SANFL - New Marketing/Image

All discussions to do with the SANFL

SANFL - New Marketing/Image

Postby The Patriach » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:32 pm

So, after many, many, many years the SACA has updated their logo (brand) and is undergoing a complete new marketing phase more closely linked to Cricket Australia and consistent national campaigns.

With the appointment of a new leader this week, surely it's time for the SANFL to come into the 21st century and start marketing to the next generation of players/supporters/administrators rather than preaching to the converted (waste of money in my books). 'Support your tribe' was good, but it's time to go that next step further,

As you can see with SACA, it's a small change that makes a massive difference, and instantly looks modern and more marketable to today's consumers.

Thoughts...?
Attachments
SACA.jpg
SACA.jpg (44.38 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
The Patriach
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: SANFL - New Marketing/Image

Postby tipper » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:35 pm

some sort of sanfl logo bent over by/on its knees in front of an afl logo perhaps??
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:35 pm

the new logo is currently being drafted up

AFLSA
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11838 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby The Patriach » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:40 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:the new logo is currently being drafted up

AFLSA

Serious? I'm not talking about a complete rebrand, just a tweak to make it more modern! Definitely not AFL South Australia, that would be brand suicide. Similar to this!!!
Attachments
west end.jpg
west end.jpg (28.38 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
The Patriach
Rookie

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:45 pm

You are right that it makes a massive difference with that SACA logo. I like it.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby smac » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:51 pm

Funnily enough, I see that SACA logo as a massive bendover by SACA. I'm not surprised by it, but it makes me laugh in light of the SANFL/AFL relationship.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:55 pm

Why is aligning more closely with cricket Australia a bad thing? Not talking about sanfl here
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Patriach » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:57 pm

smac wrote:Funnily enough, I see that SACA logo as a massive bendover by SACA. I'm not surprised by it, but it makes me laugh in light of the SANFL/AFL relationship.

That's your opinion and I respect it mate, but its 2014 and subliminal brand consistency is a big thing now. It wasn't in 1980.
The Patriach
Rookie

Postby smac » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:58 pm

An organisation with 'rivers of gold' should be in control of itself, but they've long ago relinquished any real identity and this change was a matter of time.

Too eager to please, they are.
smac
Coach

Postby smac » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:00 pm

The Patriach wrote:
smac wrote:Funnily enough, I see that SACA logo as a massive bendover by SACA. I'm not surprised by it, but it makes me laugh in light of the SANFL/AFL relationship.

That's your opinion and I respect it mate, but its 2014 and subliminal brand consistency is a big thing now. It wasn't in 1980.

It is, absolutely - but the brands for cricket are in2CRICKET, T20Blast! etc. not SACA. The only place it appears is on the membership package. I don't mind the look of the logo, I guess I'm looking back at what I know of SACA and chuckling.
smac
Coach

Postby Ronnie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:05 pm

How does a small logo change make a 'massive' difference to anyone??? Call it a tweak, but don't pretend this is intellectually earth shattering stuff.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby The Patriach » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Ronnie wrote:How does a small logo change make a 'massive' difference to anyone??? Call it a tweak, but don't pretend this is intellectually earth shattering stuff.

It's not just the logo mate, read the first post. It's the complete re-brand and associated marketing push that goes with it. It's 'massive' when parents of kids choosing to play sport end up associating SACA with Cricket Australia and their great junior programs and then end up buying SACA memberships and SACA ends up not being associated as a 'boys club' anymore.

SANFL needs a similar pep-up in the continual fight to stay relevant in this day and age. Don;t get me wrong, I love the SANFL as it is, but as I said before it's pointless preaching to the converted like you and I.
The Patriach
Rookie

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:14 pm

the SANFL to become a summer night league
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11838 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby SANFLnut » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:20 pm

SANFL clubs have list their presence in primary schools in a big way over the last 10 years or so. They have a captive market there given that they still administer most of the PS footy comps, but don't make enough of this. I'm sure part of this is a budget thing with clubs not paying development officers to go into schools every day etc. These kids and their parents are the most obvious untapped market IMHO.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Ronnie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:22 pm

The Patriach wrote:
Ronnie wrote:How does a small logo change make a 'massive' difference to anyone??? Call it a tweak, but don't pretend this is intellectually earth shattering stuff.

It's not just the logo mate, read the first post. It's the complete re-brand and associated marketing push that goes with it. It's 'massive' when parents of kids choosing to play sport end up associating SACA with Cricket Australia and their great junior programs and then end up buying SACA memberships and SACA ends up not being associated as a 'boys club' anymore.
SANFL needs a similar pep-up in the continual fight to stay relevant in this day and age. Don;t get me wrong, I love the SANFL as it is, but as I said before it's pointless preaching to the converted like you and I.

If SACA is a boy's club now (i'm not saying it is or isn't) then a re brand is not going to change that. I think your confusing gloss with matters of some substance. Perhaps i am bit cyncial, but in the commercial world i've seen too many PR and marketing guru's over sell what they do. It will always come back to matters of substance and not about putting lipstick on a pig.

But i agree with you that the SACA and SANFL both have to reach out to the wider public!
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:44 pm

The Patriach wrote:

You are right a logo is just a symbol of a brand. I am not sure what the brand is anymore as it encompasses values and identity. The 100 pages of "No AFL in the SANFL" thread demonstrate that I am not alone in my confusion. This is a major issue for the league is it must essentailly reinvent itself and it doesn't seem aware of this need at the moment. Agree that it should now be a priority.
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:04 pm

smac wrote:
The Patriach wrote:

It is, absolutely - but the brands for cricket are in2CRICKET, T20Blast! etc. not SACA. The only place it appears is on the membership package. I don't mind the look of the logo, I guess I'm looking back at what I know of SACA and chuckling.

Are you saying SACA are pandering to their eastern big brothers :shock: ;)

Both state football and cricket organisations need to find their identity then structure their competitions to suit
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:09 pm

heater31 wrote:
smac wrote:
The Patriach wrote:

Are you saying SACA are pandering to their eastern big brothers :shock: ;)

Both state football and cricket organisations need to find their identity then structure their competitions to suit

Well, I think the SANFL have already done that.

Not sure there is much in a logo.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Rising Power » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:37 pm

The SACA probably paid some idiot $100K to make that change.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby tipper » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:21 pm

Rising Power wrote:The SACA probably paid some idiot $100K to make that change.

not sure id personally class them as an idiot if they can manage to make so much cash for something so simple.....
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL