The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:21 pm

bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:
Tech1 wrote:Heard Rowe on 5aa say that the league will be sending out a statement soon in regards to changes for the afl reserves side for 2015.

- Can't sign anyone over 23
- Can only sign one year contracts
- Can't recruit interstate players

I wonder if this means they have to get rid of players or they just can't sign anymore players over 23, not sure what else was mentioned only caught the end of it.

All part of the AFLSA push to make the SANFL an under 23 feeder comp for the AFL.

I have been posting this thought for a couple of years and I truly believe AFL head office would love nothing more than to see all the state league completely change to this way

not sure why they would do this. doesnt make any sense really

As close as following the American sport system as they could get in Oz

Every thing the AFL does is based on the USA sports system

-salary caps
-blockbuster games
-schedules based solely on maximising TV ratings
-creating franchises to capture a certain market
-teams with extra salary cap room etc etc
-finals
-free agency
-tv replays for deciscions
-trade period
-draft combine
-drafts
-veterans lists/rookie lists/development players from overseas
-completely monopoly of the sport (NFL being used as the term people refer to when they describe the sport they play similar to AFL when it's Aussie rules football)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby saintal » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:07 pm

You forgot to raise your bat whufc. Good post btw.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:19 pm

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:
Tech1 wrote:Heard Rowe on 5aa say that the league will be sending out a statement soon in regards to changes for the afl reserves side for 2015.

- Can't sign anyone over 23
- Can only sign one year contracts
- Can't recruit interstate players

I wonder if this means they have to get rid of players or they just can't sign anymore players over 23, not sure what else was mentioned only caught the end of it.

All part of the AFLSA push to make the SANFL an under 23 feeder comp for the AFL.

I have been posting this thought for a couple of years and I truly believe AFL head office would love nothing more than to see all the state league completely change to this way

-salary caps
-blockbuster games
-finals
-free agency
-trade period
-draft combine
-drafts
-completely monopoly of the sport (NFL being used as the term people refer to when they describe the sport they play similar to AFL when it's Aussie rules football)

it was all going well until you mentioned a complete monopoly of the sport - college teams in both basketball and american football are bigger than the SANFL ever was and ever will be. even comparative to the afl
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Tassie Blues » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:22 pm

matt wrote:I've asked this before and pretty sure I didn't get a response but I think a true reflection on the state of the league would be membership figures 2014 v 2013. Anyone have them?

These numbers are from the clubs websites tonight so not sure how often they get updated. Ones as of 2oth March number are from and Advertiser article on this date. Sturt website is down ATM a bit like the on field performances. West has updated its website and I couldn’t find a current number.

Centrals
2012 - 2230
2013 – 2326
2014 – 1379 on 20 March

Glenelg
2012 - 3281
2013 – 2841
2014 – 2856

North
2012 - 2107
2013 – 2454
2014 – 2207

Norwood
2012 -2888
2013 – 3223
2014 – 3111

Port
2012 -4351
2013 – 5023
2014 – 3610 on 20 March or the one club is 50K+ (inc Pets)

South
2012 - 1450
2013 – 969
2014 – 760 on 20 March

Sturt
2012 - 2948
2013 – 3800
2014 – 3002 earlier in the year

West
2012 - 1851
2013 – 2770
2014 – 2942 earlier in the year.

WWT
2012 - 3643
2013 – 4275
2014 – 3361 on 20 March
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby StrayDog » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:56 am

Aerie wrote:There would almost always be a drop off when it turns crappy weather in winter, regardless of who is playing.

The numbers don't lie obviously, but it is definitely a different feel at the SANFL this year for me and a different atmosphere. Some games feel like the old times (last quarter vs Norwood at Woodville and the game against Sturt at Unley). The Crows games especially have a weird feeling. Plenty of people watching, but not a part of it.

There are different aspects of the SANFL that when all brought together make it a great "product". Some of those aspects have been taken away with the AFL Reserves entry and the zone change. Some have been taken away with the growth of the AFL competition in the last 5 or so years. Some have been taken away/added with the game style and governance of the game. Some of those aspects will always be there regardless of who plays in the competition. For me, I am finding out I need all of those aspects to want to buy a membership and season ticket and want to go every week.

This time in SANFL history isn't the first time significant aspects of the competition have changed or will change and people will drop off or add on and the competition and clubs will likely/hopefully go on. Just with different people.

The League's ultimate prize has always been the ultimate goal and focus of all clubs involved. Until now.

Some thoughtful points though.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby wild dog » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:10 am

Rising Power wrote:
wild dog wrote:So the Port Power reserves pretending to be the SANFL grand old Port Adelaide of old may make good theatre, but there are a substantial amount of people who see through it and think its a farce, corporate manipulation and false...

See this 'pretending' is what I don't get. How are they pretending? Everyone knows they're the Power's reserve side and the vast majority of Port supporters are happy with this being the case. There's nobody that I know of who's just thinking "wow, what a coincidence that all the Power players are aligned to the Magpies". Would you prefer that the club drops the magpies logo from all it's branding and wear the V in SANFL games? The black and white jumper and all before it, yes even the pink ones to the homophobes out there, are part of Port Adelaide's history so there is should be no issue with them wearing it in the SANFL. If they were to change to the V then fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the next SANFL flag is number 37 for the club. The club isn't 'pretending' anything, not trying to trick the old Magpies/anti-Power people out there into believing the SANFL team is the same as its been for 100+ years, it's obvious that the SANFL team runs under a new structure, different rules to the other 9 teams, etc etc etc, you'd have to be stupid to think otherwise. It is what it is, Port Adelaide Football Club in the AFL and SANFL and that's it. /rant

Rant all you like, Its the point of difference. If the Power reserves win an SANFL premiership, its not their 37th. It will be their first.

Stupid is as stupid does. Believe in the miracle of the Power reserves being the Port Adelaide, believe. Clever marketing, bit of sentiment and hey presto.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby wild dog » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:42 am

matt35 wrote:Oh Benny, stop hitting these poor people with facts, you're getting in the way of a more than 12 month sook! Oh, and if we want to talk about pies and pasties, yet somehow try to pretend the 9k who attended the Glenelg Crows game is somehow irrelevant, how many pies and pasties do we think were sold at that game?

Certainly in terms of crowds and interest in the competition, the no AFL in the SANFL argument has collapsed completely.

When Wendall Sailor made the switch from the Broncos to the Reds there was massive interest in his first club game from the Queensland Rugby public, who had been disappointed by years of underperforming and mediocrity. Similair scenario to this. Walker represented the great white hope for the Crows, a club which besides jagging a couple of premierships have continually underperformed in front of their captured adoring public.

You seem to forget the massive publicity machine that the AFL clubs generate in this state. If a normal SANFL round could achieve 25% of the available publicity you would be able to make some form of comparison.

The argument regarding crowds and interest has collapsed? No, its only the beginning. This is not a direct crowd number last year vs this year. Its much more complex. Start talking to the traditional clubs marketing managers, and get an idea of the struggle. Then you will understand what is collapsing.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby wild dog » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:51 am

bennymacca wrote:So crowds are down for a centrals west Adelaide game because of the crows and port Adelaide,...

For Centrals, in my opinion yes - the issue has been divisive.

bennymacca wrote:...and in no way related to the fact that they both suck this year. Makes sense.

Which means you haven't been to many Centrals games. You don't understand who is no longer attending. Yes there are bandwaggoners missing, but that is not the full story. Also you could say that with the lack of success that Centrals is having, why aren't the opposition crowds up. Why is sponsorship down. Why is attendance at Grand Centrals down.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:22 am

Pretty simply really, it's no longer a meaningful comp once two reserves teams were admitted.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:31 am

bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:All part of the AFLSA push to make the SANFL an under 23 feeder comp for the AFL.

-salary caps
-blockbuster games
-finals
-free agency
-trade period
-draft combine
-drafts

it was all going well until you mentioned a complete monopoly of the sport - college teams in both basketball and american football are bigger than the SANFL ever was and ever will be. even comparative to the afl

But the NFL show deference and respect to College and School football by playing few games on Fridays and Saturdays, whereas with virtually everything the AFL have ridden roughshod over the lower comps. Know there are some big differences that allow the NFL to be able to do this such as size of population and being an actual national sport and thus whilst there are competing sports, they are not competing against other football codes.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:48 am

Aerie wrote: There are different aspects of the SANFL that when all brought together make it a great "product". Some of those aspects have been taken away with the AFL Reserves entry and the zone change.

It's the vibe.

You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby stan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:57 am

Double ton. Well played boys.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby tipper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:00 am

stan wrote:Double ton. Well played boys.

its only the double on tapatalk.

on a browser there is twice as many posts per page so we are really only sitting on the single ton ;)
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby stan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:07 am

tipper wrote:

on a browser there is twice as many posts per page so we are really only sitting on the single ton ;)

Damn.....
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby tipper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:08 am

give it time
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:05 pm

tipper wrote:

Only 40 pages for me on tapatalk :)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:17 pm

bennymacca wrote:
tipper wrote:

Only 40 pages for me on tapatalk :)

Does tapatalk hide your own posts then?
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:19 pm

Nah if it wasn't for my posts there would be nothing good to read :)

(Set it to 50 posts per page in the settings)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby sjt » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Interesting article in today's advertiser quoting Roy Laird. Mentioning how playing the afl professionals is a real lottery, damaging the integrity of the sanfl. An example given was South played port with Port having 9 afl players, centrals faced them with 14. Also mentioned no team should have to face them with a shorter break, given their advantage of facilities and not having to work.
Spot on Roy, sticking up for the sanfl and the little integrity left.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Tech1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:32 pm

sjt wrote:Interesting article in today's advertiser quoting Roy Laird. Mentioning how playing the afl professionals is a real lottery, damaging the integrity of the sanfl. An example given was South played port with Port having 9 afl players, centrals faced them with 14. Also mentioned no team should have to face them with a shorter break, given their advantage of facilities and not having to work.
Spot on Roy, sticking up for the sanfl and the little integrity left.

Great to see someone respected standing up and saying what every SANFL fan is thinking. I still want that media release for what is going to change for next year, Rowe said it was ment to be released last week but since that little comment about what he heard. I've got a feeling there is going to be something in there to piss us off even more.

Question for you guys what would you be happy with? by the looks of it, both the crows and power wont be able to sign anyone over 23, only one year contract and only from South Australia. I'm wondering what happens to the currently listed players that are over 23, if they are only allowed to play out there current contracts or are not allowed to play next year for them. No mention if anything has changed about how long they have to be out of the SANFL before signing or how much they can pay them or if they can still have a leadership player. I'm all for bringing them esp the way port are structured this year back to the pack but i'd much prefer some more space in the salary cap to make the real SANFL clubs stronger. Oh and i still don't understand why we are allowing port to persist with this academy crap in our reserves, piss them off, not needed, waste of time.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL