Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon 2014

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:42 pm

and the anti doping rules state a list of banned and acceptable substances. anything not on the list is counted as banned (which is likely what has happened here)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby smac » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:45 pm

And they'll cop a whack for it, if that is the final finding.

The anti doping rules also state there is a prescribed method for investigations - they should be made to follow it.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby JK » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:56 pm

smac wrote:And they'll cop a whack for it, if that is the final finding.

The anti doping rules also state there is a prescribed method for investigations - they should be made to follow it.

Absolutely, don't disagree with that.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby RustyCage » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:56 pm

I don't care what the afl did leak or say to people or what Andy D did or didn't know, they aren't the ones who did the wrong thing.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby JK » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:58 pm

RustyCage wrote:I don't care what the afl did leak or say to people or what Andy D did or didn't know, they aren't the ones who did the wrong thing.

Well they are, they're just not the only ones
FUSC
JK
Coach

Essendon 2014

Postby RustyCage » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:15 pm

In the scale of wrongness it's:

Essendon

Any one else

The fallout for the other people should come after essendon and their people have been dealt with.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby smac » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Everything has a time.
smac
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Twitter feed is great. Im not sure if I have ever heard his many "I do not recalls"
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:26 pm

stan wrote:Twitter feed is great. Im not sure if I have ever heard his many "I do not recalls"

Aurora "Alzheimers" Andruska.
She was shocking today
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby lebron » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 pm

But treat it like any criminal case. Yes, Essendon appears to have done the wrong thing, but if the evidence/investigation was 'illegal' or marred with inconsistencies, Essendon should/will get away with it. Example, Police arrest a person for a break and enter, however DNA was obtained unlawfully from the suspect and when interviewed, he made admissions but wasn't read his rights appropriately. Court will rule DNA and interview is inadmissable. I have a feeling a lot of evidence and interviews will be inadmissable as a result of these current hearings!
lebron
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby JK » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:36 pm

lebron wrote:But treat it like any criminal case. Yes, Essendon appears to have done the wrong thing, but if the evidence/investigation was 'illegal' or marred with inconsistencies, Essendon should/will get away with it. Example, Police arrest a person for a break and enter, however DNA was obtained unlawfully from the suspect and when interviewed, he made admissions but wasn't read his rights appropriately. Court will rule DNA and interview is inadmissable. I have a feeling a lot of evidence and interviews will be inadmissable as a result of these current hearings!

Apparently ASADA can re-investigate though if the court throws the first one out? (or ASADA are bluffing, which is highly plausible)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby lebron » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:51 pm

I would think a challenge to the High Court on the grounds of it being unconstitutional for the reasons of 'double jeopardy' would be a short hearing in Essendon/James Hird/the players favour.

On another note, I'm happy people are standing up to the dictatorship of the AFL for once. Hopefully soon we'll see umpires judged fairly and held accountable, a journalist stick it to Malthouse and Bruce McAvaney told to leave commentating!
lebron
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Red Rocket » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:53 pm

bennymacca wrote:and the anti doping rules state a list of banned and acceptable substances. anything not on the list is counted as banned (which is likely what has happened here)

Thymosin Beta 4 is the only drug they are being linked to.
They dont have a case to answer for AOD as ASADA have confirmed it was legal at the time
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby smac » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:57 pm

lebron wrote:I would think a challenge to the High Court on the grounds of it being unconstitutional for the reasons of 'double jeopardy' would be a short hearing in Essendon/James Hird/the players favour.

On another note, I'm happy people are standing up to the dictatorship of the AFL for once. Hopefully soon we'll see umpires judged fairly and held accountable, a journalist stick it to Malthouse and Bruce McAvaney told to leave commentating!

No, in this instance they just start again.
smac
Coach

Postby Red Rocket » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:02 pm

RustyCage wrote:I don't care what the afl did leak or say to people or what Andy D did or didn't know, they aren't the ones who did the wrong thing.

But two wrongs dont make a right.
Whilst I admit I cant stand that arrogant knob Hird he is entitled to a fair and just trial. In this great country of ours even murderers are afforded this luxury. Evidence must be obtained correctly and the correct process must be followed. We sometimes see guilty people let off due to technicalities or correct proceedures not being followed, if ASADA/AFL have acted unlawfully then the case should be thrown out.
If they have done everything correctly and the club is guilty then by all means throw the book at Hird and the club.
My gut feeling is it will be a slight win for Essendon but the judge will decide that the SC notices are legal and the club must face the music.
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Postby Red Rocket » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:06 pm

smac wrote:
lebron wrote:I would think a challenge to the High Court on the grounds of it being unconstitutional for the reasons of 'double jeopardy' would be a short hearing in Essendon/James Hird/the players favour.

I dont think they will start again.
The money spent by ASADA has blown out and the government doesnt have the funds to give ASADA anymore.
I think we will see some political power play with the Libs whacking Labor over the way the whole thing was handled and even a parliamentary enquiry perhaps. Can see the Libs cutting the purse strings and even scaling down ASADA especially after Andruska's debacle today
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:27 pm

Red Rocket wrote:
bennymacca wrote:and the anti doping rules state a list of banned and acceptable substances. anything not on the list is counted as banned (which is likely what has happened here)

They dont have a case to answer for AOD as ASADA have confirmed it was legal at the time

really? as far as i am aware it came out the other day that AOD9604 has been deemed safe for human use in the US, but that wasnt the case when they were using it, and in any event is explicitly named as banned by the AFL

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/d ... a3a8524d21
bennymacca
Coach

Postby smac » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:47 pm

Red Rocket wrote:
smac wrote:

I dont think they will start again.
The money spent by ASADA has blown out and the government doesnt have the funds to give ASADA anymore.
I think we will see some political power play with the Libs whacking Labor over the way the whole thing was handled and even a parliamentary enquiry perhaps. Can see the Libs cutting the purse strings and even scaling down ASADA especially after Andruska's debacle today

That may be how it plays out politically, I was referring to what would happen under the current process.
smac
Coach

Postby Red Rocket » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:17 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:

really? as far as i am aware it came out the other day that AOD9604 has been deemed safe for human use in the US, but that wasnt the case when they were using it, and in any event is explicitly named as banned by the AFL

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/d ... a3a8524d21

Yes that was released not long ago.
The AFL has just recently banned AOD9604 aswell as several other peptides but it wasnt banned at the time Essendon used it. The ACC report last year referred to it as not being on WADA's banned list at the time and Dank's show cause notice had no mention of AOD9604 or any drug apart from Thymosin Beta 4. Several other ex players have revealed that their SC notices have no mention of AOD9604 either
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:45 pm

interesting.

seems to be that this whole saga has dragged on for so long, but yet we still really have no idea what will happen
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL