Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Dutchy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:29 am

I know valleys rarely hear it but the Flaggy song is now an adaption of the Norwood song, with our own local words added in.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:02 pm

Dutchy wrote:I know valleys rarely hear it but the Flaggy song is now an adaption of the Norwood song, with our own local words added in.

You mean the Sturt song
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:04 pm

afc9798 wrote:...rather than be the 90th club to use the Tigers song around Australia.

"We're dashing, we're gay, we're the pride of the Bay"
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby GO THE PUNT » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Didn't brighton have a song banned from the sfl in the early years dth?
GO THE PUNT
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Down the Hill » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:31 am

We are the boys from Brighton High do, da, do, da; which got switched to Brighton Rd post-merge is now confined to the bowels of history due to political correctness.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:08 am

Down the Hill wrote:We are the boys from Brighton High do, da, do, da; which got switched to Brighton Rd post-merge is now confined to the bowels of history due to political correctness.

What were the lyrics?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby petoe » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:10 am

So all the talk and focus early in the year was on Aldinga, and how bad they were/are, even got national media exposure, while meanwhile in the background fellow strugglers Lonsdale are deteriorating.
Where to for the lions now? 40 goal loss yesterday, no wins this year, the A grade have been low for years now and the b grade and depth is even worse. Have some junior teams but numbers seem a bit of a problem and also juniors who are not ready, are thrust into senior footy before they are ready through lack of numbers. What happened to Baxter? And when club icons like Gary Dean won't even come back it is worrying.
This is not a pot shot at the staff or volunteers, cause I think the club works very hard on all aspects, but maybe that's the problem as well, cause I don't see any progression and a dark future. What are peoples thoughts? Very tough situation for them.
petoe
Under 16s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby lion heart » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks Petoe we are well aware of where we are at and where we want to go. We have been in the bottom 3 for 4 years now and hardly made an impact since making 3 consecutive A grade finals series in 2006,07,08. A conscious decision was made at the end of 2012 season to concentrate on other areas rather than overpay recruits to merely try to win 3 or 4 games. Really there is bugger all difference between the bottom 3 clubs we are all struggling equally although I'd kill for their 3 wins or even just 1 right now.

Anyone that has been down to the club of late would've noticed that quite a bit has happened over the last 3 months and a heap more WILL happen before the start of next season. We have a good core group of senior players, some really good juniors coming through but we certainly need some help especially in key positions. Coming into the season we thought we were up for a better year but in the space of about 4 weeks suffered a huge blow losing Baxter to the mines, Ky Miller who we let out of contract to an offer 5 x ours to KNTFL and a few others who committed with them. From there it's been an uphill battle but we've shown a lot of heart pushed a lot of sides for a half or 3/4s but as the injuries mounted up and our lack of depth was exposed our results have deteriorated. The footy gods have definitely not smiled upon us either losing our CHF & CHB in the same collision which saw them both break bones and end their seasons. The Crawf game was a distraction we didn't need and lost a few in the wake of that loss also but we chose to give the experience to some young men who will help take our club forward in the future. That day will hold them in good stead.

Although putting 2 senior teams on the park has been a battle of late the spirit is still there and a greater bunch of people you never will meet. The club is in the best position it has been off field since the merger hopefully that can start translating to on field but that will still take a lot of hard work and perseverance. Overall It's been a bloody tough year but a lot of reason for optimism. We don't accept our results this season, it will burn in our guts and we will fight hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Top post...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby GO THE PUNT » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Yep that's the one dth. Ahh what a song.
GO THE PUNT
Rookie

Postby MatteeG » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:49 am

lion heart wrote:Although putting 2 senior teams on the park has been a battle of late the spirit is still there and a greater bunch of people you never will meet. The club is in the best position it has been off field since the merger hopefully that can start translating to on field but that will still take a lot of hard work and perseverance. Overall It's been a bloody tough year but a lot of reason for optimism. We don't accept our results this season, it will burn in our guts and we will fight hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Can I add Lion Heart that your staff in the canteen/clubrooms are top shelf- made my little fella (4) feel right at home on Saturday.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby afc9798 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:33 pm

Well it's an interesting run home for a few clubs in the next two weeks. Morphett Vale in particular are going to have to pull one out of the box to guarantee a top 4 position. Based on current form and the remaining draw, the following is the most likely scenario for those six teams battling for 4 spots at the top.

Noarlunga to play Emus and Roos. Likely scenario 2-0 leaving them top of the table with 32 points and on top by %
Reynella to play Towns and Emus. Likely scenario 2-0 leaving them second on % with no real chance to close that % sufficiently.
Porties to play Christies and Marion. Likely scenario 2-0 leaving them third with 30 points
Vikings to play Roos and Towns. Likely scenario 2-0 leaving them fourth with 28 points
Emus to play Shoes and Wineflies. Likely scenario 0-2 on 28 points and falling to sixth
Falcons to play Rams and Saints. Likely scenario 2-0 on 26 points and climbing to fifth.

Looks like the top 4 is relatively safe, but certainly won't underestimate the ability of the Emus to cause an upset in one or both of those games. Brighton have Hackham and Cove, so should hold their spot in the 8 comfortably, as I can't see Christies beating Porties or Falcons. So final 8 most likely finishes:
1. Noarlunga
2. Reynella
3. Port Noarlunga
4. Happy Valley
5. Flagstaff Hill
6. Morphett Vale
7. Brighton
8. Morphettville Park

so first week of finals would be:

Noarlunga vs Happy Valley
Reynella vs Port Noarlunga
Flagstaff Hill vs Morphettville Parl
Morphett Vale vs Brighton

Not a bad group of 4 matches there.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Peter Griffen » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:55 pm

If Reynella are set in 2nd/3rd I could see them resting a few against Morphett Vale considering it's also a Sunday game.
Peter Griffen
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:19 pm

MatteeG wrote:
shoe boy wrote: like ours it is original

Please tell me if otherwise, but I always thought they took that song from the Bushpigs?

Might need @Dazza44 to confirm that!

I believe a former Broadview player who played at Happy Valley during the 90's may have introduced the song. I could be wrong. Has been our club song since 1984-85
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby MZ » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:39 pm

1. Noarlunga
2. Reynella
3. Port Noarlunga
4. Happy Valley
5. Flagstaff Hill
6. Morphett Vale
7. Brighton
8. Morphettville Park

The MV v Brighton game would be interesting as I heard numerous MV supporters and a couple of players sledge along the lines of "How does it feel not making finals" in the final throws of last weekends 8 point game.

I thought to myself - what are they thinking! Karma has a way........ Maybe just their maths isn't too good! :D
MZ
Mini-League

Postby afc9798 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:07 am

MZ wrote:
1. Noarlunga
2. Reynella
3. Port Noarlunga
4. Happy Valley
5. Flagstaff Hill
6. Morphett Vale
7. Brighton
8. Morphettville Park

The MV v Brighton game would be interesting as I heard numerous MV supporters and a couple of players sledge along the lines of "How does it feel not making finals" in the final throws of last weekends 8 point game.

I thought to myself - what are they thinking! Karma has a way........ Maybe just their maths isn't too good! :D

Well you'd only need one hand to count the BDOS supporters! ;) A bit of spice in the first final makes it interesting, although I would say that MV should start red hot favourites.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby mrp2626 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:15 pm

Should be an interesting finals series.... I'd say Noarlunga are the team to beat. But I can see any of the top 8 getting up on any given day Vs each other. I would say depth will come into play as some teams will no doubt get injuries.

On to this weeks Tips.

Cove Vs Aldinga - cove by 15 goals
Brighton Vs Hackham - I think our boys are going to want to prove a point after the draw last meeting, bombers by 34 points
Christies V Porties - Porties will get the chocolates, margin will depend on personell available, but id say 47 points
Valleys Vs Morphy Park - Valleys @ home, but MOrphys will push them, as a lot to play for for them. Valleys by 18 points (GAME OF ROUND)
Marion V Flaggies - Flaggies to kick a huge bag and get plenty of goal kicking practice.
Noarlunga V Morphett Vale - Shoes @ home are a tough ask any year, but they are in good form atm I'd say Shoes by 60 points
Reynella V Townies - Wouldnt be surprised if Reynella rested a few here and still won by a lot. Reynella by 74 points
mrp2626
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby jet-airport » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:27 am

mrp2626 wrote:Should be an interesting finals series.... I'd say Noarlunga are the team to beat. But I can see any of the top 8 getting up on any given day Vs each other. I would say depth will come into play as some teams will no doubt get injuries.

On to this weeks Tips.

Cove Vs Aldinga - cove by 15 goals
Brighton Vs Hackham - I think our boys are going to want to prove a point after the draw last meeting, bombers by 34 points
Christies V Porties - Porties will get the chocolates,margin will depend on personell available[/color], but id say 47 points
Valleys Vs Morphy Park - Valleys @ home, but MOrphys will push them, as a lot to play for for them. Valleys by 18 points (GAME OF ROUND)
Marion V Flaggies - Flaggies to kick a huge bag and get plenty of goal kicking practice.
Noarlunga V Morphett Vale - Shoes @ home are a tough ask any year, but they are in good form atm I'd say Shoes by 60 points
Reynella V Townies - Wouldnt be surprised if Reynella rested a few here and still won by a lot. Reynella by 74 points

Shoes posters !!!!!.......... Have a couple of players created some mischief recently and are unavailable this week????? bit of noise getting around surrounding the recruits..... :shock:
Last edited by jet-airport on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby mrp2626 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:17 am

I actually have no idea what you're talking about Jet?! All i know is that a couple, in particular Tedmanson has only played a few games because of working away. That is what I was referring to. But yours sounds much more intriguing! haha
mrp2626
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby jet-airport » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:19 am

mrp2626 wrote:I actually have no idea what you're talking about Jet?! All i know is that a couple, in particular Tedmanson has only played a few games because of working away. That is what I was referring to. But yours sounds much more intriguing! haha

Sorry mrp..... Shoes not Porties... :oops:
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL