Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Can't disagree with most of that Vics except for the old BYE chestnut. I'm sure most AFL clubs say that playing Melbourne or St Kilda at the moment is like having a BYE, no different to playing certain clubs in our league in some era's. Things can change and there is no club in the SFL that now considers a game against Hackham as an automatic tick in the win column. You have to earn respect and Hackham have done so.

You'll be pleased to know we had a very healthy crowd on Saturday for the Brighton v Cove game. Our famous annual Ladies Day/Night was a huge success and a big thanks to Cove for agreeing to play a night game on the last minor round game of the season.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Blaze of Glory » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Interesting discussions going on regarding the quarter length in the AFL and how it may be a contributing factor to greater injuries the longer the game goes on. the AFL currently plays 20 minutes plus time on compared to the SFL A grade who plays 22 + TO.
Is the shortening of quarters at A grade level something that has been considered, and is it something that would be welcomed?
Blaze of Glory
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Leo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:51 pm

Blaze of Glory wrote:Interesting discussions going on regarding the quarter length in the AFL and how it may be a contributing factor to greater injuries the longer the game goes on. the AFL currently plays 20 minutes plus time on compared to the SFL A grade who plays 22 + TO.
Is the shortening of quarters at A grade level something that has been considered, and is it something that would be welcomed?

I might be wrong because im not a timekeeper, but pretty sure the time on is substantially different in the AFL. I wouldn't think they stop the clock for every ball up and throw in in the SFL. Regardless, I think its all a waste of time. Players get injured. A few less minutes is not going to change that. Pretty sure I saw a stat once that 70% of soft tissue injuries happen in the first 1/4.
Leo
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:36 pm

Correct Leo. AFL plays 20 mins plus time on but the clock stops every time the ball goes out of play. SFL plays 22 mins plus time on but clock doesn't stop when out of bounds unless the umpire blows time off due to ball going some distance over fence or stuck under a car etc. And AFL umpires blow time off far more often for ball ups. One thing I have noticed with many SFL umpires is that they don't blow time off when setting the mark for a player who has marked near goal on an angle. They are supposed to do that because it is also designed to prevent the player from playing on before he blows his whistle to restart the clock.

My main issue with game times is B grade. They really should play longer than straight 20 min qtrs to better prepare them for A grade footy. This would be achievable if we only had a 4 game Saturday.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby vics01 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:57 pm

DTH you are very funny.. Trying to find every little reason to suit Brighton's need for only four games on a Saturday to accommodate SC football
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:56 pm

vics01 wrote:DTH you are very funny.. Trying to find every little reason to suit Brighton's need for only four games on a Saturday to accommodate SC football

There isn't an emoticon for drawing a long bow.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:08 pm

vics01 wrote:DTH you are very funny.. Trying to find every little reason to suit Brighton's need for only four games on a Saturday to accommodate SC football

More like the needs of many clubs Vic's. Only 8 out of 15 clubs fielded 5 teams and Brighton was one of those. You are now involved with a club that only fielded 4 teams this year so you are hardly in a position to question my logic.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mister Footy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:14 am

Down the Hill wrote:

More like the needs of many clubs Vic's. Only 8 out of 15 clubs fielded 5 teams and Brighton was one of those. You are now involved with a club that only fielded 4 teams this year so you are hardly in a position to question my logic.

How many of the 7 clubs that didn't have 5 teams play in Saturday this year expect to have 5 teams fielded on Saturday in 2015?
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby shoe boy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:22 am

Mister Footy wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

How many of the 7 clubs that didn't have 5 teams play in Saturday this year expect to have 5 teams fielded on Saturday in 2015?

While we entertain clubs that are out side the guidelines of the SFL constitution ie- Sunday footy is an overflow and not a stand alone comp who knows?

If option 5 which the majority of clubs voted for change!!! fill sat before sun you would have them clubs finding players.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby afc9798 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:37 am

Down the Hill wrote:

Don't let those facts confuse the point that Vics is making... :lol:
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby afc9798 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:43 am

Get my tips in early for this weeks finals:

Reynella vs Port Noarlunga - Will be closer than most think, Reynella by 13 points
Noarlunga vs Happy Valley- Vikings by 21 (biased yes, but believe we are a genuine chance to upset them this week)
Flagstaff vs Brighton - Bushpigs by 30
Morphett Vale vs Christies- Emus but again believe this will be reasonably close 19 points
afc9798
Reserves

Postby mrp2626 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:05 pm

It is always good seeing other peoples ideas and points of view (as above afc9798)... but my tipping is rather different this week...
Port Noarlunga by 12 points
Noalunga by 32 points
Brighton by 19 points
Morphett Vale by 26 points.

All in all though, will be a great round of footy, and I think that whomever makes it through the elimination finals this week, will certainly not be a walkover next week for the qually losers (as we have occasionally seen in previous years). I look forward to it!
mrp2626
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby afc9798 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:51 pm

mrp2626 wrote:It is always good seeing other peoples ideas and points of view (as above afc9798)... but my tipping is rather different this week...
Noalunga by 32 points
Brighton by 19 points

All in all though, will be a great round of footy, and I think that whomever makes it through the elimination finals this week, will certainly not be a walkover next week for the qually losers (as we have occasionally seen in previous years). I look forward to it!

That's what it's all about, although with the exception of my optimistic tip against Noarlunga, mine are all on form lines. I assume your Brighton tip is also based on that optimism factor. Bushpigs should do it comfortably. They are a much better team this year, except when they play us.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby mrp2626 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Optimistic, yes, Realistic, also yes (in both cases). We have already knocked them off once this year (about 4 weeks ago), Besides our poor performance against the shoes, I think our guys have held our own. I certainly think the big oval will help our young running side. The boys certainly have nothing to lose, and being a young side, you expect some inconsistencies, but on the day, can do some real damage!
mrp2626
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby vics01 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:15 pm

DTH will ask the SFL to make it support you day on Sunday at the gate. i hear you might need it!!

After watching BDOS a couple of times this year and Flaggies I reckon BDOS have got it together at the right time and will knock Flaggies off.
vics01
Reserves

Postby Mister Footy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:26 am

mrp2626 wrote:It is always good seeing other peoples ideas and points of view (as above afc9798)... but my tipping is rather different this week...
Noalunga by 32 points
Brighton by 19 points

Absolutely agree mate the semis will definitely be a cracker game
My tips this week
Happy Valley by a point - just a win is all we need
Reynella by 10 although not convinced about the winies
Morphett Vale by 40
Flaggies by 5 in a very tight contest - line ball this one but reckon they have had a good year with the exception of their game against us

Ah finals.... the smell of freshly cut grass, hot chips, BBQ cooking, linament on tired bodies and a cold beer in my hand. Doesnt get any better than this :D
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:03 pm

Mister Footy wrote:
Noalunga by 32 points
Brighton by 19 points

My tips this week
Morphett Vale by 40
Flaggies by 5 in a very tight contest - line ball this one but reckon they have had a good year with the exception of their game against us

Ah finals.... the smell of freshly cut grass, hot chips, BBQ cooking, linament on tired bodies and a cold beer in my hand. Doesnt get any better than this :D

To each their own but I think most would have just said linament...
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby vics01 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:48 pm

Interesting weekend of footy coming up.. Having a look on sportsbet I see you can bet on community leagues in Victoria would love to have a crack here would be dropping a couple of dollars on the Bombers as a smokey. (yes DTH is hurts to say it)
Last edited by vics01 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
vics01
Reserves

Postby Mister Footy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:
Noalunga by 32 points
Brighton by 19 points

My tips this week
Morphett Vale by 40

To each their own but I think most would have just said linament...

Fair enough mate - reckon you're being a bit picky. Maybe it was just my body that was tired at this stage of the season but I reckon most AFL players are feeling the pain too.

Vices I agree - love a punt but reckon this year it's wide open
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:02 am

Mister Footy wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

i would say we are still a few years away from fielding saturday 14 and 16's but should still have sunday teams. (should make a few people happy)
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL