SANFL scheduling - First week of finals announced

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL scheduling - First week of finals announced

Postby gossipgirl » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:25 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
LPH wrote:I raised this very question to Kurt Slaven @ the "Information Meeting" last year.
His response was an emphatic: "No, the date for the Grand Final will not be moved, it will remain in October".

Integrity? Compromise?

Pfft...
Season 2014 has proved one thing: the SANFL will bend over & do whatever their overlords want them to.
AFLSA is only a short distance away :(

you mean 1991
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1433 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:31 pm

bennymacca wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:What a crock of shit. Like they considered this a possibility when they decided to bring the finals forward.
Surely the SANFL and the fans would want to play at AO. Prestige, media coverage, reward for the team and the players and an opportunity for the players to get a game on AO, all swept away due to inept planning.

Personally I couldn't give a rats sack about the AFL or if either the Crows or Power make the finals. As an SANFL fan I'd want my team to get a crack at playing finals at AO.

so are you going to magic up a 4 day weekend so they can all play?

come on mate. of course this wouldnt be the ideal scenario but they have to work with what they have got.

i think starting the season 1 week later could be a good way to go, because it lessens the chance of clashes happening.

I know what the issue is. My point is that this scenario should have been considered before they decided to move SANFL finals. Had they left them to be played when they have been traditionally played then we wouldn't have to make the best of a bad job.

Tradition does seem to be an outdated idea at the SANFL these days though.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Hazydog » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:40 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:What a crock of shit. Like they considered this a possibility when they decided to bring the finals forward.
Surely the SANFL and the fans would want to play at AO. Prestige, media coverage, reward for the team and the players and an opportunity for the players to get a game on AO, all swept away due to inept planning.

Personally I couldn't give a rats sack about the AFL or if either the Crows or Power make the finals. As an SANFL fan I'd want my team to get a crack at playing finals at AO.

so are you going to magic up a 4 day weekend so they can all play?

come on mate. of course this wouldnt be the ideal scenario but they have to work with what they have got.

i think starting the season 1 week later could be a good way to go, because it lessens the chance of clashes happening.

I know what the issue is. My point is that this scenario should have been considered before they decided to move SANFL finals. Had they left them to be played when they have been traditionally played then we wouldn't have to make the best of a bad job.

Tradition does seem to be an outdated idea at the SANFL these days though.

Unfortunately John I fear it would have been taken into consideration, but clearly the AFL Clubs interests over ride the consequences of the SANFL being turned into a Mickey Mouse laughing stock.

The only hope is that the scenario doesnt occur - after all, it will require the Crows AFL team to show some backbone.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:06 pm

Having it after the AFL GF doesn't suit the AFL teams as they need to send their players on holidays and they now run the SANFL.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Wedgie wrote:Having it after the AFL GF doesn't suit the AFL teams as they need to send their players on holidays and they now run the SANFL.

that's where Top Up players come into it
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby tipper » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:25 pm

or the reserves sides could you know, not play finals at all??
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:Having it after the AFL GF doesn't suit the AFL teams as they need to send their players on holidays and they now run the SANFL.

was it really due to this? or the fact that the season is now shorter in terms of weeks, and that it would be a bit silly to have a season start 5 weeks after the afl (or whatever it is)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:

was it really due to this? or the fact that the season is now shorter in terms of weeks, and that it would be a bit silly to have a season start 5 weeks after the afl (or whatever it is)

You have to ask why the season was shortened ..

Of course the changing of our fixture to commence finals earlier than the AFL was the driving force, because it better suits the AFC and PAFC. You only have to look at the marketing of Norwood v Port in Round 1, with the game being brought forward a day so that it was the only top flight game in the nation and could be showcased, according to the SANFL. Well didn't we have that with our biggest game of the year for donkeys?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Pseudo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:49 pm

tipper wrote:or the reserves sides could you know, not play finals at all??

^ this. Keep the finals pure.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:07 pm

should the SANFL finals sides receive compensation from the Crows for having the finals played at suburban grounds and not at the Adelaide Oval for it to be showcased?
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:17 pm

Davies has rejected the option of home finals to the higher-ranked semi-finalists.

“Our thinking is if we were going to reward teams with home finals, we should have told the clubs at the start of the year,” he said.

Does this mean he is concerned that the integrity of the competition will be affected? Not sure where that mentality was when they brought the AFL sides in.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:28 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:Davies has rejected the option of home finals to the higher-ranked semi-finalists.

“Our thinking is if we were going to reward teams with home finals, we should have told the clubs at the start of the year,” he said.

Does this mean he is concerned that the integrity of the competition will be affected? Not sure where that mentality was when they brought the AFL sides in.

policy on the run........
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby scott » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:ONE semi-final at each of Glenelg and Richmond ovals. Both venues have floodlights to allow for night finals.

Unlikely you'd think. Only Norwood has broadcast quality lights.
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Groucho » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:03 pm

tipper wrote:or the reserves sides could you know, not play finals at all??

Or even better, not be in the SANFL at all.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby on the rails » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:05 pm

FFS the SANFL is a dying joke!
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby wild dog » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:18 pm

JK wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

You have to ask why the season was shortened ..

Of course the changing of our fixture to commence finals earlier than the AFL was the driving force, because it better suits the AFC and PAFC. You only have to look at the marketing of Norwood v Port in Round 1, with the game being brought forward a day so that it was the only top flight game in the nation and could be showcased, according to the SANFL. Well didn't we have that with our biggest game of the year for donkeys?

Good point. That was our compensation, a stand alone game between Norwood and Port Power reserves for our finals series to become a joke.

For years those advocating for the AFL reserves teams to enter into the SANFL also wanted the Grand Final to be prior to the AFL grand final. You know, all about knowing our spot. Cant have a game after the AFL grand final, its embarrassing.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby CUTTERMAN » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:37 pm

I don't get it. We still have only one main neutral stadium, sure for a while we had AO to play finals at but we always had heaps of double headers at FP. Yet this issue of two AFL finals in the one week was never approached by anyone as being an issue, so why now?
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:56 pm

whingers trying to make a deal out of everything?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Aerie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:03 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:I don't get it. We still have only one main neutral stadium, sure for a while we had AO to play finals at but we always had heaps of double headers at FP. Yet this issue of two AFL finals in the one week was never approached by anyone as being an issue, so why now?

Because week 1 of AFL finals is the only week they play on Sunday.

Previously, starting SANFL finals a week after AFL finals , the SANFL had 4 Sundays in a row all to themselves.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:40 am

Cheers Aerie.
FWIW, I'm of the belief that both reserves teams shouldn't be playing finals either. I know some think that it would then be a farce but it's a farce now with two or three salary caps. In the end they get what they want out of it, somewhere to trial their players.
I'm not for home finals but think Thebby is a good option if it comes to that but it'd be an issue then with the ammos.
What a colossal ****
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL