We Need You South

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: We Need You South

Postby dedja » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:40 pm

C'mon BP, pay attention ... Knuckles didn't win a flag at Central, let alone the last one
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Pseudo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:11 pm

dedja wrote:Not for this little black duck ... every other team but mine are top blokes.

edited for SL.org compatibility. :D
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby dedja » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:12 pm

I see what you did there ... :lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Douglas Mawson » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:02 am

Thanks Snout's boys......back on topic....We need you South!

C'arn F'ers!
Douglas Mawson
Rookie

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:06 am

Rising Power wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
RB wrote:Yeah, it's hard to imagine how they've improved so much after winning 31 of their previous 100 games before this season.

It's like they have reinvented themselves.

Oh I'm sorry, I was told the Magpies were dead and there's a new team going around called Port Power Reserves. I guess they were wrong.

You're a Port fan. You'll believe anything that comes out of Alberton
Baaaaa
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:15 am

johntheclaret wrote:
Rising Power wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
RB wrote:Yeah, it's hard to imagine how they've improved so much after winning 31 of their previous 100 games before this season.

Oh I'm sorry, I was told the Magpies were dead and there's a new team going around called Port Power Reserves. I guess they were wrong.

Baaaaa

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Rising Power » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:12 am

johntheclaret wrote:
Rising Power wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

Baaaaa

You might be thinking of Gepps Cross there fella
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:14 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
Rising Power wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

Baaaaa

He's the Black and White sheep of the family.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:16 pm

johntheclaret wrote:

Will the real Teal Slim Shady please stand up, please stand up.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby SimonH » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:07 pm

I thought that Zac Millbank's comment that "South has never won three finals in succession" could only be right in an artist's-impression kind of way. He meant that they'd never won 3 finals in a row in the one season, right? But on a quick look at the records it seems like he's absolutely right. South have not won any 3 finals in a row it's played across any timeframe, ever*.

Man, that's a lot of history to overcome. But this is the year for disregarding history. You can do it, South.

* Nerdy postscript: You had to win at least 2 in a row to win a flag under the final-4 system (as with the current final-5 system), and so after their 3 flags in the 20th century, South bombed out in their first final the next year in each of 1936, 1939 and 1965. The only time they've won their next final after winning a flag was in 1900 after the 1899 flag, but even that only amounted to 2 in a row—1899 was in the very early days of finals being played, and so South won the flag by winning just one final. (It was done by the bizarre system of South playing 2nd placed Norwood, losing, and then playing them again in the 'challenge final' the next week and winning; that was the whole finals series.) South went on to lose the 1900 GF, ending that winning streak at 2.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby RB » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:15 pm

SimonH wrote:It was done by the bizarre system of South playing 2nd placed Norwood, losing, and then playing them again in the 'challenge final' the next week and winning; that was the whole finals series.

Great - that's how the finals series should work in future, with the two spots to be filled by wildcards given to the Crows and Power reserves teams.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:06 pm

SimonH wrote:I thought that Zac Millbank's comment that "South has never won three finals in succession" could only be right in an artist's-impression kind of way. He meant that they'd never won 3 finals in a row in the one season, right? But on a quick look at the records it seems like he's absolutely right. South have not won any 3 finals in a row it's played across any timeframe, ever*.

Man, that's a lot of history to overcome. But this is the year for disregarding history. You can do it, South.

* Nerdy postscript: You had to win at least 2 in a row to win a flag under the final-4 system (as with the current final-5 system), and so after their 3 flags in the 20th century, South bombed out in their first final the next year in each of 1936, 1939 and 1965. The only time they've won their next final after winning a flag was in 1900 after the 1899 flag, but even that only amounted to 2 in a row—1899 was in the very early days of finals being played, and so South won the flag by winning just one final. (It was done by the bizarre system of South playing 2nd placed Norwood, losing, and then playing them again in the 'challenge final' the next week and winning; that was the whole finals series.) South went on to lose the 1900 GF, ending that winning streak at 2.

Nice work there Simon.
Let's hope this is the year to re-write history.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:07 pm

RB wrote:
SimonH wrote:It was done by the bizarre system of South playing 2nd placed Norwood, losing, and then playing them again in the 'challenge final' the next week and winning; that was the whole finals series.

Great - that's how the finals series should work in future, with the two spots to be filled by wildcards given to the Crows and Power reserves teams.

Oi, get your own troll :D
johntheclaret
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL