The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:15 pm

matt35 wrote:On the wider point of home ground advantage, while obviously I understand the point that no team/player/coach should ever be able to easily hide behind playing away from home as an excuse for losing or poor performance, it is pretty silly to argue against evidence built up over decades of Football history that sides playing at home do win more often than sides playing away. We all know that is the case, so to suggest that a team playing on the ground that they 1-train on and 2-play on every second week does not bring some advantage in to the game is a little silly imho.

I don't disagree at all.

I was merely stating the hysteria that some would like to associate with several Magpies players having played a game on Adelaide Oval as being a decided advantage come finals time is a little OTT, IMO.

But hey, any reason to throw the toys out the cot....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby dedja » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:35 pm

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:22 pm

Booney wrote:
matt35 wrote:On the wider point of home ground advantage, while obviously I understand the point that no team/player/coach should ever be able to easily hide behind playing away from home as an excuse for losing or poor performance, it is pretty silly to argue against evidence built up over decades of Football history that sides playing at home do win more often than sides playing away. We all know that is the case, so to suggest that a team playing on the ground that they 1-train on and 2-play on every second week does not bring some advantage in to the game is a little silly imho.

I don't disagree at all.

I was merely stating the hysteria that some would like to associate with several Magpies players having played a game on Adelaide Oval as being a decided advantage come finals time is a little OTT, IMO.

But hey, any reason to throw the toys out the cot....

Port supporters have consolidated the toy/cot part of your argument.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby StrayDog » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:07 pm

Booney wrote:...But hey, any reason to throw the toys out the cot....

dedja wrote:

CUTTERMAN wrote:Port supporters have consolidated the toy/cot part of your argument.

Interesting choice of illustration. So much for always being told that the white pattern on the guernsey was meant to be prison bars... :D
Last edited by StrayDog on Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby wild dog » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:09 pm

bennymacca wrote:
UK Fan wrote:“Crows patron Rob Gerard’s dream of taking the Adelaide Football Club out of the Oval to play in a covered inner-city stadium after the 2026 Commonwealth Games may need to be fulfilled sooner than he imagined.”

It appears $600 mill has been wasted on a 10-12 year stop gap solution like we predicted.

just when i thought this thread couldnt get any stupider...

......you join in to provide little insight.

From your AFL devils advocate POV, what's your take on the Port Power reserves coach recent admission. Answer has to go along the line "we never pretended it to be any different, its you guys whining, stuck in the past etc..."
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:23 pm

yeah pretty much. havent followed the port situation as closely but as a crows fan, i would expect anything to be done for the betterment of the AFL team first, then the SANFL team second. I expect them to always try and win, but with the caveat of player management. I think thats what buddha was trying to say too.

now what i do expect is for the SANFL teams to play the season out and not send all of their players off to surgery early. they have given their guarantee that they will do that, but I guess we will have to see whether that happens or not.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:40 pm

bennymacca wrote:yeah pretty much. havent followed the port situation as closely but as a crows fan, i would expect anything to be done for the betterment of the AFL team first, then the SANFL team second. I expect them to always try and win, but with the caveat of player management. I think thats what buddha was trying to say too.

now what i do expect is for the SANFL teams to play the season out and not send all of their players off to surgery early. they have given their guarantee that they will do that, but I guess we will have to see whether that happens or not.

I wonder how long this playing to the line thing goes for. Dropped off pretty quickly in the VFL for some clubs. I know ours can definately be accused of not playing to win.
Last year our Ressies made finals and had 12 players qualify, most who played pretty much all year in the VFL. The week of the first final comes around and the whole lot are withdrawn from the squad. Played with a full side of top ups and were beaten easily
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:yeah pretty much. havent followed the port situation as closely but as a crows fan, i would expect anything to be done for the betterment of the AFL team first, then the SANFL team second. I expect them to always try and win, but with the caveat of player management. I think thats what buddha was trying to say too.

I wonder how long this playing to the line thing goes for. Dropped off pretty quickly in the VFL for some clubs. I know ours can definately be accused of not playing to win.
Last year our Ressies made finals and had 12 players qualify, most who played pretty much all year in the VFL. The week of the first final comes around and the whole lot are withdrawn from the squad. Played with a full side of top ups and were beaten easily

really hope this doesnt happen here.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:53 pm

That is a big fear Benny although if it meant my team winning I wouldnt be too fussed lol.
Obviously Essendon has had a reserves side for awhile but its still treated with contempt. Last week our VFL side played at 1:30 in Melb and our AFL side was playing at 4:40 in Melb. 10 minutes before the VFL game started Bomber decided he needed 3 emergencies just in case so he withdrew Bellchambers, Del'Ollio and Kavanagh. The VFL side then played short and to top it off the 3 guys were not used at AFL level either. This kind of thing happens all the time. Guys taken off and rested at half time. Jobe was scheduled to play 1 quarter in the VFL 2 weeks ago but he decided against it. I know other clubs do similar things
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:01 pm

Jim05 wrote:That is a big fear Benny although if it meant my team winning I wouldnt be too fussed lol.
Obviously Essendon has had a reserves side for awhile but its still treated with contempt. Last week our VFL side played at 1:30 in Melb and our AFL side was playing at 4:40 in Melb. 10 minutes before the VFL game started Bomber decided he needed 3 emergencies just in case so he withdrew Bellchambers, Del'Ollio and Kavanagh. The VFL side then played short and to top it off the 3 guys were not used at AFL level either. This kind of thing happens all the time. Guys taken off and rested at half time. Jobe was scheduled to play 1 quarter in the VFL 2 weeks ago but he decided against it. I know other clubs do similar things

to be fair that used to happen in previous years when the players were distributed between the clubs too.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby tipper » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:02 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

ill happily call it now, it will happen

edit: if im wrong im happy for one of th "pro" people to take it out by slapping my arse..... any takers??
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby topsywaldron » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:14 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

And when it does happen here, like next week, watch the hopeless Port flogs still defend their pitiful Magpies.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:33 am

Whether it happens or not isn't the point, either way it's a blight on a sporting competition. The actual point is that they should be addressed as invitational teams that participate for the only reason they're there for...to get games into their reserve players, that's all. No finals, no Magarey.
Once this is in place they can jerk themselves off as much as they want of who they are, what they're playing for and why. Buddha can say what he wants and KY Keithy doesn't have to correct him. $ommerton can delude himself for another three years if he wants as he'll be irrelevant.
**** them off!
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:28 am

Well I have just chucked up my brekky

page 107 of the Tiser

rucci interviews Paul Di lusional from Norwood

question - how has the AFL based re - structure of the SANFL played out?

Part of the answer is just quite bemusing and if Chiggy decides to say the same I would certainly be ringing him up.

the answer

' but we have not seen the uplift in attendance figures to our games. It has not been a bad thing.'

So the Norwood president doesnt see it as a bad thing that attendances havent increased.......

Clearly this Paul di lusional wants a job at the SANFL in the future
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby dedja » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:01 am

Selective quoting doesn't help your argument.

Paul is a friend of mine, as CEO of Campbelltown Council, he is a very competent executive, and also an extremely passionate SANFL supporter.

He doesn't have the time to be a President but does it to ensure his beloved Redlegs are around for many more years to come.

They are very strong on and off the field, so you'd think that they're doing something right.

Instead of whinging and moaning behind a keyboard, how about getting off YOUR arse and doing something about the situation if you're supposedly so passionate about the SANFL.

I bet you haven't even turned up to a game all year or put a cent into the club. You only have an AFL club recorded on your profile, so you obviously don't care about the SANFL.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Maddawg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:07 am

I got the impression from Pauls article that there will be a review at year end and he wasn't giving too much away as it would just create issues if he did. I have no problems with his answers he didn't give anything away.

Although I would like to see the two AFL teams goneski its a pipe dream. They are too far down the track for that to happen, Cuttermans No Finals No Magarey is the only even ground that can be found. With the comments from Budha there is no doubt something has to happen at year end.
Maddawg
Mini-League

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:17 am

dedja wrote:Selective quoting doesn't help your argument.

Paul is a friend of mine, as CEO of Campbelltown Council, he is a very competent executive, and also an extremely passionate SANFL supporter.

He doesn't have the time to be a President but does it to ensure his beloved Redlegs are around for many more years to come.

They are very strong on and off the field, so you'd think that they're doing something right.

Instead of whinging and moaning behind a keyboard, how about getting off YOUR arse and doing something about the situation if you're supposedly so passionate about the SANFL.

I bet you haven't even turned up to a game all year or put a cent into the club. You only have an AFL club recorded on your profile, so you obviously don't care about the SANFL.

yes I removed Glenelg from my profile cos you asked me too

and yes I haven't put a cent into the club all year, but I have spent plenty of cash at the club over 25yrs
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby matt35 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:14 am

No finals no Magarey is equally a pipedream other than on here. Yes there'll be a review as there was always going to be. Some changes around top up players will be about as far as that goes I'd imagine. The rest I think isn't much more than people on here trying to justify a year of whinging. For all the doom and gloom it's been a good year for the competition.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Apachebulldog » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:30 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:Whether it happens or not isn't the point, either way it's a blight on a sporting competition. The actual point is that they should be addressed as invitational teams that participate for the only reason they're there for...to get games into their reserve players, that's all. No finals, no Magarey.
Once this is in place they can jerk themselves off as much as they want of who they are, what they're playing for and why. Buddha can say what he wants and KY Keithy doesn't have to correct him. $ommerton can delude himself for another three years if he wants as he'll be irrelevant.
**** them off!

DITTO

FAAARKKKK THESE PARASITES OUT OF OUR COMPETITION !!!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:42 am

matt35 wrote:No finals no Magarey is equally a pipedream other than on here. Yes there'll be a review as there was always going to be. Some changes around top up players will be about as far as that goes I'd imagine. The rest I think isn't much more than people on here trying to justify a year of whinging. For all the doom and gloom it's been a good year for the competition.

How do you qualify it being a good year or better than any other year? Wasn't it meant to enhance the league while keeping its integrity? I don't see how it can be argued that it's enhanced anything nor can anyone argue that there's any integrity in having two teams with a salary cap 13x that of the other clubs has any resemblance of integrity. At a time when AFL clubs are screaming for equity between clubs it's a bit rich to have this load of crap shoved down our throats.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL