The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby RB » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:22 pm

matt35 wrote:Cannot change the rules to force the breaching of contracts. Simple. Would not stand up for one second in court. So that one is a non starter.
Just pay them out.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:31 pm

It's simple. They don't play finals and their players don't qualify for the Magarey. If Port want to be true to their Magpie heritage they have a stand alone SANFL team playing under the SANFL salary cap. Both AFL teams can then have whoever and how many they want. Summerton can decide if he wants to play in a legitimate team, like he said, or if he wants to take the money on promise and be the token lapdog he's decided to be.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby sjt » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:29 pm

As expected, a legitimate team is going to miss playing finals, due to a professional team making the top five. This could prove financially costly to whichever club it is. I hope it's a bendover club.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Tech1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:05 am

Dols wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:
dedja wrote:I'm hearing there's a groundswell within the clubs emerging to make changes to the AFL setup after this year.

There's lots of theories in the 6 billion pages of whinging in here, but what are those close to the decision makers at clubs hearing?

The main change he believes is that top up players will be restricted to underage players who havnt been on a AFL or state league list in the last 2 years, possibly u21 but could be u23. This would be effective immediately so Krakouer, Summerton, Callinan etc would be forced out.

Obviously don't know much about contract law. I believe summo has a contract for several years under the current conditions. My belief is no matter what changes are made the contracts still stand. So how do you deal with that?

I'd be very surprised if there isn't some small print in the contract that you may not know about, it is well known half way through the year that the way the power and crows setups are structured was being reviewed. You know for a fact the ins and outs of what his and any other of your top up players exact contract? I have heard that there will only be yearly contracts allowed, so maybe you will be able to keep Summerton for another year. It's all a bit of guess work anyway, we don't really know what will happen yet, until we finally get the press release.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Tech1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:12 am

Red Rocket wrote:I cant believe you Port guys are you really that stubborn?
The SANFL clubs are allowing you to play in their comp and these year they are looking at changing a couple of concessions to make the comp even yet you dont want a bar of it. Its this attitude that has the clubs losing patience, at a guess if there isnt changes forthcoming in the next year or two it wouldnt suprise me if the clubs went down the path of evicting you from the comp.
At the end of the day all most supporters want is a fair and even comp where they feel they have a chance of being competitive, at the moment Port has that many leg ups its not funny.
Perhaps excluding AFL reserves sides from finals had some merit after all

Everyone except Power supporters! You are 100% spot on, only need one years notice i think, either except it or piss off.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:48 pm

Tech1 wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:I cant believe you Port guys are you really that stubborn?
The SANFL clubs are allowing you to play in their comp and these year they are looking at changing a couple of concessions to make the comp even yet you dont want a bar of it. Its this attitude that has the clubs losing patience, at a guess if there isnt changes forthcoming in the next year or two it wouldnt suprise me if the clubs went down the path of evicting you from the comp.
At the end of the day all most supporters want is a fair and even comp where they feel they have a chance of being competitive, at the moment Port has that many leg ups its not funny.
Perhaps excluding AFL reserves sides from finals had some merit after all

Everyone except Power supporters! You are 100% spot on, only need one years notice i think, either except it or piss off.

I will second that NICK OFF !!!!!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:01 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
mal wrote:Witnessed a comical at Alberton today
A young boy cheered for Port Reserves today
On a couple of occasions he yelled out go Port Port Power
On another occasion he yelled out bury em Port Power
This is how a conversation took place between the boy and another mature aged female Port supporter[not exact but should be close enough to the facts]

" Bury em Port Power"
" Its not Port Power its Port Adelaide"
" No its Port Powers second team"
" No its Port Adelaide."
There was a bit more added about Port is or Port is not
Then the lady says
" Get stuffed" To the young boy

The adult with the boy exploded
" Hey , barrack for your team lady, but don't swear at the boy he is only 15."
She must have told the man to get stuffed as well , so the guy told her to shut up, support her team and not abuse the young boy any more
" This is a family area stupid, don't abuse the kid."

The man gave it to the Port lady
Wow!

Both the kid and lady barracking for the same team and they argued !
And to top it all off the lady was wearing her Port Power clothes and scarf !

Hilarious.
There was a few numpties on the outer wing cheering for the Power all day, quite sad really

On the contrary, I don't find that sad at all.
I see a bunch of footy fans who have accepted the SANFL Port Adelaide for what they are, their AFL Port Adelaide Power reserve team, and have come along to the game to support them. Fair do's to them. It's a shame a few on here won't wake up to the reality.

Correct JC not sad at all they are right in cheering a Power RESERVES side.

However there are still a few lost souls out in footyland that still cannot comprehend that the Magpies really are not the Magpies of old.

They are NOW a AFL RESERVES side.

So sad !
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:26 pm

mal wrote:Witnessed a comical at Alberton today
A young boy cheered for Port Reserves today
On a couple of occasions he yelled out go Port Port Power
On another occasion he yelled out bury em Port Power
This is how a conversation took place between the boy and another mature aged female Port supporter[not exact but should be close enough to the facts]

" Bury em Port Power"
" Its not Port Power its Port Adelaide"
" No its Port Powers second team"
" No its Port Adelaide."
There was a bit more added about Port is or Port is not
Then the lady says
" Get stuffed" To the young boy

The adult with the boy exploded
" Hey , barrack for your team lady, but don't swear at the boy he is only 15."
She must have told the man to get stuffed as well , so the guy told her to shut up, support her team and not abuse the young boy any more
" This is a family area stupid, don't abuse the kid."

The man gave it to the Port lady
Wow!

Both the kid and lady barracking for the same team and they argued !
And to top it all off the lady was wearing her Port Power clothes and scarf !

Cool story.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:15 pm

No amount of snide responses to Mal's post can explain away the truly compromised nature of Port's AFL reserves team.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Not snide, it's a good story, I quite enjoyed it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Hazydog » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Jim05 wrote:The VFL once had a law where only 12 AFL listed players each week could play, perhaps this should be looked at

I believe the sub committee looking at the AFL reserve teams playing conditions are looking at something along those lines. Although that would be conditional on the Crows creating a SANFL Reserves team.

Not sure I agree with it, or how likely it is to happen, but there you go.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:53 pm

I'm surprises the Power reserves haven't thrown a couple more games. Having week 1 off will hurt their league side.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby dedja » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:16 am

No surprises here and no blame on Hocking, his team is just in the wrong place.

Garry Hocking says:

'developing Power players remains his priority'

'winning a (SANFL) premiership will play second fiddle to the main focus of developing AFL players'

'the main thing is to try to get everybody playing really well for the AFL team because they are heading into a finals campaign ... for us that's the main point. Everything else rolls back'

'the main priority is to make sure we win an AFL premiership'

'the key thing is the AFL team ... that's what we have to get right. Then we plot and plan and see what happens (in the SANFL)'
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby smac » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:19 am

Stunning development.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:53 am

dedja wrote:No surprises here and no blame on Hocking, his team is just in the wrong place.

Garry Hocking says:

'developing Power players remains his priority'

'winning a (SANFL) premiership will play second fiddle to the main focus of developing AFL players'

'the main thing is to try to get everybody playing really well for the AFL team because they are heading into a finals campaign ... for us that's the main point. Everything else rolls back'

'the main priority is to make sure we win an AFL premiership'

'the key thing is the AFL team ... that's what we have to get right. Then we plot and plan and see what happens (in the SANFL)'

At least they admit it, unlike the Crows.

From what is said above I have no confidence they will play to the end of the SANFL season, their priority is AFL and if the Power are out in Week 1 watch them pull out the Power players so they can come back to pre-season on time.

They see the SANFL as a play thing, I can't believe our clubs saw it as anything else.

And people wonder why Im not going to the SANFL anymore....
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby RB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:They see the SANFL as a play thing, I can't believe our clubs saw it as anything else.

There are none $o blind a$ tho$e who will not $ee.
RB
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:13 pm

RB wrote:
Dutchy wrote:They see the SANFL as a play thing, I can't believe our clubs saw it as anything else.

There are none $o blind a$ tho$e who will not $ee.

Not all clubs. ;)
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby RB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:14 pm

True.
RB
Coach

Postby Aerie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:28 pm

At least he's honest.

The prospect of a team winning, or getting beaten in a SANFL Grand Final or Final and it not being priority one kills any genuine credibility the SANFL had as a league competition.

There is no perfect solution to the SANFL with AFL Reserves teams competing. I do think there is a solution for the game to be stronger at all levels, but that isn't happening.

There is merit in doing what the SANFL is doing as a feeder to the AFL, but how many people are interested in watching a competition whose priorities are either in giving practice matches to AFL Reserves teams or giving players opportunities to impress to get drafted? Perhaps enough to justify what is being done with the incentive money thrown in?

Given I have no real association with any Amateur/Country footy team any more, I'll get my live footy fix next year by joining the hoards that go to Adelaide Oval, unless the AFL Reserves teams are thrown out and the Eagles are given back the territory they have lost. I know this won't happen. The SANFL and its clubs have made the decision to move forward in a certain direction and have made it pretty easy to jump off.

It is a shame. I was too young to fully remember the glory years pre-1991, but have enjoyed following the Eagles and going to the vast majority of games, own footy commitments permitting, since returning to the city in 1995. Will still take an interest - but purely as a bandwagon supporter.

I think 2014 will prove to be more of a killer blow to the SANFL than 1991 was. Granted that the AFL have been chipping away annually, but the vote in 2013 saw 6 SANFL clubs choose their own destiny and 2014 hasn't played out favourably to the concept at all in my opinion.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby wild dog » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:At least they admit it, unlike the Crows.

From what is said above I have no confidence they will play to the end of the SANFL season, their priority is AFL and if the Power are out in Week 1 watch them pull out the Power players so they can come back to pre-season on time.

They see the SANFL as a play thing, I can't believe our clubs saw it as anything else.

And people wonder why Im not going to the SANFL anymore....

Yep no matter the complete contempt contained within the content towards the SANFL, the man is speaking the truth and I applaud him for it.

I understand people not going, its just such a damn shame that the result is quality organisations such as our clubs are facing demise. The prestige of the competition suffered in 91 and 97, but this is just kicking the crap out of someone while they are on their knees.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL