AFL Finals - week #1

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Finals - week #1

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:06 pm

Suri wrote:I know this is not info for this week but the AFL have really gone above and beyond for the GF entertainment

INTERNATIONAL superstars Tom Jones and Ed Sheeran will perform on Grand Final day
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-01/t ... n-gf-stage

sigh

valleys07 wrote:
David Brent wrote:Seems silly that our clash jumper is fine to wear against Essendon & Carlton etc but not Port.

On a side note if its that important to Port why do they choose to wear their "clash" strip for all away matches even when they don't actually clash eg against Brisbane, Bullies, Freo etc etc??

I don't believe its a clash strip, its more an away strip- worn for every game interstate.

i dont why they dont just mandate that every club wears an away jumper that is predominately white (or a colour that nobody else uses)

would solve so many issues
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby valleys07 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:22 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Massive!

Great to see Kochie and KT go into bat for the club to achieve a desired outcome that suits both parties.

Hopefully this is confirmed and the boys can get back to focusing on the most important task. Winning.

I doubt very much this would bother any of the players or coaching staff

Well FB posts made by Kane Cornes, Jackson Trengove and Brad Ebert suggest otherwise WUB.

Benny- wholeheartedly agree (now there's a refreshing change of pace for you today ;) )- it's at the forefront of KT's argument- can't have one set of rules for some and not others. Not hard for all 18 clubs to have a home strip and clash strip.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby smac » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:29 pm

valleys07 wrote:Benny- wholeheartedly agree (now there's a refreshing change of pace for you today ;) )- it's at the forefront of KT's argument- can't have one set of rules for some and not others.

A little different to his argument with the SANFL clubs tho.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:09 pm

Do you reckon Port would be forced to wear White this week if Andy D was still running the show?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:21 am

Is it just me or does this whole 'guernsey' thing have a 'set up' feel about it to add added spice to the only final this week that doesn't have a natural rivalry.

It all seems very contrived and now they can wear the famous old prison bars etc etc

Just waiting for eddy to chip in and add another angle to the drama
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5612 times
Been liked: 2540 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby stan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 am

whufc wrote:Is it just me or does this whole 'guernsey' thing have a 'set up' feel about it to add added spice to the only final this week that doesn't have a natural rivalry.

It all seems very contrived and now they can wear the famous old prison bars etc etc

Freo and Sydney natural rivals? Not really in the Geelong and Hawthorn realm of rival s.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:51 am

stan wrote:
whufc wrote:Is it just me or does this whole 'guernsey' thing have a 'set up' feel about it to add added spice to the only final this week that doesn't have a natural rivalry.

Freo and Sydney natural rivals? Not really in the Geelong and Hawthorn realm of rival s.

Agree not in the same bracket as the geelong v hawks but havent Freo and Sydney met in a few finals in recent years

I would also guess that the power vs tigers would be the lowest watched final out of the 4 this week.
Last edited by whufc on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5612 times
Been liked: 2540 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:53 am

Who cares what Eddie thinks. I have Collingwood supporters going apeshit about it on my FB news feed. It's a national league, not the VFL and in my genuine opinion Port should be able to wear it when ever they want except against Collingwood as they are the longer established club in the league. FWIW Eddie ok'd it from what I heard but it shouldn't have to come to that....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby stan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:50 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Who cares what Eddie thinks. I have Collingwood supporters going apeshit about it on my FB news feed. It's a national league, not the VFL and in my genuine opinion Port should be able to wear it when ever they want except against Collingwood as they are the longer established club in the league. FWIW Eddie ok'd it from what I heard but it shouldn't have to come to that....

Didn't know he was asked. Really Collingwood will have the same impact as us this fin series......
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:28 am

bennymacca wrote:
Suri wrote:I know this is not info for this week but the AFL have really gone above and beyond for the GF entertainment

INTERNATIONAL superstars Tom Jones and Ed Sheeran will perform on Grand Final day

sigh

valleys07 wrote:
David Brent wrote:Seems silly that our clash jumper is fine to wear against Essendon & Carlton etc but not Port.

On a side note if its that important to Port why do they choose to wear their "clash" strip for all away matches even when they don't actually clash eg against Brisbane, Bullies, Freo etc etc??

I don't believe its a clash strip, its more an away strip- worn for every game interstate.

i dont why they dont just mandate that every club wears an away jumper that is predominately white (or a colour that nobody else uses)

I really don't like seeing clubs wear white when it is not one of their colours.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 451 times
Been liked: 1223 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:33 am

Geelong have had to wear white shorts in finals they've either been the "home" team or "highest ranked team" several times.
Hear as must whinging then?
Why not just design a guernsey with colours and design that clash with noone else when your club comes into existence in the mid 90s hence ensuring no problems down the track?
Poor bastards will look ultra stupid this weekend having two teams in finals and neither wearing their own club's guernsey.
Wankers. :roll:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Johno6 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:34 am

if port lose, does everyone blame the jumpers?
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby nuggety goodness » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:34 am

Back to the footy lads hey...

Winners this week will be;

Hawthorn 27pts - too much quality for Geelong
Fremantle 9pts - have a feeling that th Dockers will do the Swans at ANZ
Nth Melb. - 15pts - although could go either way
Richmond 21pts - have momentum and will not be fazed travelling to AO
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby JK » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:48 am

Flip a coin for most of these, but I'll go ..

Hawks - Think they have a bit more class and belief so should win. Need to stop Hawkins.
Sydney - No McPharlin and Johnson hurts Freo, those two up an about and I'd be tipping the Haze.
North Melbourne - Should win, but I think they're vulnerable to physicality and the Bombers can be good in that department.
Port - The one Im most comfortable with, not sure the Tigers will have enough scoring options.

Wouldn't be surprised to get 0 or 1 from those 4 tips lol.

Jumping off the Roo's (I know, should never change a bet) .. Something been niggling at me that the Bombers will get up here.
Last edited by JK on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:07 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

sigh

valleys07 wrote:

I really don't like seeing clubs wear white when it is not one of their colours.

Or grey...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5535 times
Been liked: 5166 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:26 am

Isn't silver one of the Powers colours they sing about in their song?
Just wear this for every game, no clash, its one of their colours. Problem solved!

silver.JPG
silver.JPG (16.06 KiB) Viewed 480 times
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Sorry Dude » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:48 am

As JK said, all games are close and could go either way!

Geelong - They were playing silly buggers a couple of weeks ago in a game that in the grand scheme of things didn't mean a heap.
Sydney - No McPharlin and Johnson hurts Freo.. Period!
Bombers - Got a kick in the pants last week with the draw. On paper they are (IMO) a stronger side also.
Port - I think the Tiger train can keep on tooting, but Port to strong at home.......Just.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby fish » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:16 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Think there will be one blow out next week

Hawks 13-24
Freo 1-12
Roos 13-24
Power 61-72

Reckon Richmond might have used all their petrol to get here

I reckon you're spot on with those tips and margins.

Have a sneaky suspicion Freo will upset Sydney.

Port should and will beat Richmond easily. Having said that I've underestimated Richmond for the last two months so what do I know?
fish
Coach

Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:21 pm

Mcpharlin ( was already out) and Johnson out for freo! Massive outs for their back 6
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3035 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Hawthorn - Business end of proceedings, the best in the business will fire this weekend. Hawkins can beat Brisbane on his own, he can't and won't beat Hawthorn on his own. Johnson would have to be under a cloud with his foot, not match fit for a final if he does come in.

Hawks by 38.

Sydney - Fremantle's team defence won't be enough to hold Tippett, Franklin, Goodes, McGlynn and co. quiet for long enough. Fremantle are playing more attacking football, but they have to with no McPharlin and Johnson. Fyfe a big in, however. Won't be enough to topple the Swans.

Sydney - 25 points.

Essendon - The toughest game of the weekend for mine, Carlisle is a loss for Essendon and North still missing Harvey. Both sides without one of their best 3 players. Essendon might have been stung by the Carlton draw, they owe each other and their fans some good news.

Essendon - 14 points.

Port - We all know Richmond are flying, Port got beaten by a Fremantle side that got on a roll that Port couldn't stop. Can't wait for this one, atmosphere at the Oval will be at 11.

Port - 22 points.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7520 times
Been liked: 10822 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL