Elimination Final - South v Eagles @ AO (Sat N 30/8)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Elimination Final - South v Eagles @ AO (Sat N 30/8)

Postby dedja » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:00 am

Hopefully a good match, and on form and sentiment you'd say South to win.

I actually think the Eagles are cooked and South will win in a blow out.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Mickyj » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:57 pm

human_torpedo wrote:I think the Ressies having the week off will hurt Rowntree's chances of playing at league level this season.. Even if The Eagles win tonight, they surely wont pick him next week on the back of no game at all this week? Had the Ressies played this week he would be a sniff next week. He is a class or 2 above ressies footy but the cards havent fallen his way in his comeback from his ACL

Do we know that he will miss ?
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby SANFLnut » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:51 pm

South looked more threatening all night. Very undisciplined performance from Eagles at crucial times. Gave a FAD free kick followed by a 25 penalty late in third and then a late fee kick in a pack early in the last. Both of these cost goals at a time when the Eagles were (somehow?) still in the game. South's depth and run was too good in the end. Eddy was well held again, Brooksby was BOG for me.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby mal » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:00 am

Most important part of this match is that Fester69 left at half time
Fester at the start of the day predicted a Norwood South Grand Final, so far so right

South too quick around the midfield and thats about what won it for them
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby LPH » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:03 am

Panthers too good.
Are they going to do what North did last year - late charge to the Grand Final?
Crowd number? Appeared disappointing :(
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby blueandwhite » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:54 am

Karma bus pulled into Adelaide Oval tonight....and it was a double decker...

GO PANTHERS!
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby saintal » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:56 am

Satisfying win. Wasteful in the first half and perhaps could have been 3 or 4 goals up at HT, but the positive signs were there. Jumped out of the blocks in the 3rd before WWT started to get on-top. Goals either side of 3/4 time from free kicks pivotal in the outcome, with South then running the game out better. Was fairly scrappy at times, plenty of stoppages, inferior footskills and a lack of pace hurting the Eagles.

Brooksby possibly best on ground, particularly enjoyed his work when the ball was there to be won at ground level. Cross again added goals (3) to his disposal count, Dale and Seccull were important, while the backline of Crabb, Fields and Thewlis kept the money men in check. Thought our tackling was excellent all night.

Well done to Powell on his career.
Last edited by saintal on Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Aerie » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:58 am

South way too good. Should've been 6 goals up at 3/4 time. Eagles are spent under Godden. Made finals 3 years in a row and lost every final. Undiscipline, lack of leadership. Godden has brought too many players to the club that don't play the way an Eagles player should.

I'm unsure of what the club stands for. Off the field they gave in to the AFL reserves and losing our heartland as easily as the team gave up this season.

Well done South. The only thing that could save this SANFL season from being a horrible nightmare would be to see South go all the way. The only club that held integrity in a higher regard to potential money. South supporters should be proud and deserve the chance to hang shit on the Eagles and other clubs still in the finals race.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:25 am

I don't reckon anyone could argue that South were the better side throughout the match. Right from the first bounce they strangled our supply and were dominant at the clearances. We were only in the game in the first half due to their poor kicking for goal. We probably should have been about 7 goals down at the final siren.

The eagles again showed they don't have a modern gameplan to counter the opposition dropping a loose defender behind the ball.

Anything short of a complete clean-out over summer is unacceptable and will see us slide further down the ladder.

A ruckman and 2 quality midfielders should be the bare pass mark for the club's recruiting given how far our coach has let our exisiting midfield degrade during his tenure. This could well be a 2-3 year process given the high probability that it won't be achieved next year.

The door needs to be shown to players who have been at the club for a while but have shown they don't have the skills to play at the level needed. Players like Hall, Sumner, Kane and potentially Allmond should be in the cross-hairs.

Other players who are on big $$ - Ainger and Boyd - have both been extremely poor and a waste of money. Once their contracts are up I'd be shipping them on to another club to free up some cash to spend on other talent.

Not too many positives from our season. Von Bertouch should be the Club Champion for mine with Jarrad runner-up. Batley continued to improve but we need to further see him step it up a notch next year. Wundke did what he was paid to do and wasn't helped by lack of delivery from a shite midfield. McGregor was fantastic in the role he was assigned. Finally, Templeton started slowly but upon his return from injury late in the season played reaonably well and looks good as a key defender.

All players in the squad ne
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby BBQ » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:05 am

South did enough but will have to step it up a gear to get over Sturt .
I wish South and it supporters all the best!
BBQ
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:35 am

Good win by South , they are a good team and playing well at the right time.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:37 am

BBQ wrote:South did enough but will have to step it up a gear to get over Sturt .

Yep me too
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby on the rails » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:49 am

johntheclaret wrote:
BBQ wrote:South did enough but will have to step it up a gear to get over Sturt .

Yep me too

As long as the Power Reserves don't win it then I don't care who is the Premier although it would be good if South could go all the way! Hard to see anyone but Norwood winning it though?
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:01 pm

What was with all the hate for Fields at the first bounce and again at start of the third where he actually got dropped by what I would suspect was a punch to the guts?

Thought after Grocke nearly killed Symes he would have left the thuggery at home, bad luck anyway tossbag!! 8)
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby philcas » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:02 pm

Eagles with more frees again it is mind boggling how this happens even when been losing for most of the game. Can any one please let me know how to get the seasons stats for all clubs. It would make intersesting reading
Also do stats show where frees are given ie forward or back.
philcas
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Athelstone

Postby Eagal05 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:05 pm

I have removed this post as I was unaware that there was an avenue for private messaging and so I have decided to remove this from the public forum. Although I stand by my opinions I apologise for any issues this post may have caused by being on a public page.
Last edited by Eagal05 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagal05
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Henley

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:22 pm

Eagal05 wrote:Sorry LPH (or whatever you call yourself these days)
We didn't get to see you at the game last night after all.
What happened? Too busy hiding behind your computer posting your inane comments and too gutless to face your former WWWT friends?
I have read and heard your "dribble" all year about your allegiances (or not) to the SANFL and in particular to your parting of the ways with the WWWT footy club. While you have every right to do what you think is right and you may have quite valid reasons for your decisions, it is not appropriate for you to stick the boots in to our club at every opportunity!
Our players did not vote for the AFL to join the league, but our players (and ex players) hit the field week after week and have had to play against former team mates and their former club - these are the guys I support! If I didn't support them, there is NO WAY I would jump to another club - ask any true supporter of any club - I would sooner sever a limb!!
I am not in favour of the AFL in the SANFL but I would NEVER turn my back on my club!
I remember very clearly that you told me "no matter what, I will always be an Eagles member....I may not be able to attend every game but I will be an Eagles member for life" - Hollow words my friend! Not only did you renege on this, you publically wished for South to "smash" the Eagles last night and throughout the season! Well you got your wish after all!
And before anyone gets on and gives me curry - please note, this has nothing to do with football - it is ENTIRELY personal!!
I wish South all the very best for the rest of the finals - they deserve to be there. You guys played with passion last night showing solid structure and team discipline - well done!
And LPH - I hope you do stay away from the SANFL next year as you say.......it doesn't need you.

It's gonna be a long walk to go get that dummy you just threw out the cot because you launched it for miles!!!

Lol
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Panther » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

This is all I want to say - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby holden78 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:50 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:I don't reckon anyone could argue that South were the better side throughout the match. Right from the first bounce they strangled our supply and were dominant at the clearances. We were only in the game in the first half due to their poor kicking for goal. We probably should have been about 7 goals down at the final siren.

The eagles again showed they don't have a modern gameplan to counter the opposition dropping a loose defender behind the ball.

Anything short of a complete clean-out over summer is unacceptable and will see us slide further down the ladder.

A ruckman and 2 quality midfielders should be the bare pass mark for the club's recruiting given how far our coach has let our exisiting midfield degrade during his tenure. This could well be a 2-3 year process given the high probability that it won't be achieved next year.

The door needs to be shown to players who have been at the club for a while but have shown they don't have the skills to play at the level needed. Players like Hall, Sumner, Kane and potentially Allmond should be in the cross-hairs.

Other players who are on big $$ - Ainger and Boyd - have both been extremely poor and a waste of money. Once their contracts are up I'd be shipping them on to another club to free up some cash to spend on other talent.

Not too many positives from our season. Von Bertouch should be the Club Champion for mine with Jarrad runner-up. Batley continued to improve but we need to further see him step it up a notch next year. Wundke did what he was paid to do and wasn't helped by lack of delivery from a shite midfield. McGregor was fantastic in the role he was assigned. Finally, Templeton started slowly but upon his return from injury late in the season played reaonably well and looks good as a key defender.

All players in the squad ne

South just too good and deserve to move on, their run and spread was always going to tell against a team that needs f a research to plan to play.

The Eagles of 2011 had the perfect balance of quality in Cicca, Parry, Treeby & McKenzie.... some pace with Jarrad, Goldy, Grocke, Toumpas & Tiller .....
hard at it types like Rimmington, Grieger, Thompson, Powell, Cicca, Treeby, Grocke & Parry...... and some x factor types ie. Redden, Day, Allmond & Staple!

That Eagles team last night wouldn't get within 12 to 15 goals of the 2011GF side on a good day; so what we would love to know is how a group of footy men of which half were present in 2011, could seriously think the last three seasons results aren't directly due to their failure to acknowledge some very basic facts.

Leadership has been glossed over and although the Footy dept. acknowledges it as an issue, it gets put in the too hard basket with Godden dragging Powell out past his used by date as if he is the solution :roll:

Godden, with Ronnie like determination, sticks to a basic gamestyle while failing to fully understand just why he was so successful in his first two seasons...... tough seasoned players, targeted league level recruits, to form a team that could carry out Godden's tough gamestyle and grind the opposition down and crack them open. The last 3 seasons finals games have proven that without the cattle to coach, Godden can't succeed especially putting in a few AFL tweaks in his gamestyle, where we actually score less now :oops:

The Board & Footy dept. must recommit the direction of this club now to fully focus on league premiership success only.
All fans/ supporters are only really interested in that and as much as the club might want to think otherwise, anything else is of little interest.

The modern way of footy; block space, run and spread, switch backwards adnauseum, kick it 14.75m continually then turn it over etc. is a game for teams of midfield types ..... it's not Godden footy, it's not Eagles footy......
H78's solution is if Mick wants to do another year then the CEO, Trent and Mick would want to make some decisions on some deadwood tryhards like Blesing, Martyn, Schwarz, Lane etc. while actually getting serious about recruiting pacy hard at it midfielders, about 6, plus a good ruckman!
And leadership needs more then just Jarrad and Rowntree, some genuine quality on field leaders would cut down Godden's workload substantially.
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby blueandwhite » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:08 pm

philcas wrote:Eagles with more frees again it is mind boggling how this happens even when been losing for most of the game. Can any one please let me know how to get the seasons stats for all clubs. It would make intersesting reading
Also do stats show where frees are given ie forward or back.

amazing....
from memory I think the free kick count at 3/4 time was 19-11 in Eagles favour, despite South in my opinion being clearly on top, thankfully it evened up a bit in the last quarter.. :roll:
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL