HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby lovethefooty » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:42 pm

i don't doubt what you are saying tank...but it does strike me as a little odd....

does anyone seriously believe Uraidla will be challenged come the finals??

from what I have seen they are so far ahead of all other teams...

but footy is a funny game...maybe not that funny
lovethefooty
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Armytank » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:51 pm

lovethefooty wrote:i don't doubt what you are saying tank...but it does strike me as a little odd....

Mate it is more than just a little odd - it is a very unique situation that creates an awful lot of emotion

Serious Question - Is there any other league in Australia that has more than one division, in which the entire club consisting of junior and senior grades play on the same day in the same competition?

The only other I can think of was the SFL before they moved to one division back in the 90's?
I hate Full Back.....................
Armytank
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby The Sorce » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:36 pm

Looks like the way the last 2 rounds play out and if results go to as they should with no shock upsets (only one that can really change is if Blackwood loose both games and TV win both) ... The first round of finals would be..

30th August
Qual Final
Mt Barker Vs Lobetha

31st August
Elim Final
Echunga Vs Blackwood.
Country Division
The Sorce
Under 16s

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:48 pm

Armytank wrote:
lovethefooty wrote:i don't doubt what you are saying tank...but it does strike me as a little odd....

Mate it is more than just a little odd - it is a very unique situation that creates an awful lot of emotion

Serious Question - Is there any other league in Australia that has more than one division, in which the entire club consisting of junior and senior grades play on the same day in the same competition?

The only other I can think of was the SFL before they moved to one division back in the 90's?

You could argue the Riverland still have that type of set-up, but never transfer teams between divisions.
There are a number of leagues in Victoria that have 2 or more divisions, but junior football is primarily on Sundays with the exception of the odd senior colts team in some comps.

Fight to the death to retain it, however there is a serious flaw if Echunga get relegated. Promotion/Relegation needs to be more weighted towards to A-Grade, but having all teams must be a pre-requisite.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Mop Up » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:56 pm

I really think all the talk of relegation is moot as there will be a change to the structure of the comp. Which one though?

12 team comp is the death knell for Country
Leaving as is creates major opposition for the team being relegated and doesn't fix Div 2.
2 x 8 team comps - have to field all teams on a Saturday makes most sense. With automatic relegation/promotion.
As the 2nd Div teams field all sides, it will be a good even comp that clubs will not be against going down too.

Divs might start off like this -
Div 1 - Lobethal, Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Ironbank, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Blackwood
Div 2 - TV, Echunga, Lofty, Meadows, Nairne, Kangarilla, Kersbrook, Birdwood/Gumeracha
Mop Up
League - Best 21

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Peakedinhighschool » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:08 pm

overthehill wrote:The points system is silly. How a side like Uraidla can win the flag and then go out a recruit Tim Delvins and Luke Ivens just makes the whole thing pointless.
Should be:
1st = 7
2nd=8
3rd = 9
4th = 9
5th = 10
6th = 10
7th = 11
8th = 11
9th = 12
10th = 12

This would also help the SANFL's issue with losing all there players. If SANFL players are worth 4 points it makes it harder to just pillage league sides when your sitting 8th after round 11.
Example - If Aish wants to leave Echunga next year it should cost another club 4 points for him as he played SANFL in 2014

Point system works fine. Uraidla have managed to get those two players this season as they have managed to keep their previous recruits for a minimum of 5 years (some 10+ years). Other clubs should be looking to do the same and recruit quality clubmen and not just blokes looking for the best cash they can find.
Peakedinhighschool
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Uraidla Districts

Postby Legs Man » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:14 pm

Mop Up wrote:I really think all the talk of relegation is moot as there will be a change to the structure of the comp. Which one though?

Leaving as is creates major opposition for the team being relegated and doesn't fix Div 2.
2 x 8 team comps - have to field all teams on a Saturday makes most sense. With automatic relegation/promotion.
As the 2nd Div teams field all sides, it will be a good even comp that clubs will not be against going down too.

Div 1 - Lobethal, Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onkas, Ironbank, Bridgewater, Uraidla, Blackwood
Div 2 - TV, Echunga, Lofty, Meadows, Nairne, Kangarilla, Kersbrook, Birdwood/Gumeracha

Hear a whisper that TV may merge with Birdwood or Gums and if they do then they could stay in Div 1 instead of Bridgey.

Not picking on Bridgey - it just seems logical.

Either way there needs to be a merger or Kangarilla play C grade - which seems unlikely.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Amateur Footy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Armytank wrote:
lovethefooty wrote:I am no expert on the points system, and am not particularly experienced in the hfl, but it seems very strange to me that a team that could conceivably win the A grade premiership (Echunga could...Uraidla probably will though) will be relegated. Forgetting all the associated issues it just strikes me as very strange..

Nothing has changed in 20 years, this happened to Ironbank in 97/98. Ironbank played in an Elimination final on the 31st of August 1997 against Bridgewater at Blackwood. We lost that day and being realistic we were never really going to win the flag BUT we were in the five and therefore had a chance.

We were relegated to Division 2 for the 1998 season due to the poor results of the B grade and Junior sides.

We won the Division 2 premiership in A grade 1998 and 1999. B grade in 1998 and 2001. The Under 14's in 2000.

There were positive and negative for everyone out of that.

We as a CLUB regrouped, rebuilt. Constant on ground success from the A grade brought people to the club. The standard in the B grade comp enabled our B grade to be competitive weekly. We developed our juniors.

What it meant for the Div 2 comp though was a club that played in the Grand Final for 4 years straight. I am not sure that is healthy for any comp.

Lost to Uraidla at Blackwood in the elimination mate.

And we were demoted for an inability to field all junior sides and due the state of our facilities.

And success only came in Div 2 due to retaining a core 7 or 8 players of our Div 1 team who got some mates to join them, not super recruiting by coaches or the club. Club had no money to recruit with.
Amateur Footy
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 7 times

Postby magpiemaster » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:29 pm

Legs Man wrote:
Mop Up wrote:I really think all the talk of relegation is moot as there will be a change to the structure of the comp. Which one though?

Hear a whisper that TV may merge with Birdwood or Gums and if they do then they could stay in Div 1 instead of Bridgey.

Either way there needs to be a merger or Kangarilla play C grade - which seems unlikely.

Bridgey are irrelevant, have been for 20 years. Their facilities are HORRENDOUS. Oval mud's up quicker then any other, its size speaks for itself. Their is no shelter for spectators, during a winter sport. Spend some money on their facilities to fix things up, like Ironbank were made to do. Can't remember any of their senior sides played finals footy. Maybe 15 years for the A grade? Send them back and be done with it.
magpiemaster
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Amateur Footy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:30 pm

Banker wrote:
supercoach wrote:Legsman FYI Ironbank where the last side that made A Grade finals - Think it was 1996 - and was relegated the next year due to having crappy other grades. Rod Campbell bought a team of players as per Echunga have this year but his problem was he could not coach on match day. Some one had to then come in the following year and clean the mess up as he walked out with the imported players so it can be done. From recollection similar to your B Grade that year the Ironbank B grade won only 1 game too so it can be done. I think they then won the country flags in 98 and 99 by rebuilding and had a really good coach who had great people skills and was a good teacher. He got some good players as well.

Were you there SC?

:lol:
Amateur Footy
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 7 times

Postby Legs Man » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:49 pm

magpiemaster wrote:
Legs Man wrote:

Bridgey are irrelevant, have been for 20 years. Their facilities are HORRENDOUS. Oval mud's up quicker then any other, its size speaks for itself. Their is no shelter for spectators, during a winter sport. Spend some money on their facilities to fix things up, like Ironbank were made to do. Can't remember any of their senior sides played finals footy. Maybe 15 years for the A grade? Send them back and be done with it.

Yes - lets hope facilities become a major factor when deciding on divisions etc.

It does seem bewildering to see the likes of TV and Bridgey being allowed to play in what is deemed the "premier" competition when they have such bad facilities.

Surely some type of mechanism should be in place to prevent this.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:25 pm

magpiemaster wrote:Bridgey are irrelevant, have been for 20 years. Their facilities are HORRENDOUS. Oval mud's up quicker then any other, its size speaks for itself. Their is no shelter for spectators, during a winter sport. Spend some money on their facilities to fix things up, like Ironbank were made to do. Can't remember any of their senior sides played finals footy. Maybe 15 years for the A grade? Send them back and be done with it.

What mud ? I was at Callington the other week when the Raiders defeated Hahndorf and there was no mud to be seen.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Pinarello » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Still applies, while there is no mud at Callington the rest of the statement is true - Bridgewater or Callington - your facilities ARE horrendous!
Pinarello
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Legs Man » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:41 pm

5654060665_9a74c7ecd8_z.jpg
5654060665_9a74c7ecd8_z.jpg (438.66 KiB) Viewed 4029 times

Hey at least the bar at Bridgey has character :lol:

Looks like Vic left his bike behind though...
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby jumbo20 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Surprised on comments re Callington, the surface is excellent and personally thought the facilities were good, would not mind playing on a deck like that regularly,
jumbo20
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby cracka » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:11 pm

jumbo20 wrote:Surprised on comments re Callington, the surface is excellent and personally thought the facilities were good, would not mind playing on a deck like that regularly,

Did you go into the changerooms? Didn't think there were any that could be smaller than Bridgewater. In saying that, I do believe the Mt Barker council are going to put some serious money into upgrades this financial year.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby RAMS » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:58 pm

Congrats "mop up", someone looking at the big picture. This is definitely the best option for all club. Add a division 3 for clubs that can't field all required teams, have additional juniors and for the c grade and you cater for everyone.
RAMS

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:06 pm

cracka wrote:
jumbo20 wrote:Surprised on comments re Callington, the surface is excellent and personally thought the facilities were good, would not mind playing on a deck like that regularly,

Did you go into the changerooms? Didn't think there were any that could be smaller than Bridgewater. In saying that, I do believe the Mt Barker council are going to put some serious money into upgrades this financial year.

The Murray Bridge Council has similarly approved significant upgrade to the Callington facilities in the 2014/15 financial year. With new changerooms on the western side, a new clubhouse on the eastern side, and the best playing surface around, Callington Oval will be cherry ripe to host the HFL grand final for the next decade.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby magpiemaster » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:40 pm

Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:
cracka wrote:

The Murray Bridge Council has similarly approved significant upgrade to the Callington facilities in the 2014/15 financial year. With new changerooms on the western side, a new clubhouse on the eastern side, and the best playing surface around, Callington Oval will be cherry ripe to host the HFL grand final for the next decade.

No argument on the lack of Bridgey senior finals over the last 20 years, or conditions of their home facilities Elmer?
magpiemaster
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby the wonder elephant » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:07 am

supercoach wrote:Legsman FYI Ironbank where the last side that made A Grade finals - Think it was 1996 - and was relegated the next year due to having crappy other grades. Rod Campbell bought a team of players as per Echunga have this year but his problem was he could not coach on match day. Some one had to then come in the following year and clean the mess up as he walked out with the imported players so it can be done. From recollection similar to your B Grade that year the Ironbank B grade won only 1 game too so it can be done. I think they then won the country flags in 98 and 99 by rebuilding and had a really good coach who had great people skills and was a good teacher. He got some good players as well.

Ha ha funny thing was I played in that game and there was a keg on the end of it ! It was one of my first games for the club after coming frog down the hill ........having said that some of the best life memorys came from those years after 2 flags with an awesome bunch of now life time mates ..btw supercoach ollie says hi :lol:
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy