SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:36 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Again, you're ignoring the many posts pointing out why this would be the case through the various threads on the topic. Wilfully? Blindly? I dunno.

So who are the rest of the supporters then? Sanfl fans that also have crows members tickets?

That's a possibility - if you are a Crows member and support a local team perhaps you are more likely to attend if its free - but you would attend wearing your SANFL club colours.

But overall I think the detail is confusing the argument.

The fact is there has been a steady decline in attendance for the past 15 years. This year will do nothing to change that - numbers will be similar to last year. However the $s for clubs will drop as some people are getting in for free who didn't use to.

The picture will become clearer when clubs report on their financial situation.
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby matt35 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:40 pm

@Benny

I suspect that is the case. In other words, these people would otherwise not go to SANFL games, rather just take a passive interest in their club, and maybe show up during the finals if their club is participating. Some of these people would bring kids. Kids want food and drink etc. So while these people aren't paying at the gate, at least some would be purchasing food and drink at the games. Creates the possibility of reengaging people who may have previously been regular SANFL followers. No negatives in that scenario.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby matt35 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:43 pm

Er, no, crowds are likely to be up this year! Good try! Also as I have said, the fact that the Crows are currently the most watched team in the SANFL suggests the opposite, that people are going who would not have otherwise gone.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:54 pm

bennymacca wrote:I still can't work out how there must be only 200 crows fans in attendance but yet the crowds are consistently higher than other games, some by thousands?

As I said in 90% of games the Crows support has been average according to people who have been there. As someone who has only missed a handfull of Norwood games in 30+ years you get a bit of an idea of opposition support at your home ground, can generally accept that Sturt, North and Glenelg fans get good numbers at the Parade where as West, South and the Eagles would usually attract around the 600-1000 at a estimate. At the Crows game earlier in the season I would have the Crows support on par with a West game and estimate approx 600-800 tops. I do personally know there were a heap of Norwood fans who turned up just to abuse and heckle the Crows, speaking to a few of them I doubt they will go next time, was just a bit of a novelty.
It wouldnt surprise me if Crows fans at some venues does only number 200-400 as alot of AFL supporters have no interest in reserves, only have to see Collingwood v Essendon drawing 1500 and Richmond v Collingwood drawing 1400 to realise that
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby tipper » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:16 pm

matt35 wrote:Er, no, crowds are likely to be up this year! Good try! Also as I have said, the fact that the Crows are currently the most watched team in the SANFL suggests the opposite, that people are going who would not have otherwise gone.

WOW, so the crowds are ever so slightly above last year, which was a record low... all hail the mighty afl reserves sides..... :oops:

the crowd figure is lower than 2012 which was still lower than the previous year. this years attendances is nothing special
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Wedgie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:54 pm

It would be the worst ever year for amount of paid customers through the gate comfortably. Throw in smaller numbers of members, a bigger bill for TV and less publicity especially in finals time and things aren't looking great. The reserves sides have definitely been a big step backwards and could potentially get worse as the novelty wears off. The only positives are no byes and the Crows having one less excuse for being sh!t.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:58 am

Wedgie wrote:It would be the worst ever year for amount of paid customers through the gate comfortably. Throw in smaller numbers of members, a bigger bill for TV and less publicity especially in finals time and things aren't looking great. The reserves sides have definitely been a big step backwards and could potentially get worse as the novelty wears off. The only positives are no byes and the Crows having one less excuse for being sh!t.

Pretty sound logic there Wedgeman!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby twosheds » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:10 am

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:It would be the worst ever year for amount of paid customers through the gate comfortably. Throw in smaller numbers of members, a bigger bill for TV and less publicity especially in finals time and things aren't looking great. The reserves sides have definitely been a big step backwards and could potentially get worse as the novelty wears off. The only positives are no byes and the Crows having one less excuse for being sh!t.

Pretty sound logic there Wedgeman!

x 2.

Also the crowd figures given for games I have been at seem a tad optimistic . ( Reserves sides proponents - don't bother with replies about "tin hats" or amazingly humorous ( to you only) putdowns,
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby UK Fan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:03 am

Lol at people a) surprised crows have the highest attendance
B) linking that with success to SANFL comp.

Clueless
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:24 am

Of course if people pay to come through the turnstyle there is a check between $s and numbers. If they get in for free it is possible to exaggerate those numbers without anyone being able to challenge. Not that anyone would have reason to do that, would they?
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:30 pm

Dutchy wrote:Dear Member

I want to thank all our members for supporting our State League team this year.

As it stands, we are the most supported team in the SANFL with 53,926 people having attended our 15 games. This figure puts us just ahead of Norwood (53,551) and well ahead of other teams in the League. Our average crowd has been 3,595 fans per game.

Our young team struggled early in the season, losing six of our first seven games. However, we’ve become much more competitive in the past eight games, winning five and losing three. Two of those losses have been by just six points. Importantly, the benefits of preparing our players to play AFL football have been significant.

I would love our Club to maintain the title as the best supported team in the SANFL.

So, I’m appealing to you to use your Crows members’ tickets to support our team this Saturday at 2.10pm v Glenelg at Gliderol Stadium.

Thanks again for your support so far this season and we hope to see you on Saturday!

GO CROWS!
Kind regards

Ian Callinan
State League Captain
Adelaide Football Club

What a load of wank !!!!

Apart from two games where some Crow supporters turned up its been pretty dismal attendances especially with free entry and a membership base of 50,000 or so.

Not to mention most of the supporters attending are SANFL Club supporters and not Crow supporters !!

Get Real !!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby dedja » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:31 pm

Would have been lucky to have 20 crows supporters at the Bay today.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby PhilH » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:02 pm

Crowds today
1,871 for Eagles v South at Woodville
2,131 for Central v Port at Elizabeth
2,627 for Glenelg v Adelaide at Glenelg
not sure about the other 2 matches, will find out tomorrow.
Last edited by PhilH on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby zipzap » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:03 pm

Smoke and mirrors. I'll eat my hat if crowds at Unley at least haven't been the lowest seen there in years
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby southee » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:07 pm

dedja wrote:Would have been lucky to have 20 crows supporters at the Bay today.

Yep ! Went past the bay oval today on the way to woodvillie and did not see one crow supporter on brighton road or in the car park.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby bennymacca » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:48 pm

Yet still way more people went there than the "traditional games"
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:57 pm

bennymacca wrote:Yet still way more people went there than the "traditional games"

Drop off of 7000 from the 1st time they played at the bay
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby matt35 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:04 pm

Haha wondered who'd be the first to clutch that straw! Not a bad crowd for 8th v bottom on a Saturday afternoon!
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Postby Hazydog » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:05 pm

PhilH wrote:Crowds today
1,871 for Eagles v South at Woodville
2,131 for Central v Port at Elizabeth
2,627 for Glenelg v Adelaide at Glenelg
not sure about the other 2 matches, will find out tomorrow.

By far the poorest turnout of Magpie supporters I have ever seen at Elizabeth today.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby matt35 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:09 pm

Crowds at Unley are well and truly up on last year!

As for today, by no means a big Crows presence, but they were dotted around the place. Couple of hundred or so! Actually made a bit of noise in the last quarter.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL