Round 16 - Central v Port @ Playford Alive Oval (Sat 9/8)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 16 - Central v Port @ Playford Alive Oval (Sat 9/8

Postby wild dog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:23 am

westcoastpanther wrote:Softest free ever!!

Gotta love bitter south supporters.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby westcoastpanther » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:09 pm

wild dog wrote:

WTF would I be bitter??

I just watched the footage out if interest, and as a neutral can say it was pathetic and I hate how games are decided like this. Nothing in it, and if your one that believes if your running back with the flight to spoil it should be an automatic free, you have no idea. This shits me no end, when defenders do it well but get penalised anyway. You an umpire?
Last edited by westcoastpanther on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby RustyCage » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:10 pm

cennals05 wrote:

It's OK because Ports second to last goal came after a clear mark was not paid to Centrals, so it all evens out in the end.

The one the non officiating umpire called play on because it was touched off the boot?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby smac » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Given the way the Port players weren't remonstrating with the umpire over a free kick that would cost them the game, I highly doubt it was contentious at all.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby cennals05 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:35 pm

RustyCage wrote:
cennals05 wrote:

It's OK because Ports second to last goal came after a clear mark was not paid to Centrals, so it all evens out in the end.

The one the non officiating umpire called play on because it was touched off the boot?

No definitely wasn't that one. Prior took a mark and it came out when he hit the ground. He was on the ground for a while afterwards because he got collected by the Port player coming in from the front.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:46 pm

From that footage it's impossible to know if there was high contact or not, but the umpire was in good position.

Probably missed two free's in the lead up to that. Sam Gray caught high when on the ground in front of the Port bench, then Mason Shaw getting tackled and putting the ball on the ground moments later should have been holding the ball.

Anywho, you get to 7 goals down at half time you don't really deserve to win.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby cennals05 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:53 pm

Booney wrote:From that footage it's impossible to know if there was high contact or not, but the umpire was in good position.

Probably missed two free's in the lead up to that. Sam Gray caught high when on the ground in front of the Port bench, then Mason Shaw getting tackled and putting the ball on the ground moments later should have been holding the ball.

Anywho, you get to 7 goals down at half time you don't really deserve to win.

I thought the Sam Gray one was a free as well. Wasn't complaining when the umpire didn't pay it though. :D
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby StrayDog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:15 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:
wild dog wrote:

WTF would I be bitter??

I just watched the footage out if interest, and as a neutral can say it was pathetic and I hate how games are decided like this. Nothing in it, and if your one that believes if your running back with the flight to spoil it should be an automatic free, you have no idea. This shits me no end, when defenders do it well but get penalised anyway. You an umpire?

Don't worry, the feeling passes, just think happy thoughts.

Oh, and it was footage of the last four minutes of four quarters of footy. Of course, there couldn't possibly have been any other disputable calls throughout the game that resulted in or denied a possible score, either way.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby RustyCage » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:20 pm

Was hoping Beimans was going to trip the Centrals player up to prevent the kick into the forward lines but he just missed him
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:22 pm

Crowd 2,139
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Jimmy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:21 pm

wild dog wrote:
Jimmy wrote:Sounded like a classic game. Port really coming back to the pack. Now that last free kick, was it there? The footage didn't show anything like a free kick should have been given...maybe I missed something but just looked like a normal contest...

So you are saying that it wasn't a free kick. I don't know how you can make that assessment. Port bench are almost on the ground and are signalling to flood Centrals forward line. Waldhutter left on his own, takes the gamble and goes for the run and long kick to Jenner. Two Port defenders facing the opposite way to the ball coming in trying to spoil - should be an immediate free kick anyway. The mark is hard to work out - did Jenner have his hand in front of the third Port defender and hook it back? Certainly Port defender (sam Russell) is in the better position falling back with the original flight of the ball but at no time does he have any control. Jenner knows where the ball is and on the second grab controls the ball and brings it to ground. Russell still falling back with what he thought was the flight of the ball. Jenner lands on Russells outstretched leg. Russell dives back in with 2 other defenders. All have their backs to the camera, Jenner lurches forward and umpire is in perfect position for once. Port players don't remonstrate.

Port may be coming back to the pack, but there is no doubt this Centrals team has found its straps. Since going down to Sturt at home by 52 points followed by a 13 point loss to port at Alberton in round 9, Centrals only loss was to Norwood on a wet night. Beating your lot on your cow paddock with 2 men down in the first half, and this win with Ports normal dirty tricks, shows some real determination. We still probably don't deserve a finals berth based on how bad we were in the first half of the season, but if we get there we will give it a shake.

Not at all, just asked the question. By others reports, probably could have been called play on, paid a mark (which I think one of the commentators said too) or with the umpire in good position, paid a free. Based on that, my post was reasonable. You still seem excited about the win so will excuse the rest of your post. I will agree though that the dogs seem to be playing better footy now along with Norwood and if they make the finals, could get past the elimination final.

I will agree with wcp though, that this running back with the footy thing shouldn't be an automatic free kick, this isn't the afl you know.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Jimmy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:22 pm

Gozu wrote:Crowd 2,139

Dismal crowd...where we're they all? Missed a cracker!
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:30 pm

I agree. From the footage anyway. Still a good job to nail the goal.

I'm now going for a exorcism. Agreeing with WCP always needs a soul cleansing.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:31 pm

I'm wondering what the "normal dirty tricks" were that we pulled. ( Of course, being a "new" club I can't see how we would have any "normal" tricks )

Tied their shoe laces together? Took the wind sock down?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Booney wrote:I'm wondering what the "normal dirty tricks" were that we pulled. ( Of course, being a "new" club I can't see how we would have any "normal" tricks )

Marbles on the ground?
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Postby wild dog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:14 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:
wild dog wrote:

WTF would I be bitter??

I don't know. South supporter commenting on a CD vs Port Power reserves game, not being able to see the ball nor the incident while the ump is in the perfect position and saying its the softest free ever. Not being able to say where's your premiership. Who knows.

I have no problem during a one on one challenge when the defender may turn the other direction during the spoiling action, as long as its with the flight of the ball. Running face on and then jumping - no way. In this case at 3:11 on the replay the 2 defenders are facing away from the ball and attempting to spoil (after misjudging the flight) while the third defender is competing with Jenner; you think that's ok? Im not sure if Jenner did not mark it by getting his hand beneath the ball. More likely though its a blunder by Russell, ironically because the 2 defenders obstructed his view.

No matter, Jenner appears to be the most in control of the situation. If in the panic of the blunder the 3 defenders have manhandled Jenner high, its his free.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:26 pm

The old "running face on and jumping rule". ;)

The free wasn't paid in the marking contest, so the umpire agrees with us, there's no infringement from the players while the ball is in the air.

The free is paid when the ball and players are on the ground for too high.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby wild dog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:42 pm

Jimmy wrote:
wild dog wrote:
Jimmy wrote:Sounded like a classic game. Port really coming back to the pack. Now that last free kick, was it there? The footage didn't show anything like a free kick should have been given...maybe I missed something but just looked like a normal contest...

So you are saying that it wasn't a free kick. I don't know how you can make that assessment. Port bench are almost on the ground and are signalling to flood Centrals forward line. Waldhutter left on his own, takes the gamble and goes for the run and long kick to Jenner. Two Port defenders facing the opposite way to the ball coming in trying to spoil - should be an immediate free kick anyway. The mark is hard to work out - did Jenner have his hand in front of the third Port defender and hook it back? Certainly Port defender (sam Russell) is in the better position falling back with the original flight of the ball but at no time does he have any control. Jenner knows where the ball is and on the second grab controls the ball and brings it to ground. Russell still falling back with what he thought was the flight of the ball. Jenner lands on Russells outstretched leg. Russell dives back in with 2 other defenders. All have their backs to the camera, Jenner lurches forward and umpire is in perfect position for once. Port players don't remonstrate.

Port may be coming back to the pack, but there is no doubt this Centrals team has found its straps. Since going down to Sturt at home by 52 points followed by a 13 point loss to port at Alberton in round 9, Centrals only loss was to Norwood on a wet night. Beating your lot on your cow paddock with 2 men down in the first half, and this win with Ports normal dirty tricks, shows some real determination. We still probably don't deserve a finals berth based on how bad we were in the first half of the season, but if we get there we will give it a shake.

Not at all, just asked the question. By others reports, probably could have been called play on, paid a mark (which I think one of the commentators said too) or with the umpire in good position, paid a free. Based on that, my post was reasonable. You still seem excited about the win so will excuse the rest of your post. I will agree though that the dogs seem to be playing better footy now along with Norwood and if they make the finals, could get past the elimination final.

I will agree with wcp though, that this running back with the footy thing shouldn't be an automatic free kick, this isn't the afl you know.

What other reports?

Excuse the rest of the post. What the bit about beating you lot on your cow paddock? :lol:

I agree that Running back with the footy attempting to spoil shouldn't be an automatic free kick if you are competing for the ball and turning with the ball being within reach. At 3:11 two defenders turn about with no eyes for the ball to spoil. Probably because they misjudged the trajectory. Understandable from young kids, and in their enthusiasm are doing all they can to spoil. Ironically helped to put Russell off. Certainly not the worst I've seen and I'm not bothered about it not being called. Just pointing out the clumsiness of the defensive effort, and the subsequent desperate scramble.

Then they all jump about Jenner to retrieve the ball. You cant see what's happening and your saying, based on your other reports, that its probably not a free, but your Just asking the question. Well I'm answering your question, and saying based on the evidence and the umpire being directly in front, it probably was a free.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby wild dog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:44 pm

Booney wrote:The old "running face on and jumping rule". ;)

The free wasn't paid in the marking contest, so the umpire agrees with us, there's no infringement from the players while the ball is in the air.

The free is paid when the ball and players are on the ground for too high.

Agreed.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby wild dog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:46 pm

Booney wrote:I'm wondering what the "normal dirty tricks" were that we pulled. ( Of course, being a "new" club I can't see how we would have any "normal" tricks )

:lol: Not bad. Wind sock has some holes in it and looks a tad tired.
wild dog
Under 18s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL