Port Rezoning

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Port Rezoning

Postby Aerie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:26 pm

I concur with areaman and LPH. It is Woodville-Port Adelaide Eagles now. 2013 saw the loss of Thebarton to West. 2014 sees the loss of Henley/Grange to Glenelg and Flinders Park/Brompton to West. The yellow guernsey is there - they just need to change the shorts and socks to black or green.

Our Board pushed to have Adelaide and Port Adelaide Reserves in the competition, knowing the consequences.

My Great Grandpa arrived in Chief Street Brompton in 1920 and was involved with the club straight away, my Nanna and Poppa lived in Flinders Park and would only use blue and gold pegs on the clothes line, my Mum and Dad live in Henley Beach. At least after the merger the WWTFC still represented the traditional areas of West Torrens. There was still that connection.

I find it hard to relate to the club and the competition now. Half way through last year when the Reserves debate was going on, the enthusiasm dipped at what might be. The meaning of the competition has now gone, the passion has vacated the terraces and so now has the heartland of the club. No longer will my weekend calendar be filled with Eagles games. I'll keep my scarf and be one of those additions that swell the crowd during finals or turn up if it's a sunny day and I have nothing better to do.

The players do a great job and are much admired for the efforts they put in. Particularly in going up against well paid and well looked after professionals. It is a pity the administration of the SANFL and it's clubs has buggered it up. At least for me and a few others. I guess, from an admin perspective, you can't please them all.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:50 pm

robranisgod wrote:
saintal wrote:
Dutchy wrote:West will be spewing about losing Aberfoyle Park, which includes the Happy Valley FC, been a very happy hunting ground for them for the past couple of decades.

I presume a school located in Aberfoyle Park will now be in the South Adelaide school footy program? (Currently with West)

Good result for South indeed.

Nowhere near the number of kids in that area as when it was the happy hunting ground for West. South still feel cheated by missing out on that area when it was at its peak.

Are you serious? The area has grown considerably in recent years, perfect time for South to take over, Just look at the extra footy teams both Happy Valley and Reynella have added in the last 3 years that they have never had before. School numbers have also grown.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3566 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:What's your point , just say the suburbs .

Trott Park, Shiedow Park
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Reddeer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:05 am

LPH wrote:http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2615/

Glenelg get Henley High?
What a shock - this former Junior is sad :(
Henley & Grange have been Eagles Heartland as long as I can remember - as kids we played for Torrens on Saturday & Henley on Sunday.

What do we think of the rezoning?

This has to be the greatest joke of a decision ever put on a club. The SANFL is becoming a bigger disgrace every day. Talk about a balanced level playing field. It just gets worse.
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby SANFLnut » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:28 am

Don't lose sight of the fact that it is residential addresses, not schools attended or footy clubs played for that determine which club kids play for. Some impact of schools/clubs moving zone for primary school footy comp or support provided to local clubs via auskick etc. Clubs or schools that fall close to a boundary will often have a 50:50 split or even a minority in some cases.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:28 am

I reckon the SANFL were mainly looking at numbers on paper rather than looking at how particular areas identify with a club and the impact that their removal might have on a club.

Woodville oval now sits on the far south of the eagles zone frontier. 90% of their metro zone now lies to the north.

I guess the bulk of those kids who were at Woodville Oval on Sunday representing the eagles footy zones will now be playing against us. I hope we didn't give out too many showbags to them since they are now a wasted investment !!!!

With the Henley area gone I really don't know which area can be strongly identified as eagles territory now. The Henley area to us is what the area around the Parade is to Norwood, what Unley is to Sturt.

This season is rapidly turning into a nightmare for this eagles supporter :( The passion is gone from the competition, our side is pathetic, crowds are down. I really can't see myself attending any games in 2-3 years.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby DOC » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:37 am

Reddeer wrote:
LPH wrote:http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2615/

Glenelg get Henley High?
What a shock - this former Junior is sad :(
Henley & Grange have been Eagles Heartland as long as I can remember - as kids we played for Torrens on Saturday & Henley on Sunday.

What do we think of the rezoning?

This has to be the greatest joke of a decision ever put on a club. The SANFL is becoming a bigger disgrace every day. Talk about a balanced level playing field. It just gets worse.

Not quite. Try moving home grounds 30 plus kilometres and not retaining any of your area.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 741 times
Been liked: 2111 times

Postby smac » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:32 am

I remember one time where 2 teams from another competition were allowed to put their reserves team in the SANFL league competition. That was a bigger joke of a decision.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 am

Mr Fuller wrote:
I guess the bulk of those kids who were at Woodville Oval on Sunday representing the eagles footy zones will now be playing against us. I hope we didn't give out too many showbags to them since they are now a wasted investment !!!!

Wasn't it a MWJFL carnival, not an Eagles zone carnival (that was earlier in the year)? Were the clubs from your new zone there (Rosewater, Portland, Port District, North Haven)?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 am

The whole zone situation I find quite interesting. Centrals seem to have a very small area compared to some other teams, but I guess that is offset by having an area where there is a lot of young kids.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:04 am

SANFLnut wrote:Don't lose sight of the fact that it is residential addresses, not schools attended or footy clubs played for that determine which club kids play for. Some impact of schools/clubs moving zone for primary school footy comp or support provided to local clubs via auskick etc. Clubs or schools that fall close to a boundary will often have a 50:50 split or even a minority in some cases.

Good point that I think a lot of people forget, we are right on the boundary where half the school would be in West's zone and half in South (and a small % in Glenelg's), now more likely to be 80% South, just wondering what school zone competition we will be in next year, after years of being in West's I presume we now will move to South because of this.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby areaman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:24 am

Aerie wrote:I concur with areaman and LPH. It is Woodville-Port Adelaide Eagles now. 2013 saw the loss of Thebarton to West. 2014 sees the loss of Henley/Grange to Glenelg and Flinders Park/Brompton to West. The yellow guernsey is there - they just need to change the shorts and socks to black or green.

Our Board pushed to have Adelaide and Port Adelaide Reserves in the competition, knowing the consequences.

My Great Grandpa arrived in Chief Street Brompton in 1920 and was involved with the club straight away, my Nanna and Poppa lived in Flinders Park and would only use blue and gold pegs on the clothes line, my Mum and Dad live in Henley Beach. At least after the merger the WWTFC still represented the traditional areas of West Torrens. There was still that connection.

I find it hard to relate to the club and the competition now. Half way through last year when the Reserves debate was going on, the enthusiasm dipped at what might be. The meaning of the competition has now gone, the passion has vacated the terraces and so now has the heartland of the club. No longer will my weekend calendar be filled with Eagles games. I'll keep my scarf and be one of those additions that swell the crowd during finals or turn up if it's a sunny day and I have nothing better to do.

The players do a great job and are much admired for the efforts they put in. Particularly in going up against well paid and well looked after professionals. It is a pity the administration of the SANFL and it's clubs has buggered it up. At least for me and a few others. I guess, from an admin perspective, you can't please them all.

I have emailed a few at the Eagles questioning how they view the club's identity with the significant shift in zones.

One of the 5 guiding principles was retaining a club's heartland. I have asked the Eagles whether they consider we achieved this or not.
areaman
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby PhilH » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:42 am

A couple of points to keep things factual from what has been raised here.

Sunday at Woodville was a MWJFL U8, U9 & U10 carnival involving all 10 of their junior clubs
- Lockleys going from West to Glenelg
- Henley going from Eagles to Glenelg
- SMOSH West Lakes, Woodville South, West Croydon & Seaton staying at Eagles
- Port District, Portland, North Haven & Rosewater moving from Port to Eagles

It was deemed a success and scheduling permitting all 10 clubs should be back next year for another event.

All the kids that got showbags and signed up as junior members either on Sunday or from the many other promotions held over the past years
STAY AS EAGLES MEMBERS
Changing a zone does not change memberships, just where a club can promote and where talented kids play in development squads etc.

It is factually incorrect to say crowds are down, especially with the Eagles
We need just 1,424 (712 per game) to turn up over our last 2 home games to beat the 2013 home match total
and we need only 2,689 (897 per game) to turn up over our last 3 matches to beat the all games average.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:44 am

areaman wrote:
Aerie wrote:I concur with areaman and LPH. It is Woodville-Port Adelaide Eagles now. 2013 saw the loss of Thebarton to West. 2014 sees the loss of Henley/Grange to Glenelg and Flinders Park/Brompton to West. The yellow guernsey is there - they just need to change the shorts and socks to black or green.

I have emailed a few at the Eagles questioning how they view the club's identity with the significant shift in zones.

One of the 5 guiding principles was retaining a club's heartland. I have asked the Eagles whether they consider we achieved this or not.

Thanks Areaman

Grateful if you could please post the response if/when you get one. I must say I’m not holding my breath for a satisfactory response from the club given their recent history of making decisions that are wrecking the fabric of the club e.g. supporting the AFL reserves entry; supporting a policy of only poaching money-hungry local recruits.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby RB » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:11 pm

areaman wrote:I have asked the Eagles whether they consider we achieved this or not.

Tell us all if you get a reply; would be a little surprised if you did TBH.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Postby Rising Power » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:44 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:So will some of these PAFC supporters finally now admit the Magpies are finally KAPUT DEAD NADA ??????

A 143 years of Magpie teamS history and zones destroyed !!!

Well done SANFL you really have excelled in destroying a once great competition.

RIP Magpies.

Get stuffed SANFL !!!!!!!!!!!

As far as I know there will still be a Port Adelaide 'Magpies' in the SANFL next year. My team :)

I'm looking forward to the effect of reducing the junior system by one team will have on the overall competition. Should strengthen the U18s, reserves and potentially the amateur/country leagues too. Keep those junior titles coming to SA!
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby matt1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:55 pm

Honestly, what did we expect was going to happen?

For those that wanted Port not to have a zone anymore, this was always going to be the outcome. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that I'd be flabbergasted if the WWTFC weren't planning for this since the Magpies became the Power reserves.

Granted, I'm not from the Torrens part of our Club (living in Souths zone) but I see an opportunity. We get to keep all the existing members we have and promote to our existing database of people. Surely if people aren't already on board from a Torrens perspective, they're not likely to be on board in future?

And, we get to promote to a totally new set of people in an area which. Is historically quite rich in football talent. It'll be a challenge but by the looks, we have more 'new' metropolitan people than any other Club.

I have absolute faith in Phil Herden to be able to make an opportunity out of this.
matt1
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:00 pm

This is a brilliant post.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby LPH » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:06 pm

PhilH wrote:A couple of points to keep things factual from what has been raised here.

- Lockleys going from West to Glenelg
- Henley going from Eagles to Glenelg
- SMOSH West Lakes, Woodville South, West Croydon & Seaton staying at Eagles
- Port District, Portland, North Haven & Rosewater moving from Port to Eagles

It was deemed a success and scheduling permitting all 10 clubs should be back next year for another event.

All the kids that got showbags and signed up as junior members either on Sunday or from the many other promotions held over the past years
STAY AS EAGLES MEMBERS
Changing a zone does not change memberships, just where a club can promote and where talented kids play in development squads etc.

It is factually incorrect to say crowds are down, especially with the Eagles
We need just 1,424 (712 per game) to turn up over our last 2 home games to beat the 2013 home match total
and we need only 2,689 (897 per game) to turn up over our last 3 matches to beat the all games average

1. Lockleys North Primary School was ALWAYS part of WTFC's Zone for as long as I can remember - so were Cowandilla PS Fulham North PS, Henley South PS, Grange PS, Flinders Park PS, Fulham Gardens PS, Kidman Park PS - in terms of Residential; the vast majority of the students at these schools LIVE in the 'catchment' (as they are DECD Schools) which is located AROUND the school.

2. Correct but... How many of those 'Members' are Crows or Power Supporters & how will the Club address its Aging membership base & replace these 'dying' members with young one's?

3. Clearly, everything's fine. What are the Membership numbers like compared to previous years?

Got to say I agree whole-heartedly with Aerie - interest is waning from my perspective too :(
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Apachebulldog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:58 pm

Rising Power wrote:
Apachebulldog wrote:So will some of these PAFC supporters finally now admit the Magpies are finally KAPUT DEAD NADA ??????

A 143 years of Magpie teamS history and zones destroyed !!!

Well done SANFL you really have excelled in destroying a once great competition.

RIP Magpies.

Get stuffed SANFL !!!!!!!!!!!

As far as I know there will still be a Port Adelaide 'Magpies' in the SANFL next year. My team :)

I'm looking forward to the effect of reducing the junior system by one team will have on the overall competition. Should strengthen the U18s, reserves and potentially the amateur/country leagues too. Keep those junior titles coming to SA!

I do not how long you have been following the SANFL ????

I have been a die hard supporter of SANFL for around 45 years and have enjoyed my club competing against the real Magpies.

Look you can call them the Magpies if you like if it makes feel nice warm and fuzzy.

But i would suggest that in reality most supporters in their hearts realise they are now just a AFL Reserves team.

My gist of the post was to highlight the SANFL comp is stuffed without the real SANFL Magpies they were a INTEGRAL part and cornerstone of the SANFL.

Should the AFL Power Reserves take out the 2014 SANFL Premiership then next year we will see thousands more turn away from the SANFL.

So sad !

RIP Magpies 1870 - 2013

RIP SANFL !
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL