The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:46 am

bennymacca wrote:I'm behind a pretty decent security fence and swipe control atm. Should I stay here? :)

Seriously though, I think that's where a lot of the conflict arises. Nobody bats an eyelid when a player from their local team moves to the sanfl, but people seem to he stuck in the 80s mentality that he sanfl is on equal terms with the vfl. It isn't anymore.

Not saying this allows the reserves teams in etc, that is a different argument.

Not true, everyone realises the SANFL isnt what it is used to be.
And I can assure you not many players move from their local clubs to the SANFL once the season starts
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:54 am

Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Unfortunately I can see some sad times ahead for the SANFL, Gilligan again stated yesterday that he is keen to look at a midseason draft by 2016, the AFL clubs could possibly raid the state leagues for talent and we have the scenerio where a team near the top of the SANFL ladder midseason suddenly loses players to the AFL, what a joke.
Even worse would be if the Crows or Port pick them up and we have a situation where the player plays against his old club in the same season

Don't be selfish. If this gets more players into the afl, the ultimate goal of almost every young player playing in the sanfl, this is pretty obviously a good thing for those players. Clubs cannot be selfish and they need to realise that they are not the final desired destination for most players

This isn't the 80s anymore where they were just poaching players. The sanfl is a stepping stone, whether you like it or not.

I understand at the end of season Benny and im all for guys having a crack at AFL but not swapping midseason.
So you would be happy if Centrals were sitting top at the halfway point of the season and then had their best 3 or 4 players pinched halfway through the year and ended up missing finals?
De-values the comp even more IMO.

I agree it devalues the comp a bit, but if it provides opportunities for players to play afl then i think it could be worth it.

Fwiw I doubt it would ever be more than 1 or two players per afl club, most clubs wouldn't draft someone at all, if more than 10 people Australia wide got drafted I would be surprised.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Pseudo » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:05 pm

bennymacca wrote:I'm behind a pretty decent security fence and swipe control atm. Should I stay here? :)

Swipe pass? Are the proxy card readers all broken?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:55 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Unfortunately I can see some sad times ahead for the SANFL, Gilligan again stated yesterday that he is keen to look at a midseason draft by 2016, the AFL clubs could possibly raid the state leagues for talent and we have the scenerio where a team near the top of the SANFL ladder midseason suddenly loses players to the AFL, what a joke.
Even worse would be if the Crows or Port pick them up and we have a situation where the player plays against his old club in the same season

Don't be selfish. If this gets more players into the afl, the ultimate goal of almost every young player playing in the sanfl, this is pretty obviously a good thing for those players. Clubs cannot be selfish and they need to realise that they are not the final desired destination for most players

This isn't the 80s anymore where they were just poaching players. The sanfl is a stepping stone, whether you like it or not.

I understand at the end of season Benny and im all for guys having a crack at AFL but not swapping midseason.
So you would be happy if Centrals were sitting top at the halfway point of the season and then had their best 3 or 4 players pinched halfway through the year and ended up missing finals?
De-values the comp even more IMO.

I agree it devalues the comp a bit, but if it provides opportunities for players to play afl then i think it could be worth it.

Fwiw I doubt it would ever be more than 1 or two players per afl club, most clubs wouldn't draft someone at all, if more than 10 people Australia wide got drafted I would be surprised.

It will filter all the way through and devalue all comps

Example being Centrals go and lose Retzlaff mid season this year, what do Centrals do

Sit on there bum and accept they have lost there best key forward or go to the barossa league etc etc and poach some gun forward there with an oppurtunities of playing league football and potential SANFL finals.

Throw in the fact most players like Retzlaff are enticed to the SANFL with job oppurtunities from club sponsors as well, so now u have pissed off a club sponsor because they have lost a staff member they thought they had for at least 6 month period and now have to spend hundreds to thousands re training someone to do the role they just spent hundreds training someobe to do, that will be the last time they offer there service to the club

Then what happens to the country club who have potentially given this bloke 8-15k by mid season and now lose out

It makes me laugh that Aussie Rules Football will be the only sport in the World where every little bit of its exsistance revolves around one league
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:10 pm

drama queen
noun

(informal) a person who tends to react to every situation in an overdramatic or exaggerated manner
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1433 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:18 pm

gossipgirl wrote:drama queen
noun

(informal) a person who tends to react to every situation in an overdramatic or exaggerated manner

Thanks for your usual insightful pearls of wisdom
Jim05
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:29 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Selfish? Are you all there?

You're happy to put a handful of players ahead of an entire competition, and you refer to other people as being selfish?

As Jim said, of course any league outside of the AFL is a stepping stone, and at Norwood we have long promoted our players having careers at the highest level they can get to, as I would imagine most SANFL clubs do. But mid-season player losses has the capacity to remove the only remaining skerrick of integrity remaining in the competition. All so that the AFL can keep their player list costs down.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby westcoastpanther » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:46 pm

I don't know why Benny even comments in the SANFL threads, he has no interest or care for it
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:46 pm

JK wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Selfish? Are you all there?

You're happy to put a handful of players ahead of an entire competition, and you refer to other people as being selfish?

As Jim said, of course any league outside of the AFL is a stepping stone, and at Norwood we have long promoted our players having careers at the highest level they can get to, as I would imagine most SANFL clubs do. But mid-season player losses has the capacity to remove the only remaining skerrick of integrity remaining in the competition. All so that the AFL can keep their player list costs down.

Fair point.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby wild dog » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:44 pm

gossipgirl wrote:drama queen
noun

wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:46 pm

Interesting behaviour by the Crows revealed on the front page of this weeks edition of the Barossa Herald.

The Crows signed 26yr old former Magpie and current Gawler Central player Danny Stanley as a top up player for 2015. In the article Stanley mentioned he had to sign now as the rules were more than likely to change at the end of this season to no one over 23 as a top up player.
They are also chasing former Central District player Charlie Molyneux who would also be over 23.

I guess the Crows have learnt from their AFL counterparts and are looking to bend the rules as well.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby SimonH » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:05 pm

My god—the Crows being worried about signing overaged topup players early because some higher power might change the rules to their detriment, is somewhere between hilarious and bizarre. In the context of the last 2 years, it's like a member of the Politburo signing off the transportation order for 10,000 to the Siberian gulags, and then getting busted for jaywalking across Red Square.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:54 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Oh Benny. You little troll you
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Ron Burgundy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:30 pm

SANFL clubs have been known to recruit players out of the country leagues mid season.
Not so much mentioned about this when it happens, but when SANFL is the little guy there seems to be a few upset.

I can see the point though, if this happens it would be more that one or two players out.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:45 pm

How many players are removed from other comps each season?
Bugger all. 3 to 5? How many would return to those leagues mid season? Probably more.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Anyway...I get the feeling there'll be more to debate very soon.
Who'll be first to post it?
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:58 pm

Nothing? Okay, I'll post it:

SANFL press release:

PLAYER REGULATION CHANGES

The SANFL has announced changes to the Adelaide and Port Adelaide Football Clubs’ player regulation rules in the State League competition for season 2015.
Among the changes, all non-AFL listed players must be aged under 23, cannot be contracted for more than one year or recruited from interstate.
Adelaide will not be permitted to use SANFL players from rival clubs as top-up players next year.
The changes, ratified by the SA Football Commission, have been finalised after the league’s ongoing review of the regulations for Adelaide’s SANFL team and the restructured Port Adelaide Magpies.
The aim of this year’s review was to bring the on-field regulations for both Adelaide and Port Adelaide into line.
All non-AFL aligned SANFL clubs were involved in the review process, with the eight teams provided with an opportunity to recommend changes throughout the consultation period.
Adelaide and Port Adelaide also provided feedback on the proposed regulations during the review.

2015 PLAYER REGULATION CHANGES

1. To be eligible for inclusion on the PAMFC or AFC Supplementary List, a person must be under the age of 23 before January 1 the year in which the player is included on the Supplementary List. A player may play as a top-up player past the age of 23 as long as he is first listed prior to the age of 23. Adelaide and Port Adelaide will be able to retain current contracted players already over the age of 23.
2. PAMFC & AFC cannot contract players for more than one year. This will not impact on current players contracted for more than one season.
3. Players included on the list of AFC or PAMFC cannot be recruited from outside of South Australia. This rule will not be retrospective, allowing those already contracted to Adelaide and Port to continue playing next year.
4. Remove the option for AFC to source top-up players from SANFL clubs. From 2015, Adelaide won’t include players from rival SANFL clubs, with all top-up players to be recruited from Community Football clubs.
Following the changes for 2015, the player regulations will continue to be reviewed by the SANFL, its clubs and AFC and PAFC on an annual basis.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby RB » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Positive developments, although obviously little will change for next season because current players won't be affected etc.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Rising Power » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:09 pm

Virtually no change other than new players have to be under 23, and all the players from this year that the AFL clubs want to keep will stay on for next year and beyond (assuming they want to stay). If you really wanted to stuff the system up the age for new players should be minimum 32 not maximum 23!
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:21 pm

Rising Power wrote:Virtually no change other than new players have to be under 23, and all the players from this year that the AFL clubs want to keep will stay on for next year and beyond (assuming they want to stay). If you really wanted to stuff the system up the age for new players should be minimum 32 not maximum 23!

Wont see the results of these changes for a couple of years, hopefully we see some more restrictions come in before next season
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL