SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Postby maxyoz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Dog Day Afternoon wrote:I wonder how many Crows members are lending their tickets to their mates who are SANFL regulars thus robbing the clubs of revenue?

Im surprised this hasnt been mentioned more in these conversations

It happened at Prospect a few weeks ago and the guy tried to hand them back after the game, albeit it clumsily.
Punk Rooster wrote:I can't believe that a topic that is quite clearly trolling has elicited a 3 page response....
maxyoz
Under 18s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 36 times
Grassroots Team: Kimba Districts

Postby Aerie » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:21 pm

Gravel wrote:I am really not sure why some people get so upset at Crows members getting in for free. AAMI/AO members have had 4 free SANFL games as part of their membership package for years and years and all kids under 18 get into SANFL games for free. The more people at the games the better IMO.

I agree, the more people at games the better.

Possibly people get upset because while Crows members are getting in for free SANFL fans are paying more. A rise from $8 to $14 over several years and this season a season ticket for 18 games was the same price as a season ticket for 20 games last year.

The weekly attendees will pay their own way under usual circumstances, but it would be fair to say that the changes that have occurred have lessened the enthusiasm many regulars have for the competition.

It remains to be seen whether the shift of competition to a "wider audience" will end up generating a better outcome for the SANFL.

It could be argued, with 36,000 to last years Grand Final, that there was already a wider audience engaged.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:28 pm

RB wrote:The free admission worked so well in the WAFL...

Ditto the VFL
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby zipzap » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:09 pm

Gravel wrote:I am really not sure why some people get so upset at Crows members getting in for free. AAMI/AO members have had 4 free SANFL games as part of their membership package for years and years and all kids under 18 get into SANFL games for free. The more people at the games the better IMO.

Laying the foundations of acceptance for Powerpies free entry next year...
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:16 am

Adelaide Oval members get 6 plus games at Adelaide Oval. They are counted by the AFL as members of the Crows, Port or both.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby wild dog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Booney wrote: As for the 'Lizbeth crowd I'm not surprised, many of the most vocal anti-AFL folks on here are Centrals supporters and I'd imagine it's got through to their mates as well. Boycott I say! Boycott!

Just shy of 2500 per game for the weekend.

Yes, well 2137 isn't a bad turn out considering many are boycotting and of those that did turn up, 3/4 of the crowd would most likely have been supporters of that very team. The visiting team's numbers would have been much greater had its National League side not been playing in Adelaide later that day.

75/25 split, would be similar to most games at Elizabeth regardless of opponent.

25% visitor crowds at Elizabeth - only rarely that high. That's why we know its the home crowd that's not turning up.

The club was damned either way. The fact that Roy Laird still comes out publically to give real reasons why the current set up is unfair should be reason enough to stick with the club.

As for last Saturdays crowd, the Western side had a fair sprinkling of magpie supporters but they were quiet.

On a side note we noticed that the indigenous community turned out to support the magpies in force. It was fantastic to have that type of turn out, and the magpies should be congratulated on garnering that support. It really is a positive for Port Adelaide to have that sort of following.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I think it would be a little less than that for sides like Norwood, Sturt, North and Port in the past - try 65/35.
wild dog wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Booney wrote: As for the 'Lizbeth crowd I'm not surprised, many of the most vocal anti-AFL folks on here are Centrals supporters and I'd imagine it's got through to their mates as well. Boycott I say! Boycott!

Just shy of 2500 per game for the weekend.

Yes, well 2137 isn't a bad turn out considering many are boycotting and of those that did turn up, 3/4 of the crowd would most likely have been supporters of that very team. The visiting team's numbers would have been much greater had its National League side not been playing in Adelaide later that day.

75/25 split, would be similar to most games at Elizabeth regardless of opponent.

25% visitor crowds at Elizabeth - only rarely that high. That's why we know its the home crowd that's not turning up.

The club was damned either way. The fact that Roy Laird still comes out publically to give real reasons why the current set up is unfair should be reason enough to stick with the club.

As for last Saturdays crowd, the Western side had a fair sprinkling of magpie supporters but they were quiet.

On a side note we noticed that the indigenous community turned out to support the magpies in force. It was fantastic to have that type of turn out, and the magpies should be congratulated on garnering that support. It really is a positive for Port Adelaide to have that sort of following.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby fester69 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:14 am

Surely after yesterday's match at Alberton Norwood are back on top of the "attendance" ladder.
fester69
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby PhilH » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:39 pm

You were only 2nd for 1 week.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby fester69 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:48 pm

And because they get the same crowd number as we do this week we can't be overtaken.
fester69
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby saintal » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:04 am

With the regular season now complete, would it be possible for somebody with the data to post the average home crowds for each club etc. (with comparsion to last season). Thanks in advance..
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:52 am

saintal wrote:With the regular season now complete, would it be possible for somebody with the data to post the average home crowds for each club etc. (with comparsion to last season). Thanks in advance..

South had an increase? Good season for many years and playing finals. Beaten each opposition at least 1 time during the minor round. Ran out of beer last weekend v Sturt.

Sturt should be slightly up as well. Winning game of footy helps.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:02 pm

I'm predicting >10,000 this week.

Looking forward to a good night at the Footy. Really enjoyed the Anzac Day clash. Nice to be able to sit in the Sir Don stand.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby saintal » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:22 pm

heater31 wrote:
saintal wrote:With the regular season now complete, would it be possible for somebody with the data to post the average home crowds for each club etc. (with comparsion to last season). Thanks in advance..

South had an increase? Good season for many years and playing finals. Beaten each opposition at least 1 time during the minor round. Ran out of beer last weekend v Sturt.

Yeah, would imagine so. Some of the crowds last year were dreadful, party due to a fair dose of crap weather. So shouldn't be difficult to top last year's average. And yep, beat each genuine opposition at least once.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:08 pm

wristwatcher wrote:I'm predicting >10,000 this week.

Looking forward to a good night at the Footy. Really enjoyed the Anzac Day clash. Nice to be able to sit in the Sir Don stand.

Hope you are right.
Still not sure running up against local footy finals is the way to go. Spoke to several people of the last few days who either are playing or volunteering during finals this week and probably will miss the early game or arrive late.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:25 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Hope you are right.
Still not sure running up against local footy finals is the way to go. Spoke to several people of the last few days who either are playing or volunteering during finals this week and probably will miss the early game or arrive late.

Admittedly our As have the week off affording a large group of us the ability to attend but that won't be the case the following week when we host finals and a club function so I do see your point.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 pm

It should, SACA members get in for free. Adelaide Oval Football members get in for free and Adelaide Oval is a lot more attractive a proposition for neutrals than Footy Pk and there's still an element of novelty there.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:55 pm

Wedgie wrote:

It should, SACA members get in for free. Adelaide Oval Football members get in for free and Adelaide Oval is a lot more attractive a proposition for neutrals than Footy Pk and there's still an element of novelty there.

I didn't know SACA members were free, that will help double the size of our group
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:40 pm

From memory there was around 12k on Anzac Day. You would think 4 clubs playing should be able to easily eclipse that figure.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Big Phil » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:24 pm

JK wrote:From memory there was around 12k on Anzac Day. You would think 4 clubs playing should be able to easily eclipse that figure.

It was just over 10K, from memory of the figures we got from the SANFL ground staff...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL