Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby vics01 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:30 am

Wasn't too long ago in a C grade game where a Family club player got belted (in a blue) and the family club screamed blue murder went to the law got their day in court.. Wonder what they will make of this one. Without knowing the extent of the injuries here they certainly sound more serious. Young fellow may have his day yet
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby fiftympenalty » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:34 am

What a piss weak effort by the league. Gotta do what's necessary to stamp these disgusting acts out of the game, which they did not. Also the offender is an absolute loser. Only benefit I can see of him not getting a life ban is that the porties boys will have a chance to hurt him back next time they meet. Such a poor penalty handed out by the league is to blame for any forthcoming retaliation. And boy do I hope there is some severe retaliation because the victims life is essentially ruined
fiftympenalty
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby vics01 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:39 am

Bad weekend all round for Flaggies.. Whinge about the 18 game the rules have been in place for a few years now.. Nobody saw fit to complain before this result.. End of day Flaggies rushed the behind, not the wind or anything else.
vics01
Reserves

Postby MatteeG » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR wrote:What do you want us to say EV?

Nobody likes to see or hear about a player seriously injured playing sport.
I was on far side of oval so didn't see it happen, just the player being assisted off.

Nobody from Flaggies defended our player on the day, or in here
It happened down the far end away from the majority of spectators. As posters can't give any further info, we aren't really in a position to say anything worthwhile.

Once the outcome of the tribunal is known, and our delegate provides information to them, the club will respond to our members.

outcome is now known. Looking forward to you response

I wasn't at the game EV, but from what I have heard it is a big black mark against our player. I'm sure as a club we will work out the best course of action going forward.
5 weeks suspension seems vastly inadequate assuming the damage to the lad is accurate as reported on here. Hoping our world leading medical folk can get him as close as possible to a full recovery.
Once again we are shown how much damage can be done with one punch. It cant be stressed enough.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby mrp2626 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:22 pm

I wish the bloke all the best for his recovery..... It makes my mind boggle, how the bloke that hit him can only get 5 games! Absolute Disgrace. There are incidents on the field which can be excusable.... A Late hit, a High bump or tackle, even a trip in the heat of action, or a stray elbow, whilst definately not condoned could be explained, because they are just badly executed and sometimes 'roughed up' in the heat of a moment, but a king hit is definately not even close to the same thing. It has NO PLACE in our great game, and I think the tribunal really need to have a hard look at themselves.

Brighton captain got 6 for a stray elbow (which resulted in significantly less damage to the opposition) last year... But I guess the league set a precedent when Mckenzie from Valley's only got 5 for a similar incident to the weekends (by the sounds of it). I would be interested to hear if anything else resulted from Maccas hit?!

Given the current penatly's what is to stop a team targetting an opposition best player with a king hit, eg. a Jonny Eagleton, or a Bayly , Rivers etc. late in the season and ruining not only the players career/life , but the teams finals campaigns. and all the offending player cops is an extended pre-season the following year.... WHAT A JOKE !!!!
mrp2626
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:46 pm

fiftympenalty wrote:What a piss weak effort by the league. Gotta do what's necessary to stamp these disgusting acts out of the game, which they did not. Also the offender is an absolute loser. Only benefit I can see of him not getting a life ban is that the porties boys will have a chance to hurt him back next time they meet. Such a poor penalty handed out by the league is to blame for any forthcoming retaliation. And boy do I hope there is some severe retaliation because the victims life is essentially ruined

Do we know who the commissioners hearing it were?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Leo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:03 pm

For as long as I have been involved in the SFL as a player, coach, etc (about 26 years), they have never once shown any intent to deter high grade, on field violence. By High grade, I mean behind play, pre meditated, coward punches that have no place at all in our game. As long as this is the case, we will continue to see ugly incidents blighting the game. A former SFL player was last week suspended in the AAFL league for a total of 32 matches for various offences, thus resulting in a life ban because he has gone over the 16 game threshold. Kudos to that league for getting rid of someone that has no place on a football field. At this rate, the offending player here can do this another 2 times and still be allowed to play football. What do you think the result would be if the victim was a child of someone on the tribunal panel?? In any legal system, there is right to appeal. Surely there is a way that the clubs can appeal this decision citing it as manifestly inadequate? Or is it just another case of "What we say is final?" by the league. If it is allowed to be swept under the carpet, then we will be here again in less than 12 months talking about another tragic circumstance involving a young innocent footballer. Shame on the SFL.
Leo
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Spangy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Just another reason why the SFL competition sucks & other leagues around it are far better quality & more competitive.. All I can say as being a SFL player for 10 years in the competition, I wished I left it earlier to join another league...
Spangy

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Ramblers

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:39 pm

Spangy wrote:Just another reason why the SFL competition sucks & other leagues around it are far better quality & more competitive.. All I can say as being a SFL player for 10 years in the competition, I wished I left it earlier to join another league...

Thanks for that input, very helpful :roll:
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Spangy wrote:Just another reason why the SFL competition sucks & other leagues around it are far better quality & more competitive.. All I can say as being a SFL player for 10 years in the competition, I wished I left it earlier to join another league...

I know you have little man syndrome Spangy but that is a bit harsh. So you now play in a league that has 7 teams and a final 5 and the season was done and dusted for 2 clubs after a few rounds. Really competitive!!!! And possibly with the exception of the 2 MB teams, the rest of the clubs have bought whatever success they have had. And what about the Ladhams suspension circus a couple of years ago and how the "better quality league" and a club in the league handled that. Add to that the full season circus of the Meningie FC last year.

Plenty of posters didn't see the incident but it appears the tribunal was lenient. On the other hand the tribunal is pretty good at handing out 2 and 3 game suspensions for incidents that may have only got a Severe Reprimand a few years back so that is where the frustration is. The suspension gap between low to medium grade offences and the most serious offences is fairly small.

Fortunately these incidents are few and far between in the SFL these days but finals footy can make some blokes snap and this has occurred in the last couple of years.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times

Postby Mister Footy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:20 pm

Didn't see the incident so not going to comment other than to say hope the lad is recovering ok.

The McKenzie incident has been referred to recently and whilst I am not going to condone what was done it staggers me the level of abuse directed at him this finals series from spectators of many different clubs including outside the SFL with reference on what these morons would like to do to him and his sons. Yeah have a good sledge but surely there is a line that shouldn't be crossed when you are around families. If the SFL are going to throw people out for fighting in the crowd the perhaps this sought of anti social behaviour should also see them shown the door.

There has been a lot of posters claiming to have seen these incidents over the last couple of years but I wonder how many actually did see them.
It's a funny thing when incidents are taken to the courtroom and under oath the facts are not quite what was put on this very forum. :shock:
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby jet-airport » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:12 pm

well suns out..... big weekend of local footy........... and its quieter than a dog in a hong kong butcher shop on here.............

Can anyone stop the shoes march to the flag?
Will the EMUS come away with 5 grade winners and have a full house GF day?
Have the cockle divers got a few tricks in their heshen sacks?
Are the Winies warming up and going up a gear now its Sept?
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Front & Centre » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:23 pm

OK I am prepared to stick my neck out and attempt to pick the Grand Finalists in all grades.
A - Noarlunga V Morphett Vale
B - Happy Valley V Flagstaff Hill
18 - Happy Valley V Christies Beach
16 - Morphett Vale V Brighton
14 - Happy Valley V Reynella

Anyone else care to have a go?

Possibly my picks are hopeful/biased in the Bs, 18s and 14s but having watched many games of these teams all year I think they are a good chance to make the GF
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:08 pm

MatteeG wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR wrote:What do you want us to say EV?

Nobody likes to see or hear about a player seriously injured playing sport.
I was on far side of oval so didn't see it happen, just the player being assisted off.

Nobody from Flaggies defended our player on the day, or in here
It happened down the far end away from the majority of spectators. As posters can't give any further info, we aren't really in a position to say anything worthwhile.

Once the outcome of the tribunal is known, and our delegate provides information to them, the club will respond to our members.

outcome is now known. Looking forward to you response

I wasn't at the game EV, but from what I have heard it is a big black mark against our player. I'm sure as a club we will work out the best course of action going forward.
5 weeks suspension seems vastly inadequate assuming the damage to the lad is accurate as reported on here. Hoping our world leading medical folk can get him as close as possible to a full recovery.
Once again we are shown how much damage can be done with one punch. It cant be stressed enough.

I respect your comment on the black mark. I hope consideration would be given to internal suspension on top of the league suspension
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Leo wrote:For as long as I have been involved in the SFL as a player, coach, etc (about 26 years), they have never once shown any intent to deter high grade, on field violence. By High grade, I mean behind play, pre meditated, coward punches that have no place at all in our game. As long as this is the case, we will continue to see ugly incidents blighting the game. A former SFL player was last week suspended in the AAFL league for a total of 32 matches for various offences, thus resulting in a life ban because he has gone over the 16 game threshold. Kudos to that league for getting rid of someone that has no place on a football field. At this rate, the offending player here can do this another 2 times and still be allowed to play football. What do you think the result would be if the victim was a child of someone on the tribunal panel?? In any legal system, there is right to appeal. Surely there is a way that the clubs can appeal this decision citing it as manifestly inadequate? Or is it just another case of "What we say is final?" by the league. If it is allowed to be swept under the carpet, then we will be here again in less than 12 months talking about another tragic circumstance involving a young innocent footballer. Shame on the SFL.

Didn't mal lee receieve one or more 10+ game suspensions in the late 90's?
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
fiftympenalty wrote:What a piss weak effort by the league. Gotta do what's necessary to stamp these disgusting acts out of the game, which they did not. Also the offender is an absolute loser. Only benefit I can see of him not getting a life ban is that the porties boys will have a chance to hurt him back next time they meet. Such a poor penalty handed out by the league is to blame for any forthcoming retaliation. And boy do I hope there is some severe retaliation because the victims life is essentially ruined

Do we know who the commissioners hearing it were?

Didnt want to bag Davenport :lol: in case he presided???

Not condoning the incident as this sort of behaviour shouldn't happen in footy but it wasn't behind the play and I hope the Porties player makes a full recovery.

Reynella v Noarlunga GF for me, although must admit Porties have been great this season didn't pick them for top 8 let alone top 4.
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Down the Hill » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:05 pm

Fairly quiet for a big Preliminary Final weekend. All 10 games across the grades were fairly one sided which was a bit of a shame but it probably proves that the 2 best teams in each grade have made the GF. Lots of people were writing off Reynella today in the A grade but they were clearly too good for the Emu's despite some awful kicking. Unbelievable weather across the finals series and let's hope it continues for one more weekend.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:53 am

Mail medal night , who wins?
My tip is Simon Dean
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby vics01 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:46 am

SB

I reckon the shoes will win with the most points..
vics01
Reserves

Postby shoe boy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:28 am

vics01 wrote:SB

I reckon the shoes will win with the most points..

Vics 01 I like you but you are more educated than that.

We played with less points than many in the SFL and you know it.
Don't criticise a club that plays within the rules outlined and has worked its arse off.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL