6%
Adelaide Uni
2%

Total votes : 54

Re: SAAFL Division 7 2014

Postby jo172 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:11 pm

Q. wrote:32 game suspension :shock:

Guessing they'll be on restrictions next year

EDIT - The Real story has to be the Scotch bloke being done for headbutting. That I assume would be rare
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby adr107 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Q. wrote:32 game suspension :shock:

Racial Vilification? Absolutely disgusting and should be banned for a very long time. As should anybody who believes that is acceptable.
adr107
Under 16s

Has liked: 305 times
Been liked: 83 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Is that the same Damian Rigney that played at South Adelaide?

Don't want to make excuses or try and justify someone else actions, but given the feedback that came out from the game, could the umpire have played his fair part in creating this situation and is the punishment a bit extreme?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby adr107 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:25 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Is that the same Damian Rigney that played at South Adelaide?

Don't want to make excuses or try and justify someone else actions, but given the feedback that came out from the game, could the umpire have played his fair part in creating this situation and is the punishment a bit extreme?

There is no place in this game, or any facet of life for racism.

Nor is there any place for physical threats or harm to an offical.
adr107
Under 16s

Has liked: 305 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:32 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Is that the same Damian Rigney that played at South Adelaide?

Not trying to create an argument PG- but under no circumstance, no matter how severe, should someone have to resort to racial slurs.

Having recalled reading previous posts concerning racial vilification and race for that matter on this site- I would expect you, along with all posters on this site, to be in agreeance that this act is unacceptable no matter the circumstance. If he is to be found guilty- hope he gets the book thrown at him.

No place for that in society, let alone sport.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:39 pm

adr107 wrote:There is no place in this game, or any facet of life for racism.

I'm in no way condoning any of those things, I'm just questioning how much influence the umpire had in this and if the penalty was fitting to the actual incident that occured.

If Rigney didn't defend himself at the tribunal either or no one from North Pines presented a defence then the umpire could've said what he liked and blown it out of proportion.

Reading each individual charge, it makes for nasty reading, but what's to say that this umpire - who was accused of being a blantant cheat - gave a free kick or ignored an incident during the game, Rigney went over to question about it, went to explain the situation and show the umpire how he was being held or something (attempt to make contact to an umpire), was treated with total distain and disregard, so he calls him a d*ckhead or similar (abusing an umpire), or the umpire makes a comment about Rigney attacking him and Rigney reples something along the lines of "If i wanted to hit you i would've d*ckhead" (abusing an umpire & threatening an umpire).

Still not good from Rigney, but what i'm trying to get at is does that warrant 32 games and could the umpire have handled the situation better from his side of things to negate the situation?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:41 pm

valleys07 wrote:Having recalled reading previous posts concerning racial vilification and race for that matter on this site- I would expect you, along with all posters on this site, to be in agreeance that this act is unacceptable no matter the circumstance. If he is to be found guilty- hope he gets the book thrown at him.

I do totally agree with that, and you wont get any arguments from me on that topic, but i'm not defending the bloke, i'm questioning the actual events of the incident and severity of the punishment.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Having recalled reading previous posts concerning racial vilification and race for that matter on this site- I would expect you, along with all posters on this site, to be in agreeance that this act is unacceptable no matter the circumstance. If he is to be found guilty- hope he gets the book thrown at him.

I do totally agree with that, and you wont get any arguments from me on that topic, but i'm not defending the bloke, i'm questioning the actual events of the incident and severity of the punishment.

And fair call too mate. I guess the golden rule is, no matter how shit an umpire is- he isn't going to change is mind. Yeah it can cost you a match or a final, but resorting to threats of physical violence (whether literal or aimed at intimidation)/racial slurs is plain wrong and pointless.
Last edited by valleys07 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:45 pm

If I was the SAAFL I would be questioning why this occured? What makes players suddenly snap and act like this? What was the build up to it? Could it have been avoided or handled better?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Arch44 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:45 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

I'm in no way condoning any of those things, I'm just questioning how much influence the umpire had in this and if the penalty was fitting to the actual incident that occured.

If Rigney didn't defend himself at the tribunal either or no one from North Pines presented a defence then the umpire could've said what he liked and blown it out of proportion.

Reading each individual charge, it makes for nasty reading, but what's to say that this umpire - who was accused of being a blantant cheat - gave a free kick or ignored an incident during the game, Rigney went over to question about it, went to explain the situation and show the umpire how he was being held or something (attempt to make contact to an umpire), was treated with total distain and disregard, so he calls him a d*ckhead or similar (abusing an umpire), or the umpire makes a comment about Rigney attacking him and Rigney reples something along the lines of "If i wanted to hit you i would've d*ckhead" (abusing an umpire & threatening an umpire).

Still not good from Rigney, but what i'm trying to get at is does that warrant 32 games and could the umpire have handled the situation better from his side of things to negate the situation?

Nth Pines were at the tribunal the same time as the medal count was on I believe.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:47 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

What if Rigney walked over to the League Umpire, a neutral, just trying his best to keep control of hot heads, belted the umpire while he was looking away, stood over him calling him a weak, pathetic wog who he'd get in the car park after the game?

My point is I'm not sure hypotheticals where we have no idea what happened, let alone what the Tribunal heard are absolutely useless.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:If I was the SAAFL I would be questioning why this occured? What makes players suddenly snap and act like this? What was the build up to it? Could it have been avoided or handled better?

Surely this comes out in the wash with the umpires & club evidence??

Look at both sets of evidence and take it from there.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Q. » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:If I was the SAAFL I would be questioning why this occured? What makes players suddenly snap and act like this? What was the build up to it? Could it have been avoided or handled better?

Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:54 pm

jo172 wrote:What if Rigney walked over to the League Umpire, a neutral, just trying his best to keep control of hot heads, belted the umpire while he was looking away, stood over him calling him a weak, pathetic wog who he'd get in the car park after the game?

My point is I'm not sure hypotheticals where we have no idea what happened, let alone what the Tribunal heard are absolutely useless.

Yeah that's fair.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Bluedemon » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:14 pm

do we ever hear the umpires version of things?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Bluedemon » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:15 pm

How has North Pines been before this incident for those that have played against them or watched them at all?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Ash Man » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:43 pm

The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times

Postby Yank Man » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:54 pm

Bluedemon wrote:How has North Pines been before this incident for those that have played against them or watched them at all?

Q has made comment on that in prior posts and my previous experiences with them reiterates his comments.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:54 pm

Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:03 pm

It's okay to question PG.

I question whether racial vilification of a white dude is even possible, though that might be a philosophical debate best left for other forums.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League