HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby bailey39 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:39 pm

Pinarello wrote:It appears this coming Saturday the "battle for the spoon" will take place at Pine Ave..... 2 proud clubs, but there can only be one winner!

I'm tipping the magpies to take the wooden spoon for 2014..... would be a long time since that has happened?!?

yeah would've been a while thats for sure. Never would have picked it at the start of the season either.
bailey39
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby doubletrouble » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:08 pm

bailey39 wrote:
Pinarello wrote:It appears this coming Saturday the "battle for the spoon" will take place at Pine Ave..... 2 proud clubs, but there can only be one winner!

I'm tipping the magpies to take the wooden spoon for 2014..... would be a long time since that has happened?!?

yeah would've been a while thats for sure. Never would have picked it at the start of the season either.

Not only does the loser get a wooden spoon they also get to play in country div next season...
doubletrouble
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby The Gimp » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:21 pm

doubletrouble wrote:
bailey39 wrote:

Not only does the loser get a wooden spoon they also get to play in country div next season...

No they don't.
The Gimp
Reserves

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby the_grinch » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:43 pm

Update on what the relegation points are looking like?
the_grinch
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby cracka » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:17 pm

doubletrouble wrote:
bailey39 wrote:

I think the relegation game is between Torrens Valley & Echunga at Mt Torrens this weekend.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby cracka » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:20 pm

the_grinch wrote:Update on what the relegation points are looking like?

Pretty sure Echunga are only 5 points in front of Torrens Valley.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:12 pm

cracka wrote:
the_grinch wrote:Update on what the relegation points are looking like?

Pretty sure Echunga are only 5 points in front of Torrens Valley.

1st - Blackwood - 241
2nd - Mount Barker - 223
3rd - Uraidla Districts - 215
4th - Lobethal - 182
5th - Hahndorf - 170
6th - Ironbank-Cherry Gardens - 169
7th - Onkaparinga Valley - 159
8th - Bridgewater - 139
9th - Echunga - 116
10th - Torrens Valley - 111

Is it just me but is the weighting for colts and B-Grade too high? Winning the B-Grade & two colts games is worth 30% more than winning the A-Grade, just seems a little out of kilter with reality when those grades are there to support the A-Grade not be more important.

Just playing with figures here, A-Grade 10, B-Grade 4, Senior Colts 3 & Junior Colts 2 - that way the minor grades are still worth something but do not overpower the A-Grade too much gives:

1st - Uraidla Districts - 198
2nd - Blackwood - 194
3rd - Mount Barker - 186
4th - Lobethal - 158
5th - Ironbank-Cherry Gardens - 134
6th - Hahndorf - 122
7th - Onkaparinga Valley - 119
8th - Bridgewater - 113
9th - Echunga - 106
10th - Torrens Valley - 95

Same effective result but seems a bit more relevant
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Legs Man » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:14 pm

It would be an absolute Joke should Echunga be relegated after what they have achieved this year - particularly taking into account they couldn't even plan for Central until so late in the piece.

The points weight given to B grade and Senior Colts is too high considering the finance involved in competing in Central A grade.

I hope it doesn't come down to this match after all the great work we have done.

There are some people who are talking "legal" if it does and they are very passionate plus well equipped. (certainly as good as TV had when they secured a 2 year guarantee - watch this space)

The competition doesn't need another saga like last year - and I am sure the HFL doesn't want to see another clubs junior program decimated (which will happen if Echunga goes down).

Would the HFL let it happen with no feeling of guilt - my guess is they would after their attitude at the end of 2013.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby chopper7 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:23 pm

Legs Man wrote:It would be an absolute Joke should Echunga be relegated after what they have achieved this year - particularly taking into account they couldn't even plan for Central until so late in the piece.

The points weight given to B grade and Senior Colts is too high considering the finance involved in competing in Central A grade.

I hope it doesn't come down to this match after all the great work we have done.

There are some people who are talking "legal" if it does and they are very passionate plus well equipped. (certainly as good as TV had when they secured a 2 year guarantee - watch this space)

The competition doesn't need another saga like last year - and I am sure the HFL doesn't want to see another clubs junior program decimated (which will happen if Echunga goes down).

Would the HFL let it happen with no feeling of guilt - my guess is they would after their attitude at the end of 2013.

Rules are rules Legs Man, simple as that. Just tell your blokes to pull their fingers out this weekend. Would much rather read your biased/annoying post about how good Echunga are week in week out than run around at Mt Torrens again.
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Legs Man » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:32 pm

Hey Chop - I haven't said how good we are too much - just how good it is for other sides getting to play at Echunga.

Surely you agree it would be a travesty if we are forced to go down and are juniors are destroyed after 1 year without ample planning for all grades?

The HFL hasn't done us any favours and seem unlikely to in the future.

I have everything crossed that we can beat TV but it shouldn't come down to this when we are firmly entrenched in the finals race.

We appreciate your support and the support of the other fair minded clubs and supporters.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Legs Man » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:34 pm

Do finals matches count in the club shield points?
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:39 pm

With the farce that was Callington and last years promotion/relegation debacle for the HFL board, one would think that it will almost be a dead set certainty that Euchunga will be relegated after winning the A Grdae flag.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Williesservant » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Rumour has it , mortgage shield scrapped, bottom A grade club to go down !
Williesservant
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:32 pm

daysofourlives wrote:With the farce that was Callington and last years promotion/relegation debacle for the HFL board, one would think that it will almost be a dead set certainty that Euchunga will be relegated after winning the A Grdae flag.

Looking at the run home, I think Bridgewater are also in trouble. It is going to be a very close finish.
This weeks A-Grade between Echunga & Torrens Valley is obviously very important, effectively a "20 point game", but because it is so close, the Senior & Junior colts are also critical (assuming TV win the B-Grade).

Bridgewater need to win the Senior colts against Mount Barker this week or beat Echunga in the Junior colts next week as it is hard to see them beating Mount Barker, Echunga or Uraidla in the A's

It may all come down to the Junior colts game in round 18 between Uraidla & Bridgewater as there may only be 2 points in it at that stage with Bridgewater desperate for the 3 points. Likewise the Junior colts game between Bridgewater & Echunga in Round 17 will also be do or die.

Looking at the run home, a club will probably need 150 points to survive. Bridgewater need 11 more, Echunga 34 more and Torrens Valley 39 more
Bridgewater should get the 5 points in the B-Grade against Echunga, it will likely then come down to the juniors. That is assuming Echunga or Torrens Valley pick up 30 points in the A-grade and the other 20 points. With TV getting up to 15 points in the B-grade.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby cracka » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Williesservant wrote:Rumour has it , mortgage shield scrapped, bottom A grade club to go down !

Cant be for this year. Rules are in place & would need a vote to be changed for next year.
cracka
Veteran

Postby jumbo20 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:47 pm

What is the status for sub juniors for 2015? Are we interested in this
jumbo20
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:06 pm

Must be a full moon - so many ridiculous posts with drama queen overtones.

Legs Man - the reason Echunga are even in Central Division is because a majority of the Clubs wanted the HFL to act in accordance with the by-laws. That's why they voted to make Mt Lofty go down - to honour the by-laws. So it follows that if the by-laws are good enough to get you promoted, then they're certainly good enough to see you relegated if you finish bottom of the points table - simple. Your club knew the rules of relegation before the season started.

I note you state that TV were given a 2 year moratorium to stay in Central. 100% Incorrect, Why invent a fact to support your argument when it's clearly not true? If TV had of finished bottom in their first year up, then they would have come down. As it turned out, no team in Country asked to come up that year anyway.
You also answered your own question when you talk about the cost to "finance" the A grade team as a reason to downplay the points given for junior teams. You do see your flawed logic don't you? The strength of a club is more than the size of their cheque book. Hahndorf are likely to win the A grade wooden spoon this year yet are also likely to win all 3 junior premierships. Surely the fact that Echunga are paying more than Hahndorf for A grade wins doesn't mean they need to be given a concession. Despite Echunga playing A grade finals and Hahndorf likely to win the spoon, I know which club is stronger.

Finally, Looks Good in Leather - surprised you think Bridgewater are in danger given they have to play Uraidla and Echunga, so between the senior colts and B grade will be over 150 points without much effort.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby has been » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Elmer J you make some terrific points in relation to Echunga. They outside of their A Grade have accumulated fewer points all year in the other 4 teams they field each week. That is pathetic. Their B grade is a joke and they are just behind TV in the feral stakes. Would it not be good to have Nairne and Mt Lofty back in Central and the 2 ferals back in country where they belong in 2015. Have heard on the other hand though we may very well have a 14 team 1 division competition as early as next year.
has been
Rookie

Been liked: 7 times

Postby chopper7 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:34 pm

Legs Man wrote:Hey Chop - I haven't said how good we are too much - just how good it is for other sides getting to play at Echunga.

Surely you agree it would be a travesty if we are forced to go down and are juniors are destroyed after 1 year without ample planning for all grades?

The HFL hasn't done us any favours and seem unlikely to in the future.

I have everything crossed that we can beat TV but it shouldn't come down to this when we are firmly entrenched in the finals race.

We appreciate your support and the support of the other fair minded clubs and supporters.

Yes LM, I do think it wouldn't be correct if Echunga went down seeing as their As will play finals, but we all knew the rules coming into the start of the season. Will be a very tough game in the mud pit. Long way back to Echunga for showers.
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby cracka » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:01 pm

has been wrote:Elmer J you make some terrific points in relation to Echunga. They outside of their A Grade have accumulated fewer points all year in the other 4 teams they field each week. That is pathetic. Their B grade is a joke and they are just behind TV in the feral stakes. Would it not be good to have Nairne and Mt Lofty back in Central and the 2 ferals back in country where they belong in 2015. Have heard on the other hand though we may very well have a 14 team 1 division competition as early as next year.

Calling them ferals is a bit harsh, supporters & players have been fine (that I know of) the 2 times we've played them. In the past when a Country/Div 2 club has come up they have tried to play the Country/Div 2 thug style of footy. I think Echunga have adapted well to the Central/Div 1 style. Probably the reason they are well in contention for A grade finals.

Uraidla & Lobethal have also accumulated more points in their A grade than the other 4 sides combined (not including the last round).

Where have you heard about this 14 team comp. That would be crazy IMO.
cracka
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy