Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:01 pm

ol man emu wrote:
afc9798 wrote:
MatteeG wrote:
reppoh_eht wrote:Heard mumblings that Hackham played too many points on the weekend. Any other reports on this?

What happens if they did?

Loss of premiership points and fines I believe, but it's not covered in the prescribed penalties in the SFL constitution. Would have to be hefty I would have thought. Would probably involve an SFL Executive decision.

loss of points, percentage and fine.
not sure how much the fine is.
when you play a junior to bring the points down he has to have played 25 junior games for your club.
Hackam used a player that has played 25 junior games but not at Hackam.

Apparently this judgement was appealed last week when Hackham suddenly realised that they were an outside chance of playing finals. Reports are the appeal was upheld!

I assume that any junior that is registered with your club is now a minus 1 pointer and the 25 games are no longer required.

First nail in the coffin for the poorly designed APPS?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:14 pm

marbles wrote:Goodfriend220358 u didnt emotionally object the concept of hackham in the ammos??

Are you talking to yourself?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby shoe boy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:34 am

Goodfriend220358 wrote:trying to,work out why the sfl won't adopt Sunday footy for juniors (all grades) it provides maximum participation maximum quality with the private and public combine a full day of footy it makes big dollars and allows a pathway through U18 to all Saturday clubs especially now the Deep South private schools are setting up Saturday footy. Also can be run irrespective of whether a club has a side in amateurs as they are separate and it won't hurt those who pine for what they lovingly call the big day out.

instead we stick to a hotpotch one big day of Saturday footy made up of forfeits combines and clubs playing at multiple grounds Sunday footy for all will happen it will just take time for the lovers of past glories to work it out.

As for the seniors that will take some serious working out at least every team will provide two games on a Saturday .......... Div 7 pack the bags for Salisbury North west from Aldinga that's an overnighter

You from Hackham?
We are not and don't want to be SAAFL.
We have allowed our league to be taken advantage of by some to cause the issues you raise! We need to have strong leadership to put this comp back where it once was.
Sunday footy was about mini footy and of latter years a over flow of sat sides (development) NOT what we have today.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Goodfriend220358 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:43 am

Ill call you REG he was the one from Monty Python who denied the obvious "its happening Reg"

What you wanted or hoped SFL to be wont be able to be held on to ............. so you have to move on.. simply suggesting that you do heres a suggestion

Saturdays
A grade
B Grade
and C grade or u/21 with a number of overage allowed (say 4)
either before Bs or after As depending upon season

Brings seniors together
maintains relevant juniors link directly
Keeps long term stalwarts in the club
Ensures Cs support on match days not split

Sundays
u/8
u/10
u/12
u/13
u/15
u 17

*** only one side per club
OR a two division comp for too many sides or one large doesnt worry me
Allows big day out juniors day
Allows pathway for privates into SFL sorry LGIL youll hate that
Maintains recommendations to an extent of future pathways
Competes directly with SW Metro

GUESS what you could even run a southern zone and ask their teams to join creating another pathway to SFLafter all their comp is struggling atm

Do I follow Hackham ...someone has to follow them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55fqjw2J1vI

Its happening !!!!!
Goodfriend220358
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hackham

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54 am

Did you forget to log back in as marbles?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:00 am

Sorry , but with all due respect your post is concerning and again smells like SAAFL of which I and my members want nothing to do with!!

When we play the Christies , Porties , MVale ,Reynella , Valley ,Flaggies ,Hackham and even the Sharks we have our best numbers through the gate thus revenue and with that great atmosphere .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:01 am

Goodfriend220358 wrote:Allows pathway for privates into SFL sorry LGIL youll hate that

What do you mean by that marbles?
What do I hate?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Front & Centre » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:08 am

There is some merit (not a lot) to what our friend with the split personality has suggested in that having a full day of juniors could work but there are several factors he is not taking into account and sorry for stating the obvious for those that know this. Players often play C grade because they work on Saturday and Sunday suits them. Having all your juniors on a Sunday and all your seniors on a Saturday creates a division in your club between seniors and juniors and would mean your crowd numbers would reduce which also reduces income whilst stretching volunteers and support staff.
The current system works for most of the clubs in the SFL.

Mate if you really are a Hackam supporter then why dont you look at ways you can improve your club to attract juniors - strenthening your seniors has been a good start and from an outsider it looks like Marty Clifton has done a good job of that but if you and Lonsdale are both complaining about the lack of juniors due to the college system maybe it's time to seriously look at getting married
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Front & Centre » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:14 am

marbles wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:I suppose last couple of weeks have at least prepared us for finals and the travelling between grounds if you want to see other teams in your club play. Travelling between Marion and Noarlunga this week - couldn't have got grounds that are much further apart

wtf - theres now an expressway - dont u ever drive to the city? - nice quote there Marbles! It's called the Southern Football League you goose - what does driving to the city have to do with it?

MF I agree this weekend is going to make it hard to get between ovals to support all teams in the club without missing half the game.
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby marbles » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:19 am

it aint me guys im all morphett vale

mr Goodfriend220358 is discussing topics way out my scope & i wouldnt put a birthday into my username if i did make a fake account

Front & Centre wrote:
marbles wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:I suppose last couple of weeks have at least prepared us for finals and the travelling between grounds if you want to see other teams in your club play. Travelling between Marion and Noarlunga this week - couldn't have got grounds that are much further apart

wtf - theres now an expressway - dont u ever drive to the city? - nice quote there Marbles! It's called the Southern Football League you goose - what does driving to the city have to do with it?

MF I agree this weekend is going to make it hard to get between ovals to support all teams in the club without missing half the game.

oh has anyone noticed lately its called the "Southern expressway" - oh dear its a bit tough driving to marion from noarlunga - my god thats weakling shit
Last edited by marbles on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby marbles » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:30 am

my issues arrives by the fact the bottom SFL club committees are happy to make their customers (footballers) pay their hard earn cash so in 10 years from now they might just be good enough to make finals. In the meantime their hard earn cash can go towards miserable thrashings, and by the time these clubs 'might be good enough' these current paying footballers will be retired and wont even experience the possible good times.

thats cheating your customers, and you are not providing environments in which your customers pay for. you are using your current customers as stepping stones for a decade ahead.

if you could only put your customers first, and leave your high strung committee egos at the door, you might actually decide to do whats right for your players instead of yourselves and place your sides into competitions where your customers at least have a hope of making finals, and by doing this you at least make your customers drive to your football clubs worthwhile.

as it says - if you build it they will come. if you dont they would go

and by inviting footballers to come play for 5 years of misery then you got no chance of attracting dogs balls. and your club deserves to crumble
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby mrp2626 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:44 am

10 Years?! I believe it was only 3 or 4 years ago, that we Belted Hackham by 63 goals, and this year had a draw (which we werent impresed with).... I dont know if you can get much more of a turn around than that... They were also very close to making finals this year after we had beaten them by 30 goals only 2 years ago!
mrp2626
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby afc9798 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Anyone fill me in on the MV vs Reynella game. Great result for the Emus, were they just too good on the day, were Reynella just going through the motions?
Either way, certainly surprised to see the result and it appears on the surface that Reynella's form has been down for the last few weeks leading into finals.

Will be interesting to see if they turn it around this week against Porties, who have alsao been a bit up and down in recent weeks. We get Noarlunga at Noarlunga, so I guess we'll see just how much of a guide our recent good form is. Bring on Saturday, with all our teams other than the 16's playing. Should be a big day of footy.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby afc9798 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:31 pm

mrp2626 wrote:10 Years?! I believe it was only 3 or 4 years ago, that we Belted Hackham by 63 goals, and this year had a draw (which we werent impresed with).... I dont know if you can get much more of a turn around than that... They were also very close to making finals this year after we had beaten them by 30 goals only 2 years ago!

Don't let your facts get in the way of a marbles mission. After all, what he is proposing is the only way forward. I mean that's why all the players from those teams have chosen to go to SAAFL already.......oh wait. :roll:

All those players must be incredibly dumb if they can't see the advantage of going to the faultless SAAFL system.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby mrp2626 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:37 pm

I agree afc, there were some interesting results..... The Emu's would be very happy with that result, and whilst Christies did a great job to knock off Flaggies and secure a spot in the 8, I think they have a VERY Big job ahead of them this Sunday.....Valley's Vs Shoes will be a cracking game. My money is on the Shoes, but I'd like to see someone put a 'dent' in their armour and make them go the distance. Our guys looked pretty good on Sat night, starting to get a full side on the park for once (Hasnt happened all year), but getting there at the right time now. Looking forward to Sunday, Im sure Flaggies will not be pleased with this week and come out firing. I think Reynella will get the job done (Just) over porties, and hopefully they give each other quite a beating ;)

Would be very interesting to fast forward 4 weeks to see who makes the big dance, and furthermore holds up the Cup!?
mrp2626
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:43 pm

marbles wrote:my issues arrives by the fact the bottom SFL club committees are happy to make their customers (footballers) pay their hard earn cash so in 10 years from now they might just be good enough to make finals. In the meantime their hard earn cash can go towards miserable thrashings, and by the time these clubs 'might be good enough' these current paying footballers will be retired and wont even experience the possible good times.

thats cheating your customers, and you are not providing environments in which your customers pay for. you are using your current customers as stepping stones for a decade ahead.

if you could only put your customers first, and leave your high strung committee egos at the door, you might actually decide to do whats right for your players instead of yourselves and place your sides into competitions where your customers at least have a hope of making finals, and by doing this you at least make your customers drive to your football clubs worthwhile.

and by inviting footballers to come play for 5 years of misery then you got no chance of attracting dogs balls. and your club deserves to crumble

Amateur league mentality

It is not about the players - they are the product. We are a semi-professional sporting competition, it is about the supporters and community.
The benefit to the supporters and community is diminished if every second week they need to travel to Salisbury, Tea Tree Gully, Port Adelaide or further, and then only for the senior teams.

We don't expect those on the plains to understand, the amateur league is parklands footy - based around participation foremost and purely senior football, hence why the "three men and a dog" comment comes up a lot. It is a different market, ours is an event that people pay to come and see, yours is a game of football happening in the park down the road.

Neither should claim to be superior, but each performs a different function. Ours is about local identity and representing an entire community, yours is based around teams with different purposes (ie representing a school, ethnic group, church or suburb).
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby marbles » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:12 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
marbles wrote:my issues arrives by the fact the bottom SFL club committees are happy to make their customers (footballers) pay their hard earn cash so in 10 years from now they might just be good enough to make finals. In the meantime their hard earn cash can go towards miserable thrashings, and by the time these clubs 'might be good enough' these current paying footballers will be retired and wont even experience the possible good times.

Amateur league mentality

It is not about the players - they are the product. We are a semi-professional sporting competition, it is about the supporters and community.
The benefit to the supporters and community is diminished if every second week they need to travel to Salisbury, Tea Tree Gully, Port Adelaide or further, and then only for the senior teams.

We don't expect those on the plains to understand, the amateur league is parklands footy - based around participation foremost and purely senior football, hence why the "three men and a dog" comment comes up a lot. It is a different market, ours is an event that people pay to come and see, yours is a game of football happening in the park down the road.

Neither should claim to be superior, but each performs a different function. Ours is about local identity and representing an entire community, yours is based around teams with different purposes (ie representing a school, ethnic group, church or suburb).

thats a very rational explanation & makes a lot of sense. you regard yourselves as country towns, as per those in gsfl

remember though without the players you got nothing. your spectators wanna see glory, and if its more important to provide cut sandwiches and beers for your spectators so they can get a day out of the house then you may as well scrap the footy matches and just open up a new RSL club

put your players first, and the rest will follow
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby vics01 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:30 pm

LGIL
Apparently this judgement was appealed last week when Hackham suddenly realised that they were an outside chance of playing finals. Reports are the appeal was upheld!

I assume that any junior that is registered with your club is now a minus 1 pointer and the 25 games are no longer required.

First nail in the coffin for the poorly designed APPS?

Just for the fun of it would love to have seen Hawks beat BDOS a fortnight ago to hear what DTH would have had to say about it as it may have meant BDOS missing out.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:20 pm

But they didn't Vics so all elementary I suppose. But Hackham have a really talented group of young players and their B grade seemed to gain in depth as the season went on, not to mention some talent in the 18's who put together a very respectable season. Let's hope they can get better numbers for U16 and U14, or even entertain a merge similar to what Aldinga and Noarlunga did so that they can have their 15 and 16 year olds playing in the U16 comp next year.

Brighton are one of those clubs that are affected by having many local lads at private schools but whilst we and the SFL can sustain Saturday junior footy then we are a supporter of the connectivity that our clubs enjoy with a full day at the footy most Saturday's. I'm still not convinced maintaining 3 junior grades on a Saturday is sustainable and would have preferred the element of the FDC recommendations that suggested 2 junior grades on Saturday to be adopted.

We find that some U16's will hang around after their game particularly as they are generally old enough to be left at the footy if their parents won't hang around but most U14's and their parents will disappear, often due to families needing to head off to netball or in some cases primary school footy. So I don't think clubs get much connectivity by having that 3rd junior grade on a Saturday starting at 8.15am. And if the oval is in decent condition and a clear morning then it is often dewy at that time so I'm not sure if we are doing much for their development by playing so early.

I saw a terrific U14 game on Saturday in the later time slot of 11.45am due to the Brighton and Cove night game and there is no doubt that the better playing conditions allowed the lads to display their skills far more than when the sun hasn't been up for long.

Anyway, onto what is shaping as an intriguing finals series.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times

Postby vics01 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:35 pm

DTH
But they didn't Vics so all elementary I suppose. But Hackham have a really talented group of young players and their B grade seemed to gain in depth as the season went on, not to mention some talent in the 18's who put together a very respectable season. Let's hope they can get better numbers for U16 and U14, or even entertain a merge similar to what Aldinga and Noarlunga did so that they can have their 15 and 16 year olds playing in the U16 comp next year.

Brighton are one of those clubs that are affected by having many local lads at private schools but whilst we and the SFL can sustain Saturday junior footy then we are a supporter of the connectivity that our clubs enjoy with a full day at the footy most Saturday's. I'm still not convinced maintaining 3 junior grades on a Saturday is sustainable and would have preferred the element of the FDC recommendations that suggested 2 junior grades on Saturday to be adopted.

We find that some U16's will hang around after their game particularly as they are generally old enough to be left at the footy if their parents won't hang around but most U14's and their parents will disappear, often due to families needing to head off to netball or in some cases primary school footy. So I don't think clubs get much connectivity by having that 3rd junior grade on a Saturday starting at 8.15am. And if the oval is in decent condition and a clear morning then it is often dewy at that time so I'm not sure if we are doing much for their development by playing so early.

I saw a terrific U14 game on Saturday in the later time slot of 11.45am due to the Brighton and Cove night game and there is no doubt that the better playing conditions allowed the lads to display their skills far more than when the sun hasn't been up for long.

Anyway, onto what is shaping as an intriguing finals series.

Yep it is elementary, but I did notice about half through the last 1/4 before the undisciplined play ended the game your Secretary was twitching.. I think the point is the SFL sat on their hands for several months not knowing what to do and left the decision to the last minute where it could well have gone very pear shape given the tightness of the comp.

Funny thing I have heard that some at Brighton have compared playing Hackham to having a bye!! Watching the game I guess that is what your supporters must have thought as the 5 present were vastly outnumbered by the Hawk supporters!! Or was SHC playing at the same time??

I can say from experience both Hackham and Cove have great relationships between the juniors and seniors with under 14 up hanging around the club for the day and back at pressos at night.

It is about time the SFL/SACFL/SANFL got their shit together and took on the schools.. Just an aside how utterly ridiculous is it that they premier under 18 comp.. Centre of Excellence loose players to play school boy footy or players miss League footy to play school boy.. Problem with juniors will not be fixed until the fight is taken to the schools and they are reminded they are there to teach and education not beat themselves off over having club developed kids play for them.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL