Round 14 - Port v Adelaide @ Alberton Oval (Sat 26/7)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 14 - Port v Adelaide @ Alberton Oval (Sat 26/7)

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:40 pm

i would be more worried that sanfl members arent going than the crows and power "only" getting double the crowd for their games.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:42 pm

bennymacca wrote: i would be more worried that sanfl members arent going than the crows and power "only" getting double the crowd for their games.

Oh, really, they aren't? I wonder why.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby cennals05 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:44 pm

Booney wrote:By that, you assume all members go to all games?

Norwood currently have 3111 ( according to norwoodfc.com.au ) Sturt have 3415 ( sturtfc.com.au )

So should they have 6500+ at their games? You know it doesn't work that way.

I'm not saying that. Benny asked what member numbers were for two SANFL clubs in regards to the crowds they pull. I was giving an average at SANFL level. Of course not all members go. I don't expect all members to go to AFL matches either.

I don't think there would be much discussion on crowds at AFL reserves games if the Crows hadn't come out and said they expect 4000 at every game. They once again set themselves up for failure. Something the Administration at the Crows has been pretty good at over the past couple of years.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:53 pm

cennals05 wrote:

Norwood currently have 3111 ( according to norwoodfc.com.au ) Sturt have 3415 ( sturtfc.com.au )

I'm not saying that. Benny asked what member numbers were for two SANFL clubs in regards to the crowds they pull. I was giving an average at SANFL level. Of course not all members go. I don't expect all members to go to AFL matches either.

I don't think there would be much discussion on crowds at AFL reserves games if the Crows hadn't come out and said they expect 4000 at every game. They once again set themselves up for failure. Something the Administration at the Crows has been pretty good at over the past couple of years.

I don't think it was their mistake in saying this, it was the people who believed it that got it wrong the most.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby cennals05 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:18 pm

Booney wrote:
cennals05 wrote:

I don't think it was their mistake in saying this, it was the people who believed it that got it wrong the most.

True. I think SANFL supporters knew that once the novelty wore off the crowds would too. I find it hard to believe that the Presidents could be that stupid to believe it.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:20 pm

if they were talking about total average crowd, rather than their contribution, then they are not far off are they?

still havent seen anyone give me a quote so i can decide the context in which the 4k number was thrown up, happy to be corrected if it was supposed to be 4k extra or total
bennymacca
Coach

Postby twosheds » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:21 pm

bennymacca wrote:
twosheds wrote:what's the crowd been like this year at elizabeth??? anywhere near 6k?

Nope not even close, but then we don't have 50,000 plus members. You seem a little touchy,whats wrong ?

so are you saying that norwood and sturt dont have more than 3k (or whatever it is) members between them???[/quote]

In a word - No.
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Norwood v Sturt probably average around 4000? That's about 60% of their members.

Should have been 60,000 at Alberton?
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Rising Power » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:31 pm

bennymacca wrote:if they were talking about total average crowd, rather than their contribution, then they are not far off are they?

still havent seen anyone give me a quote so i can decide the context in which the 4k number was thrown up, happy to be corrected if it was supposed to be 4k extra or total

Apparently Rob Chapman mentioned 4000 a few times (initially as additional fans, then as average attendance) but then there's this article from the Advertiser (whether it's true or not is anybody's guess):
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6886990344

The Advertiser has gained a copy of the Crows’ submission made to the SANFL club presidents and chief executive officers last year and there is no 4000 figure in the presentation made in July.

Rather, it suggests 3000 is the realistic crowd for SANFL games featuring the Crows.

The paper reads: “Attendances are difficult to predict. However, if our season ticketholders (24,000) had access to the (SANFL) games, we believe that at least one in 20 would attend our games.

“Based on this realistically we believe that crowds at these games would average 3000 which is similar to current SANFL crowd averages.”
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:49 pm

so at least by that article i would think they are doing ok.

obviously it might not continue etc etc
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:49 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:

Norwood v Sturt probably average around 4000? That's about 60% of their members.

Should have been 60,000 at Alberton?

Yes, I've just argued against that theory, I shall now agree with it. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby dedja » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:03 pm

What percentage of cats and dogs should we expect to Eagles matches then?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby kingrooster » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:25 pm

dedja wrote:What percentage of cats and dogs should we expect to Eagles matches then?

Cue Phil Herden. "We do not or have ever had pet memberships".
kingrooster
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby sjt » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Rising Power wrote:
sjt wrote:
Rising Power wrote:
twosheds wrote:
So 400 AFC fans means there was only 5700 Port fans there, that is a joke too. Where are the rest of them ?

At home watching the game on Ch 7 and being exposed to adverts, which in turn helps your club.

How?
Is the sanfl going to make $1mill from it, and distribute amongst the clubs? Or are the professional clubs that dominate the telecasts going to contribute more to the financial cost? Did the sponsors that were going to pay for the commercial broadcast ever materialise?

I'm assuming there is an even distribution to each of the SANFL clubs, plus clubs and their sponsors taking it upon themselves to buy spots during their telecasts. Otherwise what's the point of having it on TV at all? I've noticed Centrals have been plugging away on late night TV, maybe they should've saved their pennies and bought only one or two spots during the SANFL games? I don't know what these things cost, but it's a just an idea.

I'm not sure you're serious. Even distribution of what? The sanfl is paying a fortune to have it on seven. Still can't see how those dollars are benefiting the clubs.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby matt35 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:07 am

Crows will comfortably achieve what they presented according to that Advertiser article in 2014. Not only that, but I suspect they will continue to achieve an average of roughly 3 thousand to their games in to the future. The way the model has been set up, with Crows season ticket holders gaining free entry, encourages Crows supporters to attend games involving their SANFL club. We always have to keep in mind the distinction between the Crows and Port. Many Crows supporters already support an SANFL club, even if they do not attend games, they still take an interest in an SANFL club. I think the explanation for the mostly healthy crowds at Crows SANFL games, is not novelty as some on here would like to believe, but rather that Crows supporters are taking advantage of the opportunity to gain free entry to watch their SANFL club, as well as having a look at the Crows SANFL team. One would hope this means money being spent on food and drink, raffle tickets etc that goes back in to the SANFL clubs.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:15 am

matt35 wrote:Crows will comfortably achieve what they presented according to that Advertiser article in 2014. Not only that, but I suspect they will continue to achieve an average of roughly 3 thousand to their games in to the future. The way the model has been set up, with Crows season ticket holders gaining free entry, encourages Crows supporters to attend games involving their SANFL club. We always have to keep in mind the distinction between the Crows and Port. Many Crows supporters already support an SANFL club, even if they do not attend games, they still take an interest in an SANFL club. I think the explanation for the mostly healthy crowds at Crows SANFL games, is not novelty as some on here would like to believe, but rather that Crows supporters are taking advantage of the opportunity to gain free entry to watch their SANFL club, as well as having a look at the Crows SANFL team. One would hope this means money being spent on food and drink, raffle tickets etc that goes back in to the SANFL clubs.

good post. this is what i did, and probably wouldnt have gone otherwise. had quite a few beers on the hill too haha
bennymacca
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:49 am

twosheds wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:you people be happy if 10k showed up??? would that be a acceptable number or what a bout 50k???? Alberton packed to the rafters!!! people unable to get in...

Its not about what "you people" think is acceptable . Its merely amusing that out of so many members and so called supporters only 6100 turned up.
You seem upset at us people having an opinion. Relax.

upset??? far from it...

i reckon 6k to a local footy game is a good thing, much better then 1k or maybe 2k which pretty much all the other clubs get...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby twosheds » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:42 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
twosheds wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:you people be happy if 10k showed up??? would that be a acceptable number or what a bout 50k???? Alberton packed to the rafters!!! people unable to get in...

Its not about what "you people" think is acceptable . Its merely amusing that out of so many members and so called supporters only 6100 turned up.
You seem upset at us people having an opinion. Relax.

upset??? far from it...

i reckon 6k to a local footy game is a good thing, much better then 1k or maybe 2k which pretty much all the other clubs get...

You really love your multiple question marks and exclamation marks don't you ? That's what makes it appear you are upset :roll:
How long do you think one or two games a season will get 6k plus.
As stated I find it amusing when you hear so many people out and about,on the radio etc who are all "passionate" fans of these two clubs that ONLY 6100 turn up. Where are all the rest given they are SO passionate. Gee perhaps they don't give a flying ---- about their reserves team; who would have thought it ?
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL