Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:03 am

DTH I wasn't referring to Ty or Alleyway, rather a couple of Reserves players who returned to their junior/grassroots clubs.
As I said in my original post, I was not saying Sam's decision was based on payment.
I haven't specifically asked him how he made his final decision. I just knew it was not a quick or easy decision for him
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby heater31 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:21 am

Dutchy wrote:Id he definately back for the rest of the season? I was told it was because of Sturt's bye?

But the reserves still played for points on the weekend..... I heard the rumour floating around the small crowd at Unley on Saturday
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby MatteeG » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:51 am

Down the Hill wrote:
You say it happened at the Bay but wasn't that just Allen and Alleway resuming from injury and suspension when the Bays had a Bye with them playing at MP and Ironbank respectively, but both are back playing at the Bays after just 1 game at those clubs. From what you and Norwood 8 are saying is that he has turned his back on Sturt and headed back to BushPig Park for not very big $$$. Then again maybe he does get paid "peanuts".

Johncock played league for the Bays this year DTH and then lined up for the shoes a couple of weeks later...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times

Postby MatteeG » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 am

Luke15 wrote:
Valley look like they are coming good too at the right time of the year. I also saw a certain S Smith play for Flaggies yesterday, kick 5 goals and get named best on. Bit bizarre he was playing in Sturts league side only 2 weeks ago. MatteeG any knowledge on this??

First I knew about it was reading the Sunday Mail Lukey. I initially thought along the lines of Dutchy that it may only be for 1 week.

Be a really good inclusion at this stage of the year.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Postby tigerpie » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:03 pm

All over it Hound.
Whingers gotta whinge about something! Its a winter sport.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:22 pm

Question for HV people, the tree in the BMX club pocket hangs inside the boundary, surely the ball hits this during the games there? Is this tree heritage listed or something that it cannot be cut back?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby afc9798 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:31 am

Dutchy wrote:Question for HV people, the tree in the BMX club pocket hangs inside the boundary, surely the ball hits this during the games there? Is this tree heritage listed or something that it cannot be cut back?

Can't answer that one specifically, but I do believe that the trees surrounding are all considered under council to be 'significant trees' due to their circumference. Doesn't mean that they can't be trimmed though. Can't recall having ever had a ball hit the tree during a game whilst in play or ever influenced a kick etc.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Archer11 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:48 am

I would have thought that the tree at the Morphettville park oval is far worse than that one at Happy Valley. I have seen plenty of footys hit that tree!!
Archer11

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby jet-airport » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:46 pm

Archer11 wrote:I would have thought that the tree at the Morphettville park oval is far worse than that one at Happy Valley. I have seen plenty of footys hit that tree!!

Last visit to the Pastie I saw a lad have a kick from the clubroom side pocket on the boundary that flicked the tree and went through for a goal...... Surely a 1 hour job to prune it i would of thought.

Valleys tree not over the ground but it does catch a few footy's at trainings and sub juniors especially!!

Finals footy not far away........ any thoughts/ predictions??
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Courtney Fish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:51 pm

jet-airport wrote:
Archer11 wrote:I would have thought that the tree at the Morphettville park oval is far worse than that one at Happy Valley. I have seen plenty of footys hit that tree!!

Last visit to the Pastie I saw a lad have a kick from the clubroom side pocket on the boundary that flicked the tree and went through for a goal...... Surely a 1 hour job to prune it i would of thought.

Valleys tree not over the ground but it does catch a few footy's at trainings and sub juniors especially!!

Finals footy not far away........ any thoughts/ predictions??

Grand Final day. Record gate takings, no crowd violence or underage drunks. Some people will drift off after their club team/s have finished, some in protest at GF location, then people will call for it to be played at Porties due to lack of atmosphere. There's my prediction.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby vics01 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:48 pm

Edwardstown Football Club

What has been become of this once great club?? It would appear that they have become a bunch of SOOKS.

In the game against Hackham a fortnight ago a bit of a Ruckus happens the UMPIRE yellow cards a player from Hackham for as he described it ATTEMPTING to Strike. The Edwardstown leader not happy with this wants to take it further and asks his club to lodge a club report for striking.

So off to the tribunal everybody heads.. Poor little Edwardstown leader breaks down sobbing at how this affected him.. Result 2 weeks suspension for the Hackham player.

When you start to throw stones in incidents like this you really want to be forever well behaved as a club and playing group eventually you will be bitten on the butt!!

Maybe Edwardstown should combine with Sacred Heart then they could all be little boys playing together away from the real men of football.

Did the said leader suffer?? No played on and played again the next week..

Must have been pretty serious!!

One can imagine all the little perceived biffs and bumps that could be reported in a game if we all head down this track there would be nobody left to play after some games..

Just a sign of the times and society we are living in SPINELESS at times
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Straight Line » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:11 pm

It was on the report as engaging in rough play not attempting to strike.......the tribunal then read a stat dec from an edwardstown witness before the hearing and then told everybody they cant use it as evedence :roll: ................If Hackham appeal it will get thrown out on a technicality....
Straight Line
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:59 pm

vics01 wrote:Edwardstown Football Club

What has been become of this once great club?? It would appear that they have become a bunch of SOOKS.

In the game against Hackham a fortnight ago a bit of a Ruckus happens the UMPIRE yellow cards a player from Hackham for as he described it ATTEMPTING to Strike. The Edwardstown leader not happy with this wants to take it further and asks his club to lodge a club report for striking.

So off to the tribunal everybody heads.. Poor little Edwardstown leader breaks down sobbing at how this affected him.. Result 2 weeks suspension for the Hackham player.

When you start to throw stones in incidents like this you really want to be forever well behaved as a club and playing group eventually you will be bitten on the butt!!

Maybe Edwardstown should combine with Sacred Heart then they could all be little boys playing together away from the real men of football.

One can imagine all the little perceived biffs and bumps that could be reported in a game if we all head down this track there would be nobody left to play after some games..

I would have thought striking or attempting to strike people in sports that is not boxing or martial arts is spineless
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby vics01 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:17 pm

Amusing comment from Christies beach? or any other club for that matter? Every game has similar incidents of push shove push shove chest beating.. maybe we should start reporting all of these certainly keep the old fellas at SFL house occupied..
Last edited by vics01 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vics01
Reserves

Postby Dazza44 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:16 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:It is sad, it was a great competition, but clubs like Flagstaff Hill and those in the Hills and South-East are just helping along the process that will happen anyway. Players like Smith will have no place in the SANFL in a few years time, they will be more valued at those clubs.

Interesting comment LGIL (I could have said laughable ... at least I got a laugh from it !).

So what you are saying is that if one of your young Saints who has been listed at a SANFL club approached your club and said he wanted to return and play for Christies, you would tell him "No, you can't come back and play for us lest we cause the demise of the SANFL". I don't think so - you would welcome him back with open arms as Flaggies have done with Sam. (in fact I would have thought that had happened at some stage with Christies)

Different story where clubs have actively sought out fringe SANFL players with no association with their club and lured them to leave the SANFL with buckets of $$$$ I think all at Flaggies can sleep well at night in the knowledge that we have not single-handedly destroyed the grand competition that is the SANFL :D
Dazza44
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:41 am

vics01 wrote:Amusing comment from Christies beach?? Every game has similar incidents of push shove push shove chest beating.. maybe we should start reporting all of these certainly keep the old fellas at SFL house occupied..

Che?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:47 am

Dazza44 wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:It is sad, it was a great competition, but clubs like Flagstaff Hill and those in the Hills and South-East are just helping along the process that will happen anyway. Players like Smith will have no place in the SANFL in a few years time, they will be more valued at those clubs.

Interesting comment LGIL (I could have said laughable ... at least I got a laugh from it !).

So what you are saying is that if one of your young Saints who has been listed at a SANFL club approached your club and said he wanted to return and play for Christies, you would tell him "No, you can't come back and play for us lest we cause the demise of the SANFL". I don't think so - you would welcome him back with open arms as Flaggies have done with Sam. (in fact I would have thought that had happened at some stage with Christies)

Different story where clubs have actively sought out fringe SANFL players with no association with their club and lured them to leave the SANFL with buckets of $$$$ I think all at Flaggies can sleep well at night in the knowledge that we have not single-handedly destroyed the grand competition that is the SANFL :D

I was responding in context of the discussion that was happening around Smith, a Flagstaff Hill player and the following point of discussion from DTH:

Down the Hill wrote:But aren't Sturt a monty for finals in league and reserves. This is a guy who played league footy as recently as 28 June. Says more about the blokes character than anything else. What are your thoughts about this 85 WAGY particularly being a Falcon, but also a big supporter of the SANFL comp. Is this another nail in the coffin of the relevance and care factor surrounding the SANFL. How would you feel if half the current Glenelg league team decided to jump the sinking ship at the Bay and headed back to their local and South-East clubs to qualify for finals and earn a higher match payment than they would be getting in the SANFL. Those SANFL payments being lower because most SANFL clubs waste the majority of their salary cap on delisted AFL players who don't end up making a major difference.

You seem a little too defensive, oh and for the record, the last young Saint to leave his listed SANFL club ended up at Flaggies.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby MatteeG » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:59 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:You seem a little too defensive, oh and for the record, the last young Saint to leave his listed SANFL club ended up at Flaggies.

I was only U14s LGIL.... 8)
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Postby HardenUp » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:
vics01 wrote:Edwardstown Football Club

They are such spinless times when a players face swells up and brusing comes out from such a courageous act and espicially when jaw's are broken behind play, in consecutive weeks. Couldn't agree more in terms of sign of the times in the SFL......
HardenUp

Been liked: 0 time

Postby vics01 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:25 pm

No problem when a a jaw is broken behind play... This particular incident was not behind play. He when he played on and played again last week... Accept the umpires decision which was a send off and move on.. Not cry like a baby who lost it's rattle a fortnight after the game. Bruising is part of football Sometimes you get what you give..
vics01
Reserves

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL