HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:53 pm

magpiemaster wrote:
Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:
cracka wrote:
jumbo20 wrote:Surprised on comments re Callington, the surface is excellent and personally thought the facilities were good, would not mind playing on a deck like that regularly,

Did you go into the changerooms? Didn't think there were any that could be smaller than Bridgewater. In saying that, I do believe the Mt Barker council are going to put some serious money into upgrades this financial year.

The Murray Bridge Council has similarly approved significant upgrade to the Callington facilities in the 2014/15 financial year. With new changerooms on the western side, a new clubhouse on the eastern side, and the best playing surface around, Callington Oval will be cherry ripe to host the HFL grand final for the next decade.

No argument on the lack of Bridgey senior finals over the last 20 years, or conditions of their home facilities Elmer?

Cant argue with the fact that Bridgey havent played senior finals for years as it's a fact.

But hey....who would have thought....the club that has the lowest $$$ spend on players in the league has had a long period of poor results. Surely even you can see the direct correlation ?

What Bridgey have been focussing on (and spending money on) over the past four years is building a club from the ground up. The Raiders Junior Academy, four modified teams, consistent junior finals, and up to 9 teenagers playing in the A grade team, certainly beats the way that other clubs are doing it with the A grade cheque book approach.

The merger with the good people of Callington has only added to this and the future of the Bridgewater Callington Raiders is looking rosier than it is for many other clubs in Central Division.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:18 pm

No argument on the lack of Bridgey senior finals over the last 20 years, or conditions of their home facilities Elmer?[/quote]

Cant argue with the fact that Bridgey havent played senior finals for years as it's a fact.

But hey....who would have thought....the club that has the lowest $$$ spend on players in the league has had a long period of poor results. Surely even you can see the direct correlation ?

What Bridgey have been focussing on (and spending money on) over the past four years is building a club from the ground up. The Raiders Junior Academy, four modified teams, consistent junior finals, and up to 9 teenagers playing in the A grade team, certainly beats the way that other clubs are doing it with the A grade cheque book approach.

The merger with the good people of Callington has only added to this and the future of the Bridgewater Callington Raiders is looking rosier than it is for many other clubs in Central Division.[/quote]

Not having a shot at you but I'm wondering how many Callington people are part of the Raiders and will there be a C grade team again wearing the Callington colours?
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby chopper7 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:29 pm

"But hey...who would have thought...the club has the lowest $$$ spend on players in the league has had a long period of poor results. Surely even you can see the direct correlation?"

Surely you are having a lend here Elmer....
I know for a fact in 2011-12-13 you blokes were spending plenty.
Luke McLean, Matt Fosdike, Brad Devries, Ben Eckermann, Stuart Bown...... Could keep going mate. Those 5 alone were on 700+ and that's straight from their own mouths.

Rob Prime has done a great job with the club and it is in the right direction, especially with some senior colts success.
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:31 pm

Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:Not having a shot at you but I'm wondering how many Callington people are part of the Raiders and will there be a C grade team again wearing the Callington colours?

Fair question. Probabaly 80/20 (Bridgewtaer majority) at the moment if you add up the players accross all grades. Junior teams are very well represented by Callington based players, most of who are handling Central Division football very well. Committee and Volunteer wise more like 60/40, with some hard working Callinton people doing lots of heavy liftign aroudn the club.

Talk is that a C-Grade team (the Beagles) will be back next year, with a number of ex Cally folk returning.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:36 pm

chopper7 wrote:"But hey...who would have thought...the club has the lowest $$$ spend on players in the league has had a long period of poor results. Surely even you can see the direct correlation?"

Luke McLean, Matt Fosdike, Brad Devries, Ben Eckermann, Stuart Bown...... Could keep going mate. Those 5 alone were on 700+ and that's straight from their own mouths.

Rob Prime has done a great job with the club and it is in the right direction, especially with some senior colts success.

Well, I can categorically tell you that they were lying to you if they all said that.

In fact, just to make you look more foolish, one of the names you mentioned above played for nothing (correction, we gave him free shorts and socks to be fair).
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Postby magpiemaster » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:50 pm

chopper7 wrote:"But hey...who would have thought...the club has the lowest $$$ spend on players in the league has had a long period of poor results. Surely even you can see the direct correlation?"

Well, I can categorically tell you that they were lying to you if they all said that.

In fact, just to make you look more foolish, one of the names you mentioned above played for nothing (correction, we gave him free shorts and socks to be fair).

kluzek, Johnson, and Gatto played for the great club facilities. Love the Bridgy oval I hear. Good to see the recruits stuck around. Admire what Bridgy are doing now but there is no doubt they have paid massive coin and had very few stick it out.
magpiemaster
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby the wonder elephant » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Why did beaver go to echunga then ??????
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby chopper7 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:04 pm

Care you say which one played for the shorts and socks?
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Champ » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:07 am

the wonder elephant wrote:

Because he was sick of the club and it's management style in paying out to gimps; he didn't go back for free and that's a fact!!
Champ
Under 18s

Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby toot toot » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:31 am

chopper7 wrote:

Care you say which one played for the shorts and socks?

Could only be Bown. I know the others were paid, because I was the one writing the cheques at that time.
toot toot
Under 16s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:41 am

Champ wrote:Because he was sick of the club and it's management style in paying out to gimps; he didn't go back for free and that's a fact!!

Wow…seems I’ve upset the Echunga mafia (I’m sure some of you are the same person, just with different profiles).

No-one’s suggesting that Bridgewater never paid players – clearly we have. I’m just telling you that over the past 15 years we have paid considerably less than the other clubs. Our current player budget is lower than a number of Country Division clubs.

I also have no intention of being an apologist for previous management regimes. I have no doubt that they made some poor recruiting decisions (show me a club who hasn’t). But to bring up names such as Kluzek and Gatto - who played almost a decade ago - to refute claims that we spend less than others is clutching at straws.

Each club can choose their own approach to growth and sustainability. We made a clear decision four years ago to focus on developing a Raiders Junior Pathway program to build the club. If you want to see the benefit of this, drive past our oval in February/March when the Raiders Junior Academy is on, or come to junior carnivals and see how many modified teams we have, or watch up to 9 local teenagers playing A grade in our side this year.

Good luck to you if you think having the biggest cheque-book is the answer, but I’ll tell you for nothing, it’s not sustainable.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:46 am

toot toot wrote:I know the others were paid, because I was the one writing the cheques at that time.

Toot Toot - with respect, you may have been writing cheques for earlier years, but you were not writing the cheques for these players. You resigned the year before these players were signed. Again, please stick to the facts.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Postby the wonder elephant » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:50 am

Champ wrote:
the wonder elephant wrote:

Because he was sick of the club and it's management style in paying out to gimps; he didn't go back for free and that's a fact!!

I know that mate am friends with the beaver was just trying to make a point ..not fair that locals dont get looked after like beavs and willy muiden when you have high priced imports :(
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby toot toot » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:05 am

toot toot wrote:I know the others were paid, because I was the one writing the cheques at that time.

Toot Toot - with respect, you may have been writing cheques for earlier years, but you were not writing the cheques for these players. You resigned the year before these players were signed. Again, please stick to the facts.

Yep my bad, you're probably right (too old & too many recruits over time to keep track of). Fact is Bridgewater in the past has always had to pay overs for recruits because of their lack of success and the facilities made it harder to attract players.
Talking about playing payments is pointless. Everyone will claim their club doesn't pay as much as the next. Jars is coaching for pie & coke while Motlop plays for shorts & shocks. But who really cares anymore?

I think what Bridgy is doing now is a lot better, at least they've had some recruits stick around and got a few locals back in Jack & Connor (even though they are paid but it helps with they points).

Serious question: if the club and change rooms are brought up to speed at Callington, would the club consider playing more games there? or are their plans to upgrade the facilities are bridgy? I mean you're not paying much in player payments so you could afford a few upgrades ;)
toot toot
Under 16s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:57 am

toot toot wrote:Serious question: if the club and change rooms are brought up to speed at Callington, would the club consider playing more games there? or are their plans to upgrade the facilities are bridgy? I mean you're not paying much in player payments so you could afford a few upgrades ;)

The home games will always be split between Bridgey and Callington.

The Bridgewater surface is as good as its ever been as we no longer train or play on once the wet hits. Discussions are underway with the AHC re: facility redevelopments on the outer, which will inlcude a covered area for spectators - watch this space.

Your correct though, having a lower football budget does mean we will be investing in facility related areas.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Postby shake'n'bake » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:59 am

Because he was sick of the club and it's management style in paying out to gimps; he didn't go back for free and that's a fact!![/quote]
I know that mate am friends with the beaver was just trying to make a point ..not fair that locals dont get looked after like beavs and willy muiden when you have high priced imports :([/quote]

I would argue, that locals who play the card that i should be getting paid because that bloke is getting paid and i am as good/ better than him. Are actually the reason why clubs player payment budgets have shot through the roof. The truly loyal players, are those who have played for their club and never asked for a penny, much unlike the two you mentioned.
shake'n'bake
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Legs Man » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Beaver was a great addition to the Echunga side and gained a premiership medal through the change of clubs.

I am sure he made some good mates also and enjoyed his time with us.

Fully understand his logic with the change and that his stand assisted in Bridgeys current direction.

Perhaps Bridgey should request to play in Country when the league goes to 8 & 8 allowing them to build their club and facilities.

I hope Bridgey enjoys the superior deck at Echunga tomorrow as it is looking cherry ripe. (BTW no alcohol can be brought into the ground ;) )
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:17 pm

Legs Man wrote:I hope Bridgey enjoys the superior deck at Echunga tomorrow as it is looking cherry ripe. (BTW no alcohol can be brought into the ground ;) )

Cant wait for the nice deck. Hopefully will help our young legs, cause we struggled in the slop at Mt Torrens.

Legs man - got the alcohol message, but be warned, if you run out of pies before 3 pm, your reputation is shot ;)
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Postby jumbo20 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Any Ironbank announcements???
jumbo20
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Legs Man » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:02 pm

Legs Man wrote:I hope Bridgey enjoys the superior deck at Echunga tomorrow as it is looking cherry ripe. (BTW no alcohol can be brought into the ground ;) )

Cant wait for the nice deck. Hopefully will help our young legs, cause we struggled in the slop at Mt Torrens.

Legs man - got the alcohol message, but be warned, if you run out of pies before 3 pm, your reputation is shot ;)

Agree entirely and after some under catering hopefully it is in hand for our last home game.

Hit the bar hard guys as we are definitely well stocked there - you guys are good to have a drink with.

TV was a disgrace for us also and really hurt our running game and relegation status.

Hope everyone has a good day at Echunga and it will be great having Bridgey as our guests - after such a long time.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy