SANFL invitees to AFL Draft Combine

All discussions to do with the SANFL

SANFL invitees to AFL Draft Combine

Postby Big Phil » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:57 pm

Some classy players amongst the list of SANFL based players invited out...

SOUTH AUSTRALIA:

Peter Bampton Norwood
Caleb Daniel South Adelaide
Sam Durdin West Adelaide
Brett Eddy South Adelaide
Josh Glenn Central District
Dean Gore Sturt
Cory Gregson Glenelg
Declan Hamilton Port Adelaide
Oleg Markov North Adelaide
Alex Neal-Bullen Glenelg
Keenan Ramsey Port Adelaide
Tom Read Sturt
James Rose Sturt
Billy Stretch Glenelg
Harrison Wigg North Adelaide

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-28/h ... ern-talent

Western Australia has had 12 players picked to attend the combine, while South Australia, which won the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships title, will have 15 players present.

That will include Central Districts midfielder Josh Glenn, who was last year invited to test at the screening but declined his invitation and opted to pull out of the draft.

A year on, Glenn is still on the radar of recruiters having won enough votes from interested clubs to come to the national combine
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Re: SANFL invitees to AFL Draft Combine

Postby SimonH » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 pm

The national champ SA 2014 U/18 team was definitely a champion team rather than a team of champions. 28 Vic Metro and 16 Vic Country players invited to draft combine, while it's a maximum of 12 South Aussies who played in the U/18 champs. Out of the above list, Bampton was injured and so missed the champs, with Glenn & Eddy obviously being over-aged.

Great to see that a number of clubs are seriously considering Caleb Daniel. It might just be that simply being a really good football player, rather than merely being 200cm and able to run 100 metres in less than 11 seconds, is still enough to get you an AFL career.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby PhilH » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:18 am

Due to earlier SANFL GF they can all go rather then those involved on GF day having to take part in a separate screening,
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby GWW » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:46 pm

I think Eddy is an almost certainty to be taken with a late selection, or more likely as a rookie, and a good chance to go to either Port or the Crows if they get the chance.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby SANFLnut » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:23 pm

28 invitees from Vic metro vs 12 of our kids. Despite many of our Under 18s playing senior footy against older bodies. AFL has certainly not lost its Vic-centric obsession yet.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:38 pm

GWW wrote:I think Eddy is an almost certainty to be taken with a late selection, or more likely as a rookie, and a good chance to go to either Port or the Crows if they get the chance.

I’m not so sure about Eddy getting drafted. While I reckon is an extremely good SANFL player I don’t reckon he will be able make the jump to the next level. He doesn’t appear to be big enough to become that ‘power forward’ that teams look for in their key position players. Furthermore, while he isn’t slow, he doesn’t have the blistering pace and mobility that is also highly in demand.

If he did get drafted I agree it would probably be Crows or Port in the rookie draft.

FWIW I'm surprised that Von Bertouch didn't get selected. He is probably the only Eagle likely to get drafted from us this year.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby SANFLnut » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Has the state screening list been published?
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:09 pm

SANFLnut wrote:28 invitees from Vic metro vs 12 of our kids. Despite many of our Under 18s playing senior footy against older bodies. AFL has certainly not lost its Vic-centric obsession yet.

Nothing to do with Melb having nearly 4 times the population of Adelaide :roll:
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Rising Power » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:18 pm

No invite for Jake Johansen despite making the AA team?
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Being good mates with the parents of Keenan Ramsey, his is a great story, and he's a great kid as well.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6921385950
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby David Brent » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
GWW wrote:I think Eddy is an almost certainty to be taken with a late selection, or more likely as a rookie, and a good chance to go to either Port or the Crows if they get the chance.

I’m not so sure about Eddy getting drafted. While I reckon is an extremely good SANFL player I don’t reckon he will be able make the jump to the next level. He doesn’t appear to be big enough to become that ‘power forward’ that teams look for in their key position players. Furthermore, while he isn’t slow, he doesn’t have the blistering pace and mobility that is also highly in demand.

If he did get drafted I agree it would probably be Crows or Port in the rookie draft.

FWIW I'm surprised that Von Bertouch didn't get selected. He is probably the only Eagle likely to get drafted from us this year.

Surely he will get a gig at the state screening they usually have? Should get another gig at AFL level at least on a Rookie List
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:47 am

SANFLnut wrote:28 invitees from Vic metro vs 12 of our kids. Despite many of our Under 18s playing senior footy against older bodies. AFL has certainly not lost its Vic-centric obsession yet.

Good
I'd rather see the talent playing in the SANFL than being lost to the dark side
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Rising Power » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:43 pm

johntheclaret wrote:

Good
I'd rather see the talent playing in the SANFL than being lost to the dark side

I agree, would hate to see them playing country footy.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Board index   Football  SANFL