The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby sjt » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:45 am

Classic, re if the crows make the finals they'll have nowhere for their non selected players to play - sucked in. As Neil Craig (amongst others) had stated, the previous sanfl set up was a significant advantage for the sa afl teams that the Victorian teams were envious of.
Port professionals will keep either north, centrals or eagles out the five this year. As previously mentioned they shouldn't let them play finals - let them play with themselves!
P.s the last round should always consist of all games being on at the same time.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Maddawg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:45 pm

matt35 wrote:No finals no Magarey is equally a pipedream other than on here. Yes there'll be a review as there was always going to be. Some changes around top up players will be about as far as that goes I'd imagine. The rest I think isn't much more than people on here trying to justify a year of whinging. For all the doom and gloom it's been a good year for the competition.

By using the No Finals and No Magarey, I don't see it as a pipedream. Budha has confirmed their priority isn't to win the SANFL its to develop players. I am sure the crows have the same feeling. So by implementing this scenario everyone gets what they want. It only needs the 8 SANFL clubs to make the decision.
Maddawg
Mini-League

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:01 pm

Yep. Requires no more tinkering with top up players, half arsed "salary caps", finals qualifications etc etc.
It's a no brainer.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Reddeer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:16 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:Yep. Requires no more tinkering with top up players, half arsed "salary caps", finals qualifications etc etc.
It's a no brainer.

Any common sense decisions regarding the SANFL no longer happen.
I have lost complete interest in the football here.
Just a compromise competition for the AFL teams to have practice.
No integrity, no point for the real clubs to play.
Was going to see the Eagles play their last game for the season and to honour Powell and Grocke but just can't be bothered.
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Tech1 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:27 pm

Woudn't be against it either, heard Rucci say this would mean the last game of the year between Glenelg and Port today would mean nothing......it does right now anyway. There is no reason to let them play finals, along with the restrictions for top up players and a funded increased salary for the real SANFL clubs this is the best suggestion to keep everyone happy so far, they get to have there matches in the minor round bring our season forward two weeks that way we can finish later which is the way it should be and it's keep them happy if they make the finals too. There where plenty of people that don't follow the SANFL closely that thought the reserves teams didn't even play for points before the start of the year, a question that i got asked a few times before it started, not sure where they got the idea but maybe this was suggested at the very start.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Mic » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:28 pm

Having AFL reserves sides playing in SANFL finals in which winning is not their 1st priority.
Having AFL reserves sides playing in the SANFL for no premiership points or finals.
Both equally farcical.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby Tech1 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Mic wrote:Having AFL reserves sides playing in SANFL finals in which winning is not their 1st priority.
Having AFL reserves sides playing in the SANFL for no premiership points or finals.
Both equally farcical.

The only other option apart from not having them at all in our league is to diminish there top up players (15 players, no leadership player, $200 a game, u/23 etc) to bring them back to the pack and increase funding for the 8 SANFL clubs so they can recruit and hold on to quality players so the AFL reserves teams don't make SANFL finals, something i would be totally fine with.
Tech1
Rookie

Postby Maddawg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:51 pm

Tech1 wrote:
Mic wrote:Having AFL reserves sides playing in SANFL finals in which winning is not their 1st priority.
Both equally farcical.

The only other option apart from not having them at all in our league is to diminish there top up players (15 players, no leadership player, $200 a game, u/23 etc) to bring them back to the pack and increase funding for the 8 SANFL clubs so they can recruit and hold on to quality players so the AFL reserves teams don't make SANFL finals, something i would be totally fine with.

It is now a handicapped comp, is the handicaps correct? Who knows too many variances to ensure its fair for all. The big issue is both AFL clubs have taken the line, we are taking as serious as every other club. Budha's comments completely contradict that. Really only solution is to get rid of them but they wont happen for many reasons. No Finals No Magarey is easier to accomplish than get the handicaps right!
Maddawg
Mini-League

Postby Reddeer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:57 pm

matt35 wrote:No finals no Magarey is equally a pipedream other than on here. Yes there'll be a review as there was always going to be. Some changes around top up players will be about as far as that goes I'd imagine. The rest I think isn't much more than people on here trying to justify a year of whinging. For all the doom and gloom it's been a good year for the competition.

WTF You cannot be serious if you believe that!!!
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby bennymacca » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:10 pm

so you guys want to compromise the competition further by having 20% of the teams not play finals? if thats the case why earn premiership points at all. or not play at all. just shows how ridiculous your arguments are.

saying you dont want the teams in the comp is a legitimate argument, but saying they cant win a magarey is just blatantly hilarious
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:13 pm

How can the Crows win the Stanley H Lewis cup?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:15 pm

I would like to see the qualification for finals more harder. Once they have played 6 AFL games they cant play SANFL finals none of this current transparent crap where you have to work out how many of the last 5 they have played up or whatever the rule is.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Jim05 wrote:I would like to see the qualification for finals more harder. Once they have played 6 AFL games they cant play SANFL finals none of this current transparent crap where you have to work out how many of the last 5 they have played up or whatever the rule is.

so they can play 70% of the time in the SANFL but not be eligible for finals? surely that isnt a workable solution
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:27 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:I would like to see the qualification for finals more harder. Once they have played 6 AFL games they cant play SANFL finals none of this current transparent crap where you have to work out how many of the last 5 they have played up or whatever the rule is.

so they can play 70% of the time in the SANFL but not be eligible for finals? surely that isnt a workable solution

It shouldnt be about what they want.
It should be about what the 8 SANFL clubs want.
As I said the VFL had a system where only 12 AFL listed players were allowed each week, the rest missed out or went back to VFL reserves. Perhaps we should let the Power keep their SANFL reserves and let the Crows enter a SANFL reserves side and try something similar.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Maddawg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Its a means to an ends. If you want to get rid of an employee, you make it unworkable. By putting conditions like that on the two teams you wont need to kick them out, they will leave voluntarily
Maddawg
Mini-League

Postby JK » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

As I said the VFL had a system where only 12 AFL listed players were allowed each week, the rest missed out or went back to VFL reserves. Perhaps we should let the Power keep their SANFL reserves and let the Crows enter a SANFL reserves side and try something similar.

I believe thats where its headed, with "Academy Sides" for the Power and Crows meaning excess players that can't play SANFL league still have somewhere to play every given weekend.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Tech1 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:53 pm

JK wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

I believe thats where its headed, with "Academy Sides" for the Power and Crows meaning excess players that can't play SANFL league still have somewhere to play every given weekend.

Crap idea in my opinion, the players that can't play in there SANFL side can play in some other league, they are only top up players anyway. Port shouldn't have an Academy side, it's a disgrace, if the Crows get one it means even more players and potentially a situation for them both to "work" the system in there favour and take away some potential quality from the 8 SANFL clubs, currently the Powers SANFL reserves side sits last though, in the next few years they will find it hard to get enough players to field a team you would think and be less competitive unless they "work" the system in there favour, same if this happened for the Crows in the future in my opinion.
Tech1
Rookie

Postby JK » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:55 pm

I believe there would be criteria for the academy players that would make it unlikely any SANFL capable players would bother. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the SANFL clubs propose.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby sjt » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:48 pm

So north management was voting yes and missing a spot in the finals worth it?
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:53 pm

One of my arguments for the No Finals No Magarey stance is that the SANFL don't have the resources to police all of the "tinkering" that people are arguing for, $hit, they can't even police Port with their bending of rules with Sommerton and Kraquer. Constant "tinkering" is crap, you'll never get a fair playing field and it will be too complicated. So just cut to the chase and give them three choices. No Finals No Magarey or you field teams in SANFL reserves or **** off elsewhere.
Last edited by CUTTERMAN on Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL