Crows 2014

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2014

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:45 am

Jim05 wrote:
BoundaryRider84 wrote:Not a crows hater at all, but had some banter with a crows supporter last night at work after Richmond won and she was upset, but discussed the highlights. Betts was a win for the crows, a return of 40-50 goals from a small forward is winning. Sam Jacobs had an All Austtalian year, but he needs help other than Jenkins. I'd be chasing Bellchambers, because Graham and McKernan are over priced hacks.

The funny point was when she told me Geelong would fail (knows I'm a cats can). I went on to say its okay the last 7 years has given me great joy. She went on to ask me what we had achieved, should have been better. 07 premiers, 08 Gf, 09 premiers, 10 Prelim, 11 premiers, 12 semi, 13 prelim. She was actually serious! The. She brought up that we hadn't gone back to back like them, a long 16 years ago........gosh still holding on.

Anyway I reckon the crows throw money at Bellchambers, another inside mid, running mid and a senior assistant to help Sando, he seems to be a little one dimensional. I hear Bomber might be free, now King Druggy is back at Essendon.

You obviously didnt see yesterdays game, Bellchambers was BOG for Carlton, absolutely putrid game. Has been treading water for a couple of years now. The only positive he provides us is it lets Paddy float around the ground more when he is in the side. Id be open to moving him on, I know we are keen on Kerridge perhaps a deal may get done. As for Bomber I think he may stay on now, Goody will head back to the Crows and Bomber will step back in as an assistant, he loves this group and Hird and the club want him to stay. He also has stated numerous times he would never move outside of Victoria no matter the price

Just think Bellchambers can free up Jenkins so that he can play permanent forward. I rate Bellchambers lots more than McKernan and Graham that is for sure.
No i didn't see Bellchambers game yesterday, I was too busy watching a certain 'reserves' semi in the lovely Barossa ;-)
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby kickinit » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:46 am

TEX07 wrote:How was the setup going to be? I thought I heard somewhere it was almost 50/50? If that was the case it would have been unfair - power fans would have clearly earns the right to outnumber the crows. It's not an issue now anyway - the finals games should actually be good contests this year!

As a crows supporter I actually have never liked Nigel Smart - always looked arrogant to me as a player and the state guernsey thing proved his arrogance off.

Tickets go on sale monday 9am till 1pm for both club members, then after 1pm it opens up to the public.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby the joker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:50 am

BoundaryRider84 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
BoundaryRider84 wrote:Not a crows hater at all, but had some banter with a crows supporter last night at work after Richmond won and she was upset, but discussed the highlights. Betts was a win for the crows, a return of 40-50 goals from a small forward is winning. Sam Jacobs had an All Austtalian year, but he needs help other than Jenkins. I'd be chasing Bellchambers, because Graham and McKernan are over priced hacks.

The funny point was when she told me Geelong would fail (knows I'm a cats can). I went on to say its okay the last 7 years has given me great joy. She went on to ask me what we had achieved, should have been better. 07 premiers, 08 Gf, 09 premiers, 10 Prelim, 11 premiers, 12 semi, 13 prelim. She was actually serious! The. She brought up that we hadn't gone back to back like them, a long 16 years ago........gosh still holding on.

Anyway I reckon the crows throw money at Bellchambers, another inside mid, running mid and a senior assistant to help Sando, he seems to be a little one dimensional. I hear Bomber might be free, now King Druggy is back at Essendon.

You obviously didnt see yesterdays game, Bellchambers was BOG for Carlton, absolutely putrid game. Has been treading water for a couple of years now. The only positive he provides us is it lets Paddy float around the ground more when he is in the side. Id be open to moving him on, I know we are keen on Kerridge perhaps a deal may get done. As for Bomber I think he may stay on now, Goody will head back to the Crows and Bomber will step back in as an assistant, he loves this group and Hird and the club want him to stay. He also has stated numerous times he would never move outside of Victoria no matter the price

Just think Bellchambers can free up Jenkins so that he can play permanent forward. I rate Bellchambers lots more than McKernan and Graham that is for sure.
No i didn't see Bellchambers game yesterday, I was too busy watching a certain 'reserves' semi in the lovely Barossa ;-)
crows won't want to get a free agent this year. With walker, sloane and dangerfield. All out of contract next year they need the cash
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby cracka » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:14 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Bugger. Sando did say he has spoken to Bomber about it but I agree, he will stay at Essendon.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby bennymacca » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:19 pm

yep good post. and lol at that chick thinking geelong havent done well. probably the best team ever (or at least in the first few, not winning any back to back probably hurts them if we are talking about that)

agree about betts and belly too.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times

Postby bennymacca » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:16 pm

helicopterking wrote:Do you think Jenkins could hold down a Key position In the back line? If you get another Ruck, and you play them both, you could possibly move him to Full Back, Talia to CHB.

Seems to be playing back today, good call!
bennymacca
Coach

Postby CoverKing » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:04 pm

Didnt Geelong get knocked out in an elimination final one year recently by freo? 2012 from memory
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:39 pm

CoverKing wrote:

Didnt Geelong get knocked out in an elimination final one year recently by freo? 2012 from memory

Yep. But that's one we choose to forget. ;)

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Double A saying the crows are also interested in goldsack, and Simon Goodwin bought a house in essendon so doesn't look like coming back soon as a possible assistant coach
Last edited by bennymacca on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:03 pm

bennymacca wrote:Double A saying the crows are also interested in goldsack, and Simon Goodwin bought a house in essendon so doesn't look Lorien coming back soon as a possible assistant coach

Goody was never coming back.
Sold all the remaining shares in his Adelaide pubs a while back and is very happy in Melbourne. On really good coin at Essendon and about to sign an extension apparantly
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby kickinit » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:52 pm

bennymacca wrote:Double A saying the crows are also interested in goldsack, and Simon Goodwin bought a house in essendon so doesn't look like coming back soon as a possible assistant coach

IMO the crows need someone better then Goldsack. The crows are missing a second key forward and a second key defender. Pods is holding the second key forward spot atm but hasn't got much left. Jenkins I see as a back up ruck men third string forward.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:01 pm

goldsack would fill the role vacated by otten i would think. not sure i 100% agree with it but if he is going cheap then there are certainly worse players out there. would rather him than gwilt.

and jenkins did kick 40 goals this year. if we can get 40 from jenkins, 40-50 from betts, and 40-50 from tex next year, and 20 each from pods and lynch, that is a pretty damn good forward line.

terry wallace made a great point on the radio this arvo. he said the crows were the team that he was frustrated by the most, because they should be much better than what they show.

we have probably the best stopper in the league, one of the better half back flanks, one of the best ruckmen, the third best attack in the league, and a midfield that contains sloane and dangerfield, and yet we only finished 10th!

his observation was that if the crows were allowed to play "their" way, they played really well, but as soon as someone put a stop to that, usually by pressuring the ball carrier to force turnovers, they were really really average and their plan B just didnt stack up.

I think that sums up the crows perfectly. is it coaching? possibly. they mentioned someone like neil balme as a possible football director, which i think would be a great get if possible. we definitely need some more experienced people to help out sando.

one thing he didnt mention which i think is pretty obvious is that our defence is pretty leaky this year, except for talia. we were exposed by having thompson, otten, hartigan or henderson as the third tall, as they are all pretty average when left one out.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:16 pm

Why all the love for Goldsack?
Reckon Gwilt's stats this year would be far better. Didnt Goldsack average only 4 or 5 kicks a game this season, hardly a world beater
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby carey » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:30 pm

Best stopper in the league???? Surly you kid!
A 2 man midfield????? Others have much more depth in the midfield.
A running half back??? Smith yes he runs and Talia yes the rest of your defenders are laughable

Facts are you have way to many B + C grade footballers. Your top end is good although thin but they are so heavily relied on it's tough for them to perform week in week out when it all falls on there shoulders ever week.

Lyons, McKay, brown, Henderson, Jenecsh, Wright, Reilly, Thompson, Ellis yoman, spudtrenko and Kerridge all B grade footballers at best yet the likes of Matt Crouch and Grigg can't get a game you have to be kidding me.

Sando has plan A and that's it when it works wow down hill skiers a plenty but when it gets tough and time for plan B where did everyone go????

Why trade for a another B grader at best in Goldsack? May as well of kept Callinan
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:37 pm

name a better stopper than talia at the moment? he is 22 and a lock for the all australian team.

carey wrote:A 2 man midfield????? Others have much more depth in the midfield.

i would contend the crows have a top eight midfield. dont think that is too controversial.

carey wrote:A running half back??? Smith yes he runs and Talia yes the rest of your defenders are laughable

guess you didnt actually read my post.

carey wrote:Lyons, McKay, brown, Henderson, Jenecsh, Wright, Reilly, Thompson, Ellis yoman, spudtrenko and Kerridge all B grade footballers at best yet the likes of Matt Crouch and Grigg can't get a game you have to be kidding me.

lyons, brown, jaensch, wright, thompson, kerridge are all under the age of 24. once again you guys are so quick to write off people.

carey wrote:Sando has plan A and that's it when it works wow down hill skiers a plenty but when it gets tough and time for plan B where did everyone go????

isnt that what i said?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:54 pm

bennymacca wrote:name a better stopper than talia at the moment? he is 22 and a lock for the all australian team.

LONERGAN.

carey wrote:A 2 man midfield????? Others have much more depth in the midfield.

i would contend the crows have a top eight midfield. dont think that is too controversial.

No way Jose. Too many go missing too often. Thompson is done and Sloane and Danger's D/E is not that great. Douglas has been poor this season and McKay is B Grader at best.

carey wrote:A running half back??? Smith yes he runs and Talia yes the rest of your defenders are laughable

guess you didnt actually read my post.

carey wrote:Lyons, McKay, brown, Henderson, Jenecsh, Wright, Reilly, Thompson, Ellis yoman, spudtrenko and Kerridge all B grade footballers at best yet the likes of Matt Crouch and Grigg can't get a game you have to be kidding me.

lyons, brown, jaensch, wright, thompson, kerridge are all under the age of 24. once again you guys are so quick to write off people.

If they were under 21 you might be right.

carey wrote:Sando has plan A and that's it when it works wow down hill skiers a plenty but when it gets tough and time for plan B where did everyone go????

isnt that what i said?

Sando not the only coach without a plan B I reckon.

Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:33 pm

IMO coaches box and midfield are the 2 areas we are most deficient. It’s certainly not panic stations but these 2 areas we must improve on going fwd
Sando has been outcoached more often than not, glaringly obvious when he allowed Richmond in the wet have +1 at the stoppage in favour of us having +1 in defence. This allowed Richmond free ball inside 50 which is half the f* cking challenge in the wet. End result was inevitable!

We are too shallow in our midfield, you can say what you like about who is B C graders etc all sides need these players you can’t have all A graders.
Second/third rotations which include the likes of Wright, Martin, Lyons will always get picked apart let alone when another player has a below par game. Danger, Thomo and Sloane hold their own against anyone, B Crouch is developing ok, Douglas had a poor year but is a serviceable midfielder but after that we are still looking. Kerridge has shown glimpses of what he can do, but he isnt an A grader and will prob end up being serviceable ala Douglas.

Grigg and M Crouch will no doubt have more AFL time next year (personally would have given them more of a go this year). But we still need to find/develop better options to go through that midfield.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:39 pm

Yep I think the crouch brothers and grigg should play next year and run through the midfield
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:46 pm

bennymacca wrote:Yep I think the crouch brothers and grigg should play next year and run through the midfield

Matt finds the ball, but wastes it too often, clearly something the coaches notice as his 30+ disposal games this year didn't get him elevated when others in the AFL side were battling. Also, he's a plodder, Adelaide need to inject more pace, not slow the mids down.

He'll have to bide his time IMO.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:51 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Yep I think the crouch brothers and grigg should play next year and run through the midfield

Matt finds the ball, but wastes it too often, clearly something the coaches notice as his 30+ disposal games this year didn't get him elevated when others in the AFL side were battling. Also, he's a plodder, Adelaide need to inject more pace, not slow the mids down.

He'll have to bide his time IMO.

Matt will replace Thomo, pace certainly an issue not only in the mids but across the ground!
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL