SAAFL Division 8 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the Division 8 Grand FInal?

Blackwood
26%
Golden Grove
24%
Hope Valley
9%
North Haven
6%
Old Ignatians
No votes
Prince Alfred OC
12%
Payneham-Norwood Union
12%
Salisbury
3%
Tea Tree Gully
6%
Wingfield Royals
3%

Total votes : 34

Re: SAAFL Division 8 2014

Postby TEX07 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:55 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Hefty wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:The Flexers??? That wasn't last year, that would've been about 4 years ago now? Was that the GF they ended up losing too? to TTG after drawing the week before? *edit- could be (probably am) getting years mixed up*

You'd have to go back and look, the years now escape me...

Seriously though, I really don't see how this back and forth is productive in any way shape or form and quite honestly is getting boring.

GG has crack at HV for sandbagging

HV has crack at GG for choking

GG retaliates with jibe about sandbagging

and the viscious circle starts again....

yada, yada, yada

*yawn*

It is entertaining though for a boring Monday morning at work.....................sandbagger ;)

Hey! I play A grade :lol:

And in fairness we are not the only ones having a crack at HV here!
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby TEX07 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:10 pm

Hefty wrote:
S Demon wrote:The only decision our club made was to bring on a 5th side with a whole group of mates wanting to play together. If they won a few games, that would be a bonus. Their results are not from a committee decision to try and have D grade success. What there results would be was unknown in November 2013 when we deicded to run with it the side

The fact is, if we didn't get a D grade up and running, from what you have all said, our C grade would have struggled anyway if they are that bad.

The D grade coach spends thursday night, friday afternoon and saturday morning trying to get players and they've had over 50 different players. The main difference is, Bundy has the ability to pull really good footballers out of nowhere and get them to have a kick. Those blokes he gets aren't going to play C grade because we aren't going to pick someone we've never even seen before

Take Jim Morrisson as an example. He trained twice in 2012 to play A grade and did his knee at the snakepit. Never saw him again.
The D grade coach is good mates with him and has tried all year to get him to play. Eventually he talked him into it. Jim has played the last few games and is a really good player. But other than for 2 hours on a saturday, we dont see him. Should he instead be playing C grade or even B grade for us because he is good enough to? I think you know the answer. There's a lot more with similar J Morrisson stories in the D grade. Not forgetting a third of the side is either in the 37-45 years bracket

The D Grade was not put in to try and win a flag with a stacked side that you all keep alluding to. Their success from a committee point of view is measured differently to ladder position. Our sole focus is to try and win an A grade flag and keep pushing up the divisions. I would hate for Hefty to be annoyed for too much longer. Although I can understand how being the ONLY coach at GG not to beat HV this year out of all 5 grades would be quite annoying for him..

And, I thought reading all those Tommy Haffey books about coaching would hold me in good stead..........I was wrong!!

Anywho, one week left for our D grade then we can do what we do best - sink copious amounts of red cans and tell everyone how good we use to be.

Just a question, but why doesn't HV have a fence running along the side of the oval between the two coaches boxes?? One of our players was pushed over the boundary line and ended up slipping on the bitumen and breaking his wrist. Seems a little dangerous not having something to slow up players if they go over the boundary......

Quite annoying for Hefty to lose to your D grade but as a club we would be happy with winning the other 8 games you mention. Lets be honest here, we went into Saturdays game with Hefty chasing players up till midnight Friday night - meaning we had large numbers out of the grades higher so we are the ones that have to cover - with your side we were never going to get anywhere near you, if some of your guys were humble about where you sit in the D grade at the minute I wouldnt care. In footy when you are getting smacked you take little things out of a game - we matched it with you in the thirda quarter of Saturdays game and walked off at 3/4 time happy with one quarter of effort against a great side - all I copped when I walked in from your team was comments about how crap we are blah blah blah. That is the sort of arrogance that makes people jump on here and give it to you for sandbagging - as we did on the field. If you just went about your business and won without the arrogance I personally wouldnt have as much of an issue for thr side you put on the park - why would I really - we are not only miles away from where you are but from the rest of the top 5 also.

As Hefty said one game to go for us and agree that if it ends up being a PAOC V HV GF in Div8R it will be a high quality game - hoping that on that day we have other games to watch however ;)
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times

Postby Q. » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:15 pm

Trader wrote:Throw in ... Scott ...

Just because he looks like a sandbag doesn't mean he is one.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Trader » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:22 pm

TEX07 wrote:with your side we were never going to get anywhere near you, if some of your guys were humble about where you sit in the D grade at the minute I wouldnt care. In footy when you are getting smacked you take little things out of a game - we matched it with you in the thirda quarter of Saturdays game and walked off at 3/4 time happy with one quarter of effort against a great side - all I copped when I walked in from your team was comments about how crap we are blah blah blah. That is the sort of arrogance that makes people jump on here and give it to you for sandbagging - as we did on the field. If you just went about your business and won without the arrogance I personally wouldnt have as much of an issue for thr side you put on the park - why would I really - we are not only miles away from where you are but from the rest of the top 5 also.

Exactly.

People don't really have an issue with groups of mates playing together in the lower grades. The issue comes when the club internally grades their teams incorrectly. Everyone can see this group should be HV C's. That would resolve the issue right there. Instead, HV have left this group down in the lowest grade, making the Div8 games a joke while you're smacking sides in Div8R, and generally being a bunch of sh!t blokes while doing it. Add to that you then start to hear stories of them starting punch ups with PNU and it's no wonder everyone is laughing at not just the lads running around for HV in Div8R, but the entire club overall.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Trader, please don't tarnish the whole club with the same brush .

It's been said in previous posts that the committee had no idea that these blokes would be any good. Can you tell us how exactly you swap a whole grade over half way through the season? Given our C grades relative success over the last few years, it was always going to be hard to pick.

Do I condone the way our D grade appear to be carrying on? No, so I'm not disagreeing in large with what most of you are saying but there are ways of going about doing things and by large as a mod I have stayed Switzerland as it's not my battle to fight but I won't have people calling the whole club a joke.

Perhaps tell us which club you're from - and we'll see if it's a case of people in glass houses.

Is there anything we can do about it for the rest of this season? No (except for the committee to tell them to pull their heads in)

Im sure the committee will act in such a way to ensure that this doesn't happen again, given that this is our first year with 4 grades. A learning curve for everyone.

So please, please everyone, get over it.

Seriously - all your bitching unfortunately can't change anything for season 2014 and you'd all be the first ones to attack if people were having a crack at your club for whatever reason.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:49 pm

I agree with what Footy Chick is saying aside from "

[quote=Footy Chick]It's been said in previous posts that the committee had no idea that these blokes would be any good. Can you tell us how exactly you swap a whole grade over half way through the season? Given our C grades relative success over the last few years, it was always going to be hard to pick.[/quote]

It's easy. After round 4/5/6 etc. when you can read the Tea leaves pretty clearly you swap the teams around.

I also disagree with the "quit bitching". We had a guy quit football (who was admittedly in his twilight) after sustaining a broken cheekbone 100 metres off the ball courtesy of a guy just playing with his mates. If these problems aren't identified they aren't fixed.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:58 pm

I agree but bitching on here won't do anything.

Write to the club, write to the league, put in investigations if we're as bad as you all claim.

JO, this isn't indoor netball where we get re-graded after 4 rounds :lol:

I see what you're saying though and that people are suggesting that our club could adopt a better selection method?

I'm not on the committee so I'm not going to speak on their behalf in regard to the method in their madness (for want of a better term) - S Demon has done that in previous posts and I'm not sure how many times that can be repeated.

Over and out.

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Trader » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:04 pm

FC, certainly didn't mean to tarnish the entire club with the same brush.
By way of clarification, what I meant was the club is being laughed at due to the lack of decisive action from your committee.

As jo172 stated, by rd 5 it was clear the D's were FAR better than the C's. Not hard to swap them at that point of the season. Your club elected not to, and while that is entirely your decision, you must understand that a lack of leadership will come with some criticism.

I would naturally assume you don't condone the behaviour of the HV Div8R players, and I hope I haven't implied you do, however it is hard to believe the committee has (or will?) ask them to pull their heads in given the reports from the GG game on Saturday indicate they haven't improved following the much publicised PNU incident.

Certainly understand the club can't do anything about the grading from here on, and agree they will look to improve in future seasons. Simply put, for now, it is an unfortunate situation that does not reflect well on Hope Valley.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:17 pm

Well put, thanks Trader.

Footy Chick

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:20 pm

This has been really entertaining today but not that conducive to me getting any work done on a Monday.

The funniest part of this entire thread is when someone said that the big danger from PAC in finals is Bilyk. Surely you are not referring to "Hot Dogs" Harry Bilyk. If that's what HV need to look out for I suggest they make room in the cabinet now.

I would have thought the overall pace and run on a hopefully warm day and fast deck at a neutral venue with neutral umpires would make the contest a little closer than the forgone conclusion that I see in Div 8R. Perhaps PAC might need to qualify an enforcer like say.. "Peter Carter" to come out and play a power forward type role to free up the young quick legs of his beloved Reds. :D

estimated time of reply ; 6 minutes :)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 847 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:21 pm

wristwatcher wrote:This has been really entertaining today but not that conducive to me getting any work done on a Monday.

The funniest part of this entire thread is when someone said that the big danger from PAC in finals is Bilyk. Surely you are not referring to "Hot Dogs" Harry Bilyk. If that's what HV need to look out for I suggest they make room in the cabinet now.

I would have thought the overall pace and run on a hopefully warm day and fast deck at a neutral venue with neutral umpires would make the contest a little closer than the forgone conclusion that I see in Div 8R. Perhaps PAC might need to qualify an enforcer like say.. "Peter Carter" to come out and play a power forward type role to free up the young quick legs of his beloved Reds. :D

estimated time of reply ; 6 minutes :)

He can't reply so I'll do it for him.....

=)) =))

Footy Chick

Postby S Demon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:30 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Will the HopeValley cheer leaders be making a comeback for the D Grade GF ;)

Well we're not actually in the GF, but if we do make it, can we borrow your cheer squad? We'll supply the flags
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:35 pm

S Demon wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Will the HopeValley cheer leaders be making a comeback for the D Grade GF ;)

Well we're not actually in the GF, but if we do make it, can we borrow your cheer squad? We'll supply the flags

Touché. Put on a carton for them and provide bus fair and they will be there ;)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 847 times

Postby Q. » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:37 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Perhaps PAC might need to qualify an enforcer like say.. "Peter Carter" to come out and play a power forward type role to free up the young quick legs of his beloved Reds. :D

His forehead glare is his secret weapon.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby zedman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:56 pm

so it looks like the GF teams have been decided already! :)

how have the opposition found the CLG C grade?..we managed to get into 3rd spot after saturdays win..the team has only been going for just over a year and we are really proud of what they have achieved so far..can they match it all with the 2 top sides or are they just making up the numbers?
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Hefty » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:07 pm

zedman wrote:so it looks like the GF teams have been decided already! :)

how have the opposition found the CLG C grade?..we managed to get into 3rd spot after saturdays win..the team has only been going for just over a year and we are really proud of what they have achieved so far..can they match it all with the 2 top sides or are they just making up the numbers?

@ TEX07 and I were actually only discussing over the wkend that CLG could cause a few upsets in the finals. Your C grade are a 10 goal better side at home (the 10.15am start ain't no good for us NE clubs) but even when we played you blokes on our home deck had some handy players going around.

The ruckmen (number 10??) and full forward (brown?) are quality players and tore us up on both occasions. Throw in a couple of pacy midfielders, which go a long way in D grade footy, and think you could knock off one of the top two.

Should finish third with Salisbury (A) and PAOC (H) to finish off with.
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times

Postby zedman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:16 pm

Hefty wrote:

@ TEX07 and I were actually only discussing over the wkend that CLG could cause a few upsets in the finals. Your C grade are a 10 goal better side at home (the 10.15am start ain't no good for us NE clubs) but even when we played you blokes on our home deck had some handy players going around.

The ruckmen (number 10??) and full forward (brown?) are quality players and tore us up on both occasions. Throw in a couple of pacy midfielders, which go a long way in D grade footy, and think you could knock off one of the top two.

Should finish third with Salisbury (A) and PAOC (H) to finish off with.

thanks hefty..#10 played CHF in our A grade grand final last year but wouldnt come to any training sessions for various reasons so its down you go..browny has hundreds of games and goals of experience..hes nearly 40 i reckon but still a goal sneak..appreciate the feedback mate..
zedman
Coach

Postby S Demon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:23 pm

They're a big chance to make the GF IMO. I'm pretty sure they were in front at halftime on both occasions against us but seemed to run out of puff. That's 2nd hand information only. I haven't actually seen them play
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby zedman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:29 pm

S Demon wrote:

They're a big chance to make the GF IMO. I'm pretty sure they were in front at halftime on both occasions against us but seemed to run out of puff. That's 2nd hand information only. I haven't actually seen them play

cheers SD..our B grade is fairly strong which has pushed some good players down..they are just pumped to be playing finals now and if they can snag a win they will be over the moon..would need to do everything right and have all players available to get the GF imo but you never know..
zedman
Coach

Postby Road to Glory » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:30 pm

Clg are def the danger side of the comp they've been hard at the ball and spread pretty well both times we've played them
Road to Glory
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Lucindale

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League