Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:Few issues with part of the HV club wanting the club song changed I hear?

They don't have a song.

Their stupid chant was the only thing we could poke fun at while they were belting us off the park in the mid to late 90's and into the 2000s.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby afc9798 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:23 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Few issues with part of the HV club wanting the club song changed I hear?

They don't have a song.

Their stupid chant was the only thing we could poke fun at while they were belting us off the park in the mid to late 90's and into the 2000s.

To qualify, there is no issue, as per the constitution, a motion was put forward to change the song. That motion was defeated at a special general meeting. The guys love the fact that it's original unlike everyone else stealing other clubs songs and changing the lyrics. Could be worse, we could start worshipping the Cobra. And it's nice to be able to belt this out after a big win. Part of the tradition and it's not going away anytime soon.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby shoe boy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:14 pm

afc9798 wrote:

They don't have a song.

To qualify, there is no issue, as per the constitution, a motion was put forward to change the song. That motion was defeated at a special general meeting. The guys love the fact that it's original unlike everyone else stealing other clubs songs and changing the lyrics. Could be worse, we could start worshipping the Cobra. And it's nice to be able to belt this out after a big win. Part of the tradition and it's not going away anytime soon.

Surely not .
" I want to be a valley viking"
"I want to live a life of danger"
I love that song and the fact like ours it is original
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby MatteeG » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:31 pm

shoe boy wrote: like ours it is original

Please tell me if otherwise, but I always thought they took that song from the Bushpigs?

Might need @Dazza44 to confirm that!
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:48 pm

MatteeG wrote:

Please tell me if otherwise, but I always thought they took that song from the Bushpigs?

It is an adaptation of the US Navy Seals Cadence Count Chant, as original as any other club song.

Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Secondsquare » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:53 pm

Yes shoe boy I also heard from someone in the bar that the big full back left at half time when Brighton had only scored one point . And they stayed out doing drills during half time, that would have been embarrassing even though they only had bout five supporters at the game, I also noticed that tucker was named as coach , have the trench coat mafia struck again? Noarlunga looked the real deal and recruits were awesome whereas that svedloff from Brighton who is on money looked scared of the footy? Good to hear valley are playing good footy at right time of year and flaggies gaining smith gives a boost as there Mids are quality, but for me it's still a two horse race between The flies and shoes! Time will tell and injuries can play a part but would be surprised if there not at hickinbotham this year, cove have got quiet a few overseas at moment so they might get smacked buy noarlunga this week ,
Secondsquare

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Turbo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:07 pm

afc9798 wrote:

They don't have a song.

Feel the venom ;)
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:43 pm

shoe boy wrote:DTH not one official or player came in the club for a drink after the game ?

Also what happened to the big fella not coming back after half time?

Maybe Brighton where more concerned about the Shoes issues with Reynella oval than the actual opponent ;)

Howdy Shoe Boy. I arrived at half time due to lad playing at Rostrevor and when I saw a 2 on the board in the behinds section and nothing else I assumed we must have kicked a goal on the siren and that the attendant was still in the process of changing the goal tally. The big fella hurt a shoulder. I think it may have been a heavy landing on that ground that was way too hard for the first week in August. You guys are lucky we signed off on the ground report. ;)

We were outclassed by the Premiership favourite. Yes I know the Shoes lost to Reynella the week before but you had more scoring shots and no Minns, Johncock and maybe a few others. I thought we battled hard in second half but bad turnovers going forward cost us any chance of getting any respectability on the scoreboard. I actually went looking for you during the last half but couldn't find you. As far as not going into the club, the lads probably should have showed their face but we had a Quiz Night on Saturday night so that is the only excuse I can offer.

We have a massive game next week versus the Emu's.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby petoe » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Any word yet as to the set finals venues for this year?
Do Marion get a week one Saturday final again? Or will there be a change again or maybe a new venue who knows?
When do they release this?
petoe
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 pm

1 v 4 at Noarlunga, 2 v 3 at Marion, 5 v 8 at Porties, 6 v 7 at Bice (latter 2 on Sunday)
Week 2 - Porties on Sat, Aldinga on Sun
Week 3 - Bice on Sat, Noarlunga on Sun
GF - SAFC
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:47 pm

Why don't they ever play finals at Valley? Thought it would be a good ground with plenty of space for a big crowd?

On the HV song, there is a section of the club very unhappy with it...I personally dont see the big deal, but they are very passionate about it
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2325 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:49 pm

Too many unfenced entry points at HV for a 5 match Saturday comp finals day. They would have to do what Marion does and pay the SFL for the gate and then work with council to put up temporary fencing, arrange security, and run the gate themselves. Host club then rolls the dice with gate takings and profit from canteen, BBQ, grog sales etc. Probably a fair risk but a lot of work for a club that will normally have many of its teams in finals and with volunteers tied up with getting those teams on the park. All the other finals grounds are mostly fully secured and have the gates run by the SFL with all takings going to the SFL barring whatever the gatekeepers get paid. The very handsome annual finals gate takings go along way towards keeping SFL affiliation fees very reasonable.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:53 pm

Ah OK I was thinking why Marion and not HV, didnt realise Marion put up fencing.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2325 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby afc9798 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:46 am

Dutchy wrote:Why don't they ever play finals at Valley? Thought it would be a good ground with plenty of space for a big crowd?

On the HV song, there is a section of the club very unhappy with it...I personally dont see the big deal, but they are very passionate about it

There is no 'section' of the club very unhappy with it, there may be a few individuals. The motion was raised by one person as is their right and the motion was heavily defeated. It's a non issue and was dealt with under the constitution. I know people love to make mountains out of molehills where HVFC is concerned, but this is exactly that, a molehill. In the words of Led Zeppelin....'The Song Remains The Same'. At the game on Saturday, I cannot even recall a conversation about the meeting that was held on the Wednesday.

As for the finals venue, for all the work that would have to be done, it would be a massive distraction for the club whilst playing in finals and the area would be very difficult to police due to the number of potential entry areas. Not that hard to sneak into any ground if you really wanted to. Stilol think the SFL needs to review the way this is done as it is a very odd thing to remove home ground advantage to a higher finished team, but I guess it's jujst one of the quirks of the competition.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby Broken Down Hack » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:37 pm

MatteeG wrote:

The first time i heard this chant was in 1989 ..... ROOS u/18's came from 4 goals down against Valley to win in first game of season ... one off the lads had been to BALI and brought a t- shirt back with Bali ranger words on it ...words i can't write on hear ... the Roos C grade were about to come out the rooms when we sat back and listened .... funny as ..... that yr the Roos and Valley had some hugh games in that grade finishing with the Roos winning the flag over Valley by 2 points .... The Roos band the team from using the chant .... couple yrs later Happy Valley started using the chant with their words .... hey its different leave it be .....
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Broken Down Hack » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:39 pm

MatteeG wrote:

The first time i heard this chant was in 1989 ..... ROOS u/18's came from 4 goals down against Valley to win in first game of season ... one off the lads had been to BALI and brought a t- shirt back with Bali ranger words on it ...words i can't write on hear ... the Roos C grade were about to come out the rooms when we sat back and listened .... funny as ..... that yr the Roos and Valley had some hugh games in that grade finishing with the Roos winning the flag over Valley by 2 points .... The Roos band the team from using the chant .... couple yrs later Happy Valley started using the chant with their words .... hey its different leave it be ..... Flaggies have had about 3 different songs in 25 yrs, they did use this chant as well i think....
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby dogsrbarkin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Dutchy wrote:Ah OK I was thinking why Marion and not HV, didnt realise Marion put up fencing.

What about Hackams oval a lot of lads from down our way say that it is a great deck could they fence that
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Dazza44 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:44 am

Broken Down Hack wrote:
MatteeG wrote:

The first time i heard this chant was in 1989 ..... ROOS u/18's came from 4 goals down against Valley to win in first game of season ... one off the lads had been to BALI and brought a t- shirt back with Bali ranger words on it ...words i can't write on hear ... the Roos C grade were about to come out the rooms when we sat back and listened .... funny as ..... that yr the Roos and Valley had some hugh games in that grade finishing with the Roos winning the flag over Valley by 2 points .... The Roos band the team from using the chant .... couple yrs later Happy Valley started using the chant with their words .... hey its different leave it be ..... Flaggies have had about 3 different songs in 25 yrs, they did use this chant as well i think....

Well MatteeG, the Bushpigs certainly had it before Happy Valley ... but it certainly wasn't original ! I thought we pinched it from a chant that the Venturer Scouts used to use. I would think we were using it for 7 or so years before 1993, and some of the original words were really not for public consumption .... and I recall the SFL also banned Flaggies from using the song during finals at some stages before the words were modified :)

The song went by the wayside when we changed from Bushpigs to Falcons in 1993. I must admit that it does always grate with me & others who fondly remember the Bushpig days when I hear them sing it ...

I always thought that Valleys pinched it from us, but from what B D H says, maybe they pinched it from Morphies U18s ! No idea when they started using it, but can't have been much before 1990 (if even that early) so not sure how much "Tradition" it really carries ... although I guess the only real success for HVFC has come after that.
Dazza44
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Moe » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:48 am

Yes, the Morphy Parks Under 18's used it in 1989. I know because I was the guy who copped it from Billy Chester when we first sung it.
Yes, it is an adaption of the Venturer's chant used well before that.
Yes it was rude back then. "There was a girl that I loved best, I used to love to suck her br@*st,".
Not much of a football theme back then, but very apt for 17/18 year olds.
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby afc9798 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:22 am

Dazza44 wrote:
Broken Down Hack wrote:
MatteeG wrote:

Well MatteeG, the Bushpigs certainly had it before Happy Valley ... but it certainly wasn't original ! I thought we pinched it from a chant that the Venturer Scouts used to use. I would think we were using it for 7 or so years before 1993, and some of the original words were really not for public consumption .... and I recall the SFL also banned Flaggies from using the song during finals at some stages before the words were modified :)

The song went by the wayside when we changed from Bushpigs to Falcons in 1993. I must admit that it does always grate with me & others who fondly remember the Bushpig days when I hear them sing it ...

I always thought that Valleys pinched it from us, but from what B D H says, maybe they pinched it from Morphies U18s ! No idea when they started using it, but can't have been much before 1990 (if even that early) so not sure how much "Tradition" it really carries ... although I guess the only real success for HVFC has come after that.

Well the song lives on and we're happy to embrace it rather than be the 90th club to use the Tigers song around Australia. Interesting to hear the history of where it came from and just like you guys changed to the more pallatable 'Falcons' name and adopted the Norwood song, I guess tradition has to start somewhere. Been plenty of premierships celebrated with the song, so I guess that makes it all the more part of the fabric.
afc9798
Reserves

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL