HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby Legs Man » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:17 am

has been wrote:Elmer J you make some terrific points in relation to Echunga. They outside of their A Grade have accumulated fewer points all year in the other 4 teams they field each week. That is pathetic. Their B grade is a joke and they are just behind TV in the feral stakes. Would it not be good to have Nairne and Mt Lofty back in Central and the 2 ferals back in country where they belong in 2015. Have heard on the other hand though we may very well have a 14 team 1 division competition as early as next year.

Has been - the name says it all.

Interesting when the need to label a club which would have one of the highest socio demographic populations becomes the state of play.

Great response - HAS BEEN!

My biggest gripe is that Echunga was not provided the same timeframe to compete in Central with respect to planning and acquiring juniors etc.

Happy to take the medicine should we have been given the same chance when going up - which did not happen due to the HFL showing a lack of trust when we assured them of all sides being fielded.

I hope all is resolved in the positive for us with a win at the bog hole.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby overthehill » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:31 am

All great points but my main concern with Echunga is from all reports they have one key financial backer. If this person is unable or unwilling to continue the high level of funding, Echunga's A grade will only be as good as the rest of the club which is bottom 3 at best. If no team nominates to come up the central then we are stuck with a club that just does not have the means to play in central division
overthehill
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby The Gimp » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:02 am

Legs Man wrote:
has been wrote:Elmer J you make some terrific points in relation to Echunga. They outside of their A Grade have accumulated fewer points all year in the other 4 teams they field each week. That is pathetic. Their B grade is a joke and they are just behind TV in the feral stakes. Would it not be good to have Nairne and Mt Lofty back in Central and the 2 ferals back in country where they belong in 2015. Have heard on the other hand though we may very well have a 14 team 1 division competition as early as next year.

Interesting when the need to label a club which would have one of the highest socio demographic populations becomes the state of play.

My biggest gripe is that Echunga was not provided the same timeframe to compete in Central with respect to planning and acquiring juniors etc.Happy to take the medicine should we have been given the same chance when going up - which did not happen due to the HFL showing a lack of trust when we assured them of all sides being fielded.

You're missing the point Legs Man. A club shouldn't have to "acquire" juniors to go up to div 1! It should've developed over time into a strong club across all grades, then move up into div 1 and cement your spot by getting wins in all grades, not just A grade.
Out of interest, how many of your current B graders are going to hang around in div 1 next year if they keep getting flogged? Do you think it's sustainable for a club to be putting a lot of money into the A grade just to stay in div 1 while the other grades are struggling?
Not having a go, just asking some questions?
Credit to the club for their A grade results this season. I for one wasn't surprised at all to see you A's do well - they were head and shoulders above the other teams in div 2 last year.
The Gimp
Reserves

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby cracka » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:35 am

overthehill wrote:All great points but my main concern with Echunga is from all reports they have one key financial backer. If this person is unable or unwilling to continue the high level of funding, Echunga's A grade will only be as good as the rest of the club which is bottom 3 at best. If no team nominates to come up the central then we are stuck with a club that just does not have the means to play in central division

Same could be said for Uraidla & Torrens Valley. Where are Ironbank getting their $ from, do they also have 1 key financial supporter.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:10 am

Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:Finally, Looks Good in Leather - surprised you think Bridgewater are in danger given they have to play Uraidla and Echunga, so between the senior colts and B grade will be over 150 points without much effort.

A lot of assumptions here, but here goes.

Bridgewater - curr 139
Expecting them to lose their 3 remaining A-Grade games (Mount Barker, Echunga & Uraidla). They should account for Echunga in the Bs (5 points) but I would expect them to lose the other two. In the senior colts I expect them to beat Echunga & Uraidla (10 points), but the Mount Barker game is hard to call. In the Junior colts I expect them to lose to Mount Barker, with the Echunga and Uraidla games in the balance.

Predicted Final Range: 155-166

Echunga - curr 116
This week very important in the A's against TV with the winner gaining an extra 10 points against a fellow relegation candidate. I expect them to beat both Bridgewater and Hahndorf (20 points). Unlikely to win any of the remaining games in the Bs (0 points). Expecting them to lose the Senior colts against Bridgewater & Hahndorf, with the game against Torrens Valley in the balance. In the junior colts I don't see them beating Hahndorf, but both the Torrens Valley & Bridgewater games are a chance.

Predicted Final Range: 136-157

Torrens Valley - curr 111
As mentioned, this week very important against Echunga and likely to beat Hahndorf (10 points) with the Ironbank game also a chance. Expecting TV to win their B-Grade games against Echunga & Hahndorf (10 points) and a chance to beat Ironbank. Not expecting them to win the Senior colts against Hahndorf or Ironbank but the Echunga game could be a chance. Similar in the Junior Colts I expect losses to Hahndorf & Ironbank but toss a coin in the Echunga game with it being a close one earlier in the year.

Predicted Final Range: 131-164

If Torrens Valley beat Echunga this week then Bridgewater should be safe, but their performance in the A-Grade mean that if a few results go Echunga's way, Bridgewater also find themselves in danger.

Should be an exciting finish.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Tanka » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:20 pm

Great write up LGIL... cheers mate
Tanka
Under 16s

Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Is there any rule to stop you playing your entire A grade team in the Bgrade in the last game to guarentee 5 points and avoid relegation?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby youngpace » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:45 pm

The Gimp wrote:
Legs Man wrote:

My biggest gripe is that Echunga was not provided the same timeframe to compete in Central with respect to planning and acquiring juniors etc.Happy to take the medicine should we have been given the same chance when going up - which did not happen due to the HFL showing a lack of trust when we assured them of all sides being fielded.

You're missing the point Legs Man. A club shouldn't have to "acquire" juniors to go up to div 1! It should've developed over time into a strong club across all grades, then move up into div 1 and cement your spot by getting wins in all grades, not just A grade.
Out of interest, how many of your current B graders are going to hang around in div 1 next year if they keep getting flogged? Do you think it's sustainable for a club to be putting a lot of money into the A grade just to stay in div 1 while the other grades are struggling?
Not having a go, just asking some questions?
Credit to the club for their A grade results this season. I for one wasn't surprised at all to see you A's do well - they were head and shoulders above the other teams in div 2 last year.

You are forgetting that a key factor in Echunga wanting to go up was the benefit it would have (is having) for their juniors!

The opportunity to develop juniors in Country is extremely limited and the gap in the quality of divisions is far greater for juniors then seniors. The lack of clubs with full junior compliments has drastically changed the culture of footy in Country over the past 5ish years. 1. kids can go weeks without a game 2. they often play separate from the rest of club 3. they play some teams 3-4 times a season (which can become stale). This all results in kids either moving to a central club to get a regular game or more often giving footy away. This is why there was a need to acquire juniors before the season commenced. Noted that Echunga filled all grades regardless.

I think Echunga has invested in A grade as that is the head of a football club and success for that grade is highly desirable. For the club to stay up into next season the A Grade had to be very successful (10 points is still more then 5). With regards to B grader retention for next year, we will just have to see if those men are man enough to stick out out for a while as little fish in a big pond.

As I have said before, it's time for the central div clubs to start aiding the improvement of Country! For the benefit of all.
youngpace
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby youngpace » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:49 pm

jumbo20 wrote:What is the status for sub juniors for 2015? Are we interested in this

Sub juniors? as in the overflow (for lack of a better term) playing at clubs with low numbers?
youngpace
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Yellow & Black » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Cracking round of matches ahead, any predictions?
Yellow & Black

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Rubber Chest » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Yellow & Black wrote:Cracking round of matches ahead, any predictions?

Blackwood to upset the league leaders.
Onkas by plenty
Torrens Valley look to have a good side in. They may win, just.
Lobethal in a canter
Mt barker should win against an improved b/water.
Rubber Chest
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby redsox » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:22 pm

Echunga go down in the relegation Cup. Losing A, B and u/17's.
redsox

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby supercoach » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:06 pm

Legsman I feel for you this morning. Don't stress too much over this relegation issue too much as I have it from a pretty good source we will see a 12 team comp next year for sure with Lofty and Nairne coming up and then a 1 div 14 team comp in 2016 as the next step in the equation once amalgamations take place. Believe 3 clubs are already talking re a super club in 2016 and 2 others in a similar discussion for the same year but not sure what competition they intend to play in. Sedan will be given the option to play C Grade and re establish itself. Interesting times ahead.
supercoach
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Uraidla Districts

Postby Tanka » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:07 pm

supercoach wrote:Legsman I feel for you this morning. Don't stress too much over this relegation issue too much as I have it from a pretty good source we will see a 12 team comp next year for sure with Lofty and Nairne coming up and then a 1 div 14 team comp in 2016 as the next step in the equation once amalgamations take place. Believe 3 clubs are already talking re a super club in 2016 and 2 others in a similar discussion for the same year but not sure what competition they intend to play in. Sedan will be given the option to play C Grade and re establish itself. Interesting times ahead.

SC this cant happen - just ask any players, officials or administrators in the Southern League, it will ruin the competition. If there has to be a change, and I dont think there does, it needs to go to 3 divisions not 1. I cant see why there are still problems - every club knows the rules - we have to learn to accept that 1 club may come up and another down every year and develop our junior players regardless of where our teams are playing
Tanka
Under 16s

Has liked: 30 times

Postby cracka » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:45 pm

supercoach wrote:Legsman I feel for you this morning. Don't stress too much over this relegation issue too much as I have it from a pretty good source we will see a 12 team comp next year for sure with Lofty and Nairne coming up and then a 1 div 14 team comp in 2016 as the next step in the equation once amalgamations take place. Believe 3 clubs are already talking re a super club in 2016 and 2 others in a similar discussion for the same year but not sure what competition they intend to play in. Sedan will be given the option to play C Grade and re establish itself. Interesting times ahead.

I hope not. It will take 6 clubs to change their vote from late last year. If plenty of mergers are happening between smaller clubs then it may have to go to 1 div.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:16 pm

cracka wrote:

I hope not. It will take 6 clubs to change their vote from late last year. If plenty of mergers are happening between smaller clubs then it may have to go to 1 div.

If there is to be a club vote on an expanded Div 1 competition for 2015, it will be based on a recommendation from an independent review panel following consultations with all clubs. This is very different to the vote held last year which was driven by Mt Lofty's self interest in trying anything to avoid going down to Country.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby has been » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:22 pm

I dont see a need for change either but a little birdie said TV and 2 clubs close by are already chatting and 2 teams down south have had a chat about a possible union. Do believe from the source that the HFL will push ahead with the review recommendations asap hell or high water........ Interseting times ahead.
has been
Rookie

Been liked: 7 times

Postby cracka » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:
cracka wrote:

If there is to be a club vote on an expanded Div 1 competition for 2015, it will be based on a recommendation from an independent review panel following consultations with all clubs. This is very different to the vote held last year which was driven by Mt Lofty's self interest in trying anything to avoid going down to Country.

The review panel can recommend all they want, it will still need 6 clubs (mostly country div clubs) to change their vote to get up. IMO If the HFL clubs vote to go down the track of a 12 team central comp, it will kill country div & some of its clubs.

3 of the 4 guys on the panel are local Hills football people so not that independent.
cracka
Veteran

Postby The Panther » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:13 pm

Not a single mention of a super club yesterday at Mount Torrens.
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby The Panther » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:16 pm

Would a 7 team country div be that bad , If it goes back to just junior and senior colts and with the exception of Sedan all clubs fill junior grades why can't it work ?
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy