Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby shoe boy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:30 pm

Tiger83 wrote:Can anyone post up the finals dates and venues if possible?? I wanna come down and have a gander.

Finals start 30/8/2014
1 v 4 @ SHOE 2 V 3 @ MARION ALL SAT
SUNDAY 5 V 8 @ PORTIES 6 V 7 @ BICE

WEEK 2 PORTIES SAT / ALDINGA SUN

WEEK 3 BICE SAT /SHOE SUN

WEEK 4 GF @ SAFC :roll:
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:16 pm

shoe boy wrote:
Tiger83 wrote:Can anyone post up the finals dates and venues if possible?? I wanna come down and have a gander.

Finals start 30/8/2014

I thought Hickonbotham would be a good place for a gf??? Too big? Facilities would be good and I'm sure you'd pack it out.
Obviously I haven't been to sfl gf for a long time, just curious
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Tiger83 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:10 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Finals start 30/8/2014

I thought Hickonbotham would be a good place for a gf??? Too big? Facilities would be good and I'm sure you'd pack it out.
Obviously I haven't been to sfl gf for a long time, just curious

Ermm, SAFC IS Hickingbotham...... The GFs have been there for a good 10+ years now i reckon.
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:39 pm

Yes I know mate! I live around the corner from it.... Shoes had a rolling eyes emoticon after he mentioned the gf is played there!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:21 pm

In fairness the 2003 GF @ Porties was a disgrace and the biggest fight I have ever seen. Can't really complain why the GF is now @ a far more scrutinized venue....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Tiger83 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:35 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Yes I know mate! I live around the corner from it.... Shoes had a rolling eyes emoticon after he mentioned the gf is played there!

I had an inkling u were takin the p155 but i wasnt sure....
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Front & Centre » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:48 am

Great lead up to finals for Vikings 18s - forfeit from Morphettville Park last week and now Edwardstown this week.
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:00 am

Tiger83 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Yes I know mate! I live around the corner from it.... Shoes had a rolling eyes emoticon after he mentioned the gf is played there!

I had an inkling u were takin the p155 but i wasnt sure....

So is Hickonbotham a good place for a final or not? Surely it would be perfect
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby mrp2626 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:12 am

Hickinbotham is a brilliant playing surface, and the facilities are great (change rooms, bar access etc.), the only criticism I have of it is the lack of atmosphere. Because everyone crowds along the western wing (club side & grandstand) the outer side is baron, partly because it is so far from the nearest bar and toilets, partly because in the A Grade you'd be looking directly into the sun. and partly because it is such a Huge, open oval and space. I personally would love to see it trialled at Glenelg FC. Slightly smaller oval, would get a great atmosphere. Or if they allowed the cars to drive in to Hickinbotham. would be great. Overall though pretty good venue. very professional.
mrp2626
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby heater31 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:18 am

mrp2626 wrote:Hickinbotham is a brilliant playing surface

I don't think the fitness/medical staff at SAFC would agree....2 ACL's and a dislocated knee all on their home deck this year.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Panther32 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:15 pm

marbles wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:2 comp forums marbles and the same result in both. No one is listening. You're acting like those preachers in rundle mall.

nah definitely a lot of agreement occurring champ and waves are being made

just because u believe u are not a person who can make a difference doesnt mean everyone is also of the same self confidence

this is a discussion and i am merely discussing an alternative. u may not have the courage to do so but i do

at end of day im fighting to save crumbling clubs and you are not

clubs need solutions not hecklers & any solution is better than none

getting praise from forum roosters wont achieve anything the aim here is merely public awareness and at the crunch time u watch what committees decide when it comes to doing whats best for their clubs survival

I think most leagues are having their own problems at the moment, Amateur league clubs are folding and struggling to field sides. The two division scenario isn't exactly working in the Hills league at the moment and there is talk they will be going to a 12 team comp next year.
As much as I don't mind the two divisions you would need to have strict rules all the clubs need to adhere to otherwise it won't work like the Hills league.
The only time i've ever been wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!!!
Panther32
League - Best 21

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Keyser Soze » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:24 pm

Front & Centre wrote:Great lead up to finals for Vikings 18s - forfeit from Morphettville Park last week and now Edwardstown this week.

Just a thought on the under 18's next season I think the SFL and clubs need to look at merged teams for the clubs struggling for numbers in this grade similar to the shoes/sharks example. Be interesting to know how that has worked this season, been a few forfeits this season and might eliminate some of the one sided results also wont result in pressure for lads to double up and play A or B grade that has happened on occasion this season. This would be a season by season decision based on numbers at each club.
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Why not make u18/c grade minimum 12 players @ u18's?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby King » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Great game of local footy at Flaggies today. Saints lead most of the game then fell behind before finally getting up by 3 points. Good crowd, good atmosphere, close game, tough and hard with plenty of mistakes caused by the pressure and a swirling wind, kept the crowd on their toes. Also a pat on the back for the umps who did a good job in the conditions and whilst both supporter groups could point to individual decisions it was pretty even across the board. A bloody good day at the footy!!!!!!
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Goodfriend220358 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:16 am

trying to,work out why the sfl won't adopt Sunday footy for juniors (all grades) it provides maximum participation maximum quality with the private and public combine a full day of footy it makes big dollars and allows a pathway through U18 to all Saturday clubs especially now the Deep South private schools are setting up Saturday footy. Also can be run irrespective of whether a club has a side in amateurs as they are separate and it won't hurt those who pine for what they lovingly call the big day out.

instead we stick to a hotpotch one big day of Saturday footy made up of forfeits combines and clubs playing at multiple grounds Sunday footy for all will happen it will just take time for the lovers of past glories to work it out.

As for the seniors that will take some serious working out at least every team will provide two games on a Saturday .......... Div 7 pack the bags for Salisbury North west from Aldinga that's an overnighter
Goodfriend220358
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hackham

Postby Mister Footy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:28 am

All of these suggestions about changing the number of players in teams and juniors to go to Sundays are missing the point about what is great about the SFL and probably can't appreciate the atmosphere of a full day of club footy like will happen today with Winies v Emus. Kick off with the 14s and the players & parents can stay on to watch the A grade - big crowds, lots of noise and great atmosphere.

Instead Happy Valley had teams at 3 grounds yesterday with only 4 teams playing (18s had their 2nd forfeit in a row) Our supporters and volunteers stretched to get to the 3 ovals. Last week we were at 2 different grounds. I know we are not alone in this but I shake my head at how the SFL allow it.
I reckon the best suggestion the Future Directions committee had was to only allow clubs that could field 5 teams on a Saturday would be part of the league.

Is it a case of having too many clubs? Time for a few to merge if they want to survive?

I suppose last couple of weeks have at least prepared us for finals and the travelling between grounds if you want to see other teams in your club play. Travelling between Marion and Noarlunga this week - couldn't have got grounds that are much further apart
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby marbles » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:46 am

Mister Footy wrote:I suppose last couple of weeks have at least prepared us for finals and the travelling between grounds if you want to see other teams in your club play. Travelling between Marion and Noarlunga this week - couldn't have got grounds that are much further apart

wtf - theres now an expressway - dont u ever drive to the city?

Goodfriend220358 wrote:trying to,work out why the sfl won't adopt Sunday footy for juniors (all grades) it provides maximum participation maximum quality with the private and public combine a full day of footy it makes big dollars and allows a pathway through U18 to all Saturday clubs especially now the Deep South private schools are setting up Saturday footy. Also can be run irrespective of whether a club has a side in amateurs as they are separate and it won't hurt those who pine for what they lovingly call the big day out.

instead we stick to a hotpotch one big day of Saturday footy made up of forfeits combines and clubs playing at multiple grounds Sunday footy for all will happen it will just take time for the lovers of past glories to work it out.

As for the seniors that will take some serious working out at least every team will provide two games on a Saturday .......... Div 7 pack the bags for Salisbury North west from Aldinga that's an overnighter

wow someone actually can see common sense

i found it strange that sfl c-grade comps are on sunday? that would be shit for blokes just wanting a saturday kick & catch - sundays are for recovery :)

the under 18s - dont private schools play saturday morning? would this effect participation in the sfl's 18s?

futures proposal...
# 10 team seniors comp - SFL
# seperate juniors comp - SJFL
# any surplus senior club to the ammos

Goodfriend220358 u didnt emotionally object the concept of hackham in the ammos??
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby petoe » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:04 pm

When was the last time an A grade team made the grand final and then missed the 8 the next year? (Morphy Park 2014)

And when was the last time an A grade team finished minor premier (Noarlunga) yet their B grade didn't even make the final 8?

It's best time of the season. Finals time. All the best to those involved.
petoe
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:51 pm

petoe wrote:When was the last time an A grade team made the grand final and then missed the 8 the next year? (Morphy Park 2014)

Morphett Vale 2012

And when was the last time an A grade team finished minor premier (Noarlunga) yet their B grade didn't even make the final 8?
It's best time of the season. Finals time. All the best to those involved.

I don't think it has happened since the divisions were combined.

Marion finished minor premiers in the A-Grade in 1996, with their B-Grade wooden spooners.

Whilst we are on Marion, is that the first time an A-Grade team has been held scoreless since 1986 (Hackham against Reynella)?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Down the Hill » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:55 pm

The answer to your first question Petoe is only 2 years. Morphett Vale lost the 2011 GF then finished 10th in 2012. But it is very rare. And I can't recall when an A grade minor premier has had it's B grade miss the finals.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL