HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:54 am

cracka wrote:Thinking that it came down to one S/C loss is the reason Echunga are at the bottom of the relegation points is ridiculous. It comes down to the whole club being not good enough over the whole year.
If you think the relegation should be based more on A grade results you can put a proposal to the league which the clubs will vote on & if the majority of clubs agree with you then it will get through. Stop being niave in thinking the big clubs run the league, each club gets 1 vote, even Milang.

It has come down to quite a few junior matches which we have lost by slim margins.

I am naturally annoyed at the situation - particularly after us playing A grade players in the B grade which is a joke.

A grade is the name of the game here as that is what your club is remembered by and ultimately strive to achieve success in.

Go and tell a league side to forget their most senior side for the betterment of the club and see the reaction.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:56 am

I know it is unlikely - but what if we won the GF then got relegated as could happen.

That would truly show how much of a joke this whole thing is!

And - can someone please tell me why TV start with more points - then get an extra 3 to put them 5 points better off than a side coming up?
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Banker » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:06 am

Legs Man wrote:A grade is the name of the game here as that is what your club is remembered by and ultimately strive to achieve success in.

Wrong. I really hope that's not the attitude of the Echunga officials, otherwise Echunga will never be a successful Div 1 club.

I've said it before, learn form Ironbank. They made huge efforts to recruit juniors during their battle to stay in Div 1 and at one stage had the strongest junior club in the competition. (4 Under 10 and 2 Under 12 sides) Maybe 5% of these kids lived within 5kms of Ironbank Oval!

You have the fastest growing town in SA less than 10kms away!
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:13 am

We are recruiting heavily and aggressively for our junior grades but will see that effort destroyed as Mt Barker and Hahndorf kids don't want to play Country div.

That is the main reason we made the decision to go up - to save our juniors.

And - can someone please tell me why TV start with more points - then get an extra 3 to put them 5 points better off than a side coming up?
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Pinarello » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:18 pm

This whole promotion/relegation thing is a joke. The way the HFL handled it last season was baffling, and one can only assume it won't get any better going forward. It puzzles me why there is one set of criteria for promotion from country to central (A Grade success), however a different set of criteria for relegation to country from central (overall club success). While that clause is in place it's hard to see anything more than a sh!t fight developing. Yes I know its the rules, and the clubs voted it in.... does not make it right!

I can only assume the HFL see's the central comp as being the pinnacle of football in the district.... and that's fair enough, so they don't want byes etc in junior football.... but somehow that's ok for the country comp?!? If the HFL truly see the central comp as the pinnacle, then surely they would want the best A grade teams competing. Sorry if that is inconvenient HFL..... but Echunga will play finals in A Grade this season, and have been a more than competitive unit. But on the strength (or in this case, lack of it) the B Grade, and colts teams, Echunga will be told to pi55 back to country!!

So what's the answer..... For mine there are only 3 plausible scenarios.... none of which I think the HFL will find palatable, but there you go guys, your in charge, make the hard call.

1. Promotion/Relegation is based ONLY on A Grade - so taking this season as an example - Hahndorf to country & Lofty back to central.... love to see it, but it won't happen.

2. Go to the 3 division system that has been moved on here before - I think its the best way, continue with Promotion/Relegation, I also think this will make the gaps between the standards a lot smaller. Div 3 for those clubs that regularly struggle to fill junior teams, with the incentive for them to fill sides in juniors to push back up through the grades.

3. Central becomes a 12 team comp - bring in Lofty & Nairne..... and basically kill Country altogether!
Pinarello
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:22 pm

Legs Man wrote:
Goes to show that all scenarios weren't considered when structuring this "better for footy" club shield points system.

Did Echunga raise this at HFL level and come up with a better solution prior to this season?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:31 pm

Only thing I am aware of is the points allocation inequity.

As previously stated - no correspondence entered into was the response as far as I know.

They won't even clarify why and how the points are determined.

If anyone has an insight into this PLEASE enlighten me - as so far no one seems to be able to answer this.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Legs Man wrote:
Goes to show that all scenarios weren't considered when structuring this "better for footy" club shield points system.

Did Echunga raise this at HFL level and come up with a better solution prior to this season?

They didn't at the AGM. The HFL asked if clubs wanted the points system changed & it was voted to remain the same.
I believe the points are based on wins during the minor rounds over the previous 2 years, but not sure of the exact breakdown. Mt Barker complained because Uraidla who had won 4 of the last 5 flags got more points than them.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:42 pm

Legs Man wrote:Only thing I am aware of is the points allocation inequity.

As previously stated - no correspondence entered into was the response as far as I know.

They won't even clarify why and how the points are determined.

If anyone has an insight into this PLEASE enlighten me - as so far no one seems to be able to answer this.

They did at the AGM.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:47 pm

cracka wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Legs Man wrote:

They didn't at the AGM. The HFL asked if clubs wanted the points system changed & it was voted to remain the same.
I believe the points are based on wins during the minor rounds over the previous 2 years, but not sure of the exact breakdown. Mt Barker complained because Uraidla who had won 4 of the last 5 flags got more points than them.

Did they ask for a vote prior giving Echunga the green light for promotion? (I am not sure on this)

Wow - if that is correct with Uraidla it makes the system even more of a joke.

Why cant the HFL engage an equitable system and enforce it?

Surely there is someone on this board who can tell me why a current Central club starts on more points than a club coming up.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:53 pm

Legs Man wrote:
cracka wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Legs Man wrote:

Did they ask for a vote prior giving Echunga the green light for promotion? (I am not sure on this)

Wow - if that is correct with Uraidla it makes the system even more of a joke.

Why cant the HFL engage an equitable system and enforce it?

Surely there is someone on this board who can tell me why a current Central club starts on more points than a club coming up.

The Echunga vote was actually at an SGM held immediately before the AGM, so the vote on the points issue was therefore after Echunga knew they were coming up.
Again its the system the CLUBS agreed on.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:00 pm

Well that is it then - as the league says - no correspondence entered into.

cracka - you are obviously well informed - can you tell me why TV get 5 more points - and started with 2 more than the team coming up?

Do the clubs determine the points allocation or is this the HFL?
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:15 pm

Perhaps because TV don't have the population mass that Echunga have within 8 kms of them? Just an outsiders guess...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Legs Man wrote:Well that is it then - as the league says - no correspondence entered into.

cracka - you are obviously well informed - can you tell me why TV get 5 more points - and started with 2 more than the team coming up?

Do the clubs determine the points allocation or is this the HFL?

No I cant. Also cant explain why Echunga were given extra points last year or why Mt Lofty got the same points as Sedan. Both decisions were wrong IMO.
I went to the AGM is why I can answer most questions & why I defend the board so much as I saw how the system works ie the clubs run the league, the board members are volunteers who only administer it. I think you would be surprised how many opinions from forum users on here are totally different to your clubs opinions at the meetings.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Banker wrote:Quit your sulking Legs Man. The club shield works well. The weakest CLUB goes down.

Echunga had Chops & Duck helping the B grade and still couldn't get within 10 goals of the second to last team!

The future of their club was on the line and they only dropped two players down.

Was having the junior teams that they are trying to build playing in the almost non-existent Country colts competition next season worth the extra 5-10 goals margin in the A-Grade when they only needed to get across the line?

I feel for them, they have been given a shit-sandwich. No matter what they achieve this year, they are still going to get kicked out of the competition. They have more than shown their worth at that level.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:No matter what they achieve this year, they are still going to get kicked out of the competition. They have more than shown their worth at that level.

Whoever got relegated this year was going to be unlucky. This is the first time a club hasn't dropped off the pack.

Last year Lofty had 85 points and got relegated. In 2010 Birdwood had even less. To get 140 points and still get relegated is unusual.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:05 pm

I can fully understand if we play at an even level of opportunity which unfortunately isn't the case.

Points allocation is an absolute mess and this makes the club shield relegation process a sham IMO.

The league has a chance to start from scratch again for next year - and I hope the clubs allow this and get hills footy back on the right path.

Not just for Echunga's sake but for hills footy overall - as having sides getting thumped by 25+ goals in Country div achieves nothing.

The gap must be closed and if this means a total re structure - so be it!
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby supercoach » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:30 pm

Legsman stop stressing buddy. Echunga won't be relegated. I won't reveal sources but there will be an 11 team central div next year with Lofty coming up and an 8 team Country Div with the major changes happening in 2016 and beyond. everyone is getting sick of all the whinging and talk re points and that - you make whatever bed you lie in. Once you lie in it only your club can change that and no else. Out of interest what outside of a few posters / banners placed around the place and courier adverts in the paper has your club down to recruit juniors ? That would be interesting to know.
supercoach
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Uraidla Districts

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Hope you are right SC - and I hear you have good sources.

We have visited the schools with our Junior Director and subsidised subs for new players.

I believe there have been other initiatives also which Vaughan Brooks has implemented.

Central div is a bloody good comp at the moment and considering Onkas, Hahndorf and Bridgey will only improve next season it could be a mighty year.

We have already got plans in place to address the B grade situation and have more players in the pipeline for A grade.

The club will keep chasing juniors and has some good stuff organised to attract more.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby citycoaster17 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:59 pm

Being an Echunga supporter, no offence Legsman, but enough is enough, no matter what your thoughts or feelings are, it is getting very tiresome. What will be will be, I'm sure the club is looking into all avenues, and the league in the long run will make the best decision for Hills football, both Country and Central.

I've go an idea, how about we talk footy. Any tips for this weekend??
citycoaster17
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 20 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy