron Burgundy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:45 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:It quite funny how people think they can just come up and sledge you, when you've never met them - all because they've heard you're a Pies supporter.

Cloke was fantastic.

Really good post. Until the last comment.
I thought Cloke played really well, could have got a few more frees too.
Thought Beams played the best out of the listed three.
Neither team are world beaters, Collingwood are really down at the moment, and Adelaide should have really put them to the Sword.
But didn't. Because in reality as a complete unit Adelaide aren't that good.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL