The Passion for SANFL Football is Gone !!

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The Passion for SANFL Football is Gone !!

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:24 am

I reckon it's been a great, close season. The 18 round season has been good, but most importantly my team hasn't been impacted by a heap of players not even from my club. Seamus has been able to choose his side each week on his own terms. You can bitch and moan about how it's an unpure competition but it was that way since 1991.

Ask a Panther supporter whether they've hated this year. I doubt it!

The sky didn't fall in guys...
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby mal » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:25 am

Less passion
Less interest
Less attendance

Mainly go to catch up with friends around the club.
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:25 am

Wedgie wrote:
SDK wrote:Personally my passion for the game is still as high as it has ever been and I know my fellow Norwood supporters are the same.
I have been delighted to see our young players continue to improve after losing 12 players from last year's premiership side.
You can be sure the South and Sturt supporters would be just as passionate as well this year.
Can certainly understand West, Centrals and North people being disappointed at missing the finals this year and the Eagles have had a strange year.
A Port Power friend of mine went to the SANFL game at Alberton last week and said he did not realize the standard was that high and totally enjoyed the game.

Loyal people jumped off before the season even started.
Position on the ladder is irrelevent. I didn't miss a loss in 2003 when we came bottom winning only 1 game.
The invasion, compromise and integrity is what's relevent here.

Yep same,

I actually consider this to be a better year for the Dogs than last despite finishing lower on the ladder.

Had made my mind up i wouldn't attend the YES clubs home games at the start of the year and was pretty much true to my word with the only away game i attended being the game at the Bay.

Missed more games this year alone than in the last 20 years combined/
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:26 am

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:Ask a Panther supporter whether they've hated this year. I doubt it!

I would have at the 3 South games I went to but I think I was the only person cheering for them!
I asked myself, I said yes.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

The Passion for SANFL Football is Gone !!

Postby Jim05 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:26 am

My passion for Norwood hasnt changed but I usually attend several neutral games per year and attend all finals. Havnt been to a neutral game this year and wont attend any finals we are not in. Unless we make it, this year will be the first GF ive missed in over 20 years.
Last edited by Jim05 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Aerie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:26 am

SDK wrote:Personally my passion for the game is still as high as it has ever been and I know my fellow Norwood supporters are the same.
I have been delighted to see our young players continue to improve after losing 12 players from last year's premiership side.
You can be sure the South and Sturt supporters would be just as passionate as well this year.
Can certainly understand West, Centrals and North people being disappointed at missing the finals this year and the Eagles have had a strange year.
A Port Power friend of mine went to the SANFL game at Alberton last week and said he did not realize the standard was that high and totally enjoyed the game.

I would have thought Norwood supporters would be peeved more than most. Probably a legitimate claim to be a "greater club" than at least half the AFL clubs yet you're stranded in a competition, principally about development, losing to your rivals reserves team whose coach doesn't even consider winning a priority. What a fall from grace.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:30 am

There has been some positives despite the passion dropping.
I've enjoyed Channel 7's TV coverage much more than the ABCs, I've also loved the fact the Crows have sent their club backwards even if it is at the expense of the SANFL.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:37 am

Wedgie wrote:
Cambridge Clarrie wrote:Ask a Panther supporter whether they've hated this year. I doubt it!

I would have at the 3 South games I went to but I think I was the only person cheering for them!

LOL - It's funny 'cause it's true!

Seriously though, the Panther supporters I know who were so proud of their clubs no vote and vowed to attend only the two games against Central have not surprisingly been enticed to games by the chance to see some wins.

The only major farce has been the complete non-attendance by Crows fans this year. The predicted 4,000 strong crowds have made Chapman look like an idiot.

If you don't like the new structure, it's not changing in a hurry... Head out to an amateur league game instead... I have for the first time this year and loved it.
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:40 am

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Seriously though, the Panther supporters I know who were so proud of their clubs no vote and vowed to attend only the two games against Central have not surprisingly been enticed to games by the chance to see some wins.

The only major farce has been the complete non-attendance by Crows fans this year. The predicted 4,000 strong crowds have made Chapman look like an idiot.

If you don't like the new structure, it's not changing in a hurry... Head out to an amateur league game instead... I have for the first time this year and loved it.

Same here, gone back and caught alot more of Eastern Park this year and had a great time at the quarter of the expense.
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:41 am

Last year I went to 20/20, 2012 I went to 18/20 (annoyingly I had things I couldn't get out of), 2011 I saw 20/20, etc. Also saw all but 2 finals (i.e. incl. neutral finals) the last four or five seasons.

This year I rocked up at 3QT in four matches at Woodville (I live within walking distance), mainly so that no-one I used to go with thought I'd carked it.

Fair to say I've lost the passion.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:49 am

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Have been to 3 SAAFL games as well as a 12-15 junior SFL games this year as well as about a dozen AFL games. Its definately not like I don't find something to do instead! Not looking forward to the longer off season thanks to the shortened season this year though.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Pseudo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:I reckon it's been a great, close season. The 18 round season has been good, but most importantly my team hasn't been impacted by a heap of players not even from my club.

Yeah, Kirkwood and Beard had absolutely no impact on your team....
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby holden78 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:10 pm

RustyCage wrote:I've been to 98% of magpie games since the mid 90s and I'd say no, the SANFL isn't dying as much as you guys all want it to. Port v Eagles, Port v North and Centrals v Port have been three of the best games I've been to.

Any Glenelg fan there yesterday or Centrals fan at their win against us a few weeks ago would know just how much passion there was in the crowd and on the oval.

Get to a doc my friend your delusional....... you probably think the AFL is better now then in the 80's! :roll:
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby holden78 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:15 pm

This post should not be engaged ( contaminated) and needs to be Drug Tested by the Moderaters ASAP :^o
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:25 pm

I'm guessing Holden78 is a Centrals supporter
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:33 pm

wristwatcher wrote:I'm guessing Holden78 is a Centrals supporter

WRONG!
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:44 pm

Holden's actually a Glenelg supporter.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:44 pm

whufc wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:I'm guessing Holden78 is a Centrals supporter

WRONG!

East Fremantle??
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby dedja » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Got home completely legless at 3:30am after being at the club all night ... nope, the passion is still there.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby zipzap » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Walking in to the ground yesterday my mate and I were reflecting on how, for us at least, it has been the least enjoyable season in recent memory. Between the three of us who go it would be the lowest turnout in a decade due to factors explained by Pseudo. Even when I'm there the passion is not the same. If it wasn't for my son I would have gone a lot less.

The big test however is coming...I'm genuinely confused about how to approach the finals. The double header next week stands to be good, might even restore some faith in the SANFL.

But beyond that...what would a finals win or loss against the Power reserves - a team whose existence in the SANFL is a means to an entirely different end - actually mean? Especially should it be in the GF? A loss would be infuriating, a win somehow hollow.

Despite choosing not to attend any of the training cone games I don't think I could deprive my lad of seeing his team in the finals. But if Sturt doesn't make it through, our tradition of going to the GF as neutrals, in a celebration of SA footy no matter what the team, will not be honoured if the Power reserves are there. Flame away, that's just how I feel.
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL