The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby mal » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:10 pm

Not much has changed on this thread ](*,)

MOST posters who defend Port RESERVES are MOSTLY Port Adelaide barrackers of that team that existed 1870-2013
I have no problem with that, they need a team to barrack for
But for SOME to MOST other barrackers of the other 8 genuine SANFL clubs, they MOSTLY scrutinize Port RESERVES

At least Adelaide Reserves have a clear and concise identity , that being a reserves side of the AFL team
Port people need to adapt that same concept

I have nothing against the 1870-2013 Port Adelaide
They were for the most part a magnificent proud club , a club I could envy but also respect =D>

In my opinion the Port Reserves side should not be allowed to wear the 1914 guernsey of another club
Anyone else can think what they like
Last edited by mal on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:13 pm

mal they can claim their heritage in the same way the eagles can claim the heritage of both woodville and torrens. they are a different club now, but it doesnt change where they came from.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mal » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:20 pm

If Adelaide Reserves are the reserves B grade team of the AFL team , what is Port Reserves ?

My answer Port is the reserves B grade of the AFL team as well

In my eyes they are both B grade AFL teams in the SANFL
mal
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:29 pm

mal wrote:If Adelaide Reserves are the reserves B grade team of the AFL team , what is Port Reserves ?

My answer Port is the reserves B grade of the AFL team as well

In my eyes they are both B grade AFL teams in the SANFL

yes i agree but that doesnt mean they cant claim all of their previous history.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:44 pm

While the structure of the club and it's SANFL team has changed occasionally in recent years, it's still the same Port Adelaide Football Club that has put a team in the SANFL since the comp started.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby mal » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:46 pm

Benny, Rusty its all in a name
Here is an article from the 1965 publication:
South Australia Football The Past And The Present

* For 14 years North Division [ North Adelaide Football Club] play some few score games against South Division [South Adelaide Football Club] the first of these games played on the North Parklands in May 1960.*

This is not actually the North Adelaide we know today in a publication
Its was another team that has been named North Adelaide
North Adelaide is acknowledged as being a South Australian football club from 1893 onwards

Try and tell North Adelaide historians that the 1860 and 1893 clubs are the same, and you might get shot down
The only similarity is the name North Adelaide

Port Reserves / Port Power is now 1 AFL club , who are using the Port name , that is the only similarity
There is no other Port Adelaide in existance
mal
Coach

Postby RB » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:48 pm

In reply to RC, that's what the Power hierarchy are hoping people will think, but I think many will feel that the reserves nature of the team somewhat changes that.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:59 pm

RustyCage wrote:While the structure of the club and it's SANFL team has changed occasionally in recent years, it's still the same Port Adelaide Football Club that has put a team in the SANFL since the comp started.

Keep telling yourself that!!
It's not the same........whilst I wish it was it just isn't.

Everything they do is second fiddle to Big Brother............the real Port Magpies I grew up with play second fiddle to no one.
And they earnt everyone of their premierships........they weren't given them as will be the case if they win this year.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby dedja » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:50 pm

Faarking wharfies ... fatherless, no teeth, welfare scum.

Thread back on track 8)
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:55 pm

dedja wrote:Faarking wharfies ... fatherless, no teeth, welfare scum.

Thread back on track 8)

And thats just the women ;)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby dedja » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:07 pm

:lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:55 pm

A bit of an insight given during James Gowans speech at the Hall of Fame night about how he came to play SANFL. They did have a rookie contract at St Kilda for 2000, but only being paid $12k, they were better off coming to SA and playing SANFL, so they did. Every rookie listed Port and Crows player would be on more than the highest paid SANFL players these days. That is with an extra two AFL teams as well - i.e. it is easier to get on an AFL list now.

Not really a whinge or argument whether it is better now or then, but an example of why the SANFL is struggling to maintain its stance with AFL going from strength to strength and leaving the rest behind.

I'm sure both Gowans and many other very good SANFL players of the early to mid 2000's would be on AFL lists now if their careers began 15 years later.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:16 am

very good post.

i guess that is just a sign of the increasing professionalism of the AFL.

another factor is that big coin can quite often be in the country these days too. where the time pressures are much less and you could get paid more than playing league.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Aerie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:36 am

bennymacca wrote:very good post.

i guess that is just a sign of the increasing professionalism of the AFL.

another factor is that big coin can quite often be in the country these days too. where the time pressures are much less and you could get paid more than playing league.

I reckon the country factor probably chips away at the depth a little bit and especially brings down the standard of Reserves footy. Not so much the top level footballers.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Rising Power » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:10 pm

mal wrote:Not much has changed on this thread ](*,)

MOST posters who defend Port RESERVES are MOSTLY Port Adelaide barrackers of that team that existed 1870-2013
I have no problem with that, they need a team to barrack for
But for SOME to MOST other barrackers of the other 8 genuine SANFL clubs, they MOSTLY scrutinize Port RESERVES

At least Adelaide Reserves have a clear and concise identity , that being a reserves side of the AFL team

I have nothing against the 1870-2013 Port Adelaide
They were for the most part a magnificent proud club , a club I could envy but also respect =D>

In my opinion the Port Reserves side should not be allowed to wear the 1914 guernsey of another club

This is the most important part. Port have every right to wear the 1914 Guernsey because it's the one and the same club since 1870. That's what I THINK, and I LIKE it.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby SimonH » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:55 pm

Aerie wrote:A bit of an insight given during James Gowans speech at the Hall of Fame night about how he came to play SANFL. They did have a rookie contract at St Kilda for 2000, but only being paid $12k, they were better off coming to SA and playing SANFL, so they did. Every rookie listed Port and Crows player would be on more than the highest paid SANFL players these days. That is with an extra two AFL teams as well - i.e. it is easier to get on an AFL list now.

Not really a whinge or argument whether it is better now or then, but an example of why the SANFL is struggling to maintain its stance with AFL going from strength to strength and leaving the rest behind.

I'm sure both Gowans and many other very good SANFL players of the early to mid 2000's would be on AFL lists now if their careers began 15 years later.
Rookie listed players in 2014 are on $53,825 (warning: long PDF; it's on page 68). There are two players contracted to play entirely in the SANFL who would be on more than that: Henry Slattery and Ian Callinan. Surprise, surprise: their wages are both paid out of the kitty of an AFL club. (The rules don't appear to prevent the AFL reserves club's 'leadership player' getting paid $1 million a year if the club feels like paying it.) Unless Glenelg pays its assistant coaches unusually well (i.e. Mitch Thorp), presumably there are no others who get paid more than the AFL rookie wage for playing SANFL.

He who has the gold makes the rules, and over the last 30 years, the VFL/AFL has gone from having maybe 60% of the footy-related gold in Australia, to 95% plus. I think most fans are acclimatised to the idea that we'll never see new Super Carey/ Garry McIntoshes (i.e. elite players who play their whole career in the SANFL) again. But it's sad to think that there's a good chance that structural changes to footy mean we'll increasingly rarely see new Gowans brothers (top-level state players who start playing SANFL relatively early in their career and stay for 200+ games) again either.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:02 pm

mal wrote:

One or the other? You pick...
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby mal » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:05 pm

Booney wrote:
mal wrote:

One or the other? You pick...

Rising Power sums it up
Its up to the individual to think what they think on this matter

One thing I will add
I much prefer the pre 2014 Port to the current model
mal
Coach

Postby Maddawg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:09 pm

SimonH wrote:
Aerie wrote:A bit of an insight given during James Gowans speech at the Hall of Fame night about how he came to play SANFL. They did have a rookie contract at St Kilda for 2000, but only being paid $12k, they were better off coming to SA and playing SANFL, so they did. Every rookie listed Port and Crows player would be on more than the highest paid SANFL players these days. That is with an extra two AFL teams as well - i.e. it is easier to get on an AFL list now.

Rookie listed players in 2014 are on $53,825 (warning: long PDF; it's on page 68). There are two players contracted to play entirely in the SANFL who would be on more than that: Henry Slattery and Ian Callinan. Surprise, surprise: their wages are both paid out of the kitty of an AFL club. (The rules don't appear to prevent the AFL reserves club's 'leadership player' getting paid $1 million a year if the club feels like paying it.) Unless Glenelg pays its assistant coaches unusually well (i.e. Mitch Thorp), presumably there are no others who get paid more than the AFL rookie wage for playing SANFL.

He who has the gold makes the rules, and over the last 30 years, the VFL/AFL has gone from having maybe 60% of the footy-related gold in Australia, to 95% plus. I think most fans are acclimatised to the idea that we'll never see new Super Carey/ Garry McIntoshes (i.e. elite players who play their whole career in the SANFL) again. But it's sad to think that there's a good chance that structural changes to footy mean we'll increasingly rarely see new Gowans brothers (top-level state players who start playing SANFL relatively early in their career and stay for 200+ games) again either.

With the rookie wage of $53k that is a base salary surely the players would get a weekley payment for playing on top of this, if so what figure would that be, reading that page 68 surely it wouldnt be the senior match payment of $2980 although they are playing senior football just not at AFL level?
Maddawg
Mini-League

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:12 pm

Its no different to religion, if people want to believe in fairy stories they're allowed too.
Theyre still ignorant fools and wrong but that's their right.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL