Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: Crows 2014

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Your backline stinks.
Talia, great stopper, doesnt create anything
Smith great attacking defender, defence questionable
The rest wouldnt get a game in any of the top 6 sides.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:17 pm

The biggest thing for Adelaide's back 6-8, none of them make you wonder where they are or if they're closing in on you.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby TEX07 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:28 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Your backline stinks.
Talia, great stopper, doesnt create anything
Smith great attacking defender, defence questionable
The rest wouldnt get a game in any of the top 6 sides.

I would add that the games we lost by small margins our decision making when we had the footy in defense was terrible - guys like Laird, Brown and Henderson while doing a job would definately struggle to get a game in a higher placed side - You need Talia to be a stopper, let the good forwards off and they hurt - I think if we had better help down back Smith could be pushed up the ground further - even as a defensive wingman. But I tend t agree our defense is smelly!
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:41 pm

I think Brown will end up being ok as the small lock down defender, certainly had an average year and seemed low on confidence.

Hartigan had a few good games and a few bad games so jury still out on him being able to hold down a key defensive post.

Jeansch had his best year, turns the ball over occasionally but he does try and take the game on. He was far from our worst.

The rest who floated through the defence certainly need to improve.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby JK » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:52 pm

I've defended the worth of Betts this year, but there is one downside and for mine it conflicts with one of Sanderson's recent comments, regarding the Crows collectively becoming a more defensively oriented team.

Betts statistically is very strong offensively. His numbers for goals scored and assists stack up. However on several occasions I watched them this year, when the Crows were trying to press in the midfield or half-forward Betts was the weak link, because he was already heading toward the open space in front of his goal BEFORE they had caused the turnover (and which they didn't but may well have, had Eddie contributed to it).

I'm not sure you'll be able to get both qualities out of him, but if you want a strong defensive ethos it has to run through the team to a man imho.

Will be interesting to see how Sanderson plays it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:00 pm

JK wrote:I've defended the worth of Betts this year, but there is one downside and for mine it conflicts with one of Sanderson's recent comments, regarding the Crows collectively becoming a more defensively oriented team.

Betts statistically is very strong offensively. His numbers for goals scored and assists stack up. However on several occasions I watched them this year, when the Crows were trying to press in the midfield or half-forward Betts was the weak link, because he was already heading toward the open space in front of his goal BEFORE they had caused the turnover (and which they didn't but may well have, had Eddie contributed to it).

I'm not sure you'll be able to get both qualities out of him, but if you want a strong defensive ethos it has to run through the team to a man imho.

I understand what you are saying JK, Im not sure what the stats say as far as Eddies pressure acts and defensive tackles etc, but id probably rather his offensive output otherwise we may as well play petrenko :oops: if you know what I mean. I think his offensive positives far outweigh his defensive negatives.

I used to get so frustrated with Chris Knights for exactly what you have said though :lol:
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:10 pm

Footy Smart wrote:I think Brown will end up being ok as the small lock down defender, certainly had an average year and seemed low on confidence.

Hartigan had a few good games and a few bad games so jury still out on him being able to hold down a key defensive post.

Jeansch had his best year, turns the ball over occasionally but he does try and take the game on. He was far from our worst.

The rest who floated through the defence certainly need to improve.

Agree with all of that except for jaensch turning it over - he goes at over 90% kicking efficiency. Now I think he kicks too short a lot of the time, and he is nowhere near as penetrating as smith, which I think he could and should be, but he doesn't turn it over.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby the joker » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
JK wrote:I've defended the worth of Betts this year, but there is one downside and for mine it conflicts with one of Sanderson's recent comments, regarding the Crows collectively becoming a more defensively oriented team.

I understand what you are saying JK, Im not sure what the stats say as far as Eddies pressure acts and defensive tackles etc, but id probably rather his offensive output otherwise we may as well play petrenko :oops: if you know what I mean. I think his offensive positives far outweigh his defensive negatives.

I used to get so frustrated with Chris Knights for exactly what you have said though :lol:
he averaged 4 tackles a game.
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:12 pm

Footy Smart wrote:

I think when the ball is in his area his pressure acts are first class, especially his second and third efforts when the ball is in dispute, but I don't think he works hard enough when the other team breaks. You rarely see him in the half back flank following his man down etc. definitely something he can work on, but overall betts has been a win for the crows imo
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:37 pm

I think Betts is happy to press, tackle and harass if the contest is within goal scoring range or at worst goal assist range. As noted, you don't see him on the back end of the wing earning a kick when he is having a quiet patch, which he does have.

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby helicopterking » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:21 pm

I had a look at Adelaides List, of the blokes I have seen play, these blokes need to go.

B.Reiley, Rutten, Petrenko, Graham, McKernan, Porplyzia.

Guys I haven't seen and don't know how they go.

Siggins, R.Knight, S.Shaw, R.Atkins, Osborne, Battersby, Spina, Kelly.

You need at least 2 of those unseen blokes to really come on next year or It may be another so-so year.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby JK » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:44 pm

Footy Smart wrote:

Yep fair call mate, you guys would watch them more than me and this and Benny, Booney etc explanations sound about right.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty hounds » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:01 pm

Brisbane will be listening to offers for Daniel Merrett. Should the Crows make a play for him?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:06 pm

mighty hounds wrote:Brisbane will be listening to offers for Daniel Merrett. Should the Crows make a play for him?

Reckon he will be at GWS
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Chuck Wepner » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:13 pm

mighty hounds wrote:Brisbane will be listening to offers for Daniel Merrett. Should the Crows make a play for him?

Merrett probably wants to play finals, though... :?
I say no to drugs, but they don’t listen.
Chuck Wepner
Under 16s

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: United Yeelanna

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:24 pm

How old is he? Reckon he would be pretty solid for the crows, or any team really, where he doesn't have to hold down the defence all by himself.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:25 pm

He is 29, not worth it for the crows imo
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Ron Burgundy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:51 pm

bennymacca wrote:He is 29, not worth it for the crows imo

He is average. We have recruited enough average players in the past.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:26 pm

Not wrong with going defensive.
"Offense gets membership and defence gets premierships"
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL